One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-28 20:27:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Photo Processing

ACvoNiJ.png

Photography has been part of the game since 2019, but the photos themselves were somewhat ephemeral.  After the click of the camera, the image itself disappeared from the game world and appeared in a permanent archive on the public-facing website.  This was cool, in that otherwise-undocumented and invisible moments from inside the game world could produce a kind of permanent record visible outside of the game.

However, the fact that photographs worked this way was a little magical and weird.  You put photo paper into the camera, but took nothing out.  After taking a photo, you ended up with an empty camera.

While it was cool that in-depth photo chemistry was represented in the game (making photo-sensitive silver nitrate solution from scratch), some important real-world steps were omitted.  What about fixing the negative?  What about making positives?

The photo chemicals in the game start out clear and become dark when they get exposed to light.  Essentially, light breaks up the molecules, releasing elemental silver.  When more light produces a darker spot on the paper, we get a negative image.

Of course, once you have a negative, you're not done yet.  If you wave it around out in the open, it will get exposed to more light, making it darker and darker.  By soaking it in a fixer, the remaining unexposed photo chemicals are dissolved, which halts the darkening process.  After that, you have a negative that is safe to look at under normal lighting conditions.

To get a positive, you need to make a contact print with another piece of photo paper.  The light areas in the negative let more light through, which creates darker areas in the positive print.  And of course, you need to fix the positive too before looking at it.  After that, you have your finished photograph.

All that said, photographs, both positive and negative, are now objects in the game that can be stored, traded, moved from place to place, and looked at by whoever handles them.  A full-resolution version  pops into view on the client whenever you handle a photograph.

And by using one negative to make multiple contact prints, you can duplicate a photograph as many times as you want.

Imagine visiting an abandoned village and rifling through a storage box to find photographs of the people who used to live there.  Imagine viewing a photograph of your own great great grandmother.  These things, and more, are possible now.

#2 2023-07-28 20:33:21

jinbaili83

Re: Update: Photo Processing

When do photographs upload to website ? Like before or only after developing photo?

#3 2023-07-28 23:55:06

QuirkySmirkyIan

Yo photos don't work

The photograph object does absolutely nothing even on vanilla. Checked for a popup and or a difference in pixels on the photo does none. Some of the normal photos taken weren't even showing on the website. On the stage where you retrieve the photo from the camera it was briefly saying NO INFORMATION then I went to vanilla and it gave steps but no photograph.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#4 2023-07-29 06:52:51

Wotte60

The idea is super !

But it's actually show nothing when we hold the photograph (even without any mod).

I can't wait to see what it will give and how it will influence the role play !
Thanks for this !

In the future you will make a slide projector ? could be nice big_smile but probably need plastic before that ( or maybe they was a way with glass )

#5 2023-08-08 16:41:38

seth

Looks like the trolls are using Photos now, just saw a racial slur on the main photos page - can we get a report button?
Here is the photo in question: http://photos.onehouronelife.com/photos … ff053e.jpg

#6 2023-08-09 12:04:40

Strilar

seth wrote:

Looks like the trolls are using Photos now, just saw a racial slur on the main photos page - can we get a report button?
Here is the photo in question: http://photos.onehouronelife.com/photos … ff053e.jpg

Yes please. Freedom of Speech doesn't give people the right to be toxic or hurtful.
Would be nice to play a game where people care and respect each other.
To be honest OHOL is the #1 game in my opinion for that, hence why i love it so much, but there's always room for improvement. :-)

It would be wonderful to have a "Player Code of Conduct" like Palia does, but sadly I don't think Jason will ever enforce that.

I've also reported several offensive and toxic posts on this forum, i haven't seen anything done about it yet either :-(

#7 2023-08-09 15:31:39

QuirkySmirkyIan

Strilar wrote:

Yes please. Freedom of Speech doesn't give people the right to be toxic or hurtful.

No, Freedom of Speech IS HATE SPEECH. If you take away the right for someone to say specific words then you do not have free speech. Who determines what is hateful speech? A federal government that is corrupt? Your average twitter oh I mean x user? What if these words are used for educational or critical purposes? Have you seen the one from the UK where the woman gets arrested for posting a lyrics of a rap song that contains the N word? The left doesn't like the police either and they consider them "racist" so who's to say the racist authorities wouldn't use the hate speech laws to arrest black people easier and they even used the words more.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#8 2023-08-10 04:10:10

TheOneTrueKing

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:
Strilar wrote:

No, Freedom of Speech IS HATE SPEECH. If you take away the right for someone to say specific words then you do not have free speech. Who determines what is hateful speech? A federal government that is corrupt? Your average twitter oh I mean x user? What if these words are used for educational or critical purposes? Have you seen the one from the UK where the woman gets arrested for posting a lyrics of a rap song that contains the N word? The left doesn't like the police either and they consider them "racist" so who's to say the racist authorities wouldn't use the hate speech laws to arrest black people easier and they even used the words more.

you're about as crazy as the creator, wouldn't doubt this is him in disguise.

#9 2023-08-10 04:11:10

TheOneTrueKing

Strilar wrote:
seth wrote:

Would be nice to play a game where people care and respect each other.
To be honest OHOL is the #1 game in my opinion for that, hence why i love it so much, but there's always room for improvement. :-)

It would be wonderful to have a "Player Code of Conduct" like Palia does, but sadly I don't think Jason will ever enforce that.

I've also reported several offensive and toxic posts on this forum, i haven't seen anything done about it yet either :-(

lol "#1 game...for that" yeah, curse/ban people for 5 years cuz they ate your pie. lol ok, another nutjob

Board footer