One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-30 21:18:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

New idea: twins

This idea came up in a conversation about the old "I want to play with my friends" chestnut.

What I really want to avoid is clans of otherwise mute characters (on voice chat) dominating a village and alienating everyone who isn't part of their clan.  I don't want to give you a way that you can fill your village with your friends.

I also don't want you to control who your mother is, or who your baby is.  Having those both be strangers is really important.  It's the whole point of the game, really.  Being thrown into some situation and having to deal with it with no help from friends.

But many of those aspect are preserved just fine if you are born to the same mother as your friend at the same time.

I.e., twins.  True twins.  Not happenstance twins due to timing or short birth cooldowns, but actual twins, born at the same moment sever-side.  Might as well make you identical while we're at it.

What if this was the ONLY way to play with your friend, and also the only way that true identical twins would ever occur in the game.  So the mother---and everyone else in the village---will know you are together.  If you seem to be quiet and have some special way of communicating with each other, that makes sense---you're identical twins.

Your mother can give you cute names like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

And she can decide whether twins are too much of a burden for her right now.... which one of you will she save?

Thus, you and your friend are indeed thrown into a situation.  And what a situation!  Possibly a more difficult situation than an ordinary baby faces in the game.

This would work by letting you set a "twin email" on the login screen, and you would wait for that other person to join before you are both born together as twins.

Thoughts?

#2 2018-05-30 21:38:03

hihibanana

Re: New idea: twins

I think this is a really good idea. I'm supportive of the anarchaic playstyle that this game allows, so maybe my opinion wouldn't be the best when considering other people's experiences.

#3 2018-05-30 21:41:17

Kami_The_Man

This sounds really fun

#4 2018-05-30 21:43:07

MidgetMaker

love the idea.  however if two people are wanting to play together, and the mother only feeds one them, 99% of the time the second kid would suicide.  plus it would allow griefers to group up more easily.  could still be fun though.

#5 2018-05-30 22:13:20

teanah

uhm.... I`d probably abandon both of them just about every time that happened. I doubt I`m the only one.

Two kids at a time is too many unless you`re in a town where everything is running smoothly, which is pretty rare. There would be no point in trying to `save one` It would be a waste of time and resources because I`d expect the chosen one to just suicide anyway to try and be reborn with their friend again.

Like MidgetMaker says, I`d also be suspicious of griefers teaming up and even if not griefing I`d worry that they`d be too invested in playing together to be helpful if the town needed something like one of them to hunt rabbits north and the other to go scavenging to the south.

#6 2018-05-30 22:41:31

FounderOne

MidgetMaker wrote:

love the idea.  however if two people are wanting to play together, and the mother only feeds one them, 99% of the time the second kid would suicide.  plus it would allow griefers to group up more easily.  could still be fun though.

same thoughts about it.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#7 2018-05-31 00:53:19

Eclipciz

This is a great idea. I can coordinate with people to play this game.

It would make it a lot more fun and encourage new players who want to experience the game with the friend. Please add this!

Ethical Killing
One Step One Life
One At A Time

#8 2018-05-31 02:44:24

Portager

Awesome idea that sticks with the overall vision of the game, and allows people to play with their friends.

#9 2018-05-31 03:02:38

Anshin

teanah wrote:

uhm.... I`d probably abandon both of them just about every time that happened. I doubt I`m the only one.

Two kids at a time is too many unless you`re in a town where everything is running smoothly, which is pretty rare. There would be no point in trying to `save one` It would be a waste of time and resources because I`d expect the chosen one to just suicide anyway to try and be reborn with their friend again.

Like MidgetMaker says, I`d also be suspicious of griefers teaming up and even if not griefing I`d worry that they`d be too invested in playing together to be helpful if the town needed something like one of them to hunt rabbits north and the other to go scavenging to the south.

THIS.

#10 2018-05-31 03:09:13

Lily

I am all for this BUT you have to make having more than one child at a time manageable. There has been a ton of suggestions on this. Like putting babies in your backpack, so you can hold a baby and a basket, or even two babies at once. Or balance a basket on your head while you hold a baby. Or heck, let people pick up and carry two babies at once.

You can't survive and do anything while towing around even a single baby as it is. If you have the baby follow you, you have to walk every where at like half or even quarter speed. That is currently the best case scenario, is you carry a basket while walking at baby speed and hoping they don't get lost. More often than not, you have to ditch whatever basket you might have had and just pick up the baby and carry it to a new location.

What are you supposed to do with two babies at once? Juggle them? Then you die of starvation in less than a minute because you are constantly switching back and forth between them and can't carry any food what so ever.

Being born as twins is basically a death sentence unless the mother has a backpack or is in the middle of town next to a fire. And it isn't even due to a lack of resources. You could have a mountain of food like 5 screens away, but your not even going to get the babies there before you or they die. If you can just pick them both up and carry them you would be fine, but nope, babies are a huge pain in the butt to move. You regularly have to ditch gear in the middle of the forest just to take care of one baby. I don't see why that is a thing. Why do we have to ditch items in the forest because we had a baby? Just let people carry stuff!

Carry two babies at once, or a basket and baby, or put your baby into your backpack so you can do stuff in your hands, or let babies grab onto people so they are carried around automatically by anyone they grab and they go half speed or something, or let me put two babies into a basket. Or one baby and one other item in a basket. Or have a home marker like thing that shows a baby where your mother is so they don't get lost. Literally, you can do almost anything and it would be fine, just make having a baby a bit more manageable.

Having a single baby in the forest away from home is already a huge pain in the butt, having twins away from town is a nightmare. Leaving a child behind to die should be due to not having enough food or resources, the main reason shouldn't be, "I can't possibly survive the 30 second walk back to town if I take both." That is a dumb reason to leave children to die, yet it is a very real fact in this game.

#11 2018-05-31 03:25:36

Acozi

I feel like the friends playing together would complain about the mother choosing to only keep one child alive, which I think would happen more often than not.

Also, let's say both players are 40, productive and having fun. Player A dies from a rattlesnake accidentally. Player B will most likely want to keep playing with their friend, so they'll suicide. What if they were the last female? I'm ok with family lines dying out from murderers, bears, stupidity and the like. But because a player wants to play with their friend again? Doesn't feel right.

I'd love for people to play together but I just don't think this game is made for that. I think being alone, unsure of your surroundings and who is friend or foe adds so much to the game. If I had twins I feel like KNOWING twins are friends would really put me off to even bothering with them.

#12 2018-05-31 03:28:02

Anshin

1917-chinese-mother-carrying-children-with-a-yolk-and-baskets-cn83b6.jpg

#13 2018-05-31 03:49:44

MidgetMaker

Acozi wrote:

If I had twins I feel like KNOWING twins are friends would really put me off to even bothering with them.

that's a good point.  it would really break immersion.  i'm torn on this because me and my gf play at the same time and it would be awesome to be able to work together.  i just feel there are too many downsides unfortunately.

#14 2018-05-31 03:50:16

Lily

I sure there are hundreds if not thousands of ways to carry babies around. It is just a matter of picking one.

#15 2018-05-31 03:52:08

afloatingstone

I would probably abandon twins for the reasons outlined above - high likelihood of suicide if one dies, refusing to do separate tasks, talking to each other while excluding others. Would prefer they play on a private server if they must play together.
Not to mention the impracticalities of raising two babies at once.

Last edited by afloatingstone (2018-05-31 03:53:24)

#16 2018-05-31 03:54:32

MidgetMaker

Anshin wrote:

1917-chinese-mother-carrying-children-with-a-yolk-and-baskets-cn83b6.jpg

yew shaft + rope + 2 baskets.  love it!

Last edited by MidgetMaker (2018-05-31 03:55:09)

#17 2018-05-31 04:41:07

YAHG

Lily wrote:

I am all for this BUT you have to make having more than one child at a time manageable. There has been a ton of suggestions on this. Like putting babies in your backpack, so you can hold a baby and a basket, or even two babies at once. Or balance a basket on your head while you hold a baby. Or heck, let people pick up and carry two babies at once.

You can't survive and do anything while towing around even a single baby as it is. If you have the baby follow you, you have to walk every where at like half or even quarter speed. That is currently the best case scenario, is you carry a basket while walking at baby speed and hoping they don't get lost. More often than not, you have to ditch whatever basket you might have had and just pick up the baby and carry it to a new location.

What are you supposed to do with two babies at once? Juggle them? Then you die of starvation in less than a minute because you are constantly switching back and forth between them and can't carry any food what so ever.

Being born as twins is basically a death sentence unless the mother has a backpack or is in the middle of town next to a fire. And it isn't even due to a lack of resources. You could have a mountain of food like 5 screens away, but your not even going to get the babies there before you or they die. If you can just pick them both up and carry them you would be fine, but nope, babies are a huge pain in the butt to move. You regularly have to ditch gear in the middle of the forest just to take care of one baby. I don't see why that is a thing. Why do we have to ditch items in the forest because we had a baby? Just let people carry stuff!

Carry two babies at once, or a basket and baby, or put your baby into your backpack so you can do stuff in your hands, or let babies grab onto people so they are carried around automatically by anyone they grab and they go half speed or something, or let me put two babies into a basket. Or one baby and one other item in a basket. Or have a home marker like thing that shows a baby where your mother is so they don't get lost. Literally, you can do almost anything and it would be fine, just make having a baby a bit more manageable.

Having a single baby in the forest away from home is already a huge pain in the butt, having twins away from town is a nightmare. Leaving a child behind to die should be due to not having enough food or resources, the main reason shouldn't be, "I can't possibly survive the 30 second walk back to town if I take both." That is a dumb reason to leave children to die, yet it is a very real fact in this game.

It is too fucking much... If I have steel ignots why can't I just staple the baby to myself?

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#18 2018-05-31 07:32:46

pein

it could be synched to born to the same place, same time, but beeing a twin is too much information, also a way to get killed, like they see your twin taking a basket of carrots, then you
not being able to carry both
not being able to feed two
not trusting small group

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#19 2018-05-31 09:27:51

Aurora Aurora

I like the twins. Just not the idea of twins knowing each other.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#20 2018-05-31 15:00:10

Feldspar

I really like the idea as it would give me a chance to get my friends into the game! That being said there should be some precautions put in place when it comes to twins; perhaps they are only born into larger towns somehow? Or mothers who have twins have a much longer birth cool down time.

Another option to allow co-op play would be twin Eves. It would be fun have the odd chill out game where you and a friend start your town together- and being an eve kinda forces you to talk to the other players as you've got to give instructions to your first kids.

just here putting off doing my assignments

#21 2018-05-31 15:48:13

Anshin

Feldspar wrote:

... twin Eves. It would be fun have the odd chill out game where you and a friend start your town together- and being an eve kinda forces you to talk to the other players as you've got to give instructions to your first kids.

Now you're talking! Solves all the twin baby problems. Smart!

#22 2018-05-31 17:37:14

thewhiterabbit21

I love this idea from both sides - being born as a twin and as a player who is a mother sometimes.

As a mother, twins is undoubtedly harder. However, it would be great if the chance of twins was upped once a woman was in the "twilight of child bearing" years. One could assume she would be a bit more established by then and would gladly welcome twins.
I have been in the situation before where, as an Eve (or a person who ran away from her mom who had a terrible home location), I was building up and too busy / didn't have enough food for babies until I was older. If I had twins in such a situation once I was more established, I'd be really happy to have two kids. Especially if one or both were girls!
I would also love it because the chances of them being able to preserve what I created are higher if they are friends or able to communicate with each other better than other random players.

From a twin perspective, I like it because it sounds fun and novel! Plus, it would help me get friends and other newbies into the game.

#23 2018-05-31 18:06:43

Lotus

Yes to Twin Eves.

Maybe if you don’t have a backpack, baby could ride on mother’s back leaving hands free. With backpack, baby could ride inside it or stay under one arm. Ride in cart or in basket would be extremely helpful (takes up 1-2 item slots)

#24 2018-05-31 21:02:09

sc0rp

thewhiterabbit21 wrote:

I would also love it because the chances of them being able to preserve what I created are higher if they are friends or able to communicate with each other better than other random players.

Actually I think that net effect would be that chances are lower with twins. They may communicate better. But that would not compensate for the fact, that one of them accidentally starving or stepping on a snake = other one insta-quitting. You effectively just putting all your eggs into one basket.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-05-31 21:13:23)

#25 2018-06-01 00:44:49

SimonK.Icyy

Read about half of the suggestions before I thought of this, so sorry if you already said this. Maybe they could spawn in as Adam and Eve? It would make starting a civilization a lot easier because they can communicate and build at the same time.

As for spawning as twins and all that goes, I'm mixed on the idea as most of chat is, because this could enable griefers to destroy generations and generations in a fraction of the time. Another problem is with the mother. I know that if I was an eve that had twins I would have no idea what to do. Raising one child is hard enough, raising two would be an absolute nightmare

Board footer