One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-13 01:22:12

Trick

New Player Feedback

Hello!

I purchased this game less than 24 hours ago, and have put in quite a bit of gameplay time in already.

After seeing the game pop-up in a few places (particularly Youtube), it looked super interesting and I thought I'd give it a try.  I wanted to give you some feedback as a brand-new player, as I think it is in the first few days of gameplay that users decide if they are really into it or not.

So...

As a new player, I have found this game to be *extremely* difficult and not as enjoyable as I had hoped.  In fact, from what I've read on the forums, old players also find the game difficult.  It seems, from what I have been reading, that the developer of the game (Jason) has been worried about 'bored players', and has therefore instituted a bunch of barriers to make it harder to progress/survive in the game.  Unfortunately, the major downfall to this is that it seems nearly impossible for new players to figure out how to survive/thrive, and elder players are stretched too thin to actually teach or guide.  Personally, I think the developer's focus may be misguided, but I am neither a developer nor a long-time player... so what do I know?  That said, a game is supposed to be fun... not stressful and hard.  There needs to be a balance of challenge and enjoyment, IMO.

Anyway, the vast majority of my experiences so far have been me getting spawned into the middle of nowhere, often by myself as an 'Eve' or as a baby to an 'Eve' (who often lets me die, which I understand because it's fricken hard to have a baby).  Right out of the gate, I am not enjoying this. I crave the social aspect of the game, so being plopped into the game by myself has been incredibly frustrating.  I can't learn anything from anyone, I don't have the breathing room to explore/practice/experiment with the environment (because I am literally just running around trying to find berries or onions to stay alive), and I know that I am not a strong enough player to keep a baby and myself alive while learning... I just have to hope that I stay alive long enough, and my baby sticks around and knows what they are doing.  Out of probably hundreds of respawns, this has happened maybe twice.

The times I have actually enjoyed the game are when I am spawned into a thriving community.  I am able to wander around and learn what's going on, and sometimes someone is able to spare time to tell me something useful.  I also love the chance to communicate with others, roleplay the family dynamics, and see the drama of little villages play out.  Out of the many hours I have played, this has really only happened once.  I was a part of some smaller communities that were ok, but not as fun.

The game seems like a lot of work for a new player.  You have to find a place to live, find the things you need, figure out how to do it all.  Then you inevitably die and have to restart from scratch.  Alone.  With nothing.  It's just annoying. I crave the social gameplay so badly.  I want to spawn into pre-existing families.  I want to be part of a community.  I want to be taught by the elders.  And I do not want to be so stressed about grinding and surviving that it's impossible to enjoy the social aspect.

Maybe this is happening because I am starting at a time when the game is at the beginning of a lifecycle or something, and maybe there aren't communities for me to spawn into.  However, from what I gathered from Jason's posts, this is by design.  He has intentionally made it so that we spawn 7000 tiles away from the last place, and that we aren't "supposed to stumble upon old towns".

Despite my gripes, the times I was spawned into pre-existing villages have been awesome and I *really* enjoyed the game.  Everytime I respawn, I hope to get that experience again.  Perhaps something can be done so that players can choose to spawn as Eve?  Or maybe have it so that you spawn as Eve or a baby of Eve only a certain number of times in a row?

#2 2018-05-13 04:15:21

Feldspar

Re: New Player Feedback

I like your suggestion of only spawning as Eve/Eves baby only a certain number of times as a row- I too get sick of early game grinds every run through-just this once i want to see an actual sheep pen haha!

As for a suggestion for a new player learning the ropes; one thing I did which was quite fun and low stress, was look up the recipe for making early game tools and then set myself to spawn in a server with no other people in it. As a lone adult who didn't have to think of other players it was quite a relaxing run through/way to teach myself some early game survival techniques without the pressure of keeping a family alive. As an extra bonus, the servers with no players usually have plenty of food in them so you don't have to worry about actually getting a farm going properly while you teach yourself how to make a fire for the first time. Sure it was a little lonely, but I felt like it made me a better player when I went back to the main server smile

just here putting off doing my assignments

#3 2018-05-13 05:38:48

Go! Bwah!

Trick wrote:

Maybe this is happening because I am starting at a time when the game is at the beginning of a lifecycle or something, and maybe there aren't communities for me to spawn into.  However, from what I gathered from Jason's posts, this is by design.  He has intentionally made it so that we spawn 7000 tiles away from the last place, and that we aren't "supposed to stumble upon old towns".

Right.  I started playing this game about a week after it came out, and the general direction since has been toward increased grindiness.  Several people have suggested that the game be softened and more role-playing opportunities be provided through easy fun objects and more supported gameplay styles, but that's not really what we've gotten (mushrooms being a rare exception, and do they even exist anymore??), so don't hold your breath.

At this point I think the question is less, "is this game fun for any length of time?" and more, "is this game unique enough to merit the $20 before you get fed up with it?"  It was for me, maybe it will be for you.

And maybe when the game has more content it will be worth the grind, although with that level of grind you could probably learn to decently play an instrument or paint or speak another language, so I would still recommend just paying the $20 for the experience and then getting fed up and going elsewhere smile

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#4 2018-05-13 07:43:13

Lexyvil

I agree with what you say. Right now the game seems to be less about expanding and more about eating, which is more of a chore than fun. It's only been like that for a little while though. Its current state is more torturous than how it used to be almost two months ago when I first played, to where I can't socialize or roleplay with people nor have time to teach my kids as much as I used to. I hope, as more content gets added, that the game becomes how it used to be. Back then, almost every time you were born, you could always see people running around town doing something productive without worrying too much.

Lately, we spawn as Eves a lot (or a second or third generation child). It used to occur about one fifth of a time back when surviving was easier.

The game is super fun when it is stable: It becomes one of the best social experiences one can have in an online game. It may not be the case right now since it's constantly being reworked and balanced, but I'm sure if we're patient enough, it'll be in a more enjoyable state again. We just have to keep in mind that the game is still quite new and being reworked a lot (it's an experiment in itself), and the players are evolving alongside the constant changes that are being made.

Jason is busy alternating between balancing the game and adding content, but there will come a time when he will focus more on balancing, and that will lead the game more towards a state where he and the players are equally satisfied with the result.

Last edited by Lexyvil (2018-05-13 18:11:59)

#5 2018-05-13 07:47:03

Trick

Feldspar wrote:

I like your suggestion of only spawning as Eve/Eves baby only a certain number of times as a row- I too get sick of early game grinds every run through-just this once i want to see an actual sheep pen haha!

As for a suggestion for a new player learning the ropes; one thing I did which was quite fun and low stress, was look up the recipe for making early game tools and then set myself to spawn in a server with no other people in it. As a lone adult who didn't have to think of other players it was quite a relaxing run through/way to teach myself some early game survival techniques without the pressure of keeping a family alive. As an extra bonus, the servers with no players usually have plenty of food in them so you don't have to worry about actually getting a farm going properly while you teach yourself how to make a fire for the first time. Sure it was a little lonely, but I felt like it made me a better player when I went back to the main server smile

How do I change servers?

Maybe I am just on an empty server?

#6 2018-05-13 07:51:02

Lily

Here is a few tips that will really help you out when running around on your own.

1. A stone plus big rock gets you a sharp stone. Sharp stones can dig up wild carrots, and burdock(big green leafy things), rest of the stuff can just be picked. So the food you can find in the wilds are wild carrots, burdock, onions, cactus fruit and berries.

2. A sharp rock can also be used on tula to make reeds, and two reeds make a basket. Things are a lot easier with a basket since it carries three things. I suggest one of those things being extra food, so you have some handy at all times.

3. You should learn how to make fire. It requires combining milkweed to make string so you can make the tools for it. A hatchet for kindling, and a fire bow drill are what you need.

If you keep those things in mind, you will be okay. I rarely die out in the wilds, outside the occasional snake bite or something. Once you get better at the game it isn't that hard to survive, though it is difficult to save everyone else. You can get the start of a town in a single generation, and even starting alone you can die with a big family and a small town built up from nothing.

#7 2018-05-13 08:23:49

TrustyWay

Yeah I agree too, we haven't reach 100 players on servers since few days now... new players can't get in, they play once and never replay. Did they really play one hour one life like they were supposed to be or they were just lost, I think they were lost more than enjoying being take care of during one hour and doing nothing. We are losing enthusiasm

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-13 08:24:13)

#8 2018-05-13 08:40:24

Avalikia

Hey Trick!  Welcome to the game and I'm sorry that it's been rough for you to get started!

The learning curve is more than a bit brutal - though I actually like a lot of the recent changes that make the game more difficult, because once I got the hang of it I found it a bit too easy.  But I count myself lucky to have gotten into the game before the changes so that I could learn everything before it got hard.  I think that this game could really use a tutorial or something, but I doubt that's feasible for Jason to create while he still has so much more content to add.

But I really like this game and especially like to see new people get into it, so I wrote this guide.  It's kind of different from a lot of the other guides floating around because I focused on how to play as opposed to how to craft, because those are different things.

#9 2018-05-13 09:20:46

JonySky
Website

I see the game very balanced, and the learning curve is perfect, but I think that the need to eat continuously must be improved, this dilutes the possibility of relating or creating progression in civilization

#10 2018-05-14 00:03:27

pein

joined server 2 and people didnt know if they are on two, just they didnt had babies
my mom was so cute, she holding me most of the time, telling that dont know what else to do other than holding the buby
asked if she is new, she was

old lady was running around with a bow, right after i got the crown from granny
so i stabbed her, then guy attacking me with a bow, juggling out then stabbing him too, then explained myself to old sheperd.
no one came so i became old. planting some of each, berry, wheat, milkweed and made some new tools, remade old ones, painted myself full blue and the rest of the wool clothes i found

my momma only asked for a flint chip once, but later she died near farm somehow, she was the only one without a backpack out of 7? people. other guy suicided, town was still nice

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2018-05-14 03:46:10

Siolfor the Jackal

A lot of your stories, pein involve you killing people... interesting...

Anyway, yeah, OP. The game can be very daunting and intimidating at first. It can be really frustrating when no one has the time to teach you things but everyone expects you to know anyway. I too thought the point of the game was teaching other players, but most people are too concerned with their precious projects and activities. I have even had some players just tell me to look at the wiki, but where is the fun in that...
I try my best to teach my kids things when I'm an Eve, but usually we need to be constantly working to make sure there is food. My problem is I don't usually know what to start with. Baskets are good, and teaching kids to farm makes things easier for everyone, but you need so many other things. My proudest moment was teaching my kid how to make a fire from scratch and then seeing them do it much later with no real problems. But I was lucky then, this was when things were a bit easier and I wasn't have a baby every minute. So I didn't feel as rushed and constantly starved.

#12 2018-05-14 05:18:52

pein

i feel paranoid, but mostly im right, im the most geared usually, involving 3 blades before they fck up iron and we end up without sheer tool but 5 hoes, they dont stash their weapons in city i can assume they gonna kill me, so i act first. especially with a stupid crown on my head and a lady having bow when we got file, goose, and nothing to hunt nearby, even if not, she was using a rope which would of been more useful for a cart. too many times people steal every single thing i put down, ignoring advice more than once, talking back, etc.

just fcking put the arrow in the backpack, and tell your intentions, if you run around with a loaded bow needs 1 click, dont ask me to trust you

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2018-05-14 09:55:29

breezeknight

@Trick

few suggestions for new players to enjoy the game a little more

1. play as Eve to experience the things needed to survive
abandon all your babies until you've learned to survive 3 times to 60
io to learn how to survive you should consider to study few basic things outside the game
https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Crafting
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1119
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1009
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=220

if you prefer to be taught in game by other players then you should prepare yourself to be very patient, most of the players just won't do it
if you play this way it will be a very slow progress

2. play as male baby in a rather smallish to middle settlement, beginner settlements require quick handling of things, indeed Eves have no time left to teach, big settlements are often either too scattered or too confusing

3. be prepared for being murdered, io to avoid it - run away

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-05-14 10:04:02)

#14 2018-05-14 21:22:20

TrustyWay

Trick, you can join discord if you have questions or want to talk about the game.

If one time you are an eve, try nomadic life.
Here are two guids I made : https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1587

#15 2018-05-14 22:50:59

YAHG

Trick wrote:

Hello!

I purchased this game less than 24 hours ago, and have put in quite a bit of gameplay time in already.

After seeing the game pop-up in a few places (particularly Youtube), it looked super interesting and I thought I'd give it a try.  I wanted to give you some feedback as a brand-new player, as I think it is in the first few days of gameplay that users decide if they are really into it or not.

So...

As a new player, I have found this game to be *extremely* difficult and not as enjoyable as I had hoped.  In fact, from what I've read on the forums, old players also find the game difficult.  It seems, from what I have been reading, that the developer of the game (Jason) has been worried about 'bored players', and has therefore instituted a bunch of barriers to make it harder to progress/survive in the game.  Unfortunately, the major downfall to this is that it seems nearly impossible for new players to figure out how to survive/thrive, and elder players are stretched too thin to actually teach or guide.  Personally, I think the developer's focus may be misguided, but I am neither a developer nor a long-time player... so what do I know?  That said, a game is supposed to be fun... not stressful and hard.  There needs to be a balance of challenge and enjoyment, IMO.

Anyway, the vast majority of my experiences so far have been me getting spawned into the middle of nowhere, often by myself as an 'Eve' or as a baby to an 'Eve' (who often lets me die, which I understand because it's fricken hard to have a baby).  Right out of the gate, I am not enjoying this. I crave the social aspect of the game, so being plopped into the game by myself has been incredibly frustrating.  I can't learn anything from anyone, I don't have the breathing room to explore/practice/experiment with the environment (because I am literally just running around trying to find berries or onions to stay alive), and I know that I am not a strong enough player to keep a baby and myself alive while learning... I just have to hope that I stay alive long enough, and my baby sticks around and knows what they are doing.  Out of probably hundreds of respawns, this has happened maybe twice.

The times I have actually enjoyed the game are when I am spawned into a thriving community.  I am able to wander around and learn what's going on, and sometimes someone is able to spare time to tell me something useful.  I also love the chance to communicate with others, roleplay the family dynamics, and see the drama of little villages play out.  Out of the many hours I have played, this has really only happened once.  I was a part of some smaller communities that were ok, but not as fun.

The game seems like a lot of work for a new player.  You have to find a place to live, find the things you need, figure out how to do it all.  Then you inevitably die and have to restart from scratch.  Alone.  With nothing.  It's just annoying. I crave the social gameplay so badly.  I want to spawn into pre-existing families.  I want to be part of a community.  I want to be taught by the elders.  And I do not want to be so stressed about grinding and surviving that it's impossible to enjoy the social aspect.

Despite my gripes, the times I was spawned into pre-existing villages have been awesome and I *really* enjoyed the game.  Everytime I respawn, I hope to get that experience again.  Perhaps something can be done so that players can choose to spawn as Eve?  Or maybe have it so that you spawn as Eve or a baby of Eve only a certain number of times in a row?

At first you will die horribly whenever you spawn in a place that is NOT a thriving village. Then you will be able to help a village stay alive and you will start to live longer and longer as Eve and be able to be helpful. Before you know it you will be a desert shaman seeding your babies all across the lands..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#16 2018-05-15 06:35:15

mikekchar

I'll be honest.  I don't play on the main servers very much at all because I'm literally on the other side of the planet and lag is a pretty big issue.  I'd *like* to play the game, but even when I overcome the lag issue, I feel that quite a large contingent of the existing players don't want new players.  They want to play their own way, using discord and voice chat to organise themselves.  There is a kind of denial of service attack against new players, or players who want to play differently -- kill them.  We could start a war with players taking sides and each side killing the other.  But, of course, that's precisely the game that the denied players *don't* want to play.

This is an effective filter.  There are many other games to play.  I'm interested to see if a balance eventually settles here, but I've been on the internet long enough to guess what the balance will be.  It's a kind of evolution.  As time passes and the denial of service continues, the only players who want to play the game will be the ones who like the game as it is.  That's not necessarily bad, but the game is billed as "a multiplayer survival game of parenting and civilization building".  I think the game is naturally flowing to one of how to wield power in a world simulator with a thriving meta-game.   Breezeknight's protest is an interesting development, but it's of the same ilk -- it's an effort to disrupt the status quo.  One side kills males.  The other side suicides if female.

I feel that Jason would prefer to design the game so that there is an emergent behaviour that matches his original concept of the game.  I think that's fine, but I also think that he underestimates the power of this filter.  Players (on average) *won't* come back.  As I've said before, people are a non-renewable resource.  Once you use them up, they are gone.  It's easy to believe that there will always be more to replace the ones you lost... but that's just as wrong for people as it is for any other resource.   The pool diminishes and once a particular culture is dominant, it's basically impossible to unseat it.

#17 2018-05-15 08:03:13

Christoffer
Website

breezeknight wrote:

I feel that this is horrible advice, breezeknight. I get what you mean with it (that the new player should learn everything on his/her own without having to care about anyone else), but it's counter to what the game is about (cooperation, taking care of other's needs, aiming for slow but steady progress). The real skill to learn is how to take care of kids and inexperienced players and still survive. Doesn't matter if it takes longer, because it's more fun for everyone and it's a unique experience in gaming, which is getting lost if people play like you suggest here. Yes, I see that you mean it as a learning phase, but what you would learn from that phase (and what people trying to play as your baby would learn) are not the right things.

mikechar wrote:

There is a kind of denial of service attack against new players, or players who want to play differently -- kill them.

You are putting words on what has been nagging me. It's a sad reality that many of the players who are actually loving (or love/hating) OHOL the most, are also inadvertently taking an active role in stifling the growth of the user base. Not all the time, but often enough. I would very much like to see the user base grow. Kill babies, code words for experienced players, kill inefficient players, ignore teaching... all of these methods are sucking the lifeblood out of the game and user base.
As Master Yoda says: The Dark Side is not stronger, only quicker, easier, more seductive. Power gamers: join the Light Side.

Please don't be offended. You have the right to play how you wish. If you're active on the forum you probably have a vested interest in seeing the game grow though. It's through the new players that can happen, and through your positive attitude towards them. This attitude cannot only show in the forum and Discord, it needs to show in the game itself.

My 2 cents.

#18 2018-05-15 10:00:15

pein

no its actually good idea, but you dont have to abandon anyone, just play alone on different server
jorioms guide was helpful, you need 3 ropes, now even 4 as hoe takes another one, make the tools for fire, make fire, pouch or bowls
and most importantly location, you need a place with desert, edge, best horizontal desert, into swamp, so have some ponds very close, you need access to a green biome, doesnt have to be exactly near it, enough if its a connected green biome and a bit of it sticks into your screen
you need to build your kilns anyway and make backpack, get some iron and make a smithing hammer
all this are possible as eve, even having kids with, not 6-8 but like two
when you can do this alone, you are ready for multiplayer

Last edited by pein (2018-05-15 10:01:02)

#19 2018-05-15 10:39:09

breezeknight

Flintstone wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

I feel that this is horrible advice, breezeknight. I get what you mean with it (that the new player should learn everything on his/her own without having to care about anyone else), but it's counter to what the game is about (cooperation, taking care of other's needs, aiming for slow but steady progress). The real skill to learn is how to take care of kids and inexperienced players and still survive. Doesn't matter if it takes longer, because it's more fun for everyone and it's a unique experience in gaming, which is getting lost if people play like you suggest here. Yes, I see that you mean it as a learning phase, but what you would learn from that phase (and what people trying to play as your baby would learn) are not the right things.

mikechar wrote:

There is a kind of denial of service attack against new players, or players who want to play differently -- kill them.

You are putting words on what has been nagging me. It's a sad reality that many of the players who are actually loving (or love/hating) OHOL the most, are also inadvertently taking an active role in stifling the growth of the user base. Not all the time, but often enough. I would very much like to see the user base grow. Kill babies, code words for experienced players, kill inefficient players, ignore teaching... all of these methods are sucking the lifeblood out of the game and user base.
As Master Yoda says: The Dark Side is not stronger, only quicker, easier, more seductive. Power gamers: join the Light Side.

Please don't be offended. You have the right to play how you wish. If you're active on the forum you probably have a vested interest in seeing the game grow though. It's through the new players that can happen, and through your positive attitude towards them. This attitude cannot only show in the forum and Discord, it needs to show in the game itself.

My 2 cents.

@Flintstone

i suggested to abandon all babies until you've learned the basics & know the value of the things needed, if you don't, then you are a liability to everybody & will probably just die yourself
it's not like experienced players survive every time they play, survival in OHOL depends on many things, not just in game experience
if you don't know few basics to be able to survive yourself, then you can't help nobody else, it's simple

i did not suggested to play on an unpopulated server because it's more elaborate to do
but if you manage, the result will be anyway the same, you won't be nurturing anybody else

& atm you are better off playing rather singleplayer, even if you are playing in a town where others are present
it's sad but that's the current reality, there are not enough players as whole
the community aspect is not set well, there are not enough, if any, in game tools nurturing community, already the necessity to use english language limits the popularity of the game & i think the lack of options against murder is preventing many from playing such a game, because it contradicts the core attractivity of a game about parenting & civilization

& YES
i also dislike that elitist attitude demanding to participate in discord & typing some code letters to signalize that you "know how to play", whatever that means lol
i even often suicide if i am being asked by the mother if "i know how to play" or if "i am new" or if i am confronted with some cryptic code used
it's elitist & it's going against what is intended, some players try to establish something remaining in a game which is built to play with things that wither

& you are absolutely right
this game needs new players & should stay unbiased towards new players, in game there shouldn't be any questions if a player is new or not
people have the right to be new & even act completely stupidly

my suggestions were meant only for those who want to start in the best way possible
in the time as i still played family, was a mother, an Eve & nurtured many babies i didn't ask if the player is new, it's pretty evidend anyway
& if a player wants to know something, then i tell & show, even now as a male,
i am always trying to be constructive & supportive, but i will do it only to the point where my own gameplay is not being disrupted
& that's why the killers in this game piss me way more off than any newbie inability to play
not the newbies are disruptive but those who kill

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-05-15 10:47:46)

#20 2018-05-15 11:21:43

Alleria

The biggest problem(?) with your feedback is that it's based over 24 hours fresh after a server restart. For example, currently you'll be finding you're being born into established villages more frequently. Also, this weekend a large proportion of the good players (a couple of "just bought the game" noobs too) on the game were taking part in a Discord event, instead of playing and teaching on the main server.

I agree very much that the game isn't as social as it should be (and once was) and that this is largely due to the increased difficulty. Currently, only about 20% of players are good enough to survive and reproduce in a difficult area, while only about 10% are able to contribute (give more than they take). I strongly recommend finding your feet for an hour or two and trying to get a place running as an Eve (and learn the recipes) on an unpopulated server. If curious how to do that, pop into Discord. Most things you learn will be taught to you by yourself, but it's easy finding a blacksmith or similar complex role who will happily apprentice you (since best with 2 people). I also recommend having the recipe wiki open and when you're unsure, alt-tab and have a quick look (ideally idling in desert or on fire).

The most valuable advice I can give is to try to learn one thing every life. That can be as small as learning how berries respawn, or how to manage wells (big topic tbh lol).

Edit:

breezeknight wrote:

this game needs new players & should stay unbiased towards new players, in game there shouldn't be any questions if a player is new or not
people have the right to be new & even act completely stupidly=

I strongly disagree. I like to ask my baby their experience level so that I can work out whether they will survive (if I'm Eve or first few generations), or if I can teach them things. If they're new, I'll start with basics, but if they're intermediate, then I'll teach them about berries or wells (something uncommon). The real problem is new players (or people with 20 hours thinking they're intermediate/pro) lying about their skill level. It's not hard to respawn, and why wouldn't you, if you can have a better life?

Last edited by Alleria (2018-05-15 11:32:28)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#21 2018-05-16 00:50:29

Trick

Alleria wrote:

I also recommend having the recipe wiki open and when you're unsure, alt-tab and have a quick look (ideally idling in desert or on fire).

See, I have an issue with this.  Good games, in my experience, don't require new players to go and study manuals to figure things out.  The entry to a game shouldn't require someone to earn a Masters in the game's mechanics in order to be successful.  The learning process should be built into the game itself, and in a game like this, it really should be coming from 'elders' (if we're going to stick to the way things *actually* worked historically).

If the game requires people to do 'work' outside of the game in order to thrive, it won't be inviting to a mass audience.  And that's a serious problem for Jason (assuming he wants to eventually expand his player-base).

Luckily, I am perseverant and as a poor student who probably shouldn't have spent the money on the game, I want to get my money's worth.  So, I am slowly figuring the game out.  But it has been hard and frustrating, and I am not devoting nearly as much time to the game as I have with other games, which says something.  I can imagine myself not wanting to play this game long-term unless there are some significant changes.  The constant grind, and having to re-do all the same things over and over again each time you die/respawn, is just not that fun IMO.

#22 2018-05-16 02:18:31

Valences42

Trick, I am sorry to hear that you've had a bad first experience. 

I wish I could have been your in game parent/family member/friend, preferably in a stable environment where I wasn't forced to run around Not Dying.

Some of the best experiences I've had have been when people took the time to explain to me new updates stuff, or showed me something crazy.  I was baffled on how to make something simple like a basket or a waterskin.  Then I watched someone doing this a few times.

My uncle Bob taught me how to make fire and then immediately died.  I was soo sad!!

It was crazy!

#23 2018-05-22 10:49:47

Trick

Board footer