One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-03 14:53:00

zennyrpg

Confessions of a carrot plebe

So I'm new and having trouble, but not where I though I would.  I thought once I taught myself smithing and pies I would be helpful to society.  The problem is that although I know how to do these things, I'm missing the situational knowledge to know what needs to be done in any given town.

My experience is am born into a town and shown the farm.  Usually there are too many people working at the farm.  From reading the forums, I see that spending your life at the farm just waiting for crops to grow but not being very productive is a bad thing.  So I shout "What do we need?" but no one tells me... they are too busy being productive.  I've seen lots of other people looking for jobs too and they are usually ignored.  So I wander around doing odd jobs and when I run out of rabbit families to trap, or do the one task someone was kind enough to give me, I head to the fields and live as a carrot/popcorn/berry plebe.  (Sometimes I get told not to mess with certain stuff, which is fair, but no one tells you what do do, just what not to do.)

I'm probably WAY overthinking this, but the game is complicated and one fool can really hurt things. So can I get some information on the meta, so that I know I'm not hurting by helping?

If there isn't a baker, or if the baker needs a helper: What kind of pies are best?  I think rabbit because the high saturation of food for other pies is kinda wasteful.  Better to use carrots for compost.

If there isn't a smith or they need a helper: What tools are the most important, like to have duplicates of?

If there is clutter, should I grow wheat for baskets?  Is it wasteful, because they decay?

Rope is important for buckets and buckets seem important.  If food needs are taken care of should I grow milkweed?  How do I tell if there is soil to spare?

If there's lots o corn (but also lots of other foods), should I make popcorn?  I think no, because its pretty space inefficient.  I'd also probably have to make bowls myself if i wanted to, so as not to steal from the fields.

What are common tasks you wish mid-skill players would do to smooth things out for high level play?

Please help!  I want to get a job!

#2 2018-06-03 14:58:22

Tea

Re: Confessions of a carrot plebe

Hey there smile

It's so nice of you that you are willing to help your town out and are searching for answers here. I can tell you only what I have experienced and done so far but they might not all be that helpful as i thought so I would love for people to correct me.

1. Once you are born to a young civilization that is just starting out, you can do some things to help out :
                 - make some baskets
                 - grab a basket and gather some food around like berries, onions and carrots so the people don't have to search for them and continue to do the
                   work they were doing
                 - gather nearby milkweed and milkweedseed
                 - if they have an axe, gather some wood to make lots of kindling and place them either near the fire or the forge

2. When you are born in a town where they are already settled you can as a toddler :
                 - bring some food down to the forge or the nursing station
                 - fill the water pouches or bowls
                 - bring more wood to the fireplaces

Once you are a bit older and have a backpack, you can you out with a basket and go find some iron for the forge and help the person forging by making his job a bit easier like looking for long shafts and such.
When they are low on food and they need help with the farm, you can go out again to gather more food or just lend a hand to the farmers by searching seeds and looking for soil.
You can also go ahead and prepare a pen for the sheep and ask someone to help you getting one.

--> The Bakery :
           - always is in need of water. So what you can do is build a cistern near it and fill it with water, so they don't need to walk so much to get some
           - carrot rabbit pies and mutton pies are for me the best pies. So if they have those, grab them and bring them to the bakery
           - you can put the straw either next to the berries or the farm, depends where the people want to make the compost

--> The Forge :
           - when you are the only one to forge, make sure to make an axe first, then a hoe and then a shovel. You can make other tools next but those three tools are the most
             important ones to make first
           - if someone is already working in the forge, ask them if you can help them and if they agree, bring them food, iron and lend them a hand when the iron is warm

There are a lot of things that have to be done but the most important thing for me is checking that there is enough food for everyone. When there isn't, look if the farm needs more soil or seeds and when there is already someone searching for those, grab a basket and gather some wild berries or cactus fruit to bring them back to the town. There are two kinds of people when the food is getting low : Some panic and wait for their death and some wonder off to search for berries to eat without taking some back to the village.

I hope that this can help you a bit.

Much love,
Tea

Last edited by Tea (2018-06-03 15:26:33)

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#3 2018-06-03 15:00:16

Crow

Since the new update I've not seen anyone making them, but before a mix of rabbit and carrot (put in a bowl and mashed together) was a better choice for pie than just rabbit. But mutton seems to be the best if there's plenty around.

For the smithing it's usually best to ask but you can't go wrong with axes since most people tend to take them out, cut the trees and just leave them there. Hoes are also a good choice to have duplicates of since if the only one around breaks it can kind of cripple a farm.

Another good choice if you're feeling like you're not being productive is gathering branches in the early stages or in the later stages if you have an axe, firewood. It means that if there's plenty of people smithing, baking or making popcorn there's always a decent supply of firewood and kindling to keep the fires and ovens/forges going.

#4 2018-06-03 15:01:12

pein

its a straight line to reach high tech, try do it alone many many times
i always know what the city needs, sometimes i dont find tools and make one extra but other than that i focus the most important thing

even if you pick off branches, get clay near kiln, its great for others who know what to do

berry pie is ebst, and berry is best, just pick all berries off, water it then in 8 minutes you can make bowl, more berries

lot of people dont do it early, sheep pen or at least a few berry bowls, rope and a bow and arrow prepared, getting soil and planting milkweed always useful

old towns where no basket, making a huge wheat farm also great

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-06-03 15:51:47

breezeknight

carts & boxes are also helpful to a town,
both still need rope, so milkweed is needed
& backpacks oc, clothing in general, here milkweed too or as of new is wool better, so sheep

#6 2018-06-03 16:59:35

YAHG

I think pien is right. Berries are just best, only water needed. Ponds are broken as fuck and still have infinite water bug (put in and out till full..).

I think best way to get bugs fixed is to use the fuck out of them.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#7 2018-06-03 18:27:05

WomanWizard

Tea wrote:

--> The Forge :
           - when you are the only one to forge, make sure to make an axe first, then a hoe and then a shovel. You can make other tools next but those three tools are the most
             important ones to make first

Why an ax and hoe before shovel? I'm also a mid level player (who poses as a skilled player in game when nobody else knows what to do) and never know the correct tool order. I assumed a shovel would be super important to get the sheep pen up and going for compost, especially if you barely have any iron.

Super helpful thread by the way. People are always asking me what to do because I seem to know what I'm doing, but I'm definitely faking it the whole time.

Last edited by WomanWizard (2018-06-03 18:27:20)

#8 2018-06-03 18:42:57

YAHG

I also think shovel > axe . If people are just gathering branches there will be plenty of fuel wood, yeah axe for
swamp and pine trees is good.. but how good? Most of fuel just gets tossed into baby fire instead of using
free desert tiles from what I am seeing.

Rarely will a settlement have enough milks to rope up carts anyways.. and froe and adze are not as useful
as shovel either.

Compost is king, wether a settlement can get a good source of soil seems to be most important Second stage
gate atm. First is still water transport into farming.

Soil usage is so fucking high right now, yes the pits are bigger but it is a massive labor cost to drag it all over
when >90% of us are totally naked and there is usually only 1-2 backpacks about.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#9 2018-06-03 18:48:54

startafight

farms are often the easiest way to contribute. milkweed farms always need to be created/expanded on. and berry farms are always useful. rn in the meta u would be most helpful if u knew how to be a shepard

#10 2018-06-03 18:51:22

Tea

I like to make an axe first, because it is a really pain in the ass to keep the fire going with just kindling. With an ax we can have more wood and don't need to run around the whole map to find some shafts and such. And there is rarely a person kind enough to wonder around and gather those branches ^^

A hoe can be made as third, i just like to make it as fast as possible to not use too many milkweed if the stone hoe brakes.

I'm very very lazy so i like to have everything near me sorted and not running around searching stuff, that's why the axe first and then the hoe tongue

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#11 2018-06-03 18:57:16

WomanWizard

I guess it comes down to preference and what the village needs most. That froe and adze might be important early tools if there's an iron vein nearby and not a lot or iron on the surface.

#12 2018-06-03 19:08:59

YAHG

WomanWizard wrote:

I guess it comes down to preference and what the village needs most. That froe and adze might be important early tools if there's an iron vein nearby and not a lot or iron on the surface.

