One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-24 10:44:01

pein

Guide: how to make a sheep pen

First i start with few important questions:

Why to make a sheep pen?
Sheep can be sheared, giving fleece, can gear up huge population, without using any milkweed
Sheep can be killed for skin which can be also worn, can be used made into a saddle
Mutton pie is actually one of best foods, and the cost of it is one bowl of berry and one carrot, dont need to mash it, but can be

When to make a sheep pen?
You can start doing it when the camp has tools, the farm is going well, and/or you are bored and want something memorable
i always do with first shovel, and shovel can be after hammer and axe, hoe is still advisable.

Where to make the sheep pen?
Not above or below carrot farm, not near it, sheep tends to follow people, or runs straight when escaped, so try to put it diagonally and a bit further from carrot field. Choose a big empty space, so you or others can extend it later.
also be aware not to make it in desert, as it can be too hot, and you lose a lot of food entering
a Shepard will be clothed so normal biome is better.
You can use natural tiles which block and unremovable: pond, cactus, tree is removable but same as a fence, with axe and shovel afterwards, so you can use a straight line of trees as top of pen, bottom or side not fully recommended. looks good and saves some clicks.

What is the purpose of a pen?
To contain domesticated sheep and dead lambs, make it easier to kill them and feed them. Be closer to collect everything fast.

What tools and items do you need for a pen?
Adze, shovel. You need a sharp and a round stone, also stakes. A cart is good to gather  straight branches, but you can also put fences inside with the update, still can be slow to make in distance then carry back.
Later you need knitting needles, roll spindle, shears to make clothes and a knife for making food.

How to block sheep efficiently?
Sheep cannot move diagonally more than one tile, so items, such as baskets block them from moving on a tile, home markers, big dug rocks.
Not my idea, but the best is filled thrash pits. You can walk trough it, they cant. So the fence is open, but contains them.
cheers to Thorware, he explained first, why this works better: the pit stops sheep from stepping on it, you can walk trough, never goes away. then you need a blocking tile, i usually choose a cactus or a pond. its after the marker, filled pit, diagonally, so sheep can only be on other side of item, not on it, but can change direction so cant go out.

Why to do this entrance?
Dead lambs occupy a tile, if you are inside a closed fence and dont have an empty basket/backpack, you will die without help, as you cannot put down sheer tool to open the fence again. The next person goes for your gear, dies as well. Opening and closing fence can let the sheep out, especially that they run towards you without lamb. Doors cost a lot of milkweed and airlocks take the same amount of time or more.

ClfkQVX.png

i change it later with ingame screenshot
the idea is to make 4 fences, diagonally open, the round object is a thrash pit, which you fill (easiest with rabbit bones, but leaves can do the trick, the point is to be fast, top or side entrance can be made and filled with dead lambs on the go, corner entrance cant, only from outside. smal lambs got a bit longer run distance than big ones, so if they get out in transition to big sheep, they wont stop.

How big the size should be?
At first it doesn't matter, you kinda need like four tiles to be able to feed the small lamb, kill the domesticated sheep, clear it, and feed the next one. But if you make this entrance, at least 3x3 inner territory so 5x5 fence, 16 tiles.

How much is the cost?
Each fence kit needs 2 straight branches, this entrance costs 3 fences
3x3 requires 15 fences, total 18, so 36 straight branches
3zLZxOP.png
with adobe base it cost 16 adobe, no shovel needed
with graves it cost 16 corpses and 16 flatstones, and a shovel

once we did 3 persons but couldnt make it 7x7, not enough wood, also takes you a lifetime. 5x5 is managable with a big green biome, with a lot of maple trees or two medium ones, sometimes more. you should be able to gather it from 2 screens away.
People should pick off this trees to help fence makers. Could be a full job for a kid, gathering wood.

random tips and tricks:
you can make different versions of this, with different side entrances or multiple entrance, if its unique, its easy to recognize, buildings are always on spotlight in videos too!
check other topics on forum
you can make it out of adobe!
or you can make north south fences and horizontally adobe wall. this makes impossible to be destroyed with bare hands

list of jobs:
choose position, not too hot, not too cold, big open space, close to maple trees
make entrance, preferably to the side of city, at least two entrances so they can go out if they kill sheep on corner, or have one entrance but a corner fileld inside the pen
make fence, 3x3 at least
prepare a rope, and a bowl of berries with carrot, let others know not to move it, sometiems they use it up for compost
you need a bow to shoot a muflon, then rope for the lamb, escaped sheeps only need a rope as the lamb gonna get separated after a bit. You dont need to shoot the muflon either (you can juggle with corner of the screen and use the rope to catch the lamb when the muflon steps out of screen, pretty hard to do but possible in theory, cant reproduce this ).
put pie in your backpack, rope, carrot, arrow, take a bow, shoot muflon, eat, rope kid, run home, release inside pen, feed it immediately. others can feed it, or feed you, ask for help, can be deadly if you are too far
you can "push" the muflon backward, standing opposite side of it, when clsoe to city and has lamb shoot it
sheered sheep doesn't spawn lambs! keep one un-sheared. or keep the wild muflon as makes normal sheep but cant be sheared, killing for space is bad idea
When killing one, feed one. If you need saddle, dont shear, if you dont need, shear first. Feed the lamb, then kill the old ones to maintain population. Always keep one alive!
extend fence if you got straight branches, also you can put seed row inside a separate fence reusing some walls
make a fence for horse
get a lasso  (8 milkweed), catch a horse and park it to fence, feed carrot
kill sheep, get hide, needle and thread, make saddle
put cart after it
someone should make a fence in other biomes to be able to go with horse there
a cart with four bowls to feed sheep, wild berries from distant biomes are good for this
you can plant a few domesticated ones and place cistern/well and water it after taking it
if you shear it, feed it! dont just take the clothes and go away, at least set up for next harvest
when you kill sheep, you can cut it, put the 4 pieces to cart, cant go into basket
but can go onto the crust, then in basket so bring crust to pen, then back to oven
you can either bake it in oven or put on a pie.
teach kids how to feed sheep
show them how to dye clothes
give the knife for someone who is worthy, inside backpack, or basket, dont stab your apprentice xD

and if you are a griefer, then think about that someone spent more than 60 minutes to contain sheep, get tools, and you release them for a pity revenge.

the best version is grave pen, as graves serve as storage too so you can put meat and lambs to walls and someone outside take out
this needs graves and flatsones with letter, cheapest letter to make is U
you need a sapling farm, or one skewer for each grave, so 3x3 is 16 sapling
cut skewers with flint chip, becomes letter stock
colect all in one place
make fire  wait ashes, put a bowl of water on it to make simmering water, all letterstocks in it, then use a normal bowl to make letter "U"
put on the grave with flatstone, put chisel, hit with mallet, becomes an uncle grave which is unremovable but can pass items trough
some people feel ofended by this pens, i think it looks good and dont understand why having a purpose is bad
people  shouldnt use shovel on graves before making a pen, if they choose pit pens

pit pens became popular after our conversations, cause its fast, if you got time, still make a fence around it and remove the pits, if unfixed, so put it a bit further from the main good temperature area, some find it ugly

sheep bones also block movement so if missing a corner you can fix temporarily with it

dont throw lambs in the wall! after 20 becoems a filled pit and the sheep will go out!
dont throw broken tools in the wall! combine two and becomes steel scrap which is essentially same as an iron and a coal combined, so makes a new tool!
feed sheep and compost half half , try to use up the mutton meat
if you feed it, keep shears at you, this prevents others stealing the fleece to make clothes for themselves, after you fed all, sheared, made clothes give back

having a pen can ensure everybody is clothed and nobody needs to run out for soil, so feedign sheep as kids can be a job that every major city should do

Last edited by pein (2018-06-12 07:09:46)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2018-04-24 11:59:59

Roolstar

Re: Guide: how to make a sheep pen

May I make a suggestion OP? Not my idea but once I saw it I knew it was brilliant.

<Replace one (or more) of the 5x5 fences with a Box>

Reduces the need to go in and out of the den that often, and it could also hold the tools littering the floor that's better used by sheep

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#3 2018-04-24 12:45:42

Thorware

Here is my post about permanent grief-resistant sheep pens for reference: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1045

Note that adobe walls are no longer permanent, they decay after 5 hours then have only a 30 minute maintenance window. Meanwhile, fences are permanent. So the decision comes down to which is the bigger threat: Griefers/noobs or the decay timer? It's hard to say, but I'd still lean toward griefers/noobs, so I'm still going the adobe route. The suggestion to use fences for the vertical walls and adobe for horizontal is a good one since noobs can't de-log the vertical fences. This approach also has the added benefit of being expandable with a shovel to move the fences if you ever want a bigger pen. You could go a step further and only make vertical fences, even on the horizontal sections. It will work just as well, it will just look really stupid. Stone walls are another option but each tile requires an entire big rock and it will probably be quite a chore to find so many and haul them over.

Here is a less expensive design for a 3x3 pen:

otZbQtq.png

#4 2018-04-24 19:39:31

pein

Roolstar wrote:

May I make a suggestion OP? Not my idea but once I saw it I knew it was brilliant.

<Replace one (or more) of the 5x5 fences with a Box>

Reduces the need to go in and out of the den that often, and it could also hold the tools littering the floor that's better used by sheep

i would put the box inside, griefers tend to make a sledge on it and drag it away, this way you only need to watch out only for the shovels

yeah you can make it fancy
Bo01JCD.png
this design allows 3 horses parked there, and even if cart is removed, the pits block it, only if horse and cart is removed then it wont

this is almost same resource, and cart fits inside for the cost of one extra  wall, but then again, you see the pattern, you could build bigger and keep the cart inside it
3VEyyBj.png

Last edited by pein (2018-04-25 00:17:45)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-04-24 20:05:59

pein

yes, i think griefers come once you got a pen and a knife, you will be griefed before town has 5 hours, also if someone cares enough extends it and tends to it

the wall blocks them but the pit stops from stepping on, thats why the green tiles, to show sheep movement possible

you can build it diagonally and then wont look that bad i think? diagonal fences look weird, should be more like adobe walls but half height

i prefer bottom or left entrance, so stone is a good idea, but only if its 5x5 at least, so i would start left and bottom making stone, fence on right and top, also having keys to it and store  the knife and shears inside? with airlock of course
Vqi9WeX.png
something like this, 5x5 is close to 25 sheep if you clear it and feed sheeps, four mutton pies feed one adult for life so thats enough sheep for most towns, other fence can serve as seed row or berry bushes for compost/sheep food and you save at least one line of fence if you build next to the pen

this implicates you cant move seven fence kits, before you make 11 new fence kits, but 7 is enough to make a 1x2 compartment for seeds

Last edited by pein (2018-04-25 00:13:56)

#6 2018-04-24 20:46:58

pein

ok im in roll, what about extending and using dead lambs to make more entrances?
7ihwvOu.png

this kinda limits width too but easy to make new fence as you got enough fence kits and maybe two or three stakes

edit: no markers needed, so you can fill one leave rest unfilled, and just toss lambs in it, slowly making more entrances
if you ever extend you lose diagonal spots, but i think a 3x3 is ok to ahve, then make bigger elsewhere

Last edited by pein (2018-04-30 10:01:39)

#7 2018-04-24 20:57:53

Xuhybrid

I think there's a mechanic i'm not clear on because doesn't it make more sense to have trash pits instead of home markers? If the tile behind the trash pit is also a trash pit, the AI can't move to either of those tiles and thus no movement is made... Or is the sheep AI different to the lamb AI?

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-24 20:59:16)

#8 2018-04-24 21:12:58

pein

thrash pits cant be removed by griefers, its permanent once filled
home markers can be cut out by griefers, by a sharp stone
also looks cool
one baby suicided over seeing i pick leaves in a basket do xD

lambs can walk trough it some why, sheep can not, the one i seen in "permanent sheep" topic, made it in karltown, the lambs went out trough home markers, just a bit of litter, if they are not fed, but if they are fed, 30 seconds to turn into big sheep, if they move trough at 29 they still considered small, so walks trough it. only happened with the pit+home marker combo, also with double pit combo. so technically only difference is griefer protection. you can use home marker but you still need a wall after a pit

#9 2018-04-24 21:46:34

Xuhybrid

So surely something like the following design would be better, if you take down the home marker after the lamb is grown? This would work right? Also has a bonus where not every lamb is blocking a tile inside the pen.

ayaIkfK.png

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-24 23:22:59)

#10 2018-04-24 23:03:17

danger1penguin

Just a note, why not make all fences corner fences? The only way the sheep can get out then is if a griefer has a shovel. You arent entering the pen through a fence anyways right?

Also based on the last two comments im slightly confused. Is the home marker in the image necessary or can that be a trash pit too?

Last edited by danger1penguin (2018-04-24 23:07:20)

#11 2018-04-24 23:09:56

Thorware

Xuhybrid: Two trash pits won't work. Sheep can move multiple tiles at a time (in a straight line only). I think the maximum move distance is 4 tiles. They can easily pass over two filled trash pits. They simply can't STOP on a trash pit. You need a wall behind the trash pit, then they will never decide to go that way in the first place.

There shouldn't be any real difference between lambs and sheep for escaping these pens. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if lambs have a smaller maximum move distance.

Pein: The diagram you've shown where you tried to build a 3x3 version of the 1x1 pen I showed in the Permanent Sheep thread will not work. You say only the lambs escaped, but it will not hold in sheep either. It must have been some other factor or luck that you never saw the sheep escape. My 1x1 cell works because there is no space for a sheep to get an angle to move straight out of the pen. In your version, there are two ways to get straight out by taking the diagonals. Remember that sheep can pass over two item-blocked tiles at a time no problem as long as they move in a straight line. You need a wall behind the item (or trash pit) at every possible angle a sheep could approach it. That's why the corner version is so much more efficient. There is only one possible angle a sheep could approach the pit.

You guys seem to be struggling to grasp these movement rules. If it's still not clear let me know.

#12 2018-04-24 23:28:50

Xuhybrid

Thanks for clarifying. I haven't experimented myself so i was unsure why two trash pits weren't used. You said that lambs shouldn't have different pathing, but is that an ideal situation or the current one? Why are home markers used in the original designs but not the corner method? I figured it was because lambs could stand on trash pits so i came up with the following alternative if that's a thing they do.

Ih3MN2j.png

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-24 23:48:46)

#13 2018-04-24 23:43:50

Thorware

Xuhybrid:

The home markers in the first image in the corners serve no purpose. They can be removed with no ill effect.

Lambs cannot stand on trash pits, and the transition from lamb to sheep will not sometimes put them on the trash pit. I believe Pein got confused somehow when he tried out the faulty 3x3 pen, then created some weird rule in his head about lambs that is not true.

The fact that lambs do not have different pathing is the current situation, not an ideal. Sorry for the confusing wording.

In your image, both home markers and two of those outside walls can be removed with no problem with lambs.

I admit that it's possible that I could be wrong about lambs somehow, but if so, I would be extremely surprised and would need a detailed explanation.

#14 2018-04-24 23:58:03

Xuhybrid

Awesome. Well i'm just gonna leave this here because it's really satisfying to look at.

UBoTJtC.png

#15 2018-04-25 00:11:34

pein

i think they move 3 only, as i seen when i was herding wild muflons home, they run from you , you can stay opposite of them to direct them in a way, then somebody can kill it with a bow, or you can herd into the fence, but wild ones never leave children behind i think, so anyway you need to kill it, but gives time to set up food, bow

as i told i know it was faulty as i had to remake it, but pretty sure sheep couldnt get out, but lambs did, was a 2x3 fence
i need to test my theory with 3 thrash pits, or 3 lines of thrash pits big_smile would look like a crop circle xD

pls delete the ones that not work

Last edited by pein (2018-04-25 00:21:00)

#16 2018-04-25 00:23:06

Xuhybrid

Delete the ones that don't work? Why? They were created to get a better understanding of the ideal design, just like yours. A lot of elements in yours are unnecessary apparently and only caused confusion for me with AI pathing. Anyway, i'm having fun making skulls from modular sheep pens. Enjoy.

SqcKjOR.png

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-25 00:32:33)

#17 2018-04-25 00:38:35

pein

just the home markers, never told that that one would work
not to confuse people any more i guess

lets start screenshooting ingame big_smile

#18 2018-04-30 08:22:10

Alleria

Bump

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#19 2018-04-30 08:43:53

JS

Once, I think of the possibility of releasing the sheep.
(By novice or bad person)

So close to the village, but I put the sheep away from the carrot farm.

Once I made the design mistake, the sheep were released, but far from the carrot farm.

Or I hunted and fed the place where I found the sheep, and made the sheep right there.

Last edited by JS (2018-04-30 08:46:16)

#20 2018-04-30 09:55:23

KucheKlizma

Currently trash pits prevent building on top of them, so should make multiples around the entrance or maybe even inside to make griefing it (by blocking it) much harder, not just to prevent sheep escaping.

With stone walls and trash pits, it's possible to make a very difficult to grief permanent sheep pen. The more entrances the harder it is it seal off.

A possible design that's scalable, starts small and grows could be to start from a unfilled trash pit pen, which is then surrounded by stone walls. Doesn't really matter if the trash pits are filled before or after, though obviously it will cause downtime if they are filled while it's only a trash pit pen. Only problem is that additional trash pits may alter the design, as you can't build on top of them. Also design of the stone walls won't follow the design of the unfilled trash pit walls, as you won't be able to build on top of em, it will have to encircle it.

#21 2018-04-30 09:58:59

pein

but instead placing sheep inside pen, why not just place carrot farm inside? did once, was funny, too many sheep in screne so just made a 7x7 pit wall, to a pond, 5x5 inside, made 14 carrot rows and a fence on middle right, plan was making a cistern left side
died before. its a viable strategy against all animals to just dig out pits, they cant cross it
this compartment was a nice farm, if we wouldnt died out next generation could got a horse, 12 pouches, fill cistern then put back pouches to cart

i see people realise what is the goal of my pits, so making crazy pit walls, pit tunnels, pit compartments, its fun big_smile
the village which had the many ponds and berry, stone pen, made filed thrash pits inside the road, also had filled monolith with gold looked kinda weird but makes sense, the road wont allow placing items or beiing built on it

#22 2018-05-01 06:54:15

pein

my mom was an eves daughter, they had a camp with no water, basic tools, no farm, she was young, made herself backpack and loin cloth, followed her around, she raised me, asked about water, none she said, so we took one basket each and went exploring, not so far we found an interesting place, forest/swamp mix
she just toss down a marker, later i moved top side, like 30 tiles away, more water, better biome parts

she tried to raise a girl, but she was newbee or suicided, guess she quit when got old

i was trying to set up smithing but had hard time doing so, and when realized momma wont return, i just lost my ambition, but then i seen this line of tule reed, and had to make a pen big_smile
JxDcBGE.png

so if anyone finds it gotta be weird that there is an eve camp like place, small farms and two kilns, oine pouch but a proper functioning pen with a muflon inside

#23 2018-05-01 08:36:06

Roolstar

pein wrote:

my mom was an eves daughter, they had a camp with no water, basic tools, no farm, she was young, made herself backpack and loin

i was trying to set up smithing but had hard time doing so, and when realized momma wont return, i just lost my ambition, but then i seen this line of tule reed, and had to make a pen big_smile

Careful tho, Tule stomps now decay in 1 hour: https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#122/Tule-Stumps

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#24 2018-05-01 09:18:21

pein

oh  thats sad
so now we got longer baskets but we need to go further and further?

was bad enough that people were lazy to go out to make some again

#25 2018-05-01 15:44:49

Roolstar

pein wrote:

oh  thats sad
so now we got longer baskets but we need to go further and further?

was bad enough that people were lazy to go out to make some again

Wheat is the answer for the long term

Board footer