One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-28 19:29:31

ruanna

Is this a game or a memory clicking simulator?

Lack of strategy. Complexity comes from memorising long recipes and playing clicky mouse dance dance revolution

If you want trade, don’t make people run, make a trade building people can interact with and make offers, make a trader power, a carriage/npc horse auto transports the good.

If you want families to have differentiated traits give them tech trees leaders can spend genetic points in to upgrade our tech, unlock food recipes, upgrade the forge, the ovens, fences, walls. That also makes people invested in their families, and actually allows you to go from primitive civs to advanced, and not have bowler hatted men hitting metal on a stone on the grass. Make crafting recipes simpler, but unlocked with genetic points.

Example: level 1 trade building is a four square building, needs a horse. Can only trade x amount, to upgrade you need better tech and a horse cart, you can add more horse slots with two square building additions. Basic recipes use a oven, as you upgrade you make it into a building, insert grain and meat and more food comes out. Storage is no longer scattered all over. If you upgraded your family to make meat pies you can trade them with another family who might have upgraded something else. Trade should be automated like a pop up window.

As you unlock bigger and better tech the max zoom increases, so larger buildings actually make sense and the world looks more city like.

Last edited by ruanna (2020-10-28 20:05:53)

#2 2020-10-28 20:13:59

Dodge

Re: Is this a game or a memory clicking simulator?

What's interesting about trading with a machine or a building?

A big part of the interest is in the interaction you have with the other real life human player, finding an agreement that suits everyone, maybe you could offer a service instead or maybe i could give you that baby i just had but will the baby be happy about it, when he grows up what will he do?

Starting from a simple exchange of goods a potentially interesting life story has been created, instead of putting your object in some trading house and clicking on some button to exchange it.

Even if right now trading is a joke/wouldn't even call it trading at least it's not the same as every other game out there.

But i agree that the game is pretty uninteresting right now.

Maybe come back in a year or something.

#3 2020-10-28 20:17:01

ruanna

Game already has interaction, it gets old fast. Game does not have longevity or enough development from eve to end game.

Also I left a year ago, still not interested in coming back.

#4 2020-10-28 21:14:58

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Even if right now trading is a joke/wouldn't even call it trading at least it's not the same as every other game out there.

Awbz told me that in multiplayer Terraria someone would be throwing advanced objects at players at early stages.  His complaint was "you shouldn't be able to have/do things that early".  It wasn't so much that someone was doing that, but one couldn't get away from such players and still player multiplayer Terraria.  In OHOL players use rubber tire horsecarts, or trucks to throw clothes, wood, "specialty" foods, tools etc. at players living in camps on a shallow well or deep well.  I've seen this happen  Or even, if I recall correctly, a cart gets used for a site's resources before the family living there even has made a steel file.  Also, the game is advertised as being about rebuilding from scratch with others, which makes such situations contradictory to what it gets advertised as:

"Leave a legacy for the next generation as you help to rebuild civilization from scratch."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5956 … _One_Life/

I don't think that Terraria has it's success because of players throwing advanced type objects all over the place.

How is OHOL different with respect to "trading" than other games exactly Dodge?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-28 22:43:38)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-10-29 04:47:32

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Awbz told me that in multiplayer Terraria someone would be throwing advanced objects at players at early stages.  His complaint was "you shouldn't be able to have/do things that early".  It wasn't so much that someone was doing that, but one couldn't get away from such players and still player multiplayer Terraria.  In OHOL players use rubber tire horsecarts, or trucks to throw clothes, wood, "specialty" foods, tools etc. at players living in camps on a shallow well or deep well.  I've seen this happen  Or even, if I recall correctly, a cart gets used for a site's resources before the family living there even has made a steel file.  Also, the game is advertised as being about rebuilding from scratch with others, which makes such situations contradictory to what it gets advertised as:

"Leave a legacy for the next generation as you help to rebuild civilization from scratch."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5956 … _One_Life/

I don't think that Terraria has it's success because of players throwing advanced type objects all over the place.

How is OHOL different with respect to "trading" than other games exactly Dodge?

There's several differences try to think of another multiplayer game where you trade actual objects that each have been crafted individually and where you dont necessarly do it only for yourself but for other players aka your current family.

Regarding your issue it's pretty simple, if you think about it how does that make sense to have in the same world a group that already is at the end of the techtree and another one that just started their first berry farm?

It's as if Europe was using electricity, cars etc and America just discovered fire or the opposite, even supposing that this scenario exist what do you think would happen?

Would it make sense with our current history or just in general?

Of course there's going to be issues because it doesn't make any sense.

And this problem will only get worse the more stuff is added to the game.

New cargo plane added!

Let me pack it up with with every important tech in the game plus large ammounts of found, find the nearest Eve camp using the latest localisation radar and boost them from small camp to advanced civilisation.

#6 2020-10-29 12:53:35

Chestburster

Dodge wrote:

What's interesting about trading with a machine or a building?

A big part of the interest is in the interaction you have with the other real life human player, finding an agreement that suits everyone, maybe you could offer a service instead or maybe i could give you that baby i just had but will the baby be happy about it, when he grows up what will he do?

