One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-15 11:12:45

LHO

"Sry too many"

Fuck you bitch, I could have helped. I wouldn't even have used your up your food, I would have just lived off wild food.

I even said Q but you probably don't know what it means. Thanks to you I've had nothing but Eve spawns for the last hour, That's the real reason I'm pissed.

I hope you.and your daughters die from starvation anyway.

Last edited by LHO (2018-06-15 11:16:23)

#2 2018-06-15 11:46:51

sc0rp

Re: "Sry too many"

LHO wrote:

Fuck you bitch, I could have helped. I wouldn't even have used your up your food, I would have just lived off wild food.

I even said Q but you probably don't know what it means.

Don't be harsh.  They are playing the best they can.

LHO wrote:

Thanks to you I've had nothing but Eve spawns for the last hour, That's the real reason I'm pissed.

The reason for that is that griefers are wiping out towns faster that they can be built.

#3 2018-06-15 11:59:31

Lum

Maybe it's because you said Q actually. She immediately knew that you were a bitter forum scumbag.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#4 2018-06-15 12:20:06

TrustyWay

Lum wrote:

Maybe it's because you said Q actually. She immediately knew that you were a bitter forum scumbag.

He is harsh, but q doesn't change anything to me, I had so many useless kids saying Q or No after I ask if they new.

But I hate when no women don't feed me when they can, I have been crying in the middle of the place for 45 secs saying f, seriously. I hate these people.

#5 2018-06-15 12:22:50

Anshin

Is there a fertility cool-down while raising a child?
Maybe they had no daughters.

#6 2018-06-15 12:30:47

LHO

Lum wrote:

Shut up Cum, You use the forums too D;

But seriously she ran off when I was born and Said it when I F'd, It wasn't because I said Q.

I was just trying to convey that I knew how to survive and that I would contribute. I'm more annoyed at the ridiculously long lineage  ban then anything else.

Banished to the Eves because of things beyond my control.

#7 2018-06-15 12:48:13

Tea

Idk if it was you, but i was spawned in a West family and my big sister fed me every three seconds and even put me in a cooler place instead in the desert biome. They were keeping every kid even though they had little food and famine was about to hit us. Then a baby boy popped out and said Q. I tried to tell her to keep him because he might help us but she did not listen and let him die.

At the end, only four people survived the famine with two fertile females. Even I let my firstborn daughter starve because I just couldn't keep her and me alive while trying to safe the West family.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#8 2018-06-15 13:02:24

Anshin

The lineage ban is to prevent baby suicides abandoning Eves.
I agree there should be more family planning options though.

#9 2018-06-15 13:05:39

sc0rp

LHO wrote:

I hate that too.

#10 2018-06-15 13:07:37

sc0rp

Anshin wrote:

The lineage ban is to prevent baby suicides abandoning Eves.

That's the intention.  Real effect is that the people stop playing until lineage ban wears off.  And griefers get multiple accounts to grief the only remaining towns.

#11 2018-06-15 13:17:40

LHO

They had several daughters and were complaining about too many people.

Last edited by LHO (2018-06-15 13:37:13)

#12 2018-06-15 13:24:39

Alleria

LHO wrote:

They had several daughters and were complaining about too many people.

Don't worry about Scummy Lummy. Nobody takes him seriously anyway.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#13 2018-06-15 13:41:31

YAHG

I just try to look as cute and innocent as possible and guilt the fuck out of them with cute lil f's 50% of the time it works 100% of the time.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#14 2018-06-15 14:12:28

sc0rp

Q frequenty worked for me:

- SRY BB NO FOOD
- Q
- OH, WELL [grabs me and runs to forage]

#15 2018-06-15 15:49:28

pein

its 2-3 feeding on a good tile, not fucking hard to raise a kid

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2018-06-15 17:31:32

MistressZues

TrustyWay wrote:

But I hate when no women don't feed me when they can, I have been crying in the middle of the place for 45 secs saying f, seriously. I hate these people.

I usually feed the babys saying F in the middle of town even if they arnt mine UNLESS they have no name, I take it as a sign the mom didnt want it an it is just trying to get someone to feed it so it can grow up an grief out of spit for its mom not wanting it. (had this happen so many times). Anyway if they do have a name and are saying F with no mom in sight I assume mom is working an isnt making it back in time etc an raise it up.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#17 2018-06-15 22:41:05

Valences42

In one of my recent games my ma spouted profanities at me for refusing to leave a perfect temp set up.  I died at 2 years old.  I suppose I could have been more communicative, but I got a really bad vibe from her when she tried to name me "retarded"...

Some folks. 

Wish I could have survived long enough to spite her.

#18 2018-06-15 23:46:22

Trick

Sometimes staying in a warm spot is less helpful than following your mother, IMO.

If my mother is working close by, then I will stay in the warmest spot.  But if she is clearly walking pretty far away, I will follow.

I *try* not to stop working as a mother, so I will plop my kid down beside the farm or whatever and continue working, intermittently coming back to feed the kid.  I figure the extra feeding is less important than my productivity.

But if that kid runs to an inconvenient place to be 'warm', I just let them die.  Stop wasting my time.  You see that I am working.  Running back and forth to wherever you want to be isn't ideal for me.  The time I am wasting to run back to you isn't worth the slightly fewer times I have to feed you... and it annoys me.

#19 2018-06-16 02:02:54

YAHG

Trick wrote:

Sometimes staying in a warm spot is less helpful than following your mother, IMO.

If my mother is working close by, then I will stay in the warmest spot.  But if she is clearly walking pretty far away, I will follow.

If you can keep wiggling to keep your temp it can help a lot.

If only there was letter to tell mom no to feed you cause you ain't hungry yet.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#20 2018-06-16 02:28:13

Acozi

LHO wrote:
Lum wrote:

But seriously she ran off when I was born and Said it when I F'd, It wasn't because I said Q.

I was just trying to convey that I knew how to survive and that I would contribute. I'm more annoyed at the ridiculously long lineage  ban then anything else.

The forums do seem to consist of six people complaining about griefers and sheep pen contents lol

#21 2018-06-16 02:32:39

YAHG

If you banished to Eve, you COULD start a nice town..

#22 2018-06-16 04:43:55

Morti

Valences42 wrote:

but I got a really bad vibe from her when she tried to name me "retarded"

#23 2018-06-16 05:26:37

Morti

Trick wrote:

I *try* not to stop working as a mother, so I will plop my kid down beside the farm or whatever and continue working, intermittently coming back to feed the kid.  I figure the extra feeding is less important than my productivity.

But if that kid runs to an inconvenient place to be 'warm', I just let them die.  Stop wasting my time.  You see that I am working.  Running back and forth to wherever you want to be isn't ideal for me.  The time I am wasting to run back to you isn't worth the slightly fewer times I have to feed you... and it annoys me.

I'd rather kids stay warm than the alternative.
With 5 seconds per pip in grassland, swamp, prairie and badlands, and 20 seconds per pip on an ideal, balanced, temp tile, if we're talking about a child with 6 pips on their food meter that's the difference between 30 seconds and 2 minutes. If they know where a balanced temp tile is, I probably know where it is too and should be using it to travel myself. That way, if I got out for 30 seconds, my food meter has probably dropped only 1 pip on the way out and 2 on the way back vs 6 if I didn't use that warm spot at all.

Conclusion: If your mother knows about temp, and especially if she stands on the same tile, before running out, trust her. Stay put.
You, her and the rest of the family will benefit by you not wasting your food, hers and the rest of everyone's living in the area.

The alternative is death. At some stage, you neglecting your temp is going to get someone else killed, and if you don't care enough to mind your temp meter, to lead to that inevitable famine and death, why should we care for you?

Sometimes there will be new players that don't know better, maybe it's a child who is temp locked and he is running around you and it's you who doesn't know better. I know the latter has been the case for me many times. As a child with 6 pips, I've locked my temp on a warm tile for a long journey because my mother just had to bring that basket and sharp stone home in her arms instead of me. We move two screens my temp meter is balanced and I haven't even lost a single pip yet, she hasn't, yet she stops to pick me up. What do I do in that scenario? It's happened at least 30 times. and about 10 of them I just keep moving forward. Whatever direction she was going, I just go in that direction. About 5 of those ten results in me finding the village she was destined for, or maybe there is nothing and I wander for a minute and a half. Chances are if she doesn't know about temp, shes not travelling all that far, and if she is travelling far and doesn't know about temp, shes probably consuming a massive amount of resources and you may just be better off moving onto the next life. The other 20 or so times I've caved in, stopped to let her pick me up and struggled for food along with her, until I was old enough to provide for myself and often times her.

The temp meter and it's role in food consumption is too easy to overlook. It's so inconspicuous down there in the bottom right hand corner and the food meter is the one hogging the spot light. It doesn't get wider as we get old, like it probably should as we develop fat stores as we age which can regulate internal body temp and homeostasis. It doesn't get it's own sounds when you are too cold or too hold. Maybe there should be some kind of pleasant rewarding sound effect when you are in that Goldilocks zone. Maybe there should be an ominous cracking of ice, quietly playing in the background when you are too cold or the sound of fire or a dry desert wind when you are too hot. Not music, not a sound effect, just some kind of audio reminder to emphasize the importance of that meter as well.

When I can make one berry last me 100 seconds, and yours only lasts you 25 seconds, that is a huge deal. You are going through 4 berries in the time I go through 1. Either you should be reminded of that with some 'ominous' sounds, like your heart rate accelerate or a gasping of breath, or, I should be rewarded with a pleasant audio background cue, like the sounds of nature, maybe a gentle wind blowing through the trees, maybe some bird sounds in the distance.

#24 2018-06-16 10:58:08

Lum

LHO wrote:
Lum wrote:

I like that nickname.

I totally get it though, it is very annoying when you can't really express that you can be useful and just get left behind for another three hours.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#25 2018-06-16 11:26:40

sc0rp

Morti wrote:

Maybe there should be an ominous cracking of ice, quietly playing in the background when you are too cold or the sound of fire or a dry desert wind when you are too hot. Not music, not a sound effect, just some kind of audio reminder to emphasize the importance of that meter as well.

+1

I wish I had that.  Plus interval between hungry/starving dings dependent on temp (how fast you get hungry).  Currently the only audio feedback that you get about wrong temp is starving sounds playing very shortly after hungry ones.  But that's too late - you have like 2-3 seconds left to eat before you die.  Sometimes you can't find empty tile fast enough to grab a pie from backpack.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-16 11:29:38)

Board footer