One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 03:03:16

Twinsen

Thoughts on new March 8th, 2018 update

Carrots and seed farm:
I guess we probably need to rewrite our newbie guys, Tenents and our sustainable farming technique now as when Carrot turned into seeds, the soil below will be come non fertile thus requiring us to start making compost. The one carrot rule now is even more toxic to the land than ever before so now this old rule is totally thrown out of window. However, that doesn't mean that making a row of carrot seed is much better either.

Wild carrots are now probably even more important as it will gives seeds even though it's very slowly; but I suspect that Jason would probably nerf this once we get used to the new carrot mechanic.

I think now we need to teach people to not eat berries unless necessary.

Further, the food eating bonus is also reduced; in other words, it's even more vital to have children to drink breast milk than eating a carrot him/herself.

Fire and warm clothes:
Now I have died so times that I cannot say if warmth is nerfed or not. Assuming that the value is the same, with food being more scared than ever, keep the fire going and have naked people to just stand there instead of "Chop! chop! get more berries" is actually a more survivable solution than ever because being naked and work consumes much more food in the long run.

#2 2018-03-09 03:23:24

Portager

Re: Thoughts on new March 8th, 2018 update

This update is a huge game changer, and is going to cause people to have to rewrite the rules for their civs. I appreciate this change though, since in the real world you cannot work a plot of land for a long period of time without proper fertilization.

While new rules and play styles develop, the best short term strategy is going to have to be to keep a civ sparsely populated and manageable.  Now more than ever, if you have dead weight at your camp, your likelihood of starving is also higher. People are quick to discard male babies in this game, but since this system is going to require more labor, having unencumbered males at your camp that can do the grunt work is going to become important.

#3 2018-03-09 03:30:19

KewlCrayon

Waiting for the SJWs to discover a game where males work harder/more because they're not stuck raising children, and women have to stay near their homes/firepits to feed and raise their kids.

Adult Women in this game cant seem to do the long distance scavenging and hunting since they might suddenly pop one out in the woods and have to either ditch the resources or abandon the baby. Men just stroll in an out of the camp with wolf pelts like "Woo yeah boys look what I got, *chestbump*"
I feel sorry for the women of 1H1L.

#4 2018-03-09 04:21:51

asterlea

KewlCrayon wrote:

Waiting for the SJWs to discover a game where males work harder/more because they're not stuck raising children, and women have to stay near their homes/firepits to feed and raise their kids.

Males have an easier time doing different work. Raising children is work, and not all females need to be involved in it. It is a bit more advantageous to do work closer to the village while you're of child-bearing age, so you can dump your kid at the fire for someone else to take care of, but it's still possible to go out and just have a kid follow you back while you carry whatever you went out for. I do it all the time, and it's actually necessary to do as an Eve. Similarly, males can raise children, and I have raised orphans as a male before, it's just not as resource efficient, and harder to do outside of settlements.

- an SJW who discovered the game tongue

Last edited by asterlea (2018-03-09 04:23:27)

#5 2018-03-09 06:13:26

yvanhooe

Note that having a wooden floor helps keep warm. I advocate for big, floored workshops.

#6 2018-03-09 10:17:10

ameliewilde

About warmth: The backpack used to give warm bonus. Now it doesn't.

I expressed my opinion about the drop in eating bonus in another thread. But I am not a fan. Especially now that finding food is harder, I don't see the point on making it even faster to get hungry...

I mean, I liked this game for a slightly casual game play where you still have the time pressure. But now, it is just hardcore and stressfull. I hope he increases the eating bonus.

If he does, I am a fan of the changes to food system that encourages variety.

#7 2018-03-09 10:32:04

Phate

The one thing that is incredible is how many things were added to the game. 

Does this mean there is now an ice biome?  And if so, does that mean the city maps are now out of date? Or are these in extreme remote "off the known world" type locations?

I can't imagine a penguin living in any of the four existing biomes.

#8 2018-03-09 10:33:20

dana

KewlCrayon wrote:

Adult Women in this game cant seem to do the long distance scavenging and hunting since they might suddenly pop one out in the woods and have to either ditch the resources or abandon the baby. Men just stroll in an out of the camp with wolf pelts like "Woo yeah boys look what I got, *chestbump*"
I feel sorry for the women of 1H1L.

Men can’t continue a lineage, which is a major goal of this game. The resources put into a male child who can’t reproduce is resources that aren’t put into a female child who can. This game reflects ancient human history, hundreds of thousands of years ago, back when modern medicine wasn’t invented yet, and isn’t relevant at all to the struggles of women today.

(Is this really what you do with your life? Going around, laughing ‘omg, I can’t wait for the SJWs to get triggered?)

#9 2018-03-09 11:19:07

Twinsen

ameliewilde wrote:

I mean, I liked this game for a slightly casual game play where you still have the time pressure. But now, it is just hardcore and stressfull. I hope he increases the eating bonus.

When I finally willing to take on kids after a week of game play, now I am back to square one for keep saying "sorry BB no food".

I don't expect this to be casual game though but right now I have to say I felt like playing an FPS or RTS. Hopefully the lag would be lessen as right now my character just humping items wasting precious time. Survival is all about adaptation and we shall see how it goes.

At least right now we are more and more into making rabbit/carrot pies to make food more effective.

#10 2018-03-09 11:24:04

vilka

ameliewilde wrote:

I expressed my opinion about the drop in eating bonus in another thread. But I am not a fan. Especially now that finding food is harder, I don't see the point on making it even faster to get hungry...

I'm with you on this. Was nice being able to explore all parts of the game but now it's just trying to go one more min before starving by finding the next berry tree. I was loving making things like wheel barrows and buildings but now its trying to scramble for your next meal before you and your kids starve. Agree, it's stressful. And frustrating, not really fun now.

#11 2018-03-09 11:38:01

Twinsen

vilka wrote:
ameliewilde wrote:

I'm with you on this. Was nice being able to explore all parts of the game but now it's just trying to go one more min before starving by finding the next berry tree. I was loving making things like wheel barrows and buildings but now its trying to scramble for your next meal before you and your kids starve. Agree, it's stressful. And frustrating, not really fun now.

When I started this post, I am trying to keep things neutral... but after further playing this for like 3 hours straight, this is my comment to your frustration:

If you need to search berry trees like that? Just die, don't waste food on yourself and clinch on to life, seriously. The food bonus and the need of clothing makes a naked person seriously useless. I managed to find a place with like 10 berry bushes around; but since water and clay is too far away, my 40ish person can only managed to make those three basic tools and I just so frustrated that I just stop eating around 55. Before I die, those ten berry bushes only have around like one or two left.

Remember land's resource are limited; and the one and only unlimited resource is Eve.

#12 2018-03-09 11:47:03

ameliewilde

Twinsen wrote:
vilka wrote:
ameliewilde wrote:

When I started this post, I am trying to keep things neutral... but after further playing this for like 3 hours straight, this is my comment to your frustration:

If you need to search berry trees like that? Just die, don't waste food on yourself and clinch on to life, seriously. The food bonus and the need of clothing makes a naked person seriously useless. I managed to find a place with like 10 berry bushes around; but since water and clay is too far away, my 40ish person can only managed to make those three basic tools and I just so frustrated that I just stop eating around 55. Before I die, those ten berry bushes only have around like one or two left.

Remember land's resource are limited; and the one and only unlimited resource is Eve.

This is the nightmare of a game developer though: people not being able to play the game as intended and having to find tricks like "logging off and on". That's why I think Jason would want to take back the change, cause he wants people to be able to survive as naked Eve's. That's the only way the whole system could ever work.

So its not a solution to try logging off and on until you are born to a wealthy family.

#13 2018-03-09 12:04:07

mrfox

ameliewilde wrote:

So its not a solution to try logging off and on until you are born to a wealthy family.

If only real life had this option big_smile

#14 2018-03-09 12:16:13

Twinsen

ameliewilde wrote:

This is the nightmare of a game developer though: people not being able to play the game as intended and having to find tricks like "logging off and on". That's why I think Jason would want to take back the change, cause he wants people to be able to survive as naked Eve's. That's the only way the whole system could ever work.

Actually, carrot seeding kills soil is indeed in line with Jason's vision about his world; I have been fine with it when I started this post. For example, a week ago, someone asked, "do we have anything to eat other than carrots?" Now, I think about it this new change force us to make more advanced food like pie and utilize a hardly used tech, the compost.

I am just not convinced having the food bonus reduced... yet. Maybe after even a few more hours of playing, I would get the hand of it.

#15 2018-03-09 12:28:01

vilka

ameliewilde wrote:

And the problem with that is even if you get lucky to get born into a good camp now, they most likely let you die because they are struggling with food.

I lasted longer on my own compared to a good camp now because of this and being on my own I last as long as the next berry bush most times while trying to get supplies.

#16 2018-03-09 12:54:43

ned

Jason also updated domestic berries to give us more food than wild type. When they're taken care of, they can live forever, right? It seems like incorporating domestic berries into a growing farm will have to be the way to adapt to the carrot seeding problem.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#17 2018-03-09 13:44:02

vilka

I give up, I tried all night to give this a chance but the game isn't fun anymore. My last game I was able to make 1-2 rabbits between tending to the fire and hunting rabbits while the other two people tried to survive from the farm while we let kid after kid die cause we were barely able to live. I made it to 35 before I died going too far to try to find another rabbit to stay alive, irony. And that's the longest Ive lasted since the update unless I never take on a kid or live while they die from lack of food which kind of defeats the point of having the next generation take over.

The game is now just trying to not starve, there is no time to explore, build, and enjoy the game and sure as heck no time to make food from wheat while on the edge of death every minute. I can't play any more or I will end quitting completely out of frustration so I'll have to wait and see if anything changes but if not this update was a game killer for me.

#18 2018-03-09 14:55:21

xoomorg

ned wrote:

Jason also updated domestic berries to give us more food than wild type. When they're taken care of, they can live forever, right? It seems like incorporating domestic berries into a growing farm will have to be the way to adapt to the carrot seeding problem.

The key phrase there is "when they're taken care of" since that is NOT going to always be true.  However, it's also the case that abandoned carrot farms will eventually turn to seed and destroy the soil as well.  So really might as well go with berries, there's not as much of a penalty as there was before, relatively speaking.

#19 2018-03-09 15:23:16

jord1990

Okay so after hopping into a couple of lives just to see people absolutly destroy all the soil in the area because they have no clue what compost even is. I must really, REALLY!! say that this update is not good for the game. Not only does atleast 70% of the player base have no clue what compost even is. But also because with the new harsh farming mechanics it just forces you to abandon more babies then ever because there is not food. You don't have the time to explain anything because you need to farm! you can't do anything beside Farm!!!  Food just became 99% of the game again instead of the 80% it used to be.

I'll leave the strawpoll here again.
https://strawpoll.com/2h83wacp

#20 2018-03-09 15:25:47

Matok

Yeah I noticed a lot more baby death last night. I spent a half hour last night after the update just trying to get past age 0, and the few times I spawned as an Eve instead, I'd instantly have a kid that I couldn't take care of. This tells me that there's probably a lot of people respawning over and over, so a new player experience may be just repeated starvation. It reached a point where I was actually yelling at the screen that "I just want to play the game".

I don't know if infant mortality rates were really that high thousands of years ago.

Part of the issue is that a naked kid roaming around eats 3 times as much as a clothed full grown adult. That... doesn't seem right to me. I feel like maybe if food usage on kids ramped up with age then people might not be so quick to just discard them like trash.

But as is babies are being ignored now by quite a few people, because they really are a huge waste of limited resources.

It's frustrating, but maybe it'll smooth out.

xoomorg wrote:
ned wrote:

The key phrase there is "when they're taken care of" since that is NOT going to always be true.  However, it's also the case that abandoned carrot farms will eventually turn to seed and destroy the soil as well.  So really might as well go with berries, there's not as much of a penalty as there was before, relatively speaking.

Since both end up in the soil getting lost when abandoned, we should be looking at the upkeep effort vs food produced. Do we have a comparison on how much water usage per food output we get for the berries vs the carrots? We might be just running ourselves ragged on water trips by farming massive carrot farms now.

#21 2018-03-09 15:44:38

Laura

I don´t like the update.
Soil isn´t that much available and i´m searching for death because i´m starving much faster too!
This game is now: eat and survive ...

I write a couple of days ago: we Need more berry bushed, not starving that fast ... And now he have the
opposide of my wished sad

I really enjoyed to Play this game for 2-3 hours a day (between my work, i am self employed) and it was so
amazing. Yesterday ... i Play 20 Minutes and don´t like it hmm

I hope he will make a game Change again.

New Players starve much faster and i think that they don´t like it too when they haven´t a Chance to grow up.
So they give bad Reviews and quit the game.

And this game is amazing and lovable - but now a bit TOO hard.

#22 2018-03-09 16:53:25

Portager

All the villages that I have spawned in have died of starvation, the composting certainly makes this game 5x more challenging.

I think for now, the best option is to find some clothes and then live a life of migration with maybe one other pop. Perhaps these migrating groups could plant gooseberry bushes as they travel so that other travelers in the future have food sources available (I'm not sure if this is possible with the new update, do seeds produce domestic or wild bushes?).

#23 2018-03-09 17:07:39

denriguez

jord1990 wrote:

But also because with the new harsh farming mechanics it just forces you to abandon more babies then ever because there is not food. You don't have the time to explain anything because you need to farm! you can't do anything beside Farm!!!  Food just became 99% of the game again instead of the 80% it used to be.

I signed up for the forums to post exactly this. One of the best and most compelling parts of the game pre-update was the oral tradition--mothers teaching youngsters as they huddled around a fire, elders blessing their children and passing on their furs before dying, etc. I played for about 2 hours last night, and even when I spawned into an established settlement, Eves could barely feed the babies, let alone teach them. No one was old enough to be considered an elder, and very few people were clothed. I get that the game isn't intended to be "fun," but the update seriously killed any enjoyment for me.

#24 2018-03-09 17:38:39

xoomorg

Matok wrote:

We might be just running ourselves ragged on water trips by farming massive carrot farms now.

I don't understand why people build farms away from water.  Just build them on the same screen as the ponds.  Then there's no need for multiple water pouches (one is sufficient) and the farmer can keep an eye on both the fields and the ponds, and can easily get the water themselves without having to take their eye of the fields.

#25 2018-03-09 17:46:26

xoomorg

I haven't actually gotten to play since the update, and while it upsets me to hear that my efforts in building sustainable tiny farms are now basically for naught, in principle I support the change.  I think this was probably always the intention (that soil "run out" as well... EVERYTHING RUNS OUT) and we were just given a free pass for a while, to make it easier until people were more experienced.

I don't think the current difficulty is permanent -- and I admit my opinion on things may change once I actually get to play again (probably this weekend.)  But I think we just need to focus even more on building sustainable ready-to-go farms (and trapper/furrier camps, milkweed plantations, etc.) so that a wandering Eve stumbles across something that can help them get established.

Stop building large settlements!  That did not happen in real human history, until we had spread out.  It should not happen in this game, either.  First we should seed the land with ready-to-go tiny settlements.  THEN we can focus on building more advanced ones.

I think of a tiny farm as a kind of renewable resource.  Just as properly managed ponds will refill, properly trapped rabbit holes will repopulate, properly harvested milkweed will regrow, we should start constructing tiny farms that will renew themselves.  But not larger.  The smallest self-sustaining establishment possible -- and spread them all over the map.

With a farm, the limiting resource is the water.  Everything else forms a closed loop.  If you build a tiny farm next to some ponds, then so long as the ponds refill the farm should be simple to revive.

Board footer