One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-24 20:17:43

Vescator

Babies

There is just one eve online.
But that eve just doesn't know that she has to feed me.
So I can't do any thing in the game.
Could you add a maximum number of babies an eve is aloud to have.
This would eventually allow me to spawn as an eve.
This would be more realistic and it means that i don't have to depend on a single person.
It is really annoying because I just can't play the game because of another person

Or you could just add a button "spawn as eve".

Last edited by Vescator (2017-06-24 20:41:57)

#2 2017-06-24 21:24:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Babies

Yeah, gotta deal with this somehow!

#3 2017-06-25 13:12:17

Hippasus

Yeah I just killed a lot of babies! At the moment there is no real indication that you're feeding the babies when you pick them up. It just looks like, well, you're picking them up. Perhaps some better feedback would at least reduce the problem.

Or perhaps you could make it so that new players won't have babies until they themselves have been raised at least once to self feeding age. Then at least they probably have some idea about parenting before they try and start their own family. I mean, that's how I figured it out.

#4 2017-06-25 16:18:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, the problem is, how to bootstrap that?  You're talking about a "green Eve," but she is supposed to be the mother for everyone.

I do want "being a baby" to be a core part of almost everyone's experience with the game.

Also, this problem will go away once the population grows a bit.  Almost no one will be Eve, in the grand scheme of things.

#5 2017-06-25 18:08:17

Vescator

You could add a button spawn as eve but you could only use it when the population is below 5. Otherwise the button will stay hidden.

#6 2017-06-25 20:42:47

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, probably should just track bad motherhood somehow.  Like, if she never picked the babies up or fed them, and three in a row die, a new Eve should spawn instead of giving her more babies.

#7 2018-05-24 10:58:24

Aurora Aurora

I felt like bumping this so I did

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#8 2018-05-24 21:44:25

Glassius

I think, spawn option would benefit this game greatly.
1. Choose if spawn as adult. If so, one hunger tile less.
2. Choose spawn sex. If so, one huger tile less.
3. Choose location: wild Eve or civilization. Little hard to code (maybe check for spawns characters presence of other players?). One hunger less if any option choosed.
4. In game option. Allow flirting chat to have greater chance of kids. Lets say one fertile woman, many mans in tribe, waiting for kid. Increase this by saying to characters close "I love you x" "I love you y", "I love you too". Or first "I love you", "Love", "Darling". Flirt option after touching somebody else (interaction left mouse). Random babies still possible, but longer term games would save girls and at least one man.

You are still drawing players to your idea. You can swap one hunger less to one hunger more for different options. There is still a lot of place. Currently, determined players are killing their babies avatars in order to get proper sex and location. Don't waste time of suicide babies and their parrents.

Last edited by Glassius (2018-05-24 21:51:15)

#9 2018-05-24 22:15:35

BlueRock

Glassius wrote:

3. Choose location: wild Eve or civilization. Little hard to code (maybe check for spawns characters presence of other players?). One hunger less if any option choosed.
4. In game option. Allow flirting chat to have greater chance of kids. Lets say one fertile woman, many mans in tribe, waiting for kid. Increase this by saying to characters close "I love you x" "I love you y", "I love you too". Or first "I love you", "Love", "Darling". Flirt option after touching somebody else (interaction left mouse). Random babies still possible, but longer term games would save girls and at least one man.

Just one hunger less? Sorry but that's not really a cost, nor should you be able to choose sex or location. I could maybe see being born as an Eve or Baby, like a 'Start a Lineage' vs 'Join Lineage' type ordeal, but that's about the only idea I could see working from the list. Also, as for 'flirting', phrases like 'I love you' aren't exclusive to lovers, and the words 'love' and 'darling' both make up casual speech patterns still in some regions. Examples: "Howdy darling, how're y'all doing?", "Cheers love.", "I love you, [Insert Sibling Name Here]."

#10 2018-05-24 22:34:36

Glassius

The idea here is to save time. Some players just want to try out a certain role in game and are forced to kill themselves right after spawn, if situation does not match them.

However, it should come at cost, so current ingame mechanics should still be favorable.

Also, in real life when you expect a baby, you are usually helping it with your mate's help. Currently this game does not allow it to. And there are no father-kid relationships. This is drawing drama, immersion fun away from this game. I know some people with missing dad syndrome. Every time I play this game I remember their sorrow.

Your points about "breed chat" are viable, maybe something straightforward, like "Lets have a baby x" is better. But you did not reasoned less options for spawning.

Last edited by Glassius (2018-05-24 22:37:43)

#11 2018-05-25 00:15:16

Alleria

BlueRock wrote:
Glassius wrote:

Just one hunger less? Sorry but that's not really a cost, nor should you be able to choose sex or location. I could maybe see being born as an Eve or Baby, like a 'Start a Lineage' vs 'Join Lineage' type ordeal, but that's about the only idea I could see working from the list. Also, as for 'flirting', phrases like 'I love you' aren't exclusive to lovers, and the words 'love' and 'darling' both make up casual speech patterns still in some regions. Examples: "Howdy darling, how're y'all doing?", "Cheers love.", "I love you, [Insert Sibling Name Here]."

This. If you don't tell your family that you love them on the daily then you're doing it wrong. Also, I've had dads and been a dad in the game before. I've cared solely for my children too, even though it was very inefficient (because I couldn't breastfeed). I've had many games where people would bring food to the nursery - it takes a village to raise a baby :3

Last edited by Alleria (2018-05-25 00:17:47)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#12 2018-05-25 03:54:24

YAHG

Alleria wrote:
BlueRock wrote:
Glassius wrote:

This. If you don't tell your family that you love them on the daily then you're doing it wrong. Also, I've had dads and been a dad in the game before. I've cared solely for my children too, even though it was very inefficient (because I couldn't breastfeed). I've had many games where people would bring food to the nursery - it takes a village to raise a baby :3

Aye I try to remember to tell them Mommy loves them and teach them how to do hugs.

I have yet to have a Mom do hugs to me when I am babi so I guess it isn't catching on well sad

Dem babis too cute to not love em up? Look at their dopey lil faces!

That one with the tounge out <3 I just imagine it drooling all over itself and spitting up...

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#13 2018-05-25 10:27:52

pein

too many or not enough

i would like to block grnamothers to have more babies, zero age aunts suck or feeding own sister
babies should spawn to youngest womans, should be an option if you dont want babies, like eating a plant, or if you want one other plant

also my idea about game definign a city
if poopulation is lower than 8 should be more common, after than rarer, we should pass on stuff, not taken apart by locust invasion, game is mroe fun with small effective families

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-05-25 14:12:58

Aname

or when ur an eve and u only get boys like wtf.

or u get no kids bcuz of lineage ban lmao i saw someone who legit died of old age and didnt got any kids. lineage died bcuz of that.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

Board footer