One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-30 20:43:47

Kami_The_Man

If your a new player, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE FORUMS.

I repeat DON'T LISTEN TO THE FORUMS.

I do not know what it is with these post about "game is ruined by killing" or "I've been murdered so many times" etc. etc.

This is so wrong. In actual reality, the chances of you being killed in this game is about... every 30 lives or so. Being killed is an extremely rare thing. The process to make a knife takes a very long time not to mention that 95% of players are just players not killers.

And at this point in game, its currently near impossible to ruin it via killing. With the new scream, murder corpse, last breath mechanics, and slowing down it is almost impossible for the murderer to kill an entire village without being caught. Unless the village is filled with incompetent people than I can gurantee the murderer will only kill about two or three people before being stopped.

Also do not believe these complicated plans about, "just wait outside the village for people come out." These plans always require time, and the game does not give you much time. By the time the murderer kills two people who went outside the village (btw its very unlikely someone goes far out of the village for anything.) they are already dying from either starvation or old age. And with the last breath mechanic, people can run back in time and scream bloody murder.

So I repeat one last time, DON'T LISTEN TO THE FORUMS. They are completely inaccurate when it comes to certain shit.

It is very easy to grief in this game. However, griefing by killing isn't one of them.

Last edited by Kami_The_Man (2018-05-30 20:44:03)

#2 2018-05-30 20:48:00

Saberhagen

Re: If your a new player, DO NOT LISTEN TO THE FORUMS.

yes I agree.

#3 2018-05-30 20:48:39

YAHG

Be cool to see the stats on cause of death. Paradox is if you are on the forum do we not listen to you as well?

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-05-30 20:51:25

Kami_The_Man

No, you listen to me. Afterall, I'm the man.

#5 2018-05-30 20:51:43

FounderOne

well it is possible, but I died more often to rattle snakes(twice) then to murder in the last time.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#6 2018-05-30 20:55:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You can see who was murdered by cause of death in the family tree browser.

Last time I ran an analysis (two months ago, when griefing was at its peak and murder was easy to do without getting caught), about 1% of lives ended in murder.

Not sure what the rate is today.

#7 2018-05-30 20:56:08

YAHG

Kami_The_Man wrote:

No, you listen to me. Afterall, I'm the man.

Phew... good to know. Someone's gotta do it wink

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#8 2018-05-30 20:56:33

Crow

I think in the time I've been playing I've only been murdered once and it was a total accident. My grandmother was putting down a bow right as I stepped onto that tile.

Definitely stepped on rattlesnakes more times than I can remember.

#9 2018-05-30 21:14:11

sc0rp

jasonrohrer wrote:

Last time I ran an analysis (two months ago, when griefing was at its peak and murder was easy to do without getting caught), about 1% of lives ended in murder.

With this kind of statistics you are seriously underestimating the impact of griefing.  Just one example (don't have a link - can I search somehow for lineages from few days ago?).  In lineage it looks like only two or three people were killed by griefer.  What's the deal, right?  How about others killed by grizzly bear?  It was lured in by the griefer before he started killing himself.  How about those that starved while running from armed greifer?  Those also are his victims.  Kid starved after his mother was killed?  Griefer victim.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-05-30 21:18:30)

#10 2018-05-30 21:25:35

Kami_The_Man

sc0rp wrote:

With this kind of statistics you are seriously underestimating the impact of griefing.  Just one example (don't have a link - can I search somehow for lineages from few days ago?).  In lineage it looks like only two or three people were killed by griefer.  What's the deal, right?  How about others killed by grizzly bear?  It was lured in by the griefer before he started killing himself.  How about those that starved while running from armed greifer?  Those also are his victims.  Kid starved after his mother was killed?  Griefer victim.

Your missing the point. Again, it's easy to grief in this game. But being murderer via a knife griefing is extremely rare. Point of the post (and I guess by association Jason's) is to tell people that being killed by a knife isn't big as a problem as the forum may make it out to seem. And the two situations you just listened are so damn rare. I gurantee the instances you named only happened once or twice in actual game.

Griefing in large is a very big problem. There are plenty of other ways to grief in this game, so many ways. My point isn't to say that griefing isn't a thing. Its the point that mass killing or getting killed by a knife isn't a problem at all anymore.

Last edited by Kami_The_Man (2018-05-30 21:32:07)

#11 2018-05-30 23:49:17

breezeknight

@jasonrohrer

jasonrohrer wrote:

2 months ago ? you must be joking
but maybe that's why for you is murder not a problem at all
& it seems, i must be just imagining things, right ?
you just tell yourself further that murder is not a problem in a game where victims are left helpless lol

maybe i should rather suggest for you to add canibalism, that would be a joy for the murderers to play, finally a new food source, yay !

@Kami_The_Man

maybe you just don't play often enough to be killed often enough to complain

i am not killed now either, because i don't play the game anymore lol

i've been killed farming
i've been killed by the own child
i've been killed for nothing
i've been killed as kid
i've been killed holding my kid
my murderer laughed
my young mother was killed while i was a baby
i've been born multiple times next to bloody corpses
i've killed once a murderer of a mother caring for two kids, all members of the lineage i founded as Eve
i've died at 59 trying to help out with killing a mass murderer
i was several times entrusted with knives
i have fairly enough with scenarios of killings & murder in a game that claims to be about parenting & civilization building, not a word about slaughter of helpless civilians
& i don't even count all those killings of griefers i've encoutered

& what do you mean by "getting killed by a knife isn't a problem at all anymore", since when is it "anymore" ?
last time i played it was may 28th & that was the last straw to the pile above
& you can get killed by bow & arrow as well, since you apparently don't know lol

btw
i am not complaining about being killed
i am complaining about NO protection from murder, NO prevention against murder, NO cure for murder & NO consequences for the murderer
i am complaining about the complete helplessness of a murder victim & the favouritism of killings in OHOL
i do not know one single game where the killers are being favoured while the victims are being misled into the belief that the game is not about killing

#12 2018-05-31 00:47:50

Eclipciz

breezeknight wrote:

@jasonrohrer

jasonrohrer wrote:

2 months ago ? you must be joking
but maybe that's why for you is murder not a problem at all
& it seems, i must be just imagining things, right ?
you just tell yourself further that murder is not a problem in a game where victims are left helpless lol

maybe i should rather suggest for you to add canibalism, that would be a joy for the murderers to play, finally a new food source, yay !

@Kami_The_Man

maybe you just don't play often enough to be killed often enough to complain

i am not killed now either, because i don't play the game anymore lol

i've been killed farming
i've been killed by the own child
i've been killed for nothing
i've been killed as kid
i've been killed holding my kid
my murderer laughed
my young mother was killed while i was a baby
i've been born multiple times next to bloody corpses
i've killed once a murderer of a mother caring for two kids, all members of the lineage i founded as Eve
i've died at 59 trying to help out with killing a mass murderer
i was several times entrusted with knives
i have fairly enough with scenarios of killings & murder in a game that claims to be about parenting & civilization building, not a word about slaughter of helpless civilians
& i don't even count all those killings of griefers i've encoutered

& what do you mean by "getting killed by a knife isn't a problem at all anymore", since when is it "anymore" ?
last time i played it was may 28th & that was the last straw to the pile above
& you can get killed by bow & arrow as well, since you apparently don't know lol

btw
i am not complaining about being killed
i am complaining about NO protection from murder, NO prevention against murder, NO cure for murder & NO consequences for the murderer
i am complaining about the complete helplessness of a murder victim & the favouritism of killings in OHOL
i do not know one single game where the killers are being favored while the victims are being misled into the belief that the game is not about killing

Murdering is over-hyped and it rarely happens when I do my own peaceful lives. 2 months ago WAS the peak of murdering. Even then the percentage is super low, 100 fucking hours it would take if played each life fully to get murdered. It's not as common as it's hyped out to be. I don't get your point.

Murdering CAN be a problem, but it's not about 99% of the time. You are excluding raw data even though a bit old (it's worse than what it is now). I think more publicity into the process has caused outcries like this entire comment section.

This forum is extremely extremely against ideas outside the normality. When proof is giving against them they retaliate.

I get you aren't complaining???

Also, it's not too hard to kill a slowed/bloody murderer. If you are responsible hide every single weapon that is made.

You must realize by doing this you hinder the ability to make other tech. I guess that's a sacrifice that most of these people would take.

I do not care how you have been murdered, I'm wondering if you took the time to look at the family tree afterwards. Let me guess: Most of the time the killer died soon after.

I don't get it, I seriously don't get it. Why the hell are threads like these a breeding ground for people to dramatize and exaggerate situations they've been in.

It's a fucking game (I hate to play this card) and when you die you get to spawn again. You get stabbed you can spawn again and have another 99 lives before being stabbed again!

- Eclipciz

Ethical Killing
One Step One Life
One At A Time

#13 2018-05-31 00:51:56

_______

They don't have to kill everyone in a town, You can target fertile women to kill the lineage. But your right, Murdering isn't always the worst. This whole "purging" of noobs needs to stop still.

But griefing is still a major problem, Other forms of griefing are equally if not worse then killers. They aren't mutually exclusive either,  I could steal all your tools and cartloads food AND kill off your fertile women.

Then again you might not even need to kill anyone, simply stealing is even easier then murdering.

Last edited by _______ (2018-05-31 01:04:44)

#14 2018-05-31 01:11:38

AstroTitan

breezeknight wrote:

i do not know one single game where the killers are being favoured while the victims are being misled into the belief that the game is not about killing

Considering OHOL is meant to be analogous to real life (with artistic interpretation), why don't we see how murder is dealt with in real life:
1. Protection from murder? A robust legal system discouraging it and the ability to arm yourself for self defense
2. Prevention against murder? Its called properly raising your kids to know murdering is bad, or if they still think it is good then medicate them heavily and lock them away (Asylums existed for a reason). Also a legal system that waves consequences in your face.
3. Cure for murder? Umm your already dead...
4. Consequences for the murderer? If you get caught, penalty under the law can be severe. But a surprisingly large fraction of murderers get away with it with no consequences at all.
5. Helplessness of a murder victim? Absolutely helpless unless the victim is armed or within earshot of an officer of the law or a heroic individual.

OHOL is designed as a society/civilization building simulator with extremely unique gameplay that AFIK has zero truly comparable games so just throw away your preconceived "killing game" vs "non-killing game." The only murder protection, prevention, consequences, etc. that exist in real life are those developed by members of that society. Hell "Thou shall not kill" is one of the ten commandments from "God" yet murder is still a daily occurrence even in the most devoutly religious societies.

Jason fully intends us members of society in OHOL to create these systems of law and consequence to deal with the murder problem. Unfortunately the state of the game currently is not conductive of this kind of complex social organisation because everything is word of mouth atm. Once we start getting a robust long term communication solution, like books, the implementation of such a legal system might be more feasible. Until that happens, concealed carry ftw.

#15 2018-05-31 01:23:39

sc0rp

AstroTitan wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

Considering OHOL is meant to be analogous to real life (with artistic interpretation), why don't we see how murder is dealt with in real life:
1. Protection from murder? A robust legal system discouraging it and the ability to arm yourself for self defense
2. Prevention against murder? Its called properly raising your kids to know murdering is bad, or if they still think it is good then medicate them heavily and lock them away (Asylums existed for a reason). Also a legal system that waves consequences in your face.

[...]

Well, IRL you do not respawn.  So if you killed or caught murderer, that's it, you've dealt with the problem.  Current, most severe punishment in OHOL is being teleported to another town, with carte blanche, to do the same. Oh, and if you fucked up, and didn't manage to eradicate the whole lineage, you cannot teleport back to original town to finish it off for 3 hours. But your friend on Discord can...

#16 2018-05-31 01:56:38

breezeknight

Eclipciz wrote:

Murdering is over-hyped and it rarely happens when I do my own peaceful lives. 2 months ago WAS the peak of murdering. Even then the percentage is super low, 100 fucking hours it would take if played each life fully to get murdered. It's not as common as it's hyped out to be. I don't get your point.

Murdering CAN be a problem, but it's not about 99% of the time. You are excluding raw data even though a bit old (it's worse than what it is now). I think more publicity into the process has caused outcries like this entire comment section.

This forum is extremely extremely against ideas outside the normality. When proof is giving against them they retaliate.

I get you aren't complaining???

Also, it's not too hard to kill a slowed/bloody murderer. If you are responsible hide every single weapon that is made.

You must realize by doing this you hinder the ability to make other tech. I guess that's a sacrifice that most of these people would take.

I do not care how you have been murdered, I'm wondering if you took the time to look at the family tree afterwards. Let me guess: Most of the time the killer died soon after.

I don't get it, I seriously don't get it. Why the hell are threads like these a breeding ground for people to dramatize and exaggerate situations they've been in.

It's a fucking game (I hate to play this card) and when you die you get to spawn again. You get stabbed you can spawn again and have another 99 lives before being stabbed again!

- Eclipciz

i do not care what becomes of the killer - NOT AT ALL
i care that i have no option to protect myself from being killed while killers have all options to kill in multiple ways - that's gameplay imbalance !
i have tried to ignore killers, i have tried to reduce my gameplay to the most safe (no females, no babies), killings come in all possible sorts & those are many while there is only one gameplay way to protect from being killed - RUN AWAY - & if you're a baby, then even this option won't succeed

& if you do not care for that one hour of life you are in one game then what do you play at all in OHOL ?
exchangeable lives ? throw away lives ? thanks

why should an unfeeling way to deal with killings in a game about parenthood & civ building be the norm & not the protection of that one certain hour of life ?
why should unfeeling superficial ignorance be the norm & not sensitivity & care ?

my most tragic life was taken from me already, described here
i cared for that one life very much, i bet my mother did also
this opportunity was taken from both of us by some other player for their fun - THEIR FUN, my sorrows
i care for the things & i care for the time i spend doing something
but i can stop caring for a game which tries to make me a killer while pretending to be about parenting & tries to victimize me while pretending that it's about civ building

how many of those killer stories happen in OHOL, stories where players wanted to live a life but were killed ?
how many of those stories count as enough to make players & Jason aware that it is not right what happens & not right how it happens ?
why do i have to put up with even ONCE being killed without warning, without protection & without cure ? WHY ?
in a game that claims to be about parenting & civ building, not one single word that killings take not only place but are performed easily with one stroke on helpless victims,
that i have to promote protection of life in the forum instead of just playing a civilized & civil life in game

i do not care about killers but i care about victims
it's not about the killers & so it's not about retaliation, revenge & avenging - it's about the loss of a life taken !

- - -

#17 2018-05-31 02:37:14

Lily

Murder is definitely a problem at times, but I agree. You are probably far more likely to die from a snake or wolf than a player. Bears are probably about as common as player killers, though a single bear is probably more deadly than a player. So over all, players are probably the least likely to kill you.

Which is why it is often worth making a bow to murder all the near by wolves and making a knife to murder all the snakes, rather than fearing making any weapons.

#18 2018-05-31 02:43:57

breezeknight

AstroTitan wrote:

4. Consequences for the murderer? If you get caught, penalty under the law can be severe. But a surprisingly large fraction of murderers get away with it with no consequences at all.
5. Helplessness of a murder victim? Absolutely helpless unless the victim is armed or within earshot of an officer of the law or a heroic individual.

OHOL is designed as a society/civilization building simulator with extremely unique gameplay that AFIK has zero truly comparable games so just throw away your preconceived "killing game" vs "non-killing game." The only murder protection, prevention, consequences, etc. that exist in real life are those developed by members of that society. Hell "Thou shall not kill" is one of the ten commandments from "God" yet murder is still a daily occurrence even in the most devoutly religious societies.

Jason fully intends us members of society in OHOL to create these systems of law and consequence to deal with the murder problem. Unfortunately the state of the game currently is not conductive of this kind of complex social organisation because everything is word of mouth atm. Once we start getting a robust long term communication solution, like books, the implementation of such a legal system might be more feasible. Until that happens, concealed carry ftw.

first off
IRL people are not born recalling pleasantly successful killings from their past lives & do not proceed doing the same as soon they can hold a knife stolen

ad 3. NOPE
murder is performed in OHOL always in the same easy way
one stroke & the victim falls from perfect health to being dead, this is not how it happens IRL
IRL not every attempt to murder is successful, some even backfire, some people attacked don't get even a scratch, many survive because they were of robust health, trained, easily healing, got help & medicine in time, could protect themselves, had immense luck etc etc
nothing of all this is included in OHOL, if it was, i wouldn't be here writing

& why most posts about murder are about killers & what happens to the killer, about what happens after the murder ? why nobody of those who write about are talking about the victims ? is this some kind of a blind spot or a tabu ? is it too painful, to scary to talk about lives not lived ? or are victims already forgotten because they are dead ? what sort of civilization is this which doesn't care what happened to the life taken ? why bulding a town where nobody cares about the life not lived because everybody cared for the killer ? what ethics is this ?

ad 5. & following - NOPE
i am not a helpless victim IRL, even if someone would try to murder me, i have many options to protect myself, starting already with prevention, with far from being in any sort of danger to be killed
i don't even need a whole society to care for my survival, i am surely now not trained enough to survive easily in the wilderness, but if i would have to, then i could take precautions even against idiots with bow & arrows trying to hit me

a society cannot develop & thrive if there are no prevention options, every society will wither if danger is present on a daily basis
just look what happens in countries where unrest, war, coup, gangs, dictatorship or other sorts of violence become a daily normal, the society stops working, half of the populace flee if they can & if the violence persists, then civilization stagnates & doesn't progress
civilizaiton needs peace, the only civs without peace are depicted in fiction, there is not one RL example of a civ which managed to thrive without peace, every society blossoms after violence is reduced to a manageable, marginal occurance - compared to RL is OHOL's violence out of hand, would this be happening IRL, people would flee out of country - just like i did from OHOL & like players already did by fleeing either to private servers with murder disabled or to unpopulated servers or just leaving without wasting additional time to talk about it

- - -

#19 2018-05-31 08:10:14

pein

80% of the players are managing a carrot farm then die by not finding a berry bush more than 30 tiles away/getting lost in the closest biome, an experienced players avoids this people by suicide

80% of games i manage to make tools/sheep pen, there are killings

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2018-05-31 16:08:33

Spockulon

I've been playing a few hours a week for around two months. I've been murdered only a handful of times, and only a few of those were legitimate griefers. More often than not I was killed over miscommunication or a misunderstanding.

Reasons I've Been Murdered (in-game, of course)

*mom named me after a former griefer, village didn't trust me;
*tried to stop my mother from killing our town's queen (she was a fantastic queen), mother saw me warning her and killed me a minute or two later
*once I was killed for running into town with a knife in my backpack, apparently there had recently been a murder, but no one saw the perp
*been killed for being too old (some people believe elders should suicide to not waste resources I guess)
*got killed for running away from a bear and accidentally bringing it too close to town
*been killed for being a baby of the "wrong gender" (killed as opposed to being left to starve)

In only a few instances have I been killed "just because".

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#21 2018-06-01 04:17:54

Spiegel

Random thought for a 'cure for murder': Maybe down the line with our technological tree or whathaveyou, perhaps we could figure out basic wound treatment like stitches and bandages and junk, or `medicine` of some kind to lessen the devastation of a knife attack while the victim is bleeding out. Like, it heals you from a 'bleeding out' state only to keep you at like, two-thirds of what your hunger was before the stabbing for the remainder of your life, so it can't be spammed. So the truest murder-griefer would have to plan ahead and attempt to sabotage all this 'medicine', or only attack when their target is far away from wherever it's stashed, though I imagine it would end up being common practice to keep it inside of a backpack at all times. It would also probably need some kind of cooldown or something, or to keep the victim just about as slow as the attacker 'cause. . . I mean, otherwise the victim would have an all-too-easy time retaliating against their attacker, by opening up time for them to draw their own knife on the person, and by then I guess it's whoever clicks the tile first at that point. Unless the murderer, too, could use medicine after their victim counter-stabbed them, but said murderer theoretically shouldn't allow themselves to be counter-stabbed too often as their hunger meter would be abysmally low for the remainder of their life.

((If this seems like a good idea, feel free to steal it as your own and post it wherever real suggestions are left!))

Last edited by Spiegel (2018-06-01 04:19:46)

#22 2018-06-01 04:52:12

A Meme Named Luna

That sounds a lot like 2HOL's combat system.

#23 2018-06-01 08:43:26

AstroTitan

breezeknight wrote:
AstroTitan wrote:

ad 3. NOPE

Murder: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another. (by definition murder can't be cured unless you get resurrected, so in a way OHOL already cures murder regularly...)
I do however wish there was a cure for injury.  But our stone age society hasn't figured that out yet I guess. It would be nice if we had some form of primitive bandage, or plant extract ointment; but in those primitive times most serious wounds were fatal regardless of the treatment.

breezeknight wrote:

IRL people are not born recalling pleasantly successful killings from their past lives & do not proceed doing the same as soon they can hold a knife stolen

Some people swear they do... hence the need to lock them up in asylums or prison (I'm not justifying it, just using history as example of how the problem was dealt with)
Yes I think we should have some means to tie people up temporarily and escort them to a jail we fashion and they are unable to leave that jail for the remaining hour of their life(reborn back into same body for 1 hour). Yet again we are just out of the stone age so anything more than stockades or iron handcuffs that prevented them from picking things up would be ahead of their time (still not sure how we figured out steel tools before iron ones...).

breezeknight wrote:

one stroke & the victim falls from perfect health to being dead, this is not how it happens IRL
IRL not every attempt to murder is successful

Without modern medicine it would be rare to survive more than a few weeks with a serious flesh wound. (which equates to the death squeal and few seconds of life we get now after being gibbed)
I agree it would be awesome if there was an easy way to prevent someone from stabbing you (maybe stab is no longer instant but could give you a sound and then 1-2 sec to click on the assailant to make them drop the knife then a scramble for it ensues and repeat until someone fails to defend themselves.) Bows are annoying but can be dealt with by running for your life. If you don't stand still they can't hit you.

breezeknight wrote:

what ethics is this ?

The ethics of primitive human societies and it's fascinating because OHOL is playing on our primal instincts to simulate it without us even knowing.

breezeknight wrote:

ad 5. & following - NOPE
i am not a helpless victim IRL, even if someone would try to murder me, i have many options to protect myself,....then i could take precautions even against idiots with bow & arrows trying to hit me

I believe you would be very capable of defending yourself, but even the most hardened warrior can be taken by surprise by a bear, or the man hunting him. In real life if your standing next to a stranger armed with a bow, you best be ready to bob and weave until you know if he is friendly or not.

breezeknight wrote:

civilizaiton needs peace, the only civs without peace are depicted in fiction, there is not one RL example of a civ which managed to thrive without peace, every society blossoms after violence is reduced to a manageable, marginal occurance - compared to RL is OHOL's violence out of hand, would this be happening IRL, people would flee out of country

Define what you mean by peace. I would agree that civilization requires stability, but not peace. Peace is a goal of most civilizations and as a state not easily maintained, significant effort goes towards keeping the peace. Nearly every civilization in existence today have had horrifically non-peaceful times in their past and many have been founded immediately following some large horrifically bloody conflict. History if full of examples of civilizations collapsing due to war and the remnants flee to different areas before starting a new independent settlements. Yet again OHOL is still in the stone/agricultural/bronze age right now where murder was more commonplace relative to today.

I believe the primary issue right now that is contributing to some peoples frustration with murder rates is the number of active players on official servers. With 60-90 simultaneous players average, when one lone person decides they feel like murdering picture people they are now able to kill 5% of the population directly and 20% indirectly over the few hours they decide to play. Considering people are habitual animals I'm willing to bet those that are complaining the most just happen to play regularly during times when the frequent murderers do. With less than 100 people playing only a few murderers can essentially ruin the game for everyone else. If there were thousands of people playing regularly I think everyone would have less complaints about murder rates even with the current system. But until populations increase it would be nice if one dude didn't have the power to ruin the game for so many others.

#24 2018-06-01 10:02:31

breezeknight

@AstroTitan

first you accept the way how OHOL deals out death while being killed, ALWAYS with only one single stroke & ALWAYS 100% successful
& then you criticize my formulation
this is not helpful

i do not wish for injuries in OHOL
injuries in OHOL will add - yes, ADD - even more suffering into the already overflowing pool of victimization of players
injuries will add another opportunity for aggressive violent players to make other players suffer at whim

same goes for your next suggestion - to tie players up, adds another opportunity for more griefing by, again, another addition of another option to victimize players

you assumption that OHOL is a historically acurate game was rebuffed by Jason, he meant that it's not the case
it's probably easier for him to just add what he thinks fun instead to look up how it actually was happening
also your opinions how things worked in stone age & "primitive societies" are pure speculation, please just talk about what you know for sure how it works IRL instead to speculate while you just imagine things as it pleases you, i rather doubt you are an actual archeologist or anthropologist, so it's pure speculation without even any solid knowledge behind

I believe the primary issue right now that is contributing to some peoples frustration with murder rates is the number of active players on official servers. With 60-90 simultaneous players average, when one lone person decides they feel like murdering picture people they are now able to kill 5% of the population directly and 20% indirectly over the few hours they decide to play. Considering people are habitual animals I'm willing to bet those that are complaining the most just happen to play regularly during times when the frequent murderers do. With less than 100 people playing only a few murderers can essentially ruin the game for everyone else. If there were thousands of people playing regularly I think everyone would have less complaints about murder rates even with the current system. But until populations increase it would be nice if one dude didn't have the power to ruin the game for so many others.

the complete lack of options to deal in a peaceful way with violence & aggression is the issue here & not the number of players
the number of players doesn't change OHOL's bias leaning towards empowerment of violent players at the expense of helplessness of victims, the receivers of that violence

it's not the number of how often a player is being killed
it's the fact that a player is helpless when facing a killer & that a murder takes only one strike & is always successful

there is no options of prevention, protection & cure
also no options of random misclicking, no cases of unsuccessful attempts to kill, no backfiring either

& there is also another matter
maybe there is a misconception here at work

one cannot want to have a peaceful game while not giving every player, even those violent & aggressive players, the freedom to protect themselves against the violence of players who think they have the right to be aggressive & violent

actually just protection works only both ways, not one way

either everybody has the right to protect themselves or the whole system is unjust, skewed & corrupt

- - -

#25 2018-06-01 10:43:40

TrustyWay

You don't like tie people up ? We all want slaves :,(

Board footer