One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-22 19:20:03

blahwizard

Why do Landing Strips Decay?

Landing strips decay too quickly. For a while I was on a small server with a group of people and we used to use air planes to travel to each other's towns since they were far apart. However, the landing strips decay I think within just 2 hrs right now? So by the time you login the following day it's rendered useless, you'd basically need to communicate with someone outside of game or in phex chat to get them to create/refresh a landing strip for you at your destination.

I think especially with the way the big server is with families that don't die off in the far east, landing strips/airplanes need to be made more useful/worth crafting.

I'd suggest maybe a landing strip that isn't removed for a certain amount of time could become ancient? (with caveat it can still be removed with pickaxe just like current ancient walls)

#2 2024-01-27 21:29:06

Paradoxal_1

Re: Why do Landing Strips Decay?

I can answer this one, this is easy.

I will tell you the answer in the form of a short story...

A long time ago, when airplanes first came out, trolls were building landing strips inside very small rooms with locked doors.

The evil troll would come back and check on his trap once in a while and collect all the loot and sweep out all the old dead bodies and old airplanes parts, then reset his trap.

The cries of the victims were loud, and reached the ear of our Hero and protector.

The Hero thought long and hard about this problem, and then he had an idea.  The Hero hit landing strips with the 2 hour decay nerf and then bam, trolls gave up making the traps.

The Hero claps his hands with glee and declares problem solved with a big smile.

Everyone stopped using airplanes after that.

The End.

#3 2024-01-27 22:02:35

fug

The issue as shows is that it's very easy to trap them because how planes work. You pick a cardinal direction and the plane will land at the closest landing strip in that direction. This can be prevented by having a map but I never tested this function to see if it worked. Their distance also got limited to 20k and trucks just cost so much less to operate vs planes.

There really just needs to be a much higher tier of landing strip that has a toggle. The recipe for the landing strip is too easy to spam traps in every direction to stop them from working at all. Planes can't be useful at their current cost + the other issues.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2024-01-29 02:13:32

Paradoxal_1

I am onboard with the map idea.

Maybe game checks if any airstrip is within 10-20 steps of the map location, if so it will land on closest one.

That way it will not have to be exact location, but will still work if the landing strip is moved or if landing strip is crafted after the map was made.

Otherwise, exact location would be fine if that is easier.

Anything is better then crafting a new landing strip every 2hrs.

Also, I would like to see an update from a crude airplane to a more advanced plane.

Maybe a cargo plane with more item slots, or a passenger plane to bring a friend to visit your town, or a warplane to bring an army going to war with another town.

#5 2024-01-29 03:07:05

Spoonwood

Paradoxal_1 wrote:

Maybe a cargo plane with more item slots ...

Did you really just ask for that?  *headdesk*

"Regarding your issue it's pretty simple, if you think about it how does that make sense to have in the same world a group that already is at the end of the techtree and another one that just started their first berry farm?

It's as if Europe was using electricity, cars etc and America just discovered fire or the opposite, even supposing that this scenario exist what do you think would happen?

Would it make sense with our current history or just in general?

Of course there's going to be issues because it doesn't make any sense.

And this problem will only get worse the more stuff is added to the game.

New cargo plane added! [emphasis in original]

Let me pack it up with with every important tech in the game plus large ammounts of found, find the nearest Eve camp using the latest localisation radar and boost them from small camp to advanced civilisation."

- Dodge

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … 20#p102620

"Awbz told me that in multiplayer Terraria someone would be throwing advanced objects at players at early stages.  His complaint was "you shouldn't be able to have/do things that early".  It wasn't so much that someone was doing that, but one couldn't get away from such players and still player multiplayer Terraria.  In OHOL players use rubber tire horsecarts, or trucks to throw clothes, wood, "specialty" foods, tools etc. at players living in camps on a shallow well or deep well.  I've seen this happen  Or even, if I recall correctly, a cart gets used for a site's resources before the family living there even has made a steel file.  Also, the game is advertised as being about rebuilding from scratch with others, which makes such situations contradictory to what it gets advertised as ..."

- Spoonwood from the same link.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2024-01-29 03:19:20

fug

Paradoxal_1 wrote:

I am onboard with the map idea.

Maybe game checks if any airstrip is within 10-20 steps of the map location, if so it will land on closest one.

That way it will not have to be exact location, but will still work if the landing strip is moved or if landing strip is crafted after the map was made.

Otherwise, exact location would be fine if that is easier.

Anything is better then crafting a new landing strip every 2hrs.

Also, I would like to see an update from a crude airplane to a more advanced plane.

Maybe a cargo plane with more item slots, or a passenger plane to bring a friend to visit your town, or a warplane to bring an army going to war with another town.

The map thing isn't an idea, it's an actual mechanic. I have no idea if it works as I never tested it after Jason implemented it because planes aren't useful right now and that change was made because I quit playing because of how frustrating everything related to planes are.

You can't do any sort of multiple person transport in game. That's pretty much never going to happen or it would have been done by any of the off shoots of ohol.

To make them meta he just has to do what he did with trucks. Create an upgraded version that keeps running on landing. Make landing not use up the kerosene and make it so fuel lasts like 30 minutes. This way you can constantly move back and forth and not use up all the kerosene. You would still probably need a tier 2 level of landing pad but it would go a long way to make them more usable.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer