One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-13 21:14:38

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Seed problems?

Which seeds are a problem, and why?

They are all containable in baskets.  Squash seeds move in a clump.

Cabbage seeds are the hardest to see, but they are insanely small and hard to work with in real life (about the same size as poppy seeds, and round, so they roll all over the place).

I could make it so that your harvest cabbage seeds in a clump like squash seeds.

#2 2018-06-13 21:21:06

Rose

Re: Seed problems?

Squash -> every gives you 3 seeds every time

1 seed - 1 squash -1 stew -> 3 seed - 3 squash -3 stew ->9 seed - 9 squash - 9 stew-> 27 seeds... -> 81 seeds... ->243... ->...................

Last edited by Rose (2018-06-14 10:59:18)

#3 2018-06-13 21:22:29

MidgetMaker

i would like it if you could pile them up on a single tile instead of only one per tile.

#4 2018-06-13 21:39:33

Glassius

I don't see them. I'm releasing with rightclick and cannot pick up baby. Maybe make the all more visible? Or disappearing after drop off. Oh dear, you just lost it, next time find the container smile

#5 2018-06-13 21:47:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh, yes, I see the problem with squash.  It multiplies.... hmm...

Yeah, I'll have to make them all decay away for now.

#6 2018-06-13 21:50:44

sc0rp

jasonrohrer wrote:

Which seeds are a problem

All of them.  The more of them, the problem gets worse.  When it was mostly carrot seeds, they got reused.  With large number of different seeds, each one nearly invisible, nobody looks for them - just tries to harvest new ones.  So they accumulate everywhere.

jasonrohrer wrote:

and why?

Because you can have only one per tile.  Especially bad are those that you acquire by accident.  You misclick and suddenly you have wheat seed in hand.  What I'm supposed to do with it?  I wanted berry from berry bush, cause I'm starving.  Just throw them on some empty tile (which may be screen away, so you die).

jasonrohrer wrote:

They are all containable in baskets.

Three at a time.  And baskets are luxury item now.  Reed doesn't regrow and cannot be planted.  Wheat is ultra important for composting, which is ultra important for everything. And once you fuck up, there is no simple way to restart it, so wasting two straw for a basket feels like griefing.  I see like 10-15 baskets total in town.  Getting 4 empty baskets to put on the cart to bring soil during famine is a challenge. (And in one of them there is obviously single seed you cannot see, which prevents you from getting soil until you deal with it.)

jasonrohrer wrote:

Cabbage seeds are the hardest to see, but they are insanely small and hard to work with in real life (about the same size as poppy seeds, and round, so they roll all over the place).

Yeah, when you want to do something with them one by one.  But I've never had a problem to put down hammer, because one poppy seed fallen to the floor.

#7 2018-06-13 21:54:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

sc0rp wrote:

Yeah, when you want to do something with them one by one.  But I've never had a problem to put down hammer, because one poppy seed fallen to the floor.

Really?  Never had that happen in real life?  smile

#8 2018-06-13 22:01:00

sc0rp

jasonrohrer wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

Really?  Never had that happen in real life?  smile

Only when I ate a lot of them first wink

#9 2018-06-13 23:27:14

YAHG

I thought people said that seeds were just coating the ground.

If seeds are too small to see why does it really matter if they are tiny in real life? People just wanna pick em up.

Seed clumps as tools with uses could be good even if you did it though a bag item instead.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-06-14 00:13:04

Realcooldude

There was a topic on seed bags that i thought would be a great solution to the problem. Make a seed bag out of a couple of furs. When the item is in the bag it becomes named the seed name plus bag then when used up its back to just seed bag.

Not my idea though.

#11 2018-06-14 01:15:11

Gummyworm1270

Storage in general is a problem, as stated by scorp baskets are difficult to make after the reeds in the general area of a town are used up. Most established towns that I've been in have clutter of all kinds scattered on every available tile, seeds just happen to be the worst offender due to them being fairly plentiful and difficult to see.

IMO seed storage and better storage in general would help a lot.

#12 2018-06-14 02:27:50

Trick

It logically doesn't make sense that a single tile can only hold one seed.  Items should be stackable, and baskets should hold more.  Plates stack to 5.  Bowls stack to 3.  Seeds stack to 10.  Wood stacks to 3.  Baskets stack to 2.  Those things make sense.  It is illogical to have a billion things taking up the amount of space that it does, and it makes the place a logistical, messy nightmare.

#13 2018-06-14 02:52:02

LHO

Basically fuck baskets

#14 2018-06-14 06:21:17

Verte

About all seeds
Seeds everywhere is a pain. Almost invisible seeds worst.
You want realistict things, why not, I won't argue. But in real life, people would never spread out their seeds all over the ground.
We need more storage options. I saw someone propose clay pots for seeds, very good idea.
I imagine shelves : add a plank to an adobe wall (only east-west maybe). On a shelf we could place three items like seed pots, bowls, plates, baskets, tools.
I agree with the idea of stacking several seeds too.

About beans
The dry beans in a bowl are a problem for me. It seems that the bowl with one (or several) dry bean cannot be moved ? You should be able to walk with a partial bowl of something (like berries) to collect more and fill it from another plant (or when cleaning all the seeds on the floor of the base). One by one it's a painful waste of time. So left click to fill or pick the bowl and right click to empty, if possible ?
And the green bean should be greener to differenciate better from dry bean (both on plant and item in bowl). Real green beans are very green (and delicious, they should fill more hunger and be a valid food option).

About cabbage seeds
So small I just hate them (but the purple cabbage is wonderfull).

#15 2018-06-14 06:50:44

FounderOne

I really loved the idea of the clay pot (= wet Clay Bowl + wet clay plate).

In the clay pot you could store all small things in bigger amounts. When the item is in the pot, the pot is named "item name pot".

Like in the original thread suggested one coloured clay pots could be a thing. Later painted clay pots and ceramic could be a thing.

So you could get a versatile city picture and better storage.

Clay pots could also function in other recipes.
For example for indoor plants or cooking meals.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#16 2018-06-14 08:09:23

DrButtCheeks

Could we just pile seeds like we do round stones and make seeds decay one per tile?

Ergo scattered single seeds would disappear after an epoch and a stack of seeds would decrease by a fixed amount.

#17 2018-06-14 08:45:16

pein

even if its not realistic, if one item is on one tile , should be bigger, at least the size of the needle
i see a lot of people die cause cant find and empty tile to put down a seed or they pick in and out a seed fro mbackpack, only the sound signals it that its something taken out

they could decay but then where you get the next? should be at least some storage for them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2018-06-14 10:21:33

TrustyWay

We asked for containers since the game was released, ofc we need containers.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-14 10:21:46)

#19 2018-06-14 12:58:11

Christoffer
Website

I would like to voice support for the ideas of pouches and pots for seeds and other small items. They could work similar to ponds, which you can take from, but also put more into. Maybe it would even be good if there weren't any individual seed objects in the game (meaning you need to have a pouch or pot to pick seeds into - you can't hold them or put them on the ground individually)?

Ultimately, it would of course be even cooler if the pouches were clothes items, so you could wear one or even two.

Jason, don't you think there could be a way to utilize your implementations for categories and patterns to easier make individual assets for pouches and/or pots for all seed types?

#20 2018-06-14 15:07:16

zennyrpg

In real life squash seeds are roasted and eaten.  I've done this with butternut squash seeds not just pumpkin. 

Multiplying squash seeds wouldn't be a problem if we got a nice little snack along the way.  I'm thinking similar to popcorn in prep.

#21 2018-06-14 15:13:35

Anshin

"Pouch" used to carry only water, now it can also carry salt water. Please make it also carry seeds.

#22 2018-06-14 15:21:19

Kinrany

Items could decay faster when on the ground. Vote here.

Bigger sprites would be good too. Vote here.

Board footer