One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-07 02:50:25

komody

what makes a good starting area/strategy?

i tend to gravitate to a place with a lot of bushes that borders a swamp and desert, and with a plains biome close.
however often i find that (arguably no fault of my own) that my children always die from lack of food when i start to set up the farm and camp, however after MANY lives as an eve of children dying, i am wondering what other requirements i should look for as far as real-estate goes.

also maybe my process should be refined?
so in step form:
1. find camp
2. get abode kiln built
3. make bowls
4. begin farm (this is a place where i am bit confused, i used to farm carrots before the recent update of soil being destroyed after every harvest, so now i do berries, but i find they take too long. what should i do? or should i continue to start the farm with berries?)
5. hunt rabbits for clothing
6. (admittedly havent gotten this far as an eve)

#2 2018-06-07 03:01:11

Lotus

Re: what makes a good starting area/strategy?

I try to find a place extremely close to swamp and somewhat near the savanna or prairie biome. Desert doesn’t really matter to me, although it’s handy if nearby. Try to set up near all biomes as they each have their own purpose.

Best spot should contain lots of basic food to start. Having to go and search for food every thirty seconds is time consuming and will waste huge chunks of your life. If it comes to this, ask one of your children to do this for you.

Usually what I do is:
-Gather basic tools (hatchet, sharp stone, fire drill)
-Make a basket
-Start on adobe kiln
-Make three bowls and one to two plates
-Start on fire
-Berry, then milkweed farm
-Hunt rabbits
-Make forge
-Find iron
-Start smithing

By this time I’m usually dying and too old to do anything else. Hope this helped.

#3 2018-06-07 03:03:27

MidgetMaker

you're mostly on track (in my opinion).  for your step 3, sometimes making a water pouch is quicker than making bowls.  it just depends on whats around your base.  berries have been a very good starting crop this week but that will most likely change tomorrow or friday when the new content drops.

#4 2018-06-07 03:31:45

Rebel

It changes from patch to patch, next patch making bowls before pouches will be best as you will need bowls to spilt up dirt piles. thus

1. find lots of food
2. find water
3. find rope
4. make some basic tools. drill, stone axe, hoe, snare, pouches. 
5. make farm (atm its berry) normally get about 6x3 done at this point and will have a bunch of kids to hopefully help
6. finish of tools IE: tongs, kiln, oven, bowls, plates, and bellows.
6. hopefully your kids have lived and you can die happy that you started something. 9/10 they all die.

And yes making all basic tools can be done as an eve, if you cant do all of them at least make. drill, stone axe, hoe and snare and pouches. and get that berry farm going.

green biome next to desert gives good temp for babies. always aim for that if you can. the most important thing is to make sure there is another food for you and about 3 aimless berry eating kids. normally I send my kids out to forage for burdocks onions and wild carrots so I can continue working.

I have starting smithing as an eve before but that was only because I had some really good kids who took over farming.

NOTE: again each patch changes the eve game, like I said bowls will be a must-have, so a pouch will only need to be made for bellows or if you feel like it, ease of water runs (but you should also build farms next to the water and move the soil there.)

There are loads of tips and tricks that you will learn only by playing that makes eve camp faster to set up.

#5 2018-06-07 06:42:59

pein

im good at scouting and good at gathering

im kinda picky, and dont really like to be an eve, i still do it if i spawn instantly into something decent, snow borders are no go

it was different before meta, i couldnt keep my first few kids, maybe the first one if wanted to stay, and i tried to find many ponds near a desert

now it changed, as you can water a bit more from a pond, so even 2-3 ponds are decent

generally you want a desert, horizontal preferably with a few cactus and not many snakes

the smaller the better, alrge deserts are not good

small fragmented into other biome has a lot of medium temperature tiles
horizontal because the aspect ratio of game, you see more sideways than top to bottom, also noobs tend to build farms and berry in aspect ratio, not on sides of desert, so if you got ponds on left and top side of desert, choose the top side

a green biome should be visible frrom side of town or put branches there to signal it

i tend to go further so i leave the close resources to others

an iron vein is kinda important nearby as you are on timer after the first 10 iron, you cant really go far for it over and over

if you want a great spot, you need to walk a lot, and lose first 3 kids

if you want a decent spot, settle on the first small desert near water (2-3 ponds very close,  some more near it)
no ice biome, bigger green biome, and rabbits in max 50 tile away

search for a 2x2 desert spot or edge of desert, those are perfect temperature, checkboard 2x2 best

i dont really care about berry, its good, but you should be able to plant it fast so a decent patch of desert for farm is better to have

swamp should have decent clay, reet is not too important as it wont come back and if you reach compost it wont matter

no bear caves in 50 tile distance, babies poke it for fun even if you got a decent stock settlement

you can make a bear trap from pits and shoot them or just enclose them with a small pen of pits

there are upsides and downsides, generally i would say, a lot of cactus, a fragmented desert and a huge connected green biome nearby is best with acces to a lot of bunnies and max 1 ice biome closeby, desert needs to be small, rest should be huge

Last edited by pein (2018-06-07 09:00:11)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-06-07 08:50:44

Baker

Just a tip, Don't have your camp near a bear cave. Especially if you plan on letting babies die.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#7 2018-06-07 18:58:42

YAHG

Big pack of ponds and nearby lumber trees preferably at least one Maple+Juniper combo near enough to easily start fires.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#8 2018-06-10 08:49:50

pein

people are weird, told my eve mom who had a noob camp that we need desert and water, both were to right, she knew it, she still chuck down the kiln on a green biome cause she had ropes there, and started there or found soil and skewer there, i dont know
other told she knows, but she still settled on green
or i hear questions that do they grow differently?
my answer "no but you are standing on it"

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-06-10 10:10:00

Tane

pein wrote:

people are weird, told my eve mom who had a noob camp that we need desert and water, both were to right, she knew it, she still chuck down the kiln on a green biome cause she had ropes there, and started there or found soil and skewer there, i dont know

I've started doing that. Putting the kiln in the green and a but further from where I want to farm. Mostly because I end up with kids that don't think about the farm expanding or try to raise kids in the middle of a desert. If you can chuck it a screen away in the green it helps set up a second spot to raise kids. Plus, working in a desert kinda screws your hunger, even naked.

When it comes to starting, I always make sure there's a few extra ponds within a screen of the original few.
Other than that, no where near an ice biome and reasonably far from wilderness. Normally I don't care much about desert, its a perk if you get it but no big loss if there's none around.

#10 2018-06-10 10:38:33

yvanhooe

I recently was a kinda successful Eve (http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/server.php?action=character_page&id=285206 line lasted for 9 gens)

I think as an Eve, the key is to manage child abandonment well. I don't waste time on boys, and I know I have no time to waste so a kid is an investment that I am willing to do only if it is going to pay off. I took care of two daughters (and a granddaughter) telling them where we were, what they needed, explaining them how to do some stuff if they did not know.

I asked my kids to farm, they sucked at it. They did not abandon enough babies I fell. I told them to do baskets for a while and move soil around, but we did not really have a great farm going by the time I died.

I know that one of the greatest enabler in that game is the backpack, so I trapped a lot of rabbits, which fed us a bit. I wish we had had a decent potter because bowls, plates and oven would have allowed us to do much more profitable pies.

With a backpack, a basket and several snares, getting rabbits is exponentially better. Make more backpacks, some clothes.

And give orders and instructions to the kids.

There are several ways now to reach a sustainable state so roll with whatever the kids come up with. I was surprised to see my family survived for 9 generations despite no working farm after one hour.

#11 2018-06-10 16:01:22

YAHG

Ice biome is fine nearby, as long as you are not inside of it. It is good for salt basically, and for roses even though roses are just cosmetic.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#12 2018-06-10 18:31:51

komody

i figured out how to get a good thing going, so first i look for a good location(which is a green biome next to a desert with a plains biome nearby) and while i look, i make all the starting tools. which makes it a lot easier to set up the farm.
once i have a farm set up, i go to the desert and wait to start popping out babies. i try to keep as many as possible, but i found out just asking them what they know how to do is a good way to know who to keep.
i always ask my kids now "do you know how to farm", "do you know how to hunt" ... etc.
after that its up to the kids to carry on the legacy and i would say this strategy has like a 60-70% success rate.

