One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-08 22:36:41

startafight

when do you keep kids? and when do you abandon them?

i think its interesting to see correlation between infanticide irl and in this game. i kill kids that dont respond to me. why do you kill your kids?

#2 2018-05-08 22:38:53

Lotus

Re: when do you keep kids? and when do you abandon them?

I always keep my children unless I am told not to, they are rude, they are bots, or they run and suicide. Knowing that they are actual players motivates me to keep them, if they were not I would probably abandon some of my children.

#3 2018-05-08 22:42:50

YAHG

I ask them if they want to live, if they don't say anything or run away I let em die.
Otherwise I TRY to live, don't always succeed but makes a nice challenge.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-05-08 23:34:07

startafight

lday wrote:

I always keep my children unless I am told not to, they are rude, they are bots, or they run and suicide. Knowing that they are actual players motivates me to keep them, if they were not I would probably abandon some of my children.

i usually abandon afk kids cos if theyre not paying attention when im touring them around theyll end up breaking rules/ not knowing where all the shit i showed them is. i also mostly keep the ones who say ily or hi mom cos its cute smile

#5 2018-05-09 02:09:05

thirdplanet

I mostly like playing as Eve or setting up satellite camps away from the main village when I am born as a girl, so I usually try to give my kids a heads up about the situation and ask them if they are willing to help set up a new settlement.

If they say yes, they tend to have a really high survival rate because we have a common goal.
If they would rather be in a town, then they know that's not what they're gonna get here and they run away.

I am such a sucker for kids that say stuff like "pls" or "ily"... I just can't bring myself to let them die ;~;

Discord: kingbaby // be nice!

#6 2018-05-09 02:11:38

Turnipseed

I let alot die while i get farm started. Id like to be able to raise everyone, but you cant support 10 kids on 5 berry bushes long enough to get a bowl or a waterskin.

Usually try to keep a boy and a girl.

When in a town i usually just keep an eye on the food supply and raise kids accordingly. Even some brand new people can be a huge help, because they watch other people and just copy what they do. Others are just carrot sponges... but hey they gotta learn somehow.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2018-05-09 02:11:45

Lotus

^

In regards to AFK kids, I try to feed them unless it is an inconvenience to me or my people. If there is a food shortage, and you are AFK, I will either let you die or run away and try to survive off of berries.

#8 2018-05-09 02:28:01

Siolfor the Jackal

I never abandon kids. I won't chase you if you run off though. Even as an Eve I will raise every baby. I can usually start a camp, but I then rely on my children to get it going and expand it while I'm raising more kids, usually run off a bit further so there are still plenty of natural berries around camp. It usually works well except for when you have too many new players. I try and teach but they never remember to keep food on them when exploring.
If a town tells me to abandon or kill my children, I will often just leave that place, sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. Been a few times where I was like "Fuck this place, come on, kids. Let's make our own town, with blackjack and hookers".

#9 2018-05-09 02:37:55

Lily

If they randomly run off, I don't try that hard to catch them, though I do give some leeway if they are just looking around. Otherwise I keep them all, unless there is so little food that keeping them is basically guarantees to kill all all my other children. If I have too many, and there is stuff in the wilds, I will usually run out and find food there and raise the child until they are a bit older. But if that isn't an option then there isn't much you can do.

#10 2018-05-09 05:21:17

Nubbcakes

i'll only abandon a kid if there's not enough food around or if i'm too busy trying to get an important task getting done and there's not another woman taking care of babies. i feel bad every time because i know it sucks being abandoned by a mother but i'd rather lose a baby than starve out my kids/villagers that have already been working hard.

#11 2018-05-09 07:08:54

pein

once a day maybe i play as matriarch, but not on my working days
in general my target is two daughters, then i abandon everyone as i dont want my kids have age 0 uncles and aunts
is their responsibility now
i keep the last kid usually, before i go old, i got time for that

with the new changes, jason say in coordinates topic, you kinda block them from coming back ever again if you dont feed them, this also should mean that there are not so many kids, so they should be important. in reality it wont.

i always keep smart kids even if not mine
smart babies: stand on a medium temperature location, clamp keyboard, follow you, dont jump out of your hand
this annoys me a lot, kid jumps out to the fire? i just picked you up from there , your temperature stays the same idiot
jumps out when naming? last time you did that
goes to scouting, better be there where i left you
put down on perfect temperature, dont even follow me, i know the timing
i got a basket or a branch to carry, cause my camp needs it. if you dont follow you die
i tend to let one go, if i holding one, especially same gender. its so hard to raise two sons , sry holding one. two babies can effectively kill you at age 17, also you explained half of the stuff for one kid, when other arrives, and you wont be able to tell him the same thing, so i either let them go or make me follow
i dont keep others kids. im not a matriarch

when there are more woman, you wont have enough food, i just name them and drop them off, later if still there i feed them, i make a favor by working not by raising more kids, if they really wanna keep it do so, i dont mind if they dont.
if someone picks up a kid i choosed to not keep, i shoot the person, shooting the kid wont help
depends also on the town size, if im an eve, i really just want one kid maybe who knows what he/she is doing, until we got a carrot farm, then is a strong preferance for two girls. In big cities, i keep most of them, let them have fun, sucks to be eves kid over and over, and finally you get to a big town and die.

Last edited by pein (2018-05-09 07:11:40)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-05-09 07:31:25

breezeknight

i don't do families in OHOL

not until two changes are introduced as regular gameplay

1. family trees
2. cure for & protection against being murdered as easily

#13 2018-05-09 09:46:40

TrustyWay

breezeknight wrote:

1. family trees

You can't complain against murder, there is one cure : Learning how to play, I never get kill and win all my fights. Last time I have been stab was because I stabbed by a griefer's mom while trying to explain who I killed, she misstook me with a murderer and she killed me easily. If you can't deal with a murderer, then you don't really know how to play.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-09 09:47:44)

#14 2018-05-09 11:34:14

breezeknight

TrustyWay wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

1. family trees

You can't complain against murder, there is one cure : Learning how to play, I never get kill and win all my fights. Last time I have been stab was because I stabbed by a griefer's mom while trying to explain who I killed, she misstook me with a murderer and she killed me easily. If you can't deal with a murderer, then you don't really know how to play.

you kill, i don't - that's your whole secret

a game that favours murderers & victimizes constructivity is in your favour not my
if this bias continues i will quit, then you can concentrate on the remaining idiots to kill tongue

#15 2018-05-09 11:50:22

pein

TrustyWay wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

1. family trees

you talking they kill you, you playing they grief you, you older you starve faster in a duel
you kill for a reason they kill cause you are murderer
no one wants to kill you, no one has the skill do smith/herd sheep/build stuff
stupid system, not about skill
won my last duels, even if i wasnt even warned, just he/she stepped near me and knife was in pack, im moving away, cowards dont even give a chance just wait until you are talking

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer