One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-07 14:21:15

jord1990

How to deal with different opinions on the internet.

Let me start by saying that im not posting this as a moderator, but as a normal member that has been on the internet for quite some time now.

As some of you might have noticed the forums have turned in to quite a hostile and argumentetive place. This place started as a place where people would discuss rules for survival and share their experiences in the game with each other. The most responded to threads nowadays are those that brag about griefing or the ones talking down on other players, Instead of the positive threads that are still around.

So what can we do?

Well its simple when something is split into 2 sides the side that you give your attention to will always win, So instead of responding to the baity "Hey look at me im a griefer thread" just ignore them and move on. You are never gonna change their mind and your response is what they are after. By responding to it they have already won. And if you ignore them long enough their post will fade into nothingness instead of hanging somewhere near the top.

I really hope everyone stops and thinks about this for a second before every troll decides its an easy way to get attention and the forum becomes uninhabitable.

just my 2 cents,
Jord

#2 2018-05-07 22:12:15

Angel Carrillo

Re: How to deal with different opinions on the internet.

Thanks! It seemed like the forums started to devolve around the time of the apcoalypse and *broken* decay updates.
Worth the two cents XD.

#3 2018-05-08 01:41:58

YAHG

I have NEVER seen the OP's strategy work. It does sound nice at least though lol.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-05-08 03:10:32

BlueRock

Ironically I've seen cases where both ignoring and interacting with the griefers escalated what they did.
But, passive silence is a thing you can do, yes.

#5 2018-05-08 08:57:31

pein

i do think that some people are inflexible, like the corvus guy, who registered just because i chased him for 50 minutes ingame, he was a thief and he still doesnt see where he was wrong
others like disehs are good at game i guess, just bored of it, a griefer can still be converted to a mass murderer which is better

i think you always need to imagine yourself in their place, for a moment understand motives, and highlight some other possibilities which could of been done, there will not be absolute truth and im more pragmatic than idealist, time in a game can limit you from doing stuff, and spending on people who dont even try to learn is a waste, this gets people mad after a time and they do want to prove them wrong but you can only do it if you understand the situation
as on forums, people talk, some are more angry, i guess its not good for a moderator, cause trolls are superior skilled than the average persons and they do not give a motive to get banned, but the ones who challenge them often get mad

people complain a lot, and they want everything on silver platter ingame, decay wasnt that bad, jason screwed us more with the temperature update, which no one seems to talk about, giving back the baskets everyone cried about, but removing stumps which is more useful long term

is still a nice game, and gonna evolve in a good direction, and at least moderately sarcastic optimistic behavior would be nice on forums, all i see is "this is bad with the game" all i think is "you are bad at the game"

Last edited by pein (2018-05-08 08:58:55)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-05-08 09:15:22

breezeknight

an additional "ignore" feature for the forums would be also helpful,
it did spare me a lot of useless hassle where it was included

Board footer