One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-28 18:19:15

aldraw

General build order

So this is what I got:

1. Fire, soil/seed, water skin or clay bowl (Carrot farm)

2. metal, backpack, pies

3. cart, cistern, clothes, milkweed farm

4. sheep, soil, berry farm

5. ?

Asking as much as highlighting.  What do you advanced players think?

#2 2018-04-28 19:05:59

Lily

Re: General build order

Fire is definitely #1. Depending on your rabbit and food situation, making a backpack before a farm is viable. A backpack helps a lot, so if you have the rabbits for it, I would go for it right away. Also depending on how much wild milkweed there is, planting some early might be worth it as well. I would say carrot farm, then milkweed. Also planting the berries early on might be useful too. Even though it isn't going to help you in your life time, by the time they do start having berries your children and their children will be up to the tech where they need them. If you wait til step 4, they will be waiting forever for the berries to actually be useful. Though at the same time, i wouldn't rush it either. Take care of what you need and if you have some free time and soil plant some bushes.

Also early clothes is useful if you have a lot of thread. It is especially worth it to club some seals, since they are an easy source of coats.

#3 2018-04-28 19:28:14

YAHG

Location Location Location

Good temp tiles to base from with lots of pools nearby, hopefully at least 1 maple and juniper for fire restarting.

You can go either fire + clay/adobe-> bowl or fire +rabbit-> needle->pouch to start watering shit.

You need both eventually but you need extra rope to make
snare early if you go for pouch. Bonus is 3 pouches in basket so nice.

Metal is good, if you have a ton of milk you can make stone hoes though.
Hoes are not a big pain to maintain really.

Cistern is mostly only useful for use with with a well+wellmaster to run well
water into safely for town use. Otherwise it only holds water, you should set
rup near ponds anyways and it is unlikely you will be under using your ponds
for long.

Berry farm is key, run carrots as you set it up, it is not AMAZING for you the
planter but it is a GODSEND for your grand-kids, when they start getting those
sweet regrowth's. Lately people have been better about watering the berries
this is good. Sheep will probably be fixed soon if it isn't already and be pooping
like a boss.

I think future is double pen setup for sheeps, you have a bathroom pen for the
sheep babies to grow up in and shit up a storm then you send them over to the
adult pen to keep the floor clear for more shit. Currently if you fail to get composting
up you will eventually get your farm wheated by some asshat, with compost you
will recover so no biggie.

Also the seal is clutch like she said.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-04-29 08:19:23

pein

one of my runs my mom was pretty smart, she moved farm to left near water from the green biome, south was desert too, very good map, me and a girl cousin survived, i let her farm, helped on making baskets and a bit offarming but she managed it with baby nursing so i focused on advanced stuff, we already had liek 3 bowls, but i think like 4 pouches are better starting

i set up my kilns next to the desert, so i enjoyed hunger reduction, hoarding curved shafts and making second hatchet, i set up enough kindling for our first 7 tools, this was from scratch, all gathering was done by me, and even so i finished my sheep pen made out of thrash pits, and got the food for the lamb ready

it seems on main hours the baby booms are rather bad as resources are wasted left and right on different projects, the faster you got the sheep pen, the better i guess

if you are fast enough, and somebody can farm for you, you can do clay bowls, plates, noozle, same time, around 9 items easy and even place adobe on the kiln

milkweed and berry farm should be right from start, each generation should add some, gets harder every generation to get enough ropes and thread

if you reduce cost on sheep pen, you can build it pretty fast, and i think second generation is actually better, same time making as smithing is possible with 3 good players, saves a lot on milkweed, if you can shear the sheeps and saddle makes a good headstart on bringing stuff back

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-04-29 09:05:33

YAHG

I need to be in pein's village..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#6 2018-04-29 12:46:23

mulgara

I generally do:

1. Fire, Water Skin, Carrots

2. Backpack - I do this while others are watering carrots. Also assign someone to forage and
bring back food. But backpacks speed up everything else that you do in the future, so they are key.
Rabbit hunting trips go from 3 rabbits to 7 rabbits being carried back, which means packs for your
family. It's one of the most effective ways to make everyone more efficient.

3. Milkweed and Berry Farm - If there is enough soil, someone gets assigned to this, while I
go foraging for ores.

4. Kiln + Forge - Just make one. I don't know why people make a kiln and a forge, it doesn't
really make things much faster. Make 3-4 bowls, 3-4 plates, and a nozzle. Adobe after each kiln session
so you get the charcoal.

5. Steel tools - Axe first, it makes forging the rest so much easier. I've gotten fast enough to the
point where I can forge an axe in two rounds, starting with no smithing hammer. It really does help to
be fast with this, like so:

Round 1: Prep 2 bowls with charcoal, and have a plate nearby. First ore gets pounded and immediately
gets turned into unforged crucible and then goes into the forge. Forge the second ore and toss it in the
other bowl and in the forge it goes.

Round 2: You have two ingots now. Prep a short shaft nearby. First ingot goes in, turned into smithing
hammer head. Wait for it to cool, then attach to smithing hammer and forge your axe with the second
ingot.

On a related note, forging is one of the most annoying things to do when people don't cooperate. Two
main things: do not construct your kiln/forge next to the oven or too close to the center of town.
Drives me crazy when there's a million pie crusts or just people moving around in front of the forge.
Also, do not assist anyone with forging unless they ask you to help.

6. Cart, Sheep Pen - As soon as the axe gets made, I switch to stuff needed for carts -- froe, chisel,
adaze, file, and blade blank, plus bow/arrow and cooked goose. Then sheep pen the traditional fence way,
or pein's idea for trash pens lol.

7. Sheep Farming/Mutton Pies/Wheat Fields -  Fill in the blanks for anything you're missing at this
point. Shears for wool, knitting needles, drop spindle. Shovel for sheep dung. Knife for murdering sheep.
Wheat for pies and compost. You should have berry bushes and carrots ready at this point.

8. Dyed Clothes, Gold, Roads/etc

I just had a run today where my Eve died and I had survived as a baby boy. I ended up starting a camp
from scratch following this process. I had a 2x3 milkweed farm, 2x3 carrot farm, and 3x3 berry farm. I was
able to forge a few tools, and left 4 ingots for whoever (hopefully) stumbles onto the settlement.

#7 2018-04-29 15:28:47

Thorware

aldraw wrote:

So this is what I got:

1. Fire, soil/seed, water skin or clay bowl (Carrot farm)

2. metal, backpack, pies

3. cart, cistern, clothes, milkweed farm

4. sheep, soil, berry farm

5. ?

Asking as much as highlighting.  What do you advanced players think?

Eve:
-Sharp stone, basket
-Reed skirt (skip if milkweed scarce)
-Fire bow drill, hatchet
-Scout farm location: Patch of desert near as many ponds as possible (at least 4) with grasslands nearby
-Kiln in grasslands, hopefully not too close to the planned farm location so bored noob farmers don't keep messing with your crafting, but not too far or nobody will find it
-Craft bowl for watering
-Move fertile soil near ponds, three rows is good
-Head to plains for three carrot seeds (in basket)
-Start farm
-Start keeping and raising children!

At this point your children might dictate what happens next, depending on if they are noobs or griefers or helpful or veterans...

Village progress:
-Stone hoe
-Mildly hidden small farm for carrot seeds
-Milkweed farm, I like to make 4x4 patches in various places so they don't all get griefed at once or hogged by one player making too many clothes. With deserts around, clothes are not that useful.
-Potentially bow and arrow(s) if there are bears or griefers
-Snare, cooked rabbit, needle, water pouch. Backpacks are a luxury, a basket is all you will usually need. Best use of backpack is to keep mission-critical items out of the hands of other players who tend to grab whatever you just made or fetched.
-Forge, Axe and Shovel to tidy up common areas, axe brings firewood to keep fire going, clear out the swamp area
-Steel hoe to replace stone hoe
-Next goal is compost. Boxes and carts won't do much to help your village survive so let someone else worry about those. Pies tend to get wasted by hungry children and griefers. So next is a berry farm. Don't make it too close to noob farm. Make plenty of bowls near it so you can ninja grab bowls of berries as soon as they are up before anybody picks them. Something like six berry bushes into six bowls of berries is good.
-Sheep pen (trash pit pen with shovel is very efficient, 2x2 is big enough), rope, bow and arrow if you don't have it yet. Kill mouflon, rope domestic mouflon into sheep pen, feed it.
-Chisel, goose oil, file, knife. This is a dangerous point for your village. Once a knife is out people will start getting all sorts of "creative" ideas. Ideally you could leave it near the sheep pen and people will know what it is for. Realistically you will probably need to keep it in a backpack until you die.
-Cycle the sheep, find some wild wheat, make compost, shovel dung, finally new soil!
-Wheat farm, this will be needed to keep compost going. Your village is now fairly sustainable.

Luxury goals (no order):
-Bell tower
-Pies
-Clothes (rabbit/wool/etc. Dyed wool is coolest)
-Boxes and carts
-Horses, horse carts, fence parking spaces
-Kill snakes for safety, fruit boots
-Spare tools
-Tons of weapons (Griefer deterrent, everyone can defend themselves? Or just sowing chaos?)
-Walls, floors, rooms, doors
-Gold crowns
-Roads

Never make wells or cisterns. They are too hard to use properly, too easy to ruin, too expensive, and provide too little benefit even if they are used right. The stones are better used to make stone hoes. You can only keep farming carrots as long as you can keep tilling the soil. The ten stones for a well or cistern would go a LOT farther as hoes to till soil.

#8 2018-04-29 15:53:12

Angel Carrillo

Pretty good. Just don't use wels or cisterns, and, where are the fences and forges + spare goods?

#9 2018-04-30 02:25:51

pein

i make the bellows right when the set of clay bowls and plates, 9 is manageable alone and even the coal at end, but if three players do it, one can take the finished product, two chuck in the wet ones, much more with less wood usage, setting up is important, just gather tons of clay, firewood
even iron is much better when one puts in the iron, puts on flat stone, and other hits with stone, ofc third could pick up, place in bowl, add coal, plate and 2 steps at a time can be made

delay pie as much as possible, has no benefit without tools, dont disturb the smith, keep their baskets, bowls and plates alone, often i see only one oven and a kiln with switching to forge, i prefer 2 kilns, 1 forge and oven further

keep a space between kilns and no natural blocking objects like tule reed, cactus or pond near, preferably desert edge so you eat less food
the key is low population, you are on limit, your branches to firewood last limited time, so you need to make the ax as fast as possible and preferably two more crucible every time, keep fire alive, gather curved shafts in basket, at least 9-12 or even more, its about player skill and location, adobe can be useful, so a big swamp a medium to big green and a desert edge the more mxied with other the better

one good thing to get used to is switching items, instead of dropping whatever you hold , picking other thing up, drop with right click, drop branches with right click to sharp stone, drop basket on carrot to eat, drop clay on round stone, then left click
learn things by doing it

and location, if its bad, you do a favor moving the farm, explaining to others why, they might help
doubble up on shovels and all the tools if you can, shovels allow fun stuff to be built
you need a lot of tiles with good temperature and always run to those to talk, think, do stuff

Last edited by pein (2018-04-30 02:26:41)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer