One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-06-23 11:21:50

sc0rp

Re: Civilization isn't civilized people

Neo wrote:

This is just for people like BreezeKnight and Sc0rp always complaining about griefing. Violance is a thing that you need to accept, It's kill or be killed.

I've been on both ends of the knife, I've been killed plenty but it's not a big deal to me. Just respawn and start a new life, Build a new town if you have to. Nothing will last forever in this game even if there was everlasting peace towns would eventually die out.

You shouldn't expect every town to peaceful, You probably will be killed for your backpack and your right shoe. Perhaps next time you will take precautions to keep the knife away from crazy lunatics. You should remain vigilant at all times, Don't hang around people with weapons out. Don't stand still. If someone is suspicious or anti-social then you should definitely kill them first.

Anyway don't feel disheartened if your murdered, It's just a game after all.

You kind of misreading what I'm saying.  I'm not complaining about griefing per se, but only instances where griefing is OP - i.e. where noob griefer in few minutes can wipe out the whole town or make it unhabitable or cause problems that will take two generations to fix without any viable way to prevent it by the people building the town.  There are still few things like that, but with each version fewer and fewer.  E.g. with recent changes, where you can target murderer hiding behing the tree, mass murder should be pretty easy to counter.  So if your town gets wiped out by mass murderer, it's really your fault now.  If anything, I may think that it has been actually nerfed too much (with extended slowdown, etc.).

I still don't know for example how to protect usefull trees in green biome.  Cutting them basically makes whole town unhabitable after a while.  And you can cut the trees very very quickly, which means that somebody needs to be standing there just looking over them for 20 gens/20h straight, which is kind of very boring gameplay, so no real hope that anybody will be doing it.  Maybe we should make cutting them more difficult (multistep, like uprooting berry bushes), so you have to check only once in a while.

Poking one or two bear caves, luring bears into camp and shooting fleeing people in the back in early 2nd/3rd gen village is another example of something that I don't have a clue how to defend against.  And when I asked, nobody suggested anything sensible.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-23 12:32:26)

#27 2018-06-23 11:46:51

sc0rp

lostlandofcarrots wrote:

I was in a fledgling town today, gen 5. I spent my entire life making food and tools and fetching stuff. When I was forty-fiftyish, we had gone from zero tools to axe, shovel, hoe, froe, pick and adze, we were making stew, and all that along with teaching some new players stuff.

It took one person. One. To end it all.

He didn't need to prepare. He didn't need to do anything. He just made a bow and arrow and killed all four fertile women. He even hung around camp most of the time. We couldn't defend ourselves, because all milkweed was depleted.

I don't care if it's realistic (which it isn't), or what have you. One person being able to destroy the effort of ten other people in a heartbeat is fucked up. It's bad game design.

I've earned the prestigious award for being a "chief complainer about griefing" on this forum.  I know how you feel and symphatize with you.  But I also think it's all your fault here (by "you" I mean the whole village).  Not having a bow and arrow for defense at 5th gen?  Really?  I feel insecure if I don't have one late 2nd/early 3rd gen.

And how could he kill four women?  Even 3yo kid can steal the arrow.  Nobody had this idea?  What I did in similar situation?  I stole arrow, went to make a bow, griefer had to go to make another arrow.  Then we met again, but both of us with armed bows.  Even if he could manage to kill me (which he didn't), somebody else could take my bow and kill him back.  Problem solved.

Milkweed depleted?  I plant milkweed like crazy from 2nd gen - that's necessary anyway to replace all the stone hoes before you get to steel tools. One stone hoe on average will tile fully (twice) only 5 rows in addition to 4 necessary for milkweed to get the next one. 

The whole point of Jason's idea is instead of having derpy NPC, that pose no real challenge, is to have real griefers as crimnals.  Which I like a lot.  So griefers are not going anywhere.  You need not only to secure food, but also prepare defense as well.  And I'm completely fine with that, as long as griefers don't have OP tools and you have fair chance to defend from them.  Town has to defend against every single griefer, but griefer needs to win only once to wipe out town.  So it shouldn't be easy to cause massive damage.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-23 12:14:49)

#28 2018-06-23 16:07:54

karltown

It’s true that you can just “quit and start another life” after you’re griefed, no harm done, but most people don’t feel like that. Think back to when you were a newer player, not sure when that was. The first time you were griefed, did you just say “oh well” and get on with another life? You can’t honestly tell me you didn’t feel angry at all. Griefing is just going to discourage new players from playing, frustrate the older players and bring you a few minutes of satisfaction.

Not that I don’t feel like griefing sometimes. A few weeks ago, after being shot in my last life I decided to grief. I made a bow and showed up in the village but after the kindness my mother had shown me as a child I couldn’t do it. Instead I shot a goose and a mouflon with lamb. I died at age 25 by a rattle snake, by that time we had sheep and a file. Trust me, it feels much better to do something for your village rather than to grief.

Every time time you pick a seed carrot a penguin dies.

Board footer