One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-25 23:42:30

pennedgalaxy

Sheep pens?

One thing I always have to wonder is why not have berries, carrots and wheat right next to a sheep pen? I can understand some worry about the carrots if the sheep got out, but other than that I don't see why it's not a good idea to have a little stock of each crop just for the compost, I hardly ever see towns doing this when to me it makes the most sense? The amount of travel time you waste in a big city is almost like half of your life!

Every time I've tried to start one I've had the misfortune of being female in the game and haven't been able to get them done as I end up being nanny to a bunch of kids and not really being able to move, or I have to forge or do some other skill that's needed more.

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

#2 2018-06-25 23:46:08

startafight

Re: Sheep pens?

its mostly cos the farms get set up before the pens by someone who doesnt have the pen designs in mind. if u ever start a farm + pen combo you should check out mortis designs

#3 2018-06-25 23:50:08

pennedgalaxy

startafight wrote:

its mostly cos the farms get set up before the pens by someone who doesnt have the pen designs in mind. if u ever start a farm + pen combo you should check out mortis designs

I totally understand that! But you'd think someone would just get so tired of the constant running back and forth and add a little farm to the side of the pen to make it easier on themselves, I know that's what motivated me as well as it hopefully being useful for other players.

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

#4 2018-06-26 00:47:37

YAHG

It is a good idea, perhaps add a cistern for water.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#5 2018-06-26 00:51:30

pennedgalaxy

YAHG wrote:

It is a good idea, perhaps add a cistern for water.

That's a good idea too! Especially if the pen isn't located near water which would be the ideal, but usually isn't what ends up happening.

#6 2018-06-26 04:51:31

Sin

I usually do set up a small farm next to the pen if I'm playing shepherd. I like to grow wheat carrots and berries on three different rows then save the fourth row for compost. It's super convenient for me while tending sheep, the only problem is it's usually a bit of a run from the sheep pen to the farms with the composited dirt.

#7 2018-06-26 08:55:09

pein

well, people tend to extend one berry farm indefinitely

i build pens to colder parts, as you will get gear from wool so hot pens are worse
also it needs to be in edge of town to be able to  extend
i generally include a cactus or a pond into it, looks better, functions better

no time to plant big berry field but i guess only the first few would do
btw if you would plant berry 3 sides of the pen, 4 wide, pits could be removed as they wont go out (lambs can go out in 3? on transition) and the fourth side expanded

also carrot pens would be nice, if decay hits in, a pen destroyed, animals cant go in to a pen
and only carrot gets destroyed by sheep

wheat is usually near it i make sure of it
lot of carts get lost so yeah berry near it would make sene

only that people tend to make big blocks of berry big blocks of graves
helps nobody in long run
leave some free tiles ffs
now imagine, 3rd gen you got enough graves t make a pen out of it, then build around with berry bushes
then just remove the graves or transport it
i guess a pen at least 7x7 inside and 4 rows/columns of berries around it could be done

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-06-26 09:30:50

pennedgalaxy

pein wrote:

well, people tend to extend one berry farm indefinitely

i build pens to colder parts, as you will get gear from wool so hot pens are worse
also it needs to be in edge of town to be able to  extend
i generally include a cactus or a pond into it, looks better, functions better

no time to plant big berry field but i guess only the first few would do
btw if you would plant berry 3 sides of the pen, 4 wide, pits could be removed as they wont go out (lambs can go out in 3? on transition) and the fourth side expanded

also carrot pens would be nice, if decay hits in, a pen destroyed, animals cant go in to a pen
and only carrot gets destroyed by sheep

wheat is usually near it i make sure of it
lot of carts get lost so yeah berry near it would make sene

only that people tend to make big blocks of berry big blocks of graves
helps nobody in long run
leave some free tiles ffs
now imagine, 3rd gen you got enough graves t make a pen out of it, then build around with berry bushes
then just remove the graves or transport it
i guess a pen at least 7x7 inside and 4 rows/columns of berries around it could be done

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the advice. Also what's your personal opinion on all the huge berry farms you see in villages these days? That's what I usually the see the majority of the compost being for and they're super unsustainable in my opinion, you end up using compost faster than you can make it.

Last edited by pennedgalaxy (2018-06-26 09:31:29)

#9 2018-06-26 10:55:41

pein

i seen 7x10? running out under the baby locusts, so hard to sustain, but not because too big, because people dont make compost

so it needs to be huge
but not in big blocks

personally i would plant them checkboard pattern, so every second tile, then under it offset
this would help with placing bucket, soil and bowls between
so lets say you place like this:
r-road/ t-free tile/ c-cistern/ b-bush
r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r
r-b-t-b-t-b-r
r-t-b-c-b-t-r
r-b-t-b-t-b-r
r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r
3x5 with 8 bush, 6 free, makes 56 berries, one compost enough for 3 refills needs 24 water, sustains 3 persons almost

mortis 3x3 also okay, but not enough free space

the biggest problem i see that is only one huge berry farm which limits kids to go further so 4 corners, 4 smaller berry fields are better or a road with a line of berries

now lets say you plant all around the city, in 4 rows, bear cant get in
sheep stays in
then you can make a pen for carrot or just outside of berry

im all for more cycles than more bushes
imagine you got 30 bushes and you make baskets from wheat, store berry, fix berry as soon as it goes languishing
6 times 15 is enough for a lifetime for a person, but you can put soil and water and recharge each 10 min max
so we should aim at 30 people
this means 100 bushes enough for hard working people
but then there is the waste, the lazy people, the berry bowls

i seen bushes far from water and i seen towns run out of water
so i think the positioning should be near a pond/cistern and smaller packs spread out

also with the new variety bonus you cant just eat berry
and is slower and worse than carrot, only it doesnt need tilling

i think most calories lost are because people dont manage it properly
lets say a kid eats a carrot, loses one-four calory, in long run this is a lot
so i think corn is not only better, but saves the most on food, as usually people can manage it better
but yeah corn needs bowls, fire, time, kind of lot of work

stew is good but more often than not, it just takes up a huge place leaving seeds out, bowls plates around, beans on floor
and you cant take stew in pack

exploring is always needed, carts, baskets, clay, retrieving items

wheat leaves a lot of grain if you make baskets and only carrot pies can get rid of it
but as long is outside of city is ok

im still on old machine so i didnt had many big projects nowadays
my grave pen a few weeks ago was a viable pie making spot

Last edited by pein (2018-06-26 10:56:20)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-06-26 11:01:46

pennedgalaxy

pein wrote:

i seen 7x10? running out under the baby locusts, so hard to sustain, but not because too big, because people dont make compost

so it needs to be huge
but not in big blocks

personally i would plant them checkboard pattern, so every second tile, then under it offset
this would help with placing bucket, soil and bowls between
so lets say you place like this:
r-road/ t-free tile/ c-cistern/ b-bush
r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r
r-b-t-b-t-b-r
r-t-b-c-b-t-r
r-b-t-b-t-b-r
r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r
3x5 with 8 bush, 6 free, makes 56 berries, one compost enough for 3 refills needs 24 water, sustains 3 persons almost

mortis 3x3 also okay, but not enough free space

the biggest problem i see that is only one huge berry farm which limits kids to go further so 4 corners, 4 smaller berry fields are better or a road with a line of berries

now lets say you plant all around the city, in 4 rows, bear cant get in
sheep stays in
then you can make a pen for carrot or just outside of berry

im all for more cycles than more bushes
imagine you got 30 bushes and you make baskets from wheat, store berry, fix berry as soon as it goes languishing
6 times 15 is enough for a lifetime for a person, but you can put soil and water and recharge each 10 min max
so we should aim at 30 people
this means 100 bushes enough for hard working people
but then there is the waste, the lazy people, the berry bowls

i seen bushes far from water and i seen towns run out of water
so i think the positioning should be near a pond/cistern and smaller packs spread out

also with the new variety bonus you cant just eat berry
and is slower and worse than carrot, only it doesnt need tilling

i think most calories lost are because people dont manage it properly
lets say a kid eats a carrot, loses one-four calory, in long run this is a lot
so i think corn is not only better, but saves the most on food, as usually people can manage it better
but yeah corn needs bowls, fire, time, kind of lot of work

stew is good but more often than not, it just takes up a huge place leaving seeds out, bowls plates around, beans on floor
and you cant take stew in pack

exploring is always needed, carts, baskets, clay, retrieving items

wheat leaves a lot of grain if you make baskets and only carrot pies can get rid of it
but as long is outside of city is ok

im still on old machine so i didnt had many big projects nowadays
my grave pen a few weeks ago was a viable pie making spot

The problem I've seen in regards to the berry bushes is huge plots of land but no space for compost or as you say there's no water nearby! Another issue with them I've found is that all the compost goes to maintaining them so I end up seeing farms dying off in other corners of the village that usually do have the water to maintain themselves, but not the compost- I've seen a lot of squash, bean and corn patches die and not be replanted because of this unfortunately, which is a bit worrying since they're a better food source if you have the time.

I'll definitely take your suggestions into mind if I ever get the chance to do an Eve run which is feeling rarer and rarer these days with the reworking of the lineage ban?

Board footer