#13 2018-06-10 20:51:46

YAHG

komody wrote:

i figured out how to get a good thing going, so first i look for a good location(which is a green biome next to a desert with a plains biome nearby) and while i look, i make all the starting tools. which makes it a lot easier to set up the farm.
once i have a farm set up, i go to the desert and wait to start popping out babies. i try to keep as many as possible, but i found out just asking them what they know how to do is a good way to know who to keep.
i always ask my kids now "do you know how to farm", "do you know how to hunt" ... etc.
after that its up to the kids to carry on the legacy and i would say this strategy has like a 60-70% success rate.

Amen, if you can get an early son or two it sets you up for a better start I think.

The pop growth curve really explodes once you have multiple birthing females. You need a solid workforce to bring food production online before the population just strips you dry. There is only soooo much foraging, yeah people can permanently scatter and not reform but the problem of over scavenging doesn't REALLY go away.

#14 2018-06-10 22:55:18

pein

Tane wrote:
pein wrote:

I've started doing that. Putting the kiln in the green and a but further from where I want to farm. Mostly because I end up with kids that don't think about the farm expanding or try to raise kids in the middle of a desert. If you can chuck it a screen away in the green it helps set up a second spot to raise kids. Plus, working in a desert kinda screws your hunger, even naked.

When it comes to starting, I always make sure there's a few extra ponds within a screen of the original few.
Other than that, no where near an ice biome and reasonably far from wilderness. Normally I don't care much about desert, its a perk if you get it but no big loss if there's none around.

that makes no sense
4x times less hunger its not a perk, its the difference between life and death
5-10 cactus is ensures 3 people can stay alive anytime
even my full new mom raised 5 kids after me after invited her over and told her to keep kids on edge, and fed her
before that all kids died in the green biome, you can put kiln other side of desert, like top kiln, bottom farm

green helps nothing, you got temporary food in it
the branches are needed long term
the bigger the green biome the longer people can stay alive usually , but once you got a farm up and running , does the same thing, a perfect temp tile keeps alive babies with 3 feedings, while you can work kinda undisturbed
lot of wild berry bushes help the kids to explore a bit
my general goal is 2 daughters alive, hammer, working farm

most of kids die in a green base, as they are too cold, and eat too much
most of us suicides right away seeing a green biome and no desert and water close by

when your population exceeds fhe farm capacity, people gonna die en mass

i always relocate those cities by taking pouch needle and bowl, make new tools, kiln, small farm

if the location is bad, next generation will have trouble, farming and eating on desert saves you around 50% of food
for you maybe 1 berry 5 min not much, for 15 people 15 berry is a lot

Last edited by pein (2018-06-10 22:56:56)

#15 2018-06-11 08:45:13

yvanhooe

YAHG wrote:

i found out just asking them what they know how to do is a good way to know who to keep.

Surprisingly, the best family I ever had was almost totally made of beginners. I spent my time in the middle of the village, teaching them, giving them instructions. They loved me! we were so productive after a generation!

#16 2018-06-11 10:46:05

YAHG

yvanhooe wrote:
YAHG wrote:

i found out just asking them what they know how to do is a good way to know who to keep.

Surprisingly, the best family I ever had was almost totally made of beginners. I spent my time in the middle of the village, teaching them, giving them instructions. They loved me! we were so productive after a generation!

Nice quote </3

#17 2018-06-11 15:54:59

pein

me and yahg settled on a bear cave and an iron vein, a desert with 2 spots of water nearby

people didnt found the water 15 tiles away
and they died of starvation cause nobody else than me was farming at the end

we had some errors, i guess, but its their skill which killed them

try to have a skewer for every kid and tell them to make a marker
with current soil, a sapling farm not an issue

a basket with sharp stone for each
and tell them where is emergency food

Board footer