One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-21 18:01:21

Lotus

N/A

n/a

Last edited by Lotus (2018-12-26 06:36:59)

#2 2018-06-21 18:25:25

YAHG

Re: N/A

The ones who bring you food all the time are usually good ones in my book.

Morti does seem to have the best village plans. I wonder how many Mortivilles I have lived in, I don't think I have ever been a Sol.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-06-21 18:34:19

Pronghorn

I looked at the tree. He told you he loved you before he died <3

Cant wait to see who he was!

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=371415

Please be kind.

#4 2018-06-21 19:53:14

Lotus

That’s a revelation! Thanks Pronghorn. I hope (s)he sees this. tongue

Last edited by Lotus (2018-06-21 19:53:42)

#5 2018-06-22 01:50:02

Xan

Thank you Lotus, you made my last moments something special and precious. I was proud of that farm, but it was nothing extraordinary. After reading your life story I can see that that farm was special to you and I am glad I was able to share it with you and our kids.

#6 2018-06-22 03:59:48

Morti

Man that hurt.
I've been cleaning hourse for the last few days and moving things around and removing dust places that haven't been cleaned in awhile, and today I have a terrible raspiness in my throat like a cricket is trapped in there and sand is trickling down into my lungs. It really feels terrible. I want to play the game, but I know if I start I'll be at it for hours and I need to finish this work, but I figure; why not check the forums, see what people are saying. Read a few disheartening posts about murder, pretty sad, then this.

"Looks like a nice story." I read on.
3x3 plots mentioned. "Good to know someone else may have been inspired by something I did that they saw in game." I think.
"Nice the way they are showing respect for this person's hard work. The infatuation may be a little over the top, but it's touching."

Sounds like a good, hard, worker I'd be proud to have as a brother.

Then I read it.

""I followed Morti's guide.""

I had to pause.

Read it again. My throat turned to stone. My brow dropped as my eyes started to glaze and burn.

--

Sometimes I forget that you good folks still play the game. I really do appreciate you being here so much; for all the talk that I frown upon, for the conversations I catch out of the corner of my screen as I pass by, all the kind words to each other. The love. The love that you put into your families and into your fields, the love that you put into your tools, into gathering and into your livestock. All the things you do because you want there to be more good things for your family, than there were before you arrived. I really appreciate having this experience with you, all of you, over the last, nearly three months.

It's hard to be away from you, you, anonymous strangers. You mothers, uncles and brothers. You daughters and sons, who amaze me, time and time again and all of you who continue to join us on this journey, it is a treat, when I see you trying objects on objects, discovering what combines with what, and I am reminded of the time I stopped watching other people play the game and picked it up myself, because I wanted to be the one to help the most. I wanted a family to provide for in my life, to work with others who valued each others contributions, to play a part, in your lives and to contribute something useful, to your experience.

The killing really hurts, the abandonment, the suicides. I really wish it'll all stop. I want to care for every child and be cared for by every mothers. I never want a weapon to play a part in any disagreement players might have with each other over items in the game. I do know all these things are possible. The better we are to each other, the better we'll learn, the more we can trust that our mother or child will be an asset to us and that even if they aren't, we can help them. By being good examples as children, to new Eves. By showing our children, that we don't back down from a challenge. We can spend out lives, being productive and caring, making polite suggestions and trying to be understandings, rather than quietly allowing our frustrations to build and taking up arms, or reacting carelessly when we are challenged.

I really don't want this game to turn into just another murder simulator. I really don't.

Every life is a chance to make the greatest contribution to a family, you have ever made. The harder the situation, the more meaningful every contribution.

--

I really do have to finish up cleaning so I can get back to enjoying these opportunities with you.

Thank you so much; Xan, good work in game; Lotus, thank you for recounting this life, even though it made my throat hurt; and YAHG, yes, I am not so bent on being and Eve and taking credit for the entire family, I don't pass up opportunities to make some kind of meaningful contribution, to any life. Sometimes I'm like Sebastian, I work hard and am seldom seen. There is always some kind of legwork that can be done, or some pleasant contribution we can make to each other's lives.

As long as you are willing to give to it, the city always appreciates.

#7 2018-06-22 04:19:25

forestglade

This thread is amazingly sweet.

#8 2018-06-22 04:46:12

YAHG

Comon.. I wasn't digging at you.. You always say you are always Eve Sol.

Also I assume other Eve's have found your cities, I find them as Eve all the time god only knows who's they were big_smile

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#9 2018-06-22 04:55:49

Lotus

I saw them again today. I was Eve Day and they were Summer Day, my daughter. They named their child Sebastian. It was nice reconnecting!

#10 2018-06-22 05:27:54

pein

3x3 no free space, been there other day, was a mess later
seriously consider checkboard pattern
i really wish we would have tiles which dont allow planting, digging only placing down items, like floors, why do they allow planting?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2018-06-22 08:58:32

Morti

YAHG wrote:

Comon.. I wasn't digging at you.. You always say you are always Eve Sol.

