One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-01 02:58:24

happynova

The things you do when you're the last of your people...

As so often seems to happen, I was born into a rather nice little settlement in a rather nice little spot which seemed to be a happening, thriving place... until one day, for no particular reason, it wasn't, and once again I was the lone male survivor, undisputed ruler of a farm full of dry-planted carrots patiently waiting for someone who might or might not ever come.

I... may have spent the last years of my life spelling out "HI" in tree branches just outside the settlement and leaving a trail of carrots back to the farm.  And then signing my artwork by standing just above it at waiting to die.  Well, they do say solitude can make you loopy.

I'm a little curious what other people do in that sort of situation.  I know a lot of you try to leave your place beautifully ready for new occupants, because I have sometimes been that new occupant, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  But what else do you do?  Suicide?  Take off cross-country looking for somewhere more populated?  Hang around and practice your crafting skills in peace?  Keep on tending the ol' carrot farm or whatever else you spent your life doing, because life is futile, anyway, so why change how you live it just because the futility has become a little more obvious?

I think I've done most of those things at one time or another...

#2 2018-05-01 04:37:56

thirdplanet

Re: The things you do when you're the last of your people...

I almost always try to leave the most organized, well-stocked site I can for any future explorers... playing alone is really the only time you ever get to set things up exactly how you envision them, without other players moving your supplies or anything, so I actually really enjoy surviving as a lone male and setting up my idea of the perfect camp...

I like to leave a forge, kiln, and oven (plus extra adobe for covering kilns), full set of clothes (lately I've been leaving the supplies to make a new backpack too - the furs and a needle and thread, because I know my backpack might decay before travelers arrive). Sometimes a little farm plot, but tbh I don't usually get that far. I just forage and eat rabbits to sustain myself through all my building. If I've gotten a head start by spawning into a modest village, then I just try to make a complete set of tools at least.

Next time I have a life like this I think I'll start laying out a sheep pen. Tending sheep is my favorite part of this game for some reason, I just love setting up their little paddocks.

Discord: kingbaby // be nice!

#3 2018-05-01 06:23:05

Baker

Besides setting up everything for the next person, I try to make a little memorial for my fallen people. I also try to hold out until I die of old age, It increases the chances an eve will spawn near.  I've heard about civs that ran out of girls, kidnapping little girls from neighboring towns.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#4 2018-05-01 06:25:38

A Meme Named Luna

If there are other males around, I make weapons for each of us and duel it out with whoever agrees (or just stab them if they don't agree, since they'll lose all of this anyways). If I'm the last one, I destroy everything possible to warn others that it wasn't a good area to set up camp. Most of the time, though, I just suicide.

Last edited by A Meme Named Luna (2018-05-01 06:26:15)

#5 2018-05-01 07:45:14

pein

i dont even play if map is bad, i always try to move, just a slight
people die on famine as i predict, if i can save a girl then i continue

i used to do smithing, pen making just to be better at it
still sometimes i build some stuff undisturbed

usually i dont find anyone close by, so if i dont have a horse i dont even bother

if the camp can be fixed, i keep it tidy, i suicide when my hunger bar gets shorter

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-05-01 12:25:52

Dishehs

Finish destroying everything so they can't resettle and move on to the next band of scrubs.

Board footer