One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-03-09 20:55:14

vilka

Re: Thoughts on new March 8th, 2018 update

Computer1633 wrote:

While I have not had a chance yet to try out the new update, from what I have read and with all the whining people are doing on the forums...I hope he does not decide to dumb it down for people. Let them whine and leave if they find the game too hard to survive in. It makes for a much better, less toxic community of players really trying to survive together.

Bit of a rude thing to say to people giving their thoughts on the update in a post called "Thoughts on new March 8th, 2018 update". It's not whining, just people having an opinion you don't agree with about the update you state you haven't even tried yet.

As for toxic, all the rest of your comment is a good example of toxic.

It's not dumbing the game down to make the game what it was just yesterday. People aren't surviving together because they can't, even two babies is enough to wipe you out so the game have become "sorry, no food" and watching baby after baby die, those babies being real players that are begging for a chance to not have to reroll yet again. All night "p.l.z.F" but I can't and it sucks. There is less togetherness now, you are better off alone in the game then with other players. 

and lastly, what makes for a better community is people not trying to shut down others opinions by calling them whiners and that they can leave if they don't like it.

#52 2018-03-09 20:59:22

Laura

It was SO amazing.
People help and talk to each other!
Mom help and teach Kids, old People give advices ... there where other Gamers
who protect of bears and others who craft and we all learn and have fun.

And now we all starve.
I try to make a bow and starve.
I try to get water and starve.
I try to make a home marker and starve.

This is a starving Simulator now sad((

I am self employed and sit all day home alone and it was SO amazing to Play this game.
I work really hard and this game give me the Feeling to an open new world and now i´m stuck
and go back to work =_=
I wish i have never found and buy this game sad
And i really hope that all of you have fun and like Play the game but ... i think i quit here.

#53 2018-03-09 21:22:28

DeadEye

Laura wrote:

It was SO amazing.

And now we all starve.

I am self employed and sit all day home alone and it was SO amazing to Play this game.
I work really hard and this game give me the Feeling to an open new world and now i´m stuck
and go back to work =_=
And i really hope that all of you have fun and like Play the game but ... i think i quit here.

Quitting over a single update in a game that is constantly being updated is a little silly.

I've also played quite a bit of the new update. While certainly, it is more challenging, it's not impossible. The biggest problem I find is with new or inexperienced players who can be the downfall of an entire society. Whether they are being wasteful with resources or wasting time doing tasks that don't actually help a village to survive. A little tweak to the food / temperature system wouldn't hurt either as even fully clothed in furs you are nowhere near optimal.

Personally I think they need to adjust the roles of males in the game. Maybe they can have a bigger hunger bar, drain hunger slower, or perform some task better than a woman. The reason I say this is because I let 99% of males born to me die. They have no advantage, and is in fact a burden on your village if you are thinking about future generations. I've had several times now where my one girl logs off or dies in some way and I pretty much just feel like starting over because I know the village has no future with only a son remaining. I try to tough it out and prepare a nice settlement for someone to stumble across but it feels fruitless.

#54 2018-03-09 21:26:30

Antichthon

The biggest problem with this update is that ostensibly its purpose is to eliminate exploiting infinite resources. It does the opposite. Instead of one part relying on infinite dirt, its five parts relying on infinite Eves.

If we were a hivemind of hundreds of players the game as it stands would be viable, but that level of organization does not and simply cannot exist. Humans only manage it in real life because our lives are longer than an hour allowing for the transmission of culture, and we're a damn sight more invested in surviving. We don't get infinite Eves.

The "Everything runs out" philosophy has to cheat somewhere to avoid human extinction.  Let the cheats be in favor of the fun aspects of the game, instead of the unfun ones.

#55 2018-03-09 21:53:24

asterlea

There was another update today, he made food give more calories, compost give more soil, domestic carrot seeds can be used twice, and carrot farms degrade more slowly. Please voice your concerns, but there's no need to panic! Try again with these new changes and see if that helps, or if you think further tweaking is still necessary.

#56 2018-03-09 22:04:53

Norgg

Done right you can now actually expand a farm with only access to water, while before you needed reeds to renewably create more soil and even then it was pretty slow. Berries are a bit of a bottleneck, but the three soil per compost change lets you plant a bush, replant a wheat and have one left over. Mix in some wild berries and reeds and you can build a farm up from very little soil in a lifetime.

It's delicate to keep everything in balance just right but I think it's actually easier if you manage it.

#57 2018-03-09 22:14:22

Milkman

asterlea wrote:

Please voice your concerns, but there's no need to panic!

+1
Honestly to me the patch sounded a bit knee-jerky to the clearly dominant strategy of carrot farms. Haven't played since it's been announced as to me it was obvious it would need more rebalancing. If you aren't happy with the state of the balance right now don't worry, just wait for new patches.

#58 2018-03-09 22:33:09

tigerbgood

vilka wrote:
Computer1633 wrote:

While I have not had a chance yet to try out the new update, from what I have read and with all the whining people are doing on the forums...I hope he does not decide to dumb it down for people. Let them whine and leave if they find the game too hard to survive in. It makes for a much better, less toxic community of players really trying to survive together.

Bit of a rude thing to say to people giving their thoughts on the update in a post called "Thoughts on new March 8th, 2018 update". It's not whining, just people having an opinion you don't agree with about the update you state you haven't even tried yet.

As for toxic, all the rest of your comment is a good example of toxic.

It's not dumbing the game down to make the game what it was just yesterday. People aren't surviving together because they can't, even two babies is enough to wipe you out so the game have become "sorry, no food" and watching baby after baby die, those babies being real players that are begging for a chance to not have to reroll yet again. All night "p.l.z.F" but I can't and it sucks. There is less togetherness now, you are better off alone in the game then with other players. 

and lastly, what makes for a better community is people not trying to shut down others opinions by calling them whiners and that they can leave if they don't like it.

I couldn't agree more.

As someone who has been playing this game for one week now, I have to say that it didn't feel way too easy for me before the update. 90% of the time (when I was not instantly abandoned) I had to help at the carrot farms. I would love to experience more aspects of the game, building a house, hunting a bear... If experienced players want more of a challenge and think it's all to easy, maybe it's time for servers with different levels of difficulty. How should "toxic" newbies learn how to play the game, if it's a challenge even for game veterans?

#59 2018-03-09 23:53:15

Capper

I hope everything gets better after reading how difficult the game has become, my computer broke down yesterday so i haven't been able to play the new update. The thing i like about this game is the way everyone is working together, people being friendly and people taking their roles serious and teaching each other how to play.

I have to admit that i thought the game was overhyped at first glance, but after i played it myself i really liked the unique experience and the great community. The game was not easy but not difficult to the point of being unplayable, i think it was pretty balanced also because most people didn't know how to maintain the farms, so you could quickly run out of food and starve. I can't wait to play this game again and when i get my computer back, this game is probably the first one i will play.

#60 2018-03-10 00:07:53

Ants

Laura wrote:

It was SO amazing.

And now we all starve.

and go back to work =_=

Don't quit, Laura! Noo!

#61 2018-03-10 02:44:42

Laura

Ants wrote:

Don't quit, Laura! Noo!

I have give it another Change and want to Count to 100.
I died everytime.
100 times in a row.
More then 80x starving with 0 years old.
More then 10x starving with 1 year old.
And the rest Born as a full grown up starving bc nothing is near.

the update is the biggest shit i have ever seen.
Absolutely waste of time.
This makes me unbelivable sad.

#62 2018-03-10 02:45:48

Laura

Oh and one time i was Born in a small town and two mothers stay next to me.

Mom 1: you cunt
Mom 2: die and starve bitch

AMAZING

#63 2018-03-10 03:14:14

Antarys

You sure complain a lot, just come back next week if you are not happy with the current patch.

#64 2018-03-10 03:36:52

jord1990

So after playing on a custom server with the new changes (3 soil per compost, seeds can be used 2 times) I can say thats its fine with a group of players who know what theyre doing(Which I never  thought wasn't going to be the case) The main concern that I had was time to teach new players and with the double seed use and one extra soil per compost you have gained allot more time. Tomorow im gonna start trying to teach settlements of 3-4 people how to compost and I hope theyll spread it to their childeren aswell. In the end we will see and although not all of us may agree with the change Im happy to see that Jason is actually on top of this and is listening to what is going on!

#65 2018-03-10 04:57:38

Twinsen

Laura wrote:

Oh and one time i was Born in a small town and two mothers stay next to me.

Mom 1: you cunt
Mom 2: die and starve bitch

AMAZING

People are just mean, it happens before the update anyway. Remember all those A-holes that say boobies and trolls going on an eating frenzy? I would prefer this un-patched update stay over the weekend so we get more data and, IMFO, get rid of these silly people.

#66 2018-03-10 05:57:08

vilka

Laura wrote:
Ants wrote:

Don't quit, Laura! Noo!

I have give it another Change and want to Count to 100.
I died everytime.
100 times in a row.
More then 80x starving with 0 years old.
More then 10x starving with 1 year old.
And the rest Born as a full grown up starving bc nothing is near.

the update is the biggest shit i have ever seen.
Absolutely waste of time.
This makes me unbelivable sad.

come check out the server Norgg made, it's everything you want in the game. We have a nice little area going now and I am able to actually learn from others.

from his post

To join, you'll want to edit:

settings/customServerAddress.ini to contain: new.norgg.org
settings/useCustomServer.ini to contain: 1

#67 2018-03-10 06:07:35

ameliewilde

Laura wrote:

Cool - we have ice and snow now and ... reborn with NO mom around.
I start the game 30 times!!!
And:
- no mom
- mom doesn´t move
- mom run away
- mom take me and starve
- i am in a town and everyone else starve bc of no Food

yeah. Amazing this shit update. I will not Play this game in a time ...
It was so much fun and i told all my friends about it and now ...

Waste of fun and time sad

I am so much in the same boat as you, but I still have hope. People will learn, compost will become main stream and we will enjoy multiplayer again. But until then... :

I just saw this post https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 2112#p2112

Maybe would help to keep you playing?

Board footer