Yeah. I usually either forage for irons or get one of the helpful villagers to do it. Once you have like ~6
you have enough to make a full basic set (axe,shovel,hoe,froe,adze,file,saw?).

I think if you are gonna make a saw/file it is SUPER important to have another 4+ iron ready to make at
least 4 knives in your first batch. Knives are debatably the best weapon in the game and it is a HORRIBLE
idea to only have one in your village. Even if you are cool/responsible/etc. Soon enough someone with
the knife will die and it will be loose.

1 Weapon --> Power imbalance

Lots of Weapons gives us a chance to Mob up on people causing trouble. You can hide em if you want or
whatever but I find that when 3 + people are all standing near a murder grave it all chills out faster and
more reliably. I have negotiated plenty of status quo truces so far.

#13 2018-06-03 19:33:47

WomanWizard

And then you find a griefer with four knives shoved into her backpack.

But I kid. That's a good point about having backup weapons. I guess in short, if the farms are being taken care of and you don't want to stand around munching on carrots your whole life, looking for surface iron is a good use of your time. I'd just heard there was less of it these days, so knowing where there's a vein is important too.

#14 2018-06-03 19:37:45

YAHG

WomanWizard wrote:

And then you find a griefer with four knives shoved into her backpack.

But I kid. That's a good point about having backup weapons. I guess in short, if the farms are being taken care of and you don't want to stand around munching on carrots your whole life, looking for surface iron is a good use of your time. I'd just heard there was less of it these days, so knowing where there's a vein is important too.

Yeah, I guess you gonna have to make 8 knives smile 4 for their pack and 3 for their basket and one for you..

That loot drop though 0_0

#15 2018-06-03 20:45:35

Lily

When it comes to smiting, you can always do prep work. If you are not sure what tools to make, or don't need any, make a bunch of ingots. My main priority is always composting, since if you have compost up and running you are in a much better shape. Included in that, is you need a knife to butcher the extra sheep while composting. If you got compost going, and you got the sheep meat coming, then next I would focus on meat pies.

If you are composting and got meat pies going, then you should be in good shape. You are at the pinnacle of civilization. At that point you can increase the production of composting, or other productions, or build walls and floors, or bell towers and signs or whatever.

#16 2018-06-03 20:49:05

WomanWizard

Hey, if the griefer's busy holding a basket of knives, she's much easier to stab!

But agreed. Prep work and tidying things up is useful. Farms, smith, sheep, wheat, compost. See where in that list you are and work towards the next one.

#17 2018-06-04 00:13:52

pein

correct order is
hammer-to make everything else
axe- you wont have branches all the day, and a rope for a hatchet sometimes harder to make than getting one iron
shovel- pen, well
hoe? use the stone one until you can
adze- fences and mallet
froh- boards, doors boxes
chisel- need to get a file, and make stone paths
file- shears, saw, knife
pickaxe-iron vein, you still need saw for a bucket
then a few hoes, shovels, axes, chisels, locks, keys

depends on situation, i seen biomes that never run out of branches
but it runs out usually so axe is important
even two shovels are nice, people cant make pen and fuck up with graves and stumps

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2018-06-04 00:14:29

Feldspar

Yes to what all these guys have said, but also to go along with it some other jobs are:

Village Janitor: Doesn't sound glamorous but can literally be lifesaving! Often people working in time intensive jobs don't have time to clean up around the site. Take on the role of removing broken tools, stacking items in boxes/baskets and setting out a consistent storage area for unused furs/clothes/whatever. This makes for a cleaner base which means less travel time for everyone and less chance of people dying in dumb situations like accidentally dying from picking up the broken hoe instead of the lifesaving carrot. In particular don't be afraid to splurge out on basket/box/cart making for storage around the farm as the faster farmers can harvest and replant crops, the less likely a village is to starve.

Tailor: Ironically in many of my more productive lives have been spent completely naked because I haven't had time to find/craft clothing. Start making and delivering clothes and backpacks to hardworking villages to make their lives easier.

Clothes dyeing: If the town is doing really well and there's wool clothes around than make some dye! I did this once and found myself absolutely swamped by excited people hoping to pimp out their woolly hats. It may not be a very practical job but its fun and people enjoy it!

Build Hunters Camps: This is actually a new one I've come across that I think will be a great addition to the meta. Essentially find an area a good distance away from town that is near rabbits and a water source. Set up a small berry farm and leave a clay bowl beside it for watering. Leave a snare nearby for the rabbits. If you're doing really well, also add a milkweed farm and bone needle so hunters can craft on site. Finished that? Add a bow and arrow! This is not only great for keeping people doing long range hunting trips alive, but as I found in a previous game, it is a great anti griefer defense as it provides a safe place to hideout and wait for things to calm down. If we built small hunters camps in each direction it becomes much harder to destroy a town as more people could escape into the wilderness and get the chance to arm themselves.

just here putting off doing my assignments

#19 2018-06-04 01:54:41

IronBear

zennyrpg wrote:

So I'm new and having trouble, but not where I though I would.  I thought once I taught myself smithing and pies I would be helpful to society.  The problem is that although I know how to do these things, I'm missing the situational knowledge to know what needs to be done in any given town.

My experience is am born into a town and shown the farm.  Usually there are too many people working at the farm.  From reading the forums, I see that spending your life at the farm just waiting for crops to grow but not being very productive is a bad thing.  So I shout "What do we need?" but no one tells me... they are too busy being productive.  I've seen lots of other people looking for jobs too and they are usually ignored.  So I wander around doing odd jobs and when I run out of rabbit families to trap, or do the one task someone was kind enough to give me, I head to the fields and live as a carrot/popcorn/berry plebe.  (Sometimes I get told not to mess with certain stuff, which is fair, but no one tells you what do do, just what not to do.)

I'm probably WAY overthinking this, but the game is complicated and one fool can really hurt things. So can I get some information on the meta, so that I know I'm not hurting by helping?

If there isn't a baker, or if the baker needs a helper: What kind of pies are best?  I think rabbit because the high saturation of food for other pies is kinda wasteful.  Better to use carrots for compost.

If there isn't a smith or they need a helper: What tools are the most important, like to have duplicates of?

If there is clutter, should I grow wheat for baskets?  Is it wasteful, because they decay?

Rope is important for buckets and buckets seem important.  If food needs are taken care of should I grow milkweed?  How do I tell if there is soil to spare?

If there's lots o corn (but also lots of other foods), should I make popcorn?  I think no, because its pretty space inefficient.  I'd also probably have to make bowls myself if i wanted to, so as not to steal from the fields.

What are common tasks you wish mid-skill players would do to smooth things out for high level play?

Please help!  I want to get a job!

I am glad you are wanting to be more effective here is my advice by priority.

1) Don't stress about being particularly useful before 15 years old.  Most kids get impatient or too ambitious and get themselves starved.  Just focus on getting older.

2) Take your  first 15 minutes to explore the settlement.  Carry a carrot or berry and look around.  Take your youth to figure out what task is being ignored in your community. 

3) There is ALWAYS something being ignored on the farm.  To run a farm you need people: picking, seeding, watering, fetching water, fetching soil, fetching worms, making water vessels, and making hoes.  Figure out what is not being done, and do it.

4) If you feel like you are STILL steeping on toes, feel free to be a wilderness harvester.  That is when you go out in the wilderness and return with baskets, thread, and wheat from the wilderness.  People always need baskets, thread, and wheat.

#20 2018-06-04 02:02:55

YAHG

IronBear wrote:

I am glad you are wanting to be more effective here is my advice by priority.

1) Don't stress about being particularly useful before 15 years old.  Most kids get impatient or too ambitious and get themselves starved.  Just focus on getting older.

2) Take your  first 15 minutes to explore the settlement.  Carry a carrot or berry and look around.  Take your youth to figure out what task is being ignored in your community. 

3) There is ALWAYS something being ignored on the farm.  To run a farm you need people: picking, seeding, watering, fetching water, fetching soil, fetching worms, making water vessels, and making hoes.  Figure out what is not being done, and do it.

4) If you feel like you are STILL steeping on toes, feel free to be a wilderness harvester.  That is when you go out in the wilderness and return with baskets, thread, and wheat from the wilderness.  People always need baskets, thread, and wheat.

Amen, you have to see the whole picture to find where you can help out the most. If 30% of people did the above there would be barely any Eve spawns.

Board footer