One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-01 12:29:44

MegaLlama

Should I get this game?

When I first heard about OHOL, I was fascinated by the concept and gameplay, I was desperate to get it. After watching a few youtube videos on it, my desire only increased, however I have recently heard people saying that the game is too hard/frustrating, buggy, laggy and downright bad. After seeing these things, I am currently more on the fence about this game. Should I get OHOL? Should I wait a little longer for Jason to iron out the kinks and add new features? Or should I just avoid it altogether? The community seems very friendly (aside from the surprisingly small group of trolls) and I really love the concepts and ideas behind the game, but I just want to make sure it is a worthwhile investment.

Thanks, MegaLlama

#2 2018-06-01 12:33:26

MidgetMaker

Re: Should I get this game?

I say go for it.  With the update added yesterday, the game (so far) seems much more balanced than it has in the past few weeks.  If you really want to be safe, wait a few days for the pros to fully sort out how the Small Farm Update has changed the game.

#3 2018-06-01 12:47:34

Twig

This game has been one of the most emtionally rewarding games I have ever played, it has also made me question our existence as human beings in a way I didnt think it would. The first moment it did this was when I first died of old age and I realised I will never be able to replay that moment ever again, but the journey to old age was worth it.

Buy the game, it is completely worth your money. It is not perfect, but I feel since the recent update its heading in the right direction, but the learning curve is steep so expect to be challenged.

Last edited by Twig (2018-06-01 12:48:34)

#4 2018-06-01 13:04:33

FounderOne

Defenetly you should get it.
There is at the moment a lot of tweaking around with the foundation of the game. One update may be better balanced, the other one not. Balancing is a pretty hard thing in such a game. But Jason is really hard working and when something is totally out of control fast fixes come.

Actually I didn't saw that many bugs, sure there are a few here and there but nothing game breaking. Most of them more funny to watch. Like a wolf that was shot, but didn't died and stayed in the city forever tongue

I don't face to many lags, just when you have a bad connection or a really crappy computer.

The beginning is sure frustrating, because you need to know a lot if you want to survive. But survining does guarantee you to get further in the tech tree.

But if you prepare and watch some videos and look at the site "one tech" you will come in the game easier and the pain won't be that big. And the more you play the more you will know and the more you can do.

It's not a game like angry birds that you just start and play one round and finish. You will have lots of fun with it, if you take the time, the price is more then fair. I guess I didn't played other games that much like ohol.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#5 2018-06-01 13:13:24

Feldspar

Yup this game is great fun so go for it! As the others have said, theres a lot of tweaking happening at the moment but the last update was fantastic and even with the not so good updates you can still have a really good run smile

just here putting off doing my assignments

#6 2018-06-01 13:27:24

Alleria

As a "pro" (I think you qualify as "pro" too Midget) the new meta is the easiest it's ever been. This is literally the best time in the past 4 months to buy the game - it's as noob friendly as it's ever been. People will teach you, because food is plentiful, and people will tell you all about Centiotl, the Corn God. If you want to hang out with cool people, come into the Discord. A lot of people think we're toxic as fuck, but they don't know what they're talking about.

This is the best time ever to join the game IMO

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#7 2018-06-01 13:33:44

SimonK.Icyy

Since the new update, this game has been nothing but good times. Everyone is super friendly, lots of corn talk, and a bunch of interaction with other people. It's become very peaceful and the communities feel like an actual community now. People talk to one another, mess around talking about the corn god, and everyone has a great time. I most certainly would buy this game now. These past few games have been the most fun i've had in this game to date. You will not regret buying it.

#8 2018-06-01 14:25:55

Lotus

Absolutely buy this game. It is definately worth the twenty dollars paid for it. Of course, it has its downsides, but doesn't every game? OHOL is one of the most unique and impactful games I've played to date.

#9 2018-06-01 16:13:57

Valences42

I feel that each person is limited in their perspective by their personal experience.  I find this to be a fascinating and mostly enjoyable experience.

However, if you get the game...  please do plan on taking breaks.  The more serious players at times seem to show signs of fatigue, which gets vented in very salty rants here.

I am a very stubborn person and get addicted to things like this fast.  At some point banging your head against the wall causes brain damage... lol.  If you do not cope well with moral gray areas, and value an unchanging game design structure, this game may not be for you in the long run.

I hope that helps you out with your decision.  At this point, it's more of an evolving experience than a 'wham blam finished game' kinda thing.

Kinda refreshing in an odd way.

#10 2018-06-01 17:27:05

matthy

some people get salty that the game constantly changes, honestly I like this testing phase, it feels fresh each time i play it. Go for it and watch some basic tutorials first so you get a nice first experience

#11 2018-06-01 17:29:56

startafight

all you really need to succeed at this game is this link: https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/ and basic knowledge of how to feed urself n rationing out materials n food. its a super fun game! give it a go

#12 2018-06-01 17:41:52

Berry_Bee

Like other games that go though updates there have been some ups and downs, but overall this game is really rewarding and fun to play and see how your family keeps things going. It's really amazing to be reborn in a city that you lived in the equivalent of 3000 game years ago. Also the link in my signature is for an easy mode server that is really nice for getting all the crafting down. I'm using it to learn all the crafting that you don't always get the opportunity to do each life.

#13 2018-06-01 18:25:09

Commodore

Playing as the games evolves and gets updated is part of the fun. It's also gonna make you want to come back for at least an hour or two a week, so that's a lot of hours over time. The game is difficult to get into, but if you accept that you can't learn everything right away, you'll be fine. As long as you know th basic controls, people will show you how to farm. Maybe in another life you can be a baker apprentice.

Do keep in mind that those who are ranting about the game being unbalanced and bugged and everything, are people who are playing hours and hours. It's actually a sign that they care a lot about it.

#14 2018-06-01 20:45:35

pein

if you got like 4gb ram and some decent internet then is playable
its cheap for the hours you might play

you will sometimes be frustrated, i go for smoke every time i die, but i had many good lifes too, and you can develop habits that keep you alive and safe

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2018-06-01 20:59:05

Lily

I would get the game but go in with the understanding that it is similar to buying a game as an early access. Things change a lot, and is expanding often. It is entirely playable and fun in the current state though. Also you play the game in one hour chunks, and each life is self contained. So there is no issue with playing a few lives, then taking time off and coming back later and playing a few games. It isn't really the type of game you play for 60 hours in a few weeks, then never play again. There is a lot of people who don't like an update so quit playing for a few weeks then come back and start playing again when they see something interesting that was added.

#16 2018-06-01 23:10:28

Kami_The_Man

Absolutely yes. The game's price is nowhere near worth the many hours you will get out of it.

Yes it can be somewhat hard at the beginning but, once you get the hang of it you will be very entertained. The bugs are very small and like earlier stated more funny than game braking.

#17 2018-06-01 23:11:16

YAHG

You gonna die soo often but like I told me in game sis.. The babies are Protestants so they will be born again soon..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Board footer