One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-26 03:24:46

ishkibable

Baby Sling

Baby slings have been around since the beginning of time so that mothers could do stuff while holding and taking care of their babies. There should be a recipe like sheep/bear or other animal skin + rope to allow this to be possible. Maybe you can't pick up certain large or 2 handed items when you have a baby in a sling, but you should at least be able to feed yourself.

#2 2018-06-26 03:35:08

YAHG

Re: Baby Sling

There has been posts about how we probably won't get stuff like this. Even if it is cool.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-06-26 04:44:37

forestglade

YAHG wrote:

There has been posts about how we probably won't get stuff like this. Even if it is cool.

Heh. What was the reasoning against?

#4 2018-06-26 05:54:13

YAHG

Babies supposed to be a pain in the ass to raise. I thought it was in the "core" thread but I can't find it.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#5 2018-06-26 06:00:23

pein

or baby catapults, slings wont throw them far enough tongue

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-06-26 06:02:12

YAHG

pein wrote:

or baby catapults, slings wont throw them far enough tongue

<3

#7 2018-06-26 09:39:41

pennedgalaxy

YAHG wrote:

Babies supposed to be a pain in the ass to raise. I thought it was in the "core" thread but I can't find it.

Honestly I still think you could have baby slings and still have it been a pain in the ass if the kid in the sling's hunger bar still decreases, so you basically have to take the kid out of the sling to be able to feed it. Which if you have another kid with you or are doing something is going to be a pain.

Another idea could be if the baby grows into a toddler whilst in the sling you get slowed down like the murderer mechanic until you get the kid off your back.

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

#8 2018-06-26 10:01:01

pein

pennedgalaxy wrote:
YAHG wrote:

Honestly I still think you could have baby slings and still have it been a pain in the ass if the kid in the sling's hunger bar still decreases, so you basically have to take the kid out of the sling to be able to feed it. Which if you have another kid with you or are doing something is going to be a pain.

Another idea could be if the baby grows into a toddler whilst in the sling you get slowed down like the murderer mechanic until you get the kid off your back.

they could go in pack like pigs do
or in apron
they still dont so jason dont want it
its fine, it doesnt update state until you put down, i seen teenagers starve in their mothers arm, they both got network disconenct so girl was breastfed at 14

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-06-26 17:37:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I don't want to make raising babies any easier.

It's already too easy.  Raising a baby should be a huge sacrifice.  That is what creates a bond between mother and child.

I have three kids in real life, and we used slings and other carriers all the time with them.

However, this is a game, where the simulation is otherwise limited.  The ONLY burden a baby in the game currently creates is that they occupy your hands (and take a small bit of food each time you pick them up).

In real life, a baby creates so many more burdens, even if they don't occupy your hands (because they are in a sling).

I currently think the baby-care part of the game is too boring.  All you do is hold them for three minutes.  I'll be thinking about ways to make it more interesting in the future.

#10 2018-06-26 19:58:17

Turnipseed

jasonrohrer wrote:

It's already too easy.  Raising a baby should be a huge sacrifice.  That is what creates a bond between mother and child.

I have three kids in real life, and we used slings and other carriers all the time with them.

However, this is a game, where the simulation is otherwise limited.  The ONLY burden a baby in the game currently creates is that they occupy your hands (and take a small bit of food each time you pick them up).

In real life, a baby creates so many more burdens, even if they don't occupy your hands (because they are in a sling).

I currently think the baby-care part of the game is too boring.  All you do is hold them for three minutes.  I'll be thinking about ways to make it more interesting in the future.

My mother used to bottle milk for my siblings. Mabey that could be a thing...

Last edited by Turnipseed (2018-06-26 19:59:13)

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#11 2018-06-26 21:04:04

pein

i think predefined messages could be a thing
like i want to tell them to step on items so boars wont attack them
to get branches, clay
but most often i cant cause directing all others
but what if we would have predefined messages with ctrl+(0-9)

as a male would be nice to have milk bottles, maybe cow milk? or goat(that is more healthy and most similar to breast milk)

but having one after holding one makes no sense, feeding one should restart timer
this might kill  a few boys

some way of controlling birth better would be nice
what if i dont want babies? i see a lot of girl suicides, when the only information she has that she is a girl
or what if i want one cause im getting old?

#12 2018-06-26 21:05:14

Christoffer
Website

Turnipseed wrote:

My mother used to bottle milk for my siblings. Mabey that could be a thing...

Only for your siblings? Why didn’t you qualify? Did you get stew instead? (Just messing with ya)
I guess we need to get plastic into the tech tree before we get to breast pumps. The future is bright.

#13 2018-06-26 22:50:26

Anshin

jasonrohrer wrote:

Raising a baby should be a huge sacrifice.  That is what creates a bond between mother and child.

This is backwards. I make huge sacrifices for my kids *because* I love them.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, why/how do people love their kids?

Some basic Mendelian genetics would really really help. (eyes, mouth, hair, skin, etc.)
This would require dads, which has been highly requested.

Also some sort of audible communication beyond baby crying, baby cooing?
And basic audible keyboard emotions for older people: happy (ya!), sad (nooo), angry (a growl), scared (a yelp), neutral (a grunt)...
Parents spend a lot of time making funny noises at their babies.

Make babies act more like babies. Crawling for the first year/minute of their life. (helps prevent baby suicide)

Make babies spawn into their mother's arms. Forcing her to drop whatever she's holding (birth isn't easy).
That would help with babies being auto abandoned while an Eve is running, or if she's in a busy town and can't tell she even had a baby with all the kids around.

A baby bottle. Moms could fill a bottle (at the cost of a hunger pip) by picking up an empty bottle and clicking herself.

More clothes customization, more dyes, symbols (tribes!), because parents love giving their kids special things.

#14 2018-06-27 00:13:19

forestglade

jasonrohrer wrote:

Oh shit. He is making things harder. Thanks 'Baby Sling' thread!

How about you corelate the height of the adult and hunger pips to how well they were taken care of as a baby?
If a baby was barely picked up at the minimum, and the ma barely talks, the baby grows up to be a short adult with less hunger pips.

#15 2018-06-27 19:22:59

Glassius

Making having kids harder? No problem. Immobilize them for first 2 minutes after spawn >)

#16 2018-06-28 22:53:18

ishkibable

jasonrohrer wrote:

If you don't have a backpack though, not having your hands can be a quite a bigger burden than you make it out to be, specifically if you are collecting or transporting items. Additionally, it can cause issues if you are working on time sensitive tasks, although this is harder to solve.

My issue has more to do with the inconvenience of being stopped in your tracks from completing, carrying or transferring something. The 'boring' to me is that the current system can stop/prevent me from exploring/progressing towards other goals in the game if I'm a woman.

I would even be satisfied if you could put babies in a wheelbarrow/cart and balance baskets on your head (like women do with water vases. maybe either with a special basket hat, or a hat that you can put a basket on).

Also, if women switched to a pregnant state before having a baby (shown with a bigger belly), this could also help with planning. Essentially the game would semi-randomly pick when to switch a woman to the pregnant state, and a baby could only show up if a woman was in that pregnant state, although I do understand that the time between switching to pregnant state and having a baby could be inconsistent with having the baby being dependent on new players joining. I guess you could include the new player rate into the pregnant state calculations to make it a bit more reliable.

#17 2018-06-28 23:15:07

DJDisorder

Also, if women switched to a pregnant state before having a baby (shown with a bigger belly), this could also help with planning.

[Watches the forums for people demanding a new belly flop tech line...]
Maybe something involving a new food source...  Let ur nanas go all squishy in the sun then 'lil bumpy does the humpty dumpty?

Last edited by DJDisorder (2018-06-28 23:18:24)

#18 2018-06-28 23:48:00

YAHG

ishkibable wrote:

can stop/prevent me from exploring/progressing towards other goals in the game if I'm a woman.

Realplay <3

#19 2018-11-02 08:03:05

Korilian

I just spend half an hour popping out kids almost non stop. Taking care of babies is already plenty hard.

#20 2018-11-02 08:35:39

MultiLife

Korilian wrote:

I just spend half an hour popping out kids almost non stop. Taking care of babies is already plenty hard.

Yeah I was thinking about this. The game is life but pushed into the limit of 1 hour. Making sacrifices for your 14 kids in that time is ridiculous. I would slowly start to hate playing as a female if there were more difficulties or demands. The babies in the game are adults behind the screen in the end, so in the game they are immobilized adults awaiting to become useful for the family. Not quite like in real life... babies irl are innocent, cute and like a blank canvas. In the game they are not. In the game they have knowledge, demands and aspirations like the adult they are behind it all.

Maybe if specific little tasks would make the baby stronger as they grow could be good, but then again repeating this for your 14 kids is just a nightmare. Even if you had "just 6". I guess I would just abandon all others and upset baby players all the time... I can't choose my pregnancies like ladies usually do in real life.
But yeah the time you have in the game is short and your life from 14 to 40 flies by with babies popping out and asking for tours.
Also if there were extra tasks to give your kid a better life, babies would start demanding that from moms and threaten suiciding..
Ah well. Maybe if dads were added, they would do the baby tasks as moms toured babies or something. Then moms would go to dads to ask for mashed carrot baby foods or something. But babies grow fast.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-11-02 08:39:04)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#21 2018-11-02 13:52:24

Booklat1

I think slings DO allow for more exciting mother/baby gameplay. Much better to teach your kid if you can use your hands to perform tasks.

I think slings should occupy bag slots so its either or and maybe not be available early on to compensate? you'd still have to feed the kid, i mean.

#22 2018-11-03 03:24:59

GreatShawn

pein wrote:

i seen teenagers starve in their mothers arm, they both got network disconenct so girl was breastfed at 14

WHATT? YOU CAN HOLD ONTO BABIES FOREVER??

#23 2018-11-03 07:15:06

WalrusesConquer

Heh I was feeding a lady who had to go afk before she left she was holding a kid
The kid gre w up and didn't want to leave her mother...so she just kept growing.
People thought they were hallucinating lol.
Unfortunately her,mother went old and I asked the daughter to jump.
She said no
"I'll die as I lived. In my mother's arms"
TL:DR you can hold a kid as long as you want but not very practical as you can't do anything

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

Board footer