One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-06 00:27:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Dark secret: the murder rate is 16%

I just ran some stats on the lineage server.  If we count people who lived past age 20, the murder rate is a whopping 16.8%

Roughly 8000 murders out of 48000 people who lived past age 20.

For the last 24 hours, the murder rate for those over 20 was 21%.

Yikes!

This seems a little high to me, what do you think?

#2 2018-06-06 00:31:27

Uncle Gus

Re: Dark secret: the murder rate is 16%

That's pretty nuts. What's the baby starvation rate, for comparison?

#3 2018-06-06 00:40:02

IronBear

That is surprising.  And you can't count the people who died from starvation running from murders.

#4 2018-06-06 00:40:47

Rebel

lol, bare in mind, you have to half that, due to heroes killing the murders.

Last edited by Rebel (2018-06-06 01:46:16)

#5 2018-06-06 00:51:01

YAHG

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#6 2018-06-06 01:03:35

aowen

Based on my understanding for the vision of this game, this number seems high.

Players are killing each other can (and should) happen, but 1/5 lives ending in murder? It's likely that most newbies are going to experience (either cause of death or witnessing) murder on day 1.

#7 2018-06-06 01:04:47

TrustyWay

Is there any more information ? Everyone does it or is it specificly few people doing murders ? Have they a schedule, does it happens more from europe or america ?

#8 2018-06-06 01:10:25

Pronghorn

Thank you Jason for being transparent about this and other negative and also positive things about the game.
I feel your game is mostly a positive experience and has sooo much potential. I recommend it but would warn
a potential player of potential murders signs.

For all you others...
Several of you are surprised lol
Why? Me and others have been telling you this already. But we would just get yelled at. Being mean to us.

Meaners. tongue

Last edited by Pronghorn (2018-06-06 01:15:35)

Please be kind.

#9 2018-06-06 01:12:31

YAHG

The playerbase is VERY adaptive. Once we hit max tech and berry-seas there is little to do but murder en mass.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-06-06 01:24:42

Lotus

YAHG wrote:

The playerbase is VERY adaptive. Once we hit max tech and berry-seas there is little to do but murder en mass.

Unfortunately, this is the case. A lot of people want to get born into big towns, and once they’re there, they get so bored they want to go on a murder spree. I think the solution to murders is more updates based around the tech tree. Nerfs don’t keep the mirderers away.

Edit: Oh jeez! I just realized the username change! (lday > Lotus) thanks Jason!

Last edited by Lotus (2018-06-06 01:26:45)

#11 2018-06-06 01:35:47

aowen

YAHG wrote:

This is a great point!

It's possible that the murder rate will go down once the berry surplus problem is resolved.

It might be useful to compare this weekend's murder rate to the weekend before, to put this in perspective.

#12 2018-06-06 01:50:11

Lily

Have to admit, people been complaining about it for a while, but it never seemed that bad. Well stats says it is that bad. It is probably because murderers are not that common but when they appear they go on killing sprees and kill a lot of people at once.

#13 2018-06-06 02:27:49

pein

20 % and 80% of people dont have a bow tongue
even if im not planning to, sometimes i kill like 3-4 people, like they shot on me but miss, then kid calls me murderer, so i stab him if i cant talk sense to him, then a few griefers, noobs who waste my time and cant talk to them, dirty mouthed racists, thiefs etc.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-06-06 02:47:49

Lotus

I try never to kill people unless I am assigned the duty to protect the village. If there’s a griefer or a murderer, I will kill them.

Seed guards have been extinguished but were extremely unhelpful. Killing someone because they were starving doesn’t bring the seed back.

Bad thing is when someone gets a weapon, there’s no stopping them. I’ve seen a LOT of murders conducted by people just because they can. Picking up something they want or draining a pond by accident, which was changed, still get me killed by impatient and poor tempered people.

And then there are the “non-movers” who stab a child if they move from a certain spot. These people are just... no.

There isn’t really a way to change the murders besides advancement and progression to prevent boredom, and simply not allowing weapons to get into the wrong hands. But there’s no way of knowing whether hands were covered in blood in a previous life, which is a shame.

Edit: dirt to duty

Last edited by Lotus (2018-06-06 02:48:19)

#15 2018-06-06 03:35:59

LHO

It's the big towns man, They are always griefer central. The game has been more forgiving this week and more cities have popped up then normal.

With them huge berry fields you really don't need to worry about famine, I could pump out more babies. But griefers also thrive in places like that, I think they get more of a kick destroying large towns over Eve camps.

#16 2018-06-06 04:01:06

fragilityh14

I hate the idea of you using god powers, but now that we have the lineage tracker it's clear that murdering griefers are what wipes family lines. I'm to the point of wanting to raise my kids in the wild and teaching them to fear everything, like the "uncontacted" (hiding from white people) tribes in the Amazon.

At the same time, these people who admit to killing family lines etc and try to justify it are such huge assholes that any penalty you put upon them will just make them come back as soon as its over, more encouraged to do the same thing.

It's really shocked my view of humanity the people here who want to be evil to prove a point that people are evil

You know, I usually only play multiplayer games if I can be a healer, which is probably why I'm such a generous helper to everyone in OHOL. (I basically grind to keep the colony alive the whole time.)

Think about introducing a heal, esp with the delay in death. If there was a bandage sort of thing I would focus on carrying them and making sure people had them. If you could heal the murdered person and then kill the murderer it would be way harder to do.

It would also make bandits stronger in a way, but actual banditry, raiding, etc in the game I think is crucial. What I hate are people who kill their own family because they enjoy destroying what other people worked to build.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#17 2018-06-06 05:18:38

Baker

A lot of it is also misunderstandings. Two people might have a feud, It escalates to the point where they want to kill each other. Person 1 kills Person 2 but then Person 1 get's killed by Person 3 for killing person 2 but Person 4 mistakes person 3 for the murderer and kills him too, You get the idea?

We use the Wild West justice system to deal with disputes and the only way to really punish someone is murder.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#18 2018-06-06 06:11:24

Muddauber

You know, I think this really highlights a significant flaw in gameplay. Even if you don't have a bow, humans have fists and fingernails. The likelihood someone can stab an entire town to death in real life is pretty slim. I can see getting away with a few murders, but you'd have to be sneaky. I think what we need is a melee attack, maybe negligible damage so people aren't trying to beat everyone to death.. but not totally defenseless. Maybe weapon use cooldown? I'm not super familiar with the mechanics, I've never tried to kill anyone.

I don't know how else you'd stop that trend without broader controls, like maybe not being able to attack people in your own family tree, so if you're killing it's got to be a rival tribe out on the range. It would be interesting to see that coupled with maybe like a flag system that you could use to conquer areas or allow other tribes to join your colony. Seeing diplomacy and tribal bow&arrow wars play out would be pretty cool, anyway.

Last edited by Muddauber (2018-06-06 06:14:45)

#19 2018-06-06 06:34:14

fragilityh14

Muddauber wrote:

I've never tried to kill anyone.

The griefers claim everyone murders sometimes, it's frustrating AF. The one time I've killed someone a person said they had to quit and preferred to be murdered and handed me a knife, and I decided to try it out. Plenty of us never, ever murder.

i've thought about playing as a raider/bandit, which is well within the theme of the game, but I never want to be an asshole and hurt someone else's experience. And also it's so easy to live in the wilds there isn't shit I need if I am living outside of a colony.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#20 2018-06-06 06:37:48

FounderOne

Yesterday I got born in a city. My mum and some other guys stayed around a stone house. Allmost all of them had weapons in their hand.

I wanted to get fed, my mum said no and run with her bow around.
Luckily I found a mum that adopted and raised me.

When I was able to walk I looked around and saw that the really hugh berry farm was in a really bad state. I started watering it and a few other people joined, some longer and some shorter.

I was watering the bushes until I was a grown man, when I heared a scream and a second one and a bit after a third one. I headed over to look what happened. When I arrived the next one got murdered and the Fiesta stopped for a good while. In the thought everything was ok I left the place, but short after even more murder happend and the next Fiesta started. Again several people got killed. I saw a bloody knife on the ground and grabbed it. Especially one women called Abby was murdering out of blood Lust.
Until I could grab it she was gone and I couldn't find her. I went back to the murder place and again murder happend. I saw a women and thought it was Abby she just murdered someone. I ran over and stabbed her. Unfortunately it wasn't Abby. Another guy hunted me and tried to kill me because I just murdered the women. I found a save spot and thought a second how I could solve the problem. There was a unfinished house. I finished the wall and builded a door. On the way gathering the resources I saw new murder Graves. Abby was still around. I was looking for her and the Ressources, but I couldn't see her. She killed a lot of people. A bit after there was a fresh stabbed women and I run to see who did it. It was Abby with a bloody knife in her hands. I stabbed her and she said something like "finally". I made a lock and locked the room. I placed three bows and two knifes in it. I was already old. I asked my sister from my mum that adopted me who was a responsible person. So I gave the person the key to the room, showed him the room and told him to gather and store all weapons in it. After I said my last sentence I died in front of the weapon vault, hoping that everything will be better.

In 60 years I saw so many murder happen and only a hand full people really working. Most of the people were searching the murderer or running away from them.

Last edited by FounderOne (2018-06-06 07:01:26)

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#21 2018-06-06 06:50:25

Intangir

i think those 'hindering murderer' tips i put forward could help..

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1805

doesn't punish or prevent killings (justifiable ones, or murders), it just makes it more likely they will be stopped, disarm them, make them drop their weapon

#22 2018-06-06 07:01:54

Glassius

FounderOne wrote:

It was Abby with a bloody knife in her hands. I stabbed her and she said something like "finally". I made a lock and locked the room. I placed three bows and two knifes in it.

Very clever. If I wanted to start killing, I would also hide all weapons smile

What I think (despite low weapon variety and lack of karma). People lacks communication. Writing is dangerous, slow and wastes time. When 1 kill occur, the whole settlent is distracted by it and it is hard to detect what happened, also because lack of view. People are killing each other because  of suspicion.  Solution to so many things would be to include by Jason better resolution in native.  Also, voice chat.

#23 2018-06-06 07:39:22

iguane

New player since ten days I fell in love with this game that offers a real community facet. Thank you Jason!

I would like to come here to give my contribution on the problem of murders. I realized the meaning you wanted to give to the game, Jason, was "realplay."

I think that murder can and should be an integral part of the game (otherwise you would have created a PvE server) but when yesterday I myself was confronted with this kind of situation I understood what posed a problem: the unrealism of murder that leaves little chance to the victim/society and goes against the concepts of the game.

I am therefore going to make a few proposals here which, in my opinion, go in the direction of social development around the concept of crime.

Attempted murder can fail:
- An archery shot has a chance to kill otherwise the person is only injured
- A stab wound kills from behind, kills someone weak (child or elderly character). But if a person of equivalent "strength" (based on sex, age or level of hunger) faces the attacker he has a chance of being injured or even disarming the attacker. It would allow someone to face and protect their family.

Injury Management:
- An injured person could have a more or less long time to heal himself (one could introduce here a tree of health technologies and start with a simple bandage).
If the injured person does not heal himself, he dies.

Protection against injuries
- A lot of possibility at clothing level to reduce the probability of being killed on impact
- A shield (skin + wood) could protect against arrows.

Unlethal weapons:
- A longhaft could make it possible to disarm at close range the carrier of a weapon
- The lasso could give a chance to disarm at some distance the carrier of a weapon

Without removing the possibility of killing, these ideas give some leads to allow villages to give policing responsibility to certain villagers (by equipping them with armour and non-lethal weapons for example) without the risk of increasing the number of griefers. Allowing backstab also gives murderers an extra challenge and makes this gameplay more interesting without sinking into grieving.

I look forward to hearing your views on these proposals. (especially Jason's);)

#24 2018-06-06 08:46:42

Feldspar

I think what we all have to remember is that 5% of the human population are clinical psychopaths who are literally incapable of feeling empathy.

Since they can't actually relate to other people I would imagine that a large part of the game would hold no interest for them- after all if you can't connect with other players you are not going to get any real joy out of the social experiences like raising your kids, making friends, or passing on skills to new players. Consequently the game gets boring for these people the moment the top of the tech tree is reached. When this happens they turn to the only social interaction they really understand- exerting power over other people.

Unfortunately the way the game is currently built, psychopaths get a disproportionate amount of power. Weapons are impossible to build quickly and use up valuable resources so a smart village of empathetic players will be inclined to build as little of these items as possible. But if a psychopath comes along and gets their hands on the knife, then its pretty much all over for the entire village- there could be 50 really good, hardworking, cooperative players there but the game mechanics render them useless the moment a psycho starts killing.

As many people have mentioned in previous threads, there needs to be more in game ways to counteract murderers. There have been plenty of good suggestions made already(medicine for victims, lassos can capture murderers etc etc). Tbh I don't think it matters exactly what solution is picked, but I do think that whatever counter strategy is made available should have one requirement- it needs to require empathy, good teamwork and cooperation.

Let the greater number of nice players be an actual advantage (also it would make better stories if uncle joe was able to throw himself on the knife to disarm the killer and save the village,as opposed to "everyone ran away and hid when the murders started" type stories).

just here putting off doing my assignments

#25 2018-06-06 08:59:39

TrustyWay

I do work hard in cities, but I destroy sometimes crappy early settlements. I feel like murder spree are unstoppable there because of the lack of weapons. My kids cann't even feed themselves, why should i keep them ? Game feels super repetitive at early game.

I mean, game is now limited to food making mainly. Except farming there is nothing special to do. There are no more legacy that lasts more than one day, because of decay or because players all die young and end the family.

Helping people feel like a waste of time because family always end up the same. There are no others villages around to do things with, and this game isn't about roleplay. I can understand people killing because that is realplay, no roleplay intended, just normal human behaviour, it makes killing the only enjoyable thing.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-06 09:34:19)

Board footer