One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-01 19:30:43

CoCo

She really wanted my backpack...

I was the matriarch of a town and I tell all the children that they should farm until they're older and when they have a replacement they can do the fun stuff. No one likes to farm, everyone wants to blacksmith, but it must get done. Usually this works well. Children do their time farming and then they earn the right to do other things. My heart is warmed when I see a mother holding her baby by the farm, telling him or her the rules.

TODAY, however, none of the children listened to me. So I told them, whoever I see doing their time farming will inherit my backpack and shirt. Still no help. So I'm an elder now. As a last ditch effort, I tell a baby I find by the campfire that if they promise to make sure the farm doesn't die out, they can have my things. They agree and one of my daughters runs to me saying she wants the backpack. I tell her no, she did not help at all at the farm. I suit up this cute little baby with my things and THIS HORRIBLE DAUGHTER GRABS THE BABY, RUNS AWAY (I can't chase at this point, my stomach is too small and my backpack was given to the baby), SHE COME BACK WITH NO BABY BUT SHE NOW HAS A NEW BACKPACK AND SHIRT. Oh dear lord these children.

#2 2018-05-01 19:49:53

Dust

Re: She really wanted my backpack...

These are the moments, that make the game so epic. big_smile

#3 2018-05-01 19:54:44

Pronghorn

That's messed up.
But it was still funny XD

Please be kind.

#4 2018-05-01 20:02:43

YAHG

Pronghorn wrote:

That's messed up.
But it was still funny XD

Amen, lil babeh can't defend it's backpack..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#5 2018-05-01 20:10:56

mulgara

Jokes on her, the backpack is gonna be useless soon anyway.

On a related note, sometimes I'll just be walking through town and my backpack turns to shit and suddenly pies everywhere. And then I'm just on the floor trying to pick up all the pies and I don't know what to do with them. Kinda like this:

a24.gif

Last edited by mulgara (2018-05-01 20:11:19)

#6 2018-05-01 21:41:04

pein

worst thing i dropped a knife from backpack, cause decay
and didnt even realized, grey hair lady got it, ofc didnt give me back

sometimes it makes me mad when i see they clothing babies, once i had to run 4 biomes after a baby, not because i wanted to feed but because fucker didnt drop the pack, also they become hot in fire

when you see they take backpack on and off, they are new and they dont even deserve full gear, cause they wont even go 40 tiles away, and maybe the die before reaching age 10, and especially the extra warmth gonna give false sensation of how hunger mechanic works
today i had a girl i gave a hat and a decaying pack, i put her down near the farm, still was carrots on floor, i had a son, so i dropped my grown daughter, when i came back another kid weared her stuff, all the adults there no one fed my kid, instead they ate all carrots before her

so i kidnapped every single kid, into sheep pen, some starved, some made it back
then finally i stabbed the girl who had my girls clothes, it was like a moment, i had to drop a pie to make my blade into knife, she grabbed my pie and didnt put it back, i understand you starving but then you are fine, its not yours, just as your clothes not yours, so i killed her, even so because her mom got all the gear at my birth and stood by farm all the time, me working my ass off with wild food to get myself a pack, and even my kid died, they scavenge the body, playing favorites its not nice, put gear down, further away, if a kid makes it there deserves the gear,probably can use better than a random baby

did it once, picked up baby a few times as male, starved triing to get off his cactus from shoe, he came back, called me names, i shot him, was kinda masochist i guess, cause came back third time, and just for fun i kidnapped her, i really worked for community that game jsut kinda pissed me seeing him click the backpack the wrong way, having three food near him and still asking to feed him as he had hair

you can jump off as a baby, make back to safety

also 99% of time you should give gear to older people, like moms, if she chooses to give to a kid, let it
but some of you might been lucky and some run naked as an adult, then they see a baby in full gear, yea you can have better chances, gearing up a baby girl, and you reborn to her later, but most often then not, would be nice to give something to everyone

Last edited by pein (2018-05-01 21:42:00)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-05-02 00:03:55

CoCo

Pein, you make some good points and you are right that they need to deserve the gear. BUT NO ONE IN MY VILLAGE WAS CARING ABOUT THE LONGEVITY OF OUR VILLAGE. Also, I would argue that since children have smaller stomachs, they need the backpack more to carry food and be useful but yes they need to earn it. Regrettably, I gave the adults PLENTY of opportunity to earn it so a random kid was a better choice than any of them. People need to respect who they give their gear to as well. If you're an adult, you can probably make it to the Savannah to collect furs to make your own.

YAGH said it best. Poor "lil babeh can't defend it's backpack.." I mean, yeah they could have dropped out of their hands but to be honest, they probably didn't expect that the girl's intentions were to starve them for something so petty....

#8 2018-05-02 00:05:14

CoCo

No child, not the pies! D:

mulgara wrote:

Jokes on her, the backpack is gonna be useless soon anyway.

On a related note, sometimes I'll just be walking through town and my backpack turns to shit and suddenly pies everywhere. And then I'm just on the floor trying to pick up all the pies and I don't know what to do with them. Kinda like this:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori … 18/a24.gif

#9 2018-05-02 00:52:56

pein

not about smaller stomach, backpack is needed for the ones who go further or to store things some people shouldnt put hands on like knife, steel file, stomach doesnt matter if you stand next to a farm

annoys me a bit that people dont know the seed rule, like 4 carrot 4 seed, 5 carrot 7 seed
they often tell me that why i did take the seed row, when is 4 carrot and we got other one, its not a frickin seed row anymore when 1 is missing, pick one out all  then start the next one, also make the seed row elsewhere, people run to farm starving ofc they pick one,  when they keep one carrot as seed row, they lose a soil for one fricking seed, its just madness and others still lurking around then they die

you can have all the furs if no thread to sew it, had lifes when i just simply couldnt get out of town cause anything i put down disappeared, and was running with a carrot to find a snare, back, my thread gone
one game i missed like 3 times a backpack, as i born, as i had no thread, later on a dead body, i was pissed and pick up a kid as male, telling to give me the backpack, he immediately put it down, i was giving him my fur cloth

giving the kid, you can piss off the smaller brothers and sisters again, they remember, you might not

other game, i fed a small girl carrot as all ladies were away/old
she was like 7 bar, so one min away, so she tried to pick off stuff from a dead body, it actually made me lag she clicking 25 times, same the backpack missing from me, she didnt stop, i got my pack but i kidnapped her as i keep her alive and she still tries to take the stuff, she could seen i had everything else, then even calling me names, and telling the elders, they didnt run sht, i jsut shot her as i seen was greedy, its subjective, most of time

i need the pack as im effective at exploring, i usually get fur back to compensate, lot of people just want everything ready, also you already got problem when you cant gear everybody up
thats why i give every kid one item, easy to identify if they are dead, some of them life a short life wearing one shoe! if i cant give any more, i dont make more kids

during baby booms, all the babies are competitors, you often see kids with a basket, 1 stalk, 2 carrots, they do this for  5-10 minutes, if no thread but furs are there

kidnap is like the following test, you can jump out and find others, if you lag maybe not, kidnapper probably wont chase further, especially if a woman, cause feeds you so needs to take you 2 screens away. i actually tried to kidnap every signle baby to test their survival skills, if they mother doesnt care enough to check upon kid, but someone gives gears, its kinda annoying

smart babies need the gear, but smart adults can get too. if you see a naked smith, he probably not a newbee, just assessed that wont be able to get thread and focuses on his job. instead you give clothes to a kid who you know nothing about, already spoiled, takes food and wonders around what should he do as he is already geared, people should respect superior skill level persons and make their life easier

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-05-02 04:00:03

Dishehs

I know the feeling.  My grandmother told me I could take her stuff when she died. When she died some random unrelated naked guy and a bunch of little kids stripped her corpse clean like vultures.

What they didn't know was grandma had shown me where she stashed her knife.  The truth is we're all just looking out for our selves. Everyone wants full gear, weapons and backpacks full of pies.

Nobody truly cares for anyone else, it's all about aquiring more personal wealth. Why do you think everyone stands around next to dying old people.

#11 2018-05-02 12:20:50

karltown

Dishehs wrote:

I know the feeling.  My grandmother told me I could take her stuff when she died. When she died some random unrelated naked guy and a bunch of little kids stripped her corpse clean like vultures..

I know, right? I was a guy in a large village. I started dying my shirt and hat and booties, I told people the dye ready clothes were mine when they tried to take them. Left to get tinder, came back and caught a curly blond trying to put the shirt on her baby.
Then after I died in the same village no one said they loved me. I was immediately born back to a mother in the village who ignored me because she and multiple others were picking my grave clean. I told them to start a fire. I had wanted to dye another kid's shirt as a favor but age had caught up. They never did start that fire, in the five seconds I saw of the village before I starved at least.

If any of you are reading this, I hope you're proud of yourself. Except for the little boy with blond curls who was actually interested in learning how to dye. If you are wearing my red shirt or red booties, or a blue hat I hope you know how you got them.

P.S. I didn't spend my life dyeing clothes. Most of the time I brought back soil and seed. Once I recovered a horse.

Every time time you pick a seed carrot a penguin dies.

#12 2018-05-02 12:53:55

Dishehs

karltown wrote:
Dishehs wrote:

I know the feeling.  My grandmother told me I could take her stuff when she died. When she died some random unrelated naked guy and a bunch of little kids stripped her corpse clean like vultures..

I know, right? I was a guy in a large village. I started dying my shirt and hat and booties, I told people the dye ready clothes were mine when they tried to take them. Left to get tinder, came back and caught a curly blond trying to put the shirt on her baby.
Then after I died in the same village no one said they loved me. I was immediately born back to a mother in the village who ignored me because she and multiple others were picking my grave clean. I told them to start a fire. I had wanted to dye another kid's shirt as a favor but age had caught up. They never did start that fire, in the five seconds I saw of the village before I starved at least.

If any of you are reading this, I hope you're proud of yourself. Except for the little boy with blond curls who was actually interested in learning how to dye. If you are wearing my red shirt or red booties, or a blue hat I hope you know how you got them.

P.S. I didn't spend my life dyeing clothes. Most of the time I brought back soil and seed. Once I recovered a horse.

That's just it,  Peoples true colors are revealed. This is exactly why I despise big civs.

I just make a knife and try to kill as many of them as I can.

#13 2018-05-02 18:33:35

CoCo

Dishehs wrote:

I know the feeling.  My grandmother told me I could take her stuff when she died. When she died some random unrelated naked guy and a bunch of little kids stripped her corpse clean like vultures.

What they didn't know was grandma had shown me where she stashed her knife.  The truth is we're all just looking out for our selves. Everyone wants full gear, weapons and backpacks full of pies.

Nobody truly cares for anyone else, it's all about aquiring more personal wealth. Why do you think everyone stands around next to dying old people.

Wow, you're right! I've seen this happen so much, maybe you are right. But OUCH, it's a truth I want to keep denying. Too dark, too dark.

karltown wrote:

I'm cackling. xD No one told you they love you? D: I promise to tell my kids I love them from now on. And yes, like I said, as long as you make it a point to help with boring stuff, doing fun stuff like dying is fine!

We already need like a hippie/ghandi-esque revolution and we're just in prehistory. /:

Last edited by CoCo (2018-05-02 18:36:10)

Board footer