One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-11 23:52:36

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Family Tree Browser

The biggest change this week is the addition of an online family tree browser, which you can view here:

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … front_page

You can search by your email address or any character name that you can remember, and if you click on faces, you can browse up and down through the generations in the tree.

There are also a few changes to the way that families work.  First of all, the client now displays Big and Little status for your siblings, and also detects the rare case of twins and identical twins for you and your siblings.

Second, babies now inherit the last monument bell that their mother heard before they were born.  This bell will "echo" through the genetic mother-baby connection when the baby is 0.5 years old.  Thus, trans-generational pilgrimages to distant monuments is now possible (journeys that are too long to make in one lifetime).

The way locks are displayed has been improved, with loose locks and keys labeled with A, B, C, etc., so you can keep track of what you're making.  After a lock is installed, however, this label becomes invisible, so an attacker won't be able to know which key to try.  I took this one step further:  The server now doesn't even send the true lock object ID to the client (instead sending the ID for the generic lock), so even someone sniffing the protocol can't get unfair information about a lock.  Trial and error (making all ten keys and trying each one) is still possible, of course.  And if an attacker gets a hold of your key, they will be able to see which key it is.  This is just like real life---take a look at your own keys, and you will see a number stamped on any master keys.  My computer room door has a 43842, because it is a 5-pin lock with those pin lengths.

As you may have noticed, after a server update, all keys and locks revert to a base form.  That is now displayed with a "?" in place of the letter label for clarity.  Everyone who knew which lock was which is dead, and the next generation to discover the village is essentially handed some easy-to-open locks that they can re-key as they see fit.

Unlocked doors can be removed, and milkweed stumps can be removed in the same manner as berry bushes.  Making the letter N no longer eats you knife, and U and C no longer fill your bowl with water.

#2 2018-05-12 06:43:38

breezeknight

Re: Update: Family Tree Browser

thank you for the family tree feature
i would have prefered an in game feature oc but it's still a well needed addition, families start to make sense finally
so Thank You !

i like also one of the minor feature changes with a big impact
the new milkweed stump feature will make for a more interesting gameplay
thank you here too smile

- - -
now still remains the unfair disadvantage of being murdered, no help, no cure, no options for any sort of survival when murdered
so despite family trees i still won't be playing any families while the game is biased in favour of killers, sorry
- - -

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-05-15 05:22:05)

#3 2018-05-12 06:50:50

InSpace

Edit about what I thought was a bug, I guess it adds players to the tree once they're dead maybe

Last edited by InSpace (2018-05-12 07:46:48)

#4 2018-05-12 09:28:49

Lexyvil

Love this feature! It's about time we can see how far the lineages we've been part of goes.

Just to mention, there's one time I saw this while browsing:

http://prntscr.com/jgwg88

The same player is shown twice in Generation 24. The fact they share the same final words and children when I check both characters ensures that it's the same player. Is that a bug?

#5 2018-05-12 16:58:32

Verte

It is so interesting !
I am so excited to be able to have "knews" of the future of my children, I can't stop watching the trees ! The last words of my dear son let me imagine a psychopath is draining the ponds that I just tried to refill minutes ago, causing my death, for I forgot to refill myself in shock discovering such a stupid offspring in a very nice family.
Thank you Ô Jason for offering us so much !

#6 2018-05-12 19:33:29

InSpace

W1r1CjK.jpg

Play the game for 9 minutes, start a family lasting 50 generations +

#7 2018-05-12 20:42:24

bobito2000

The update is great, thank you!

However I seem to have a few lives that are not appearing in the browser. For instance I was an Eve and died of starvation at 23, but there is no trace of this happening. I also had a case where I lived to 40 and never saw my character appear in the browser.

Am I missing something or is there a bug?

#8 2018-05-13 00:32:26

akoopatroop

Absolutely love the family tree. Could it say how people died as well?

#9 2018-05-14 04:30:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Ah, I found the bug....

If your last words contain a ' character, it essentially counts as an SQL injection, breaking the insert query for your life and failing to log you as dead, so you never appear in the family tree.

I will fix this tomorrow!

#10 2018-05-14 10:59:29

jere

If your last words contain a ' character, it essentially counts as an SQL injection, breaking the insert query for your life and failing to log you as dead, so you never appear in the family tree.

*yikes*

#11 2018-05-14 14:36:49

Kinrany

Your name is '; DROP TABLE players; '

#12 2018-05-14 17:43:55

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, well, those other characters are forbidden, so it wasn't a true risk.

I am processing all client-supplied strings with regex's to allow only the characters and format that I want to allow.

Turns out that single quotes are allowed in spoken words, and I just put that in the regex without thinking about it...

Fix is just to surround it with double quotes in the query, as double quotes are not allowed in spoken text.

Also, I was able to go through the log of all the failed queries and re-insert them with a fix-up, so all those "lost lives" are in there now.

#13 2018-05-15 11:11:39

wondible

Is it possible to get a raw data dump for a lineage? I found myself wanting something like the lineage server shortly before you made it, but I was thinking a full graph like something from graphviz; clicking through the different characters to figure out how far you descendants got is kind of awkward.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#14 2018-05-15 20:36:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Not sure about a dump... maybe in the future.

But a "farthest descendant" thing is coming tomorrow.

#15 2018-05-15 21:37:50

Kinrany

The game seems to focus on two views of civilization:
subjective, where you see the civilization from inside, by living one life as a child and a parent,
and objective, outside view, where you observe the general dynamics and outcomes.

Family tree browser contributes to the second view, and I like that.

#16 2018-05-25 12:26:58

Xuhybrid

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, well, those other characters are forbidden, so it wasn't a true risk.

I am processing all client-supplied strings with regex's to allow only the characters and format that I want to allow.

Turns out that single quotes are allowed in spoken words, and I just put that in the regex without thinking about it...

Fix is just to surround it with double quotes in the query, as double quotes are not allowed in spoken text.

Also, I was able to go through the log of all the failed queries and re-insert them with a fix-up, so all those "lost lives" are in there now.

You should always be using " but u can also just filter the SQL to replace " with \"
Ideally you shouldn't be writing raw SQL statements anyway. Pass your SQL through a class/object model.

#17 2019-01-25 07:13:55

Mederos

Is the family tree browser open source? I would like to use it on my private server.

Thank you!

#18 2019-01-25 14:38:05

wondible

Mederos wrote:

Is the family tree browser open source? I would like to use it on my private server.

Thank you!

The lineageServer directory in the source looks promising. I presume you've already got the source if you are running a server.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#19 2019-01-26 15:07:24

karltown_veteran

jasonrohrer wrote:

Second, babies now inherit the last monument bell that their mother heard before they were born.  This bell will "echo" through the genetic mother-baby connection when the baby is 0.5 years old.  Thus, trans-generational pilgrimages to distant monuments is now possible (journeys that are too long to make in one lifetime).

Yessss!

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#20 2019-01-26 16:11:32

CrazyEddie

karltown_veteran wrote:

Yessss!

Karl, buddy, that update is from May last year.

Board footer