One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-13 13:59:01

The_Llamacorn

A little idea for marriage

I haven't really thought through all of this but I was thinking, maybe you could make two wedding rings. Then one person would say "Will you marry me [Name]?" or "Marry me [Name]" and the other person has to stand next to the other person and say (within some time limit) "I will marry you [Name]" or "I will marry [Name]". The only effect this would have would be that the woman would be more likely to have kids and the man would be listed as their father. Gay marriage would work too only that childbirth-rate wouldn't increase and the men (obviously) can't have kids.
Now, the question is, would you be able to marry your relatives? This game is pretty realistic and incest was a big concern at the time the game is set (and it still is). So would incest matter? You could just say "Incest is wincest" and go with it but you could also perhaps implement something new that makes it easier for villages to communicate with each other. But if you go with incest instead, this could be an important game mechanic. Imagine that you're in a pretty good village, but then all the women start to get old and die. Suddenly there's only one fertile woman left and she's almost old. Then a marriage would be very useful since the chance of getting a kid (and therefore a girl) would increase! I don't know if this is something Jason is planning on implementing ever but I'm just throwing it out there for you. If you've got any feedback or any other ideas of how it would be done, let me know.

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#2 2018-05-13 19:48:11

pein

Re: A little idea for marriage

incest is already implemented, tats why all the kids are retarded xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-05-13 20:16:59

karltown

The_Llamacorn wrote:

I haven't really thought through all of this but I was thinking, maybe you could make two wedding rings. Then one person would say "Will you marry me [Name]?" or "Marry me [Name]" and the other person has to stand next to the other person and say (within some time limit) "I will marry you [Name]" or "I will marry [Name]".

You could also make gold wedding rings. (gold ingot plus chisel plus mallet = split gold ingot, plus smith hammer = two gold ring blanks) There could be wolf ring, carrot ring and leaf ring. It would be harder to get married if it were necessary for marriage, so I'm not suggesting that, but would be cool for role-playing.

Also, if you marry someone they join the family of either the male (males would be more useful in family lines) or whoever initiates the question. They gain the last name of the family they are born into, or if they already have a last name the last names are conjoined.

(Example: Jon Jones pops the question to Aria Able. In either situation this makes her part of Jon's family line. She becomes Aria Able-Jones. Her children appear in the Jones family tree. There is a link --possibly-- that symbolizes marriage on the tree.)

Last edited by karltown (2018-05-13 20:18:49)

Every time time you pick a seed carrot a penguin dies.

#4 2018-05-13 21:53:01

Avalikia

I actually really like this idea!

Jason has said before that he doesn't like the idea of a woman's fertility being increased simply because men are around because that could have unfortunate implications - what if she doesn't want to have kids, and what if a guy chases her around to stay close to her so that she does anyways?  But if both players agree that they want to be married - and I assume that there would also be a divorce mechanic that either player could activate if they wanted to - then that means the question of consent has been addressed and it would make sense that it would increase fertility in a hetero couple.

Also, I would love it if there were fathers in the game!

The question of incest is a sticky subject, though.  Because for the vast majority of human history, until just a couple hundred years ago, it wasn't nearly as taboo as it is now.  So in that sense it would be realistic for everyone to be able to marry anyone that they want.  Though the part of me that knows way too much about biology would argue that if you marry your sibling, you should actually get a decrease to fertility.  Marrying your second cousin would be fine.

Actually, I saw a recent study that showed that it's perfectly fine genetically if you marry your first cousin as long as your kids don't do the same.  It's when you marry someone even genetically closer than that (especially if your ancestors did the same) that there you get serious problems.  But I know that the law in most places is usually that you can't marry your first cousin.

#5 2018-05-13 21:57:20

pein

well the ring could be made from iron, two actually , and without wearing wouldnt function
only it needs to be wearable, and to get destroyed if someone dies in it, also takign off destroys it? maybe just you cant take off so its a final thing

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-05-14 05:10:32

Aurora Aurora

I really like this idea! But how would the wedding rings look? The townies don’t really have fingers.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#7 2018-05-14 05:23:42

pein

stick arms xD mb wedding belt with some unique combinations
a recipe could be one iron ingot combined with something like seed or leafs, pine needles

#8 2018-05-14 05:37:11

Avalikia

It should be a wedding anklet.  With a chain attached, for decoration.  And maybe a large, heavy ball on the end of the chain.

#9 2018-05-14 13:47:41

Aurora Aurora

Avalikia wrote:

It should be a wedding anklet.  With a chain attached, for decoration.  And maybe a large, heavy ball on the end of the chain.

Love it! Now I can marry my brother AND constantly remind him of the horrible mistake he made when he agreed to do so

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#10 2018-05-14 13:53:46

pein

Avalikia wrote:

that would look very stylish, this would also set up the way for playing as a horse and having 4 wives

Last edited by pein (2018-05-14 13:54:05)

Board footer