One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-01 05:25:39

LiberatedAmon

Editing Graphics and Sprites

Can i edit the images in the game folder to change the graphics, or is it more complicated than that?

Last edited by LiberatedAmon (2023-03-01 05:29:36)

#2 2023-03-01 17:40:44

jinbaili83

Re: Editing Graphics and Sprites

Short answer is yes.

Every object in game is made of sprites, some object have unique sprites other reuse existing ones.
If you replace commonly used sprite it will affect many objects.
Sprites use TGA uncompressed format, dimensions must be power of 2 .
After making changes to game files cache files must be deleted , game will then rebuild them using new files.

Game crash - missing files
Black screen - image compression
Blurry textures - wrong image size

It is possible to change how object will look by changing what sprites it is made of and even add totally new sprites for it.

#3 2023-03-06 15:15:55

LiberatedAmon

Okay it must have been the cache that made my test edit not work. Thanks

#4 2023-03-09 11:44:48

pein

tga, uncompressed and also the points are 90 degree turned sideways, no layers, need to flatten them, no messing with alpha channels too much, might ruin them
some things need the exact size, like 1mb for biome backgrounds, not sure why, they might turn out discolored ingame otherwise
Jason used Magickimick or whatever is the name, it's linux and free
I much rather preferred gimp2 for saving the files, since people modded other games (city skylinines?) they added the feature to save uncompressed, also the ordering of dots is the default one but the original tga format would be different elsewhere
you can use whatever format and picture editor for the making, just save it again in gimp2, I generally done PNG as it has the transparent parts just as tga, saving with gimp was easy if the sizes match, just drop the picture on top, delete bottom layer and 'export as'
there are additional tricks, like setting the text from 0 to 1 to make something transparent or non transparent, then it can go overlay instead of cutting off the overhanging parts. that was used with my original underwear sprites.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer