One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-04 00:34:56

GreenTeaCat

The Problem with "Carrot Seed Guards"

Sometimes in a large village, someone decides to guard the seeding row with a knife or a bow and arrow. While I personally wouldn't do this, it is sometimes necessary to scare people into not picking the carrots that we need for seeding, because many people, griefers or not, will pick them, ultimately killing the whole village. However, I think there's something these "Carrot Seed Guards" need to be aware of:

5 carrots= *7* seeds (really the only row that I would think to be worth it for seeding, unless your village is really struggling)
4 carrots= 4 seeds (okay for seed if no other seed row, but obviously not ideal)
3 carrots=3 seeds (I wouldn't leave this row unless it was literally our last hope and it had already been sitting for a while)
2 carrots= 2 seeds (waste of soil, wouldn't even provide much food for a large group, I would always pick this)
1 carrot=1 seed (huge waste of soil, anyone who claims this to be a seed row is simply stupid, always pick)

I *should not* be stabbed for picking a row with two carrots in it, *especially* when there are other fuller rows for seeding! Just use common sense, people. Please realize that only rows with 4 or 5 carrots are really worth killing for.

And to people who randomly just pick one or two carrots, please stop. Check if there's a seed row. Don't be an asshole.

Thanks for reading my rant

#2 2018-05-04 00:44:25

TrustyWay

Re: The Problem with "Carrot Seed Guards"

Well welll well, well, well.. the dude taking the first carrot making it lose 3 seeds is like eating 3 full plots of carrots 15 futur carrots. We should stab more of these people, they can go in the wild.

But if  it is an huge village, food is running and the nature around is used, things go crazy quickly... and you shouldn't be killed for taking the two last carrots except these are the last remaning carrots in the farm

#3 2018-05-04 00:49:27

GreenTeaCat

TrustyWay wrote:

Well welll well, well, well.. the dude taking the first carrot making it lose 3 seeds is like eating 3 full plots of carrots 15 futur carrots. We should stab more of these people, they can go in the wild.

But if  it is an huge village, food is running and the nature around is used, things go crazy quickly... and you shouldn't be killed for taking the two last carrots except these are the last remaning carrots in the farm

Good  point. I agree that the people eating the first carrot are the biggest issue.

#4 2018-05-04 00:50:45

YAHG

I think the Guard should kill you if you pick them seed rows regardless if they picked yet. Is good law for the good of the tribe.
Seeds are rare, there is always a starving beggar with their excuses..

Seed Guard is good job for Guard minded people, also Well Guard is good position. I will try to become Well Master with a weapon to enforce prosperity..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#5 2018-05-04 00:54:09

TrustyWay

YAHG wrote:

I think the Guard should kill you if you pick them seed rows regardless if they picked yet. Is good law for the good of the tribe.
Seeds are rare, there is always a starving beggar with their excuses..

Seed Guard is good job for Guard minded people, also Well Guard is good position. I will try to become Well Master with a weapon to enforce prosperity..

Fascist ! Grrrr

But I like fascim in this game

#6 2018-05-04 01:21:27

YAHG

Aye tis a game, I may be pro liberty irl but in game I am a totalitarian religious zealot... It is fun and I likes it <3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#7 2018-05-04 01:56:21

Alleria

Being a seed guard means you spend five minutes of your life protecting 7 seeds. This means you're costing your civ about 60 calories - that is a lot!!! If you're really in such a food insecure position, you should be culling the herd, not wasting calories. You should always have a backup seed row hidden away anyway. You could spend those 60 calories foraging for seeds as well.

If you let a 4 carrot row seed, then you should be killed (pls don't take out of context).

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#8 2018-05-04 01:58:44

YAHG

Alleria wrote:

Being a seed guard means you spend five minutes of your life protecting 7 seeds. This means you're costing your civ about 60 calories - that is a lot!!! If you're really in such a food insecure position, you should be culling the herd, not wasting calories. You should always have a backup seed row hidden away anyway. You could spend those 60 calories foraging for seeds as well.

If you let a 4 carrot row seed, then you should be killed (pls don't take out of context).

Well maybe a small time farm with 7 seeds won't use a guard, maybe if they are 28 seeds?

How you know how many calories that is? I assume you mean hunger boxes right?

#9 2018-05-04 02:11:06

Left4twenty

Its a bit like mutually assured destruction in my opinion.  It's only a deterrent if the use is implied.  And sometimes you have to nuke japan.  I got off track

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#10 2018-05-04 03:30:43

CoCo

I think I witnessed your murder. Were you the dark haired woman killed by a male in the big-ish town with many wells near the carrot farm? As you died you were ranting because a carrot had already been picked? I was a baby. None of that is super telling I know and I don't have any input, just wanted to know if that was you.

Last edited by CoCo (2018-05-04 03:31:20)

#11 2018-05-04 05:00:45

GreenTeaCat

CoCo wrote:

I think I witnessed your murder. Were you the dark haired woman killed by a male in the big-ish town with many wells near the carrot farm? As you died you were ranting because a carrot had already been picked? I was a baby. None of that is super telling I know and I don't have any input, just wanted to know if that was you.

XD

That was me haha. I was ranting because there were only two carrots left and there were two other seed rows that had more. It was dumb lol.

It really pissed me off lmao.

#12 2018-05-04 05:45:12

pein

just put down a single fence kit and hoard sheep bones around, or dig some pits, until becomes an 1x3 or 1x2 room
put two fences, three fence rails for awesomeness, plant carrots inside
people wont pick it cause its closed, even noobs realize its closed, or you got some time to tell them, if they still pick it, just put the fence on them, naturally they put one outside, one inside, then you put two on them they cant do shit, stand with fence rail in hand, that will be the last carrot row they eat, or they understand what they did just do
if you run around naked, and starving, you see a carrot plot, you pick it 90% of time

it pisses me off wasting time, yes, maybe they could go out with a basket and get a soil but they never do, as they never feed sheep after shearing, as they never water berries after eating
how much a life worth?
i could also dig out around the kilns, and becomes a 5x5 room, then nobody enters just because its next to farm, then its intentional
newbies do a lot of  annoying things, but save them from themselves, obviously when city gets bigger, you need 2nd carrot farm, second pie station, second forge, etc. but try to use your wells as walls, or some oven bases, they are cheaper

then you got a preventing measure, you see bad intentions
yesterday like 4 smithing hammers were gone and cant figure out where, people pick everything up then place it anywhere, so annoying, especially if you dont realize that its gone and you already started the fire

sadly a lot of persons doenst worth the carrot they eat, but its still our fault as they had a bad mother, who didnt instruct them and everything is open so mistakes can be made

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2018-05-04 06:07:48

YAHG

Like pein says seeds should not be in same plot.

I would add that you should leave bits of food about near work locations so people less likely to starve.

Also explain to nearby people why you do stuff sometimes, a lot of people will only learn from in game sources, we are one of them <3.

#14 2018-05-04 06:47:02

breezeknight

in this game you get killed for nothing,
no need for an opportunity of 2 carrots seeding row as an excuse

this game is about killing those who cannot do anything about it

#15 2018-05-04 07:13:22

FounderOne

Before the decay update I started to build outposts/seedbanks in and near towns since we all spawned over and over again in the same area it was sometimes even harder to get seeds when you lived in a good running town.

I had different concepts:

Decentralised outpost:

They were mostly far away from the city, but still close enough to reach the city. City and Outpost were connected with a road, lot of people traveled there and saw the outpost.Everyone I saw, I told the purpose and whats the plan.
I even told my kids to live at the outpost and keep it in a good shape.

Later I came back and some eve lived her live there. She had no clue about the place and all seeds were gone.

fence/adobe wall with door

In the city right next to the farm I build a room and told everyone it is for seeds.
After a while when good times ended and mismanagement started. The seeds of the field run out and the seed room was used. But when food was back at normal level no one cared about the seed room and so it stayed empty.

I think seeds started to decay or I wanted to make it harder to pick the seeds.
I just planted the soil + seeds without watering them.
From each plant two rows. So you could water one row and still have a backup seed.

When I tried this one women started to farm in the room like it was a farm that lacks of water. Next to here was a gigantic carrot farm not in a room?!?

So then I went ham. I build a big room out of adobe. No door no nothing only seeds inside. You had to hit down the wall with two people to get into the Seedbank.

I thought this will be a good idea since you need two people and its hard so no new players can open it.
After maybe two hours I came back. A part of the wall was deconstructed and someone planted 20 wheat plants in it and later it became to a storage room for clothes.

After that moment I stopped to build a seed vault.....

Now with signs it could work out again.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#16 2018-05-04 09:00:09

Alleria

YAHG wrote:
Alleria wrote:

Well maybe a small time farm with 7 seeds won't use a guard, maybe if they are 28 seeds?

How you know how many calories that is? I assume you mean hunger boxes right?

Calories are what hunger bars are often called, yep. It's not realistic that you'd ever have more than 2 seed rows though, so moot point. In a hypothetical scenario where the whole server lives in one town it still wouldn't make sense to have a dedicated seed guard. At that point, you may as well just have a full-time carrot farmer (oh wait we usually have half the town farming carrots...). If you have people eating from the carrot row, then you're low on food, and seeds aren't your biggest concern...

Last edited by Alleria (2018-05-04 09:01:16)

#17 2018-05-04 09:05:27

Alleria

pein wrote:

it pisses me off wasting time, yes, maybe they could go out with a basket and get a soil but they never do, as they never feed sheep after shearing, as they never water berries after eating
how much a life worth?

Please don't tell me you feed sheep after shearing... You're wasting 40+ food every time you do that...

If you are, then please stop. The only sheep you're supposed to feed are babies. Never shear the last sheep.

#18 2018-05-04 09:28:13

TrustyWay

Alleria wrote:
pein wrote:

how much a life worth?

Please don't tell me you feed sheep after shearing... You're wasting 40+ food every time you do that...

If you are, then please stop. The only sheep you're supposed to feed are babies. Never shear the last sheep.

True that, feed adult sheep is a bad choice and waiste of money

#19 2018-05-04 09:58:22

KucheKlizma

It's dumb statements like that, that make people want to deliberately find you and grief you. And knowing that you can't handle it, please keep going, getting popcorn for the next event.

#20 2018-05-04 11:51:53

Baker

I remember one of the seed guards killed our village anyway. Our only girl ate the seeds and got shot, We would have screwed either way.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#21 2018-05-04 14:56:27

KucheKlizma

The Carrot Guard Sponges and YAHG are just closet griefers.
They like griefing, but don't like admitting to it, so they hide behind convenient masks and are the fist ones to talk down on people who can handle admitting the truth.
They fall within the sub-griefer category and should be handled as such.

It's Grief or be Griefed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzVwV_L … t4bw-vJ8BO

#22 2018-05-04 19:20:03

YAHG

KucheKlizma wrote:

The Carrot Guard Sponges and YAHG are just closet griefers.
They like griefing, but don't like admitting to it, so they hide behind convenient masks and are the fist ones to talk down on people who can handle admitting the truth.
They fall within the sub-griefer category and should be handled as such.

It's Grief or be Griefed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzVwV_L … t4bw-vJ8BO

I don't pretend to not kill people when I think they deserve it for example I support killing towns that kill all boys or all white people or all women or all brown people etc.

I would rather not start talking shit about you in public, though I am capable. I don't know, why you are trying to disparage me?

#23 2018-05-04 19:28:18

FeignedSanity

@ YAHG

I feel like you're ignore the basic game mechanics. Women and men work differently in this game, women are a necessity while men are not. Now I do disagree with the notion that boys are useless, they are the most effective form of birth (population) control. But that has nothing to do with gender, and everything to do with game mechanics. Replace boys and girls with anything else, and I think you may get what I'm saying. Unless you're on a crusade to destroy ignorance? But that's not the vibe I'm getting.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-05-04 19:31:04)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#24 2018-05-04 20:34:03

YAHG

FeignedSanity wrote:

@ YAHG

I feel like you're ignore the basic game mechanics. Women and men work differently in this game, women are a necessity while men are not. Now I do disagree with the notion that boys are useless, they are the most effective form of birth (population) control. But that has nothing to do with gender, and everything to do with game mechanics. Replace boys and girls with anything else, and I think you may get what I'm saying. Unless you're on a crusade to destroy ignorance? But that's not the vibe I'm getting.

I think it is dark as fuck to kill all the boys, and I don't much care if it makes sense in a
mathematical game sense way. I think that if I were to do such a thing in a game, for fun,
ritualizing the killing of kids for being boys out of efficiency I would be entraining my mind
to that pattern as well as corrupting my soul. If one was to apply that sort of logic outside
of the game it would quickly be shown for what it is. I like to play around with the RPing
thing I would not or never be able to be/do irl. I like to be a loving mother or wise elder,
but also negative roles, I also like to take vengeance for slights, I think being a highway
bandit would be fun also it would be fun to overthrow a king and become the king, or to
capture the water and control a country. Maybe start a struggle for power etc etc etc. I am
not a Saint nor am I a Demon and a game about life is a nice way to enjoy things that it isn't
ok to irl.

I understand that life bleeds into games and the reverse is likely true as well, there are
things I won't do in games because I think they are just too Evil. I am sure most people can
think of some of their own things, and I am sure people have different lines they draw.

If killing is in game, we can assume that there are justified reasons in game to kill. Why isn't
people doing something you find morally reprehensible a good enough reason to kill someone
in a fucking game? Killing people for logic and math is fine but not vengeance, not righteousness,
not amusement, not malice? If not, why not?

You could say that killing the seed carrot eater is bad if you are only saving a few carrots, or
you could say that he costs 40 calories to guard them. You could also say that 40 calories a
cycle is the price of making sure you don't have to run out for more seeds ever again, that
could be worthwhile. You could also say that the Law is absolute and in this village we don't
let minor infractions slide. You could say the guard killed the last girl wrongly or in error, or
you could say that it is not the place of the Guard to change the law. Is there an
Overseer/Mayor of the village? Perhaps just a Baron (I think to be a King you need people under
you..). I think governance has a place in this game as I think it will make towns stronger,
especially as they get larger and we don't know everyone or even most people.

What is the purpose of the Law and what or whom does it serve?

I think that there will be many different laws overlapping with each other, and that some or some
combinations of them will be more or less beneficial to the villages survival. Those who live in such
villages will be able to experience the difference and over time the law will adapt to be more effective
at doing what the players want. This is probably not PURE survival but that and a mix of other
things, much like irl law is for us.

I don't really have a problem with people hiding food etc in the woods, I think if you are doing that
it is fine for me or someone to kill your char with the bow etc. I think you add depth and you make
the game more interesting for us all so thank you. I have hidden string so I could make my clothes
without people using it all, I could see a personal stash of food as something I might do, as I already
like to keep a pie or two in my pack. I will feed people who F from my pack especially if they are
relatives, and I will give female relatives my clothes if the village is in trouble.

I think there is a difference between looking out for the village at the expense of other people (eg. babies)
versus yourself. I don't only help villages and I don't only kill them, just like in regular life, lol I am not
all one way or the other.

#25 2018-05-04 20:47:40

FeignedSanity

@ YAHG

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll do so again here. I think this was a misunderstanding on my part. I've been conditioned to assume that "killing kids" meant that you were not feeding them and leaving them to starve. I'm used to people saying "murder" when it involves that kind of killing. So with that being the case, I would like to say that I see your point and I'm not against you. I probably wouldn't do it myself (meaning going out to destroy civs like this), but I can't say I have a problem with it.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

Board footer