Starting from a simple exchange of goods a potentially interesting life story has been created, instead of putting your object in some trading house and clicking on some button to exchange it.

But i agree that the game is pretty uninteresting right now.

Maybe come back in a year or something.

At this point I feel like I just hate having to interact with players through chat in this game in general. I used to participate a lot more in the whole thing but the lull in actual fun gameplay and frustrating shortcomings with the chat system and such just wore me down over time to where I mostly just stick to crafting and building things to make the village better.

My children get a name and clothing I can create or find, and then left on their own once they are 3 regardless if they are new or not. I've just gotten so sick of teaching new players and having more and more them being expected to be taught the same exact thing every playthrough while never doing any of the learning themselves. Actually raising a child and teaching them is fun concept when you first start the game but by god does it get old quick. I honestly really just can't be assed at this point to help the players who yell for food and help with learning while starving right next to a berry bush when there's so many first lifers that can adequately play the game at a functional level without being taught anything because they read up on the game a bit first. I'm pretty sure the novelty of interacting with people in this game wears out on most of the other long term players in a similar way because the ones who are usually crafting things like radios and diesel engines usually all seem to be running around their entire life and never stopping to talk to anyone.

Even if I have to trade I mostly just run through their village on a horse or in a truck and take their biome expert items off the ground that aren't being used and drop my own in their place and hope they don't get mad and form a posse or something.
Trading or pretty much any other form of cooperation in this game basically consists of chasing people around who are busy performing tasks in their own village screaming for literally anyone to help you get the items you need and getting ignored or denied. After awhile you get someone who isn't occupied and can bother with helping you, and that's because they're usually new and you need to walk them through everything which can be pretty complicated for them when they're only just starting out. Last night I went to get sulfur and pretty much spent most of my life trying to get a few bowls of it after the first person died because they were too distracted with learning what they needed to do in the desert to feed themselves. I had to spend even more time pestering people because now my horse cart was trapped in the biome and someone had to get it out for me.

The sense of urgency people feel by the limited 1 hour playtime before you leave all your work behind combined with the finicky and easily missable chat function almost makes it seem like this game had to be purposely designed to work this poorly with trading to have so many mechanics put in that are just plain bad for it. It's annoying for the people who don't want to be dragged away from the projects they are working on just like it's annoying for the people who have to run around pestering people until someone feels like helping you. I can't see how anyone would enjoy this and so much of the structure and overall gameplay would need to changed to make it the least bit fun or rewarding for most people that would play this game. I'm really hoping by now that the pretentiously written "What I actually, generally need when you give me feedback about OHOL" sticky is just Jason's old way of thinking. He claimed to know the game better than the players did and not need their suggestions because he has more experience but hasn't been able show this at all really in his development of the game.

Last edited by Chestburster (2020-10-29 13:41:41)

#7 2020-10-29 13:56:54

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Regarding your issue it's pretty simple, if you think about it how does that make sense to have in the same world a group that already is at the end of the techtree and another one that just started their first berry farm?

It's as if Europe was using electricity, cars etc and America just discovered fire or the opposite, even supposing that this scenario exist what do you think would happen?

Would it make sense with our current history or just in general?

Of course there's going to be issues because it doesn't make any sense.

So much for Jason having vision on this matter.  I mean, if he had vision here he could see such how such would make a joke of out the "rebuilding from scratch" part as advertised on Steam. 

Dodge wrote:

And this problem will only get worse the more stuff is added to the game.

I don't think this problem would be quite so bad, at least not at certain times, if we had the old Eve spiral with families spreading out over time.  Or families just couldn't find each other.  At least not before cargo planes... yikes.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-10-29 14:01:20

Spoonwood

Chestburster wrote:

Even if I have to trade I mostly just run through their village on a horse or in a truck and take their biome expert items off the ground that aren't being used and drop my own in their place and hope they don't get mad and form a posse or something.
Trading or pretty much any other form of cooperation in this game basically consists of chasing people around who are busy performing tasks in their own village screaming for literally anyone to help you get the items you need and getting ignored or denied. After awhile you get someone who isn't occupied and can bother with helping you, and that's because they're usually new and you need to walk them through everything which can be pretty complicated for them when they're only just starting out. Last night I went to get sulfur and pretty much spent most of my life trying to get a few bowls of it after the first person died because they were too distracted with learning what they needed to do in the desert to feed themselves. I had to spend even more time pestering people because now my horse cart was trapped in the biome and someone had to get it out for me.

The sense of urgency people feel by the limited 1 hour playtime before you leave all your work behind combined with the finicky and easily missable chat function almost makes it seem like this game had to be purposely designed to work this poorly with trading to have so many mechanics put in that are just plain bad for it. It's annoying for the people who don't want to be dragged away from the projects they are working on just like it's annoying for the people who have to run around pestering people until someone feels like helping you. I can't see how anyone would enjoy this and so much of the structure and overall gameplay would need to changed to make it the least bit fun or rewarding for most people that would play this game. I'm really hoping by now that the pretentiously written "What I actually, generally need when you give me feedback about OHOL" sticky is just Jason's old way of thinking. He claimed to know the game better than the players did and not need their suggestions because he has more experience but hasn't been able show this at all really in his development of the game.

Quoted for emphasis.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer