One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-29 17:45:44

Pronghorn

Town Teacher

It felt good to be Ms. Teacher.   

I was just in a decent size town and realized many of the children were wondering around dying next to food on the farm.  So I decided to become town teacher. I asked, "New? Want to learn how to contribute? Farming lessons starting soon. Smithing/Forging and hunting lessons too. Don't miss out this is your chance."  Five children started following me around as I gave out tips and showed them where to find seeds, how to plant, how to wait for carrots to become seeds, where to stand to conserve food meter, how to make home markers etc.

(Tip: Take my advice. This is where I messed up. Make sure the children have brought a snack with them to school...) 

Saw the idea here by Portager.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1837

I tried it and it worked out.

But I think it worked out because
1.) The new players were willing to listen and learn
2.) Other villagers respected the profession and didn't feel like I was unproductive
3.) The village was well off enough to spare me for a while so that I could teach all over the place
4.) When the town was in need of help I taught at my own station area - farming

-
Try it if you can. Its rewarding.

Last edited by Pronghorn (2018-05-29 18:00:02)

Please be kind.

#2 2018-05-29 18:00:17

Aurora Aurora

Re: Town Teacher

Wait were you the woman with the kid named Cloud? Or was that another teacher lady?

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2018-05-29 18:09:16

Alleria

I assume you mean carrot farming? 5 carrots produces enough calories for 2-4 people, when used for making mutton pies. You shouldn't eat carrots, unless they're in a pie (which you should definitely make for the young and elderly - don't give me any bullshit about dough being expensive, 1 water is fuckall, and getting rid of threshed wheat is awesome). You should teach something difficult to learn and that's significantly more useful like being a shepherd, miller, potter, or composter - which are all in-demand skills atm. Enough people know how to bake and smith, so don't bother unless asked.

We need more shepherds if want advanced civilisations. Carrot farming causes civilisation stagnation.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-05-29 18:10:33)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#4 2018-05-29 18:10:05

Pronghorn

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Wait were you the woman with the kid named Cloud? Or was that another teacher lady?

That was another teacher lady.

I hope Cloud's mother was a good teacher.

Did she make all the kids want to grow up and be somebody productive?
Or was she the reason spit balls were invented? tongue

Please be kind.

#5 2018-05-29 18:18:52

Aurora Aurora

Pronghorn wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

That was another teacher lady.

I hope Cloud's mother was a good teacher.

Did she make all the kids want to grow up and be somebody productive?
Or was she the reason spit balls were invented? tongue

She just kept going around teaching her son how to berry farm while competely ignoring my stalkers murderous rampages to win my love.

She later got murdered by my stalker and her son died because he had no idea how to feed himself.

#6 2018-05-29 18:19:54

Pronghorn

Alleria wrote:

I assume you mean carrot farming? 5 carrots produces enough calories for 2-4 people, when used for making mutton pies. You shouldn't eat carrots, unless they're in a pie..... You should teach something difficult to learn and that's significantly more useful like being a shepherd, miller, potter, or composter - which are all in-demand skills atm. Enough people know how to bake and smith, so don't bother unless asked.

We need more shepherds if want advanced civilisations. Carrot farming causes civilisation stagnation.

Yes....this is what was asked. Many children were wondering around saying they'd like to help on the farm one day
or something. But they were dying while standing in one spot under their mothers not knowing what to do. Their mothers
were not answering them and were more concerned with their station jobs once the child was 3.

So I taught what they asked and also what I think was good for them to know if they become an Eve. Eventually they asked to be taught about other things too.

We did not have sheep and it was not important at the time like milkweed, carrots, pies and smithing topics were in our particular desert town.
I hope they learn more advance lessons in time by someone else or me in another spawn.

Thank you.

Please be kind.

#7 2018-05-29 18:22:05

Pronghorn

Aurora Aurora wrote:

She just kept going around teaching her son how to berry farm while competely ignoring my stalkers murderous rampages to win my love.

She later got murdered by my stalker and her son died because he had no idea how to feed himself.

Spit balls it is then lol:)

But gee Aurora you have some interesting runs. Thumbs up

Please be kind.

#8 2018-05-29 18:41:33

Crow

Pronghorn wrote:

(Tip: Take my advice. This is where I messed up. Make sure the children have brought a snack with them to school...)

I've made that mistake. I told a daughter I'd teach her baking after she'd spent some time on the farm until her food meter was big enough. Went and got her to follow me to the oven and before I even explained about threshing wheat she dropped dead.

#9 2018-05-29 19:29:00

Aurora Aurora

Pronghorn wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

Yeah that was an odd life indeed. He kept following my suicidal ass saying "I murder everythign for you." Then he killed like 7 people til I begged him to stop. This happened twice. I ended up killing him because he killed the last fertile woman alive.

#10 2018-05-29 20:26:18

Turnipseed

Crow wrote:
Pronghorn wrote:

I've made that mistake. I told a daughter I'd teach her baking after she'd spent some time on the farm until her food meter was big enough. Went and got her to follow me to the oven and before I even explained about threshing wheat she dropped dead.

Been there before...

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#11 2018-05-29 21:37:12

Sibiohan

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Yeah that was an odd life indeed. He kept following my suicidal ass saying "I murder everythign for you." Then he killed like 7 people til I begged him to stop. This happened twice. I ended up killing him because he killed the last fertile woman alive.

I was one of the women he murdered! I don’t think I was the last fertile though.

On topic: I think a town teacher, where a person can be spared, is really important. I’ve seen a couple of threads where people are asking how to play/complaining about not being able to learn and I think we all need to be a bit nicer to new people (I am pretty new so this is self serving tongue)

#12 2018-05-29 22:52:30

YAHG

Aurora Aurora wrote:
Pronghorn wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

That was you! Porta killed most of that village. I was working on a bow but I starved sad.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#13 2018-05-30 01:25:26

Portager

Nice to see some training schools popping up, its a cool idea really. Sadly, I haven't been spawning into any established camps my last few games, or I would try this.

#14 2018-05-30 02:25:43

pein

Pronghorn wrote:
Alleria wrote:

I assume you mean carrot farming? 5 carrots produces enough calories for 2-4 people, when used for making mutton pies. You shouldn't eat carrots, unless they're in a pie..... You should teach something difficult to learn and that's significantly more useful like being a shepherd, miller, potter, or composter - which are all in-demand skills atm. Enough people know how to bake and smith, so don't bother unless asked.

We did not have sheep and it was not important at the time like milkweed, carrots, pies and smithing topics were in our particular desert town.
I hope they learn more advance lessons in time by someone else or me in another spawn.

Thank you.

How tf is not important when milkweed and pies should only come after that ? Smithing is not easy do. I spent a few lone life's just to practice it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2018-05-30 04:21:24

sc0rp

Alleria wrote:

sheeps = knifes
knifes + village = nothing

I wish for it to be a joke. But it's too true ATM.

#16 2018-05-30 04:25:12

YAHG

sc0rp wrote:
Alleria wrote:

sheeps = knifes

You can also craft nothing from well + baby <3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#17 2018-05-30 04:27:23

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:
sc0rp wrote:
Alleria wrote:

sheeps = knifes

Used to be.  Fortunately not true anymore.

#18 2018-05-30 04:29:42

YAHG

sc0rp wrote:
YAHG wrote:
sc0rp wrote:

sheeps = knifes

Used to be.  Fortunately not true anymore.

Damn.. wells are useless now..

We are gonna be drowning in babies

#19 2018-05-30 04:37:31

Alleria

Knives + village = safe, polite, thriving town

#20 2018-05-30 05:14:30

sc0rp

Alleria wrote:

Knives + village = safe, polite, thriving town

Haven't seen one in the last week or so, but that may be more due to decay and milkweed nerfs.  Even before though it was really fragile - one accidental starving away from nothing.

I got passed down "family knifes" a couple of times.  Once I accidentally starved shortly before I wanted to pass it down (it really sucks that starving chimes are no longer play when you are old).  Effect I've seen in lineage: immediate mass murder.  Another time I've been extra careful.  Passed them down successfully (to smith - he can make one anyway, and to shepherd).  In lineage I've seen one of them accidentally starving.  Enough to say that lineage didn't last even two generations after that (rampant murder). So its really fragile when a bit of lag can kill the whole village.

Next case: I got spawned into deserted town.  Run around, hide all knifes, bows and arrows.  Moved farm from middle of desert to border, made sure that 2-3 people run composting, rabbits are hunted, pies baken, decaying tools remade by smith.  Effect: 9 generations.

Another spawn, nearly identical deserted town.  Did everything even better, except one thing - I haven't manage to find knifes. Effect: mass murder between 2nd/3rd generation.

#21 2018-05-30 05:54:22

Lily

Can't be afraid of weapons. You need to have a bow to get sheep which are critical to long term survival now, and once you have sheep you might as well have a knife to get their meat. You also need to go out and murder all the wolves and snakes around the village, otherwise people will continually disappear at random. Also with milkweed being harder to get, it is a huge waste to make a bow and arrows and then just hide them never to be used again. They should be kept some where for bear protection and if you got a bow around you should have other weapons around too.

Having a ton of weapons around isn't really that safe but it is a lot better than only one person having a weapon and that person being a murderer. The best city defense is just having a lot of people armed and then ganking anyone who steps out of line. You probably get more deaths than other cities, but will have less city wipes.

Which goes back to the main topic here. Often times people feel like they have to take care of everything themselves, but really you can't do it all yourself. You have to rely on others. Some times that means giving them weapons and hoping they use it for the city and not to kill people, and some times it means teaching them what to do.

#22 2018-05-30 06:58:16

Alleria

Lily wrote:

Can't be afraid of weapons. You need to have a bow to get sheep which are critical to long term survival now, and once you have sheep you might as well have a knife to get their meat.

Also need to kill a goose with a bow if you ever want to have carts.

I think everyone who's anti-knife are American liberals. The most successful civilisations are those with knives, fact. The longest lasting public settlement had over 15 knives (~70 or so gens). Sure, there were massacres, but that was typically when there were too many people and community distrust was high - like in real life. If you treat your fellow man well, he will reciprocate. Knives aren't the problem.

#23 2018-05-30 07:05:16

YAHG

You have to have enough knives for people to put down murderers when they show up.

#24 2018-05-30 07:09:14

Stankysteve

Alleria wrote:

Carrot farming causes civilization stagnation.

Quoted for emphasis. One thing I often tell a screen full of people in developing camps is, "We need (insert every profession) except carrot farmers". Don't forget to mention milkweed farmers, because now that's a regular thing at every stage of society that even some old players didn't get the memo on. Don't overestimate how many people know how to bake and smith either. I've owned the game since March and have played productively, but only recently learned to smith because of wanting to learn it organically in game through a student experience.

-Without milkweed farmers we can't make basic tools or advanced structures like boxes, buckets (for deep wells and iron mines), herding animals becomes difficult without rope.

-Without wheat farmers pie production ceases and we don't have straw needed for compost

-Without berry farmers (AND WITH PEOPLE EATING FROM FULL DOMESTIC BERRY BUSHES, STOP IT DON'T DO THAT. EAT FROM PARTIAL ONES AND REWATER THEM AFTER!) another ingredient for composting is lost, and domesticated animals can't be fed, to reproduce and poop.

-Without herded tended animals we can't make compost with sheep poop and lose a valuable meat source as well as a good source of clothing.

-Without compost we lose the ability to milkweed farm, berry farm, wheat farm, tend animals, and from that, the ability to make any more advanced tools or structures of society that need to be replenished. Then all the ingredients to civilization begin to crumble while people huddle around the carrot farm - filling the entire screen with single carrot tiles,  letting crops go to seed because there's nowhere to put the carrots, causing precious needed soil to be lost.

These can be the most frustrating towns to play in and try to organize. I try to avoid because all of this is way to much to explain to multiple people who just started playing, even if they're all willing and able to listen by some miraculous stretch. Believe me, I want to, and try. New players, please expose yourself to new things as much as possible and get out of the carrot farm ASAP - but don't let all the crops go to seed. Harvest it and get other people to help. Don't be afraid to leave crops dry if there's too damn many. Time is a resource and when new players nonstop water and harvest crops till entire screens are full, and then water more crops it becomes a waste of everyone's time to make sure the carrots get picked and soil isn't wasted by them turning to seeds through neglect. Especially in societies that have pies and clothing, and are far beyond the barbarism that is eating carrots and foraged goods. You must evolve.

Last edited by Stankysteve (2018-05-30 07:53:44)

#25 2018-05-30 15:36:46

Pronghorn

This thread is full of good advice.
I feel like I will be a better teacher next time I try this.

Please be kind.

Board footer