Also I assume other Eve's have found your cities, I find them as Eve all the time god only knows who's they were big_smile

I didn't think you were, was just reminding you I'm not a child who suicides on his mother just to play as Eve so that I can play that role. I am always Eve Sol, at least I have been for well over a month, but Eve Sol is not always me. There have been people I have been born to who have named themselves Sol, or been born to later generations of Sol's who's Eve was not me. And, as I've said before, I am honored by this.

There have been days where it seems I am born as an Eve every other life and I relish these opportunities to spend 10, 15, 20 minutes to search for the best locations I can for towns while I keep as many children alive as I can. Sometimes I flat out fail and have to apologies to 3 children who have all been running along with me as I swap places with them in my arms. I do not let those unfortunate times discourage me, however.

There have also been days where it seems I've played twenty lives as a son or daughter in a row and not had the opportunity to be Eve. In those situations I make the best of my experience as well, whether it's being born to an Eve and having to gather milkweed for her, replenishing iron or bringing rabbits home, or finding the nearest expansion for the town, in case the water runs out or something unfortunate happens to compost production, and making a road to it that will guide others in the future.

Every life there is something meaningful we can give. There hasn't been a civilization yet that has been so secure in it's future that some life long work was not needed. I just love to work in this game and, as much as I like to read your conversations, I can seldom justify standing around talking... about anything. About the only time I ever do that is when I am playing on custom servers with people, and it feels odd. I do it less and less, but I miss doing it more and more.

It's hard to say I love you to someone who may have abandoned me in previous lives. It's hard to care about a mother, when she's telling my little brother she won't pick him up because we don't have enough food, when I know we have more than enough. There are so many mentally unstable people who play this game... but if you just don't talk to them, you're much more likely to avoid knowing how bad they are, maybe not as characters, but as players, as people.

I really don't want to spend any more time talking about all the bad experiences I've had with some of you, or, maybe none of you, maybe those people no longer play the game or no longer read the forums. But I assure you, the best and worst things about this game happen via text. When a mother talks to you as if you are a baby, and not as a player; that is beautiful. When you are not asked questions as if you have some sort of precognition, it's so much easier to get into the moment. To fall in love with that person the way only a child knows the love of their parents, or the parent the child. I really miss that.

I miss my first month, my first hundred hours, or maybe it was just April, and probably March (which I only saw in videos) when the population was huge, the vast majority of players were new, and we were all lured here under the guise that it was a parenting simulator, so we came, prepared to care and be cared for, and I, was certainly not disappointed. It all worked so well, when we had hundreds of people, and players really struggled together, but whats more, they bonded. Then the big cities killed that. Communicating via another network outside of game, while making giant cities, which lured people that, you did not talk to because they weren't on discord with you, that ruined it. Video makers, who happily admit on stream, video and forums that they need to suicide dozens of times just to find a nice place to live. That killed this.

There are so many things that we as players have done to each other, that has turned an already minuscule game's minuscule playerbase, away, that now only 30 to 60 of you are ever playing at a time, and it's really depressing. You treated the people in this game like you'd treat players in some multimillion dollar MMO with hundreds of thousands or even millions of players, and you treated them like you would have the most rude and offensive person there. You insulted them. You abandoned them. You murdered them.

And when all they wanted to do was care for you, you killed yourself.

I'm so sorry I have to say this here and now. Those of you who have yet to get your "money's worth" out of this game, I hope you stick with it and stick to caring for people, to surviving and to allowing others to care for you. Don't ever think that there is a role that needs to be played as "The Town Killer" or be one of those people who proudly makes posts saying anything like this. These are not roles you should be playing, like the Thief, Barbarian or Wizard in a fantasy game.

... the future is very bleak for this game because of all the actions people have taken disregarding others. Treating 100 people on line as if it were 100,000. I'm very upset so many of you let it come to this, and to those of you, who cared, who care, and who want to care again. We are down to the last few people. You know this situation only too well by now. There are good people, players capable of bringing more players into the game. Attitudes that keep people around. Actions, that will allow those good players to live and to insure the future. Then there are those of you who may never bring anyone to the game, but at least you can insure that when they do come that their experience is positive. You don't have to worry about editing videos or writing reviews, you don't have to do a thing outside of playing the game and any or everything that entails for you, so long as it does not discourage people from sticking around in the game they paid for because they wanted to play it.

Apart from those two roles, there is the community murderer. Carry on, and the last family you will be responsible for ending, will be this one.

We're down to the point where the streamers and video makers can't suicide enough to find a good town, because there are not enough people playing the game at times for there to be one. You can be the best Eve in the world, but if your only two daughters killed themselves because they wanted to show off the latest tech in their new video, than the effort you put into finding that home doesn't mean a thing.

If you really want there to be a future for this game, and people to experience it with, think deeply about this, but don't let it discourage you from returning. These may only be the worse times, for years to come, if as a community, we can turn things around. Be polite, and thoughtful, but also determined and persistent, if you want there to be a future here, or in game, to revisit.

Board footer