One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-16 09:25:18

Wood

How to cope with boredom

Before the pea brains respond with "If you're bored, don't play" or otherwise just assume i'm a troll, I'm not. I'm referring to long time players who don't grief. How do you do the same things over and over and not get bored with the lack of new content?

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

#2 2022-05-16 23:45:27

Eve Troll

Re: How to cope with boredom

Honestly, I didn't do the same thing over and over. I got sick of it quickly and it would get frustrated seeing so much effort go to waste. Or as least have little impact beyond prolonging others life for a couple hours. So maybe im not a good example of how to cope with monotony.

That said, how I coped with boredom with the game was typically to do niche or uncommon things that made a long impact on the game and its community. I would look at what lasted the longest and what could be seen and valuable beyond a few hour.

My go to was always clothing. Specifically dyed clothing. One of my biggest accomplishments with the game was making close to 80 full sets of dyed clothes with dyed roses for each hat. Every set had a different scheme for each family. Then they were mass dumped on every family. They lasted for a week or two, i forget.

But honestly its almost impossible to combat boredom in this game when things get repetitive. My suggestion is finding something fun or that you enjoy doing and going over the top with it. Take breaks. Pop in to make a big impact and never take things too seriously. Otherwise its just a recipe for burn out and heart break.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2022-05-16 23:47:28)

#3 2022-05-25 12:08:25

Spoonwood

2HOL has new content.

It also has more people playing during the past two days (at two points during those days at least), if not longer, with likely smaller family sizes than OHOL.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2022-05-27 04:36:00

Wood

Spoonwood wrote:

2HOL has new content.

It also has more people playing during the past two days (at two points during those days at least), if not longer, with likely smaller family sizes than OHOL.

2HOL is fucking boring.  2 hours is way too long and shits just confusing.

Last edited by Wood (2022-05-27 04:38:10)

#5 2022-05-27 12:10:03

Spoonwood

Wood wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

2HOL has new content.

There's no rule that you have to play that for 2 hours at a time.  Nor is there any genetic score penalty for stopping early.  You can exit the game anytime, at any age, by using '/die', and you'll get the death screen with a message that says "killed by you".

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2022-05-28 22:16:57

Arcurus

Wood wrote:

What is confusing?

#7 2022-05-29 01:06:55

Eve Troll

I presume they means the content is clunky and over-saturated. To the point of reducing the challenge and cut throat nature of the original game. You wont find many people ready to stab you over trivial things in 2hol. Let alone a large enough community of centralized players to enable interesting interactions. The chaos and difficulty scale is what attracted me to ohol and what I presume others as well. In my experience 2hol is more of a creative mode. More content with less stakes involved.

#8 2022-05-29 01:21:02

Arcurus

Eve Troll wrote:

I presume they means the content is clunky and over-saturated. To the point of reducing the challenge and cut throat nature of the original game. You wont find many people ready to stab you over trivial things in 2hol. Let alone a large enough community of centralized players to enable interesting interactions. The chaos and difficulty scale is what attracted me to ohol and what I presume others as well. In my experience 2hol is more of a creative mode. More content with less stakes involved.

you mean its too less challenging? I felt the same, but i did mainly watch videos and read the changelogs...
I wanted to have a more challenging experience like OHOL was before all the nerfs so i try now to make a custom server.

What you mean with "centralized players to enable interesting interactions"?

I think combat is forbidden in 2HOL though banning...
I also love the "chaos" in OHOL if life gets really really hard but you can still do something about it...
I love some of the content of 2HOL and would love to see it in OHOL or in a hardcore OHOL.

You mean there is too much content, or just not well designed contend? Or not well drawn content? Or just not fitting content?

Last edited by Arcurus (2022-05-29 01:21:37)

#9 2022-05-29 04:16:23

Wood

Eve Troll wrote:

yeah true. I also just think 2 hours is too long.

#10 2022-05-29 09:19:53

Arcurus

Wood wrote:

yeah true. I also just think 2 hours is too long.

me too

#11 2022-06-07 09:25:38

pein

you could stop any time

I play YAH on emulator, I'm slower than usual and got to work side to side when combining. has the spiral and the old good mechanics, and some quality of life changes. most players are dog water tho, as you can imagine. there is a mechanic that you mark a town for your spawn so you get back if someone buries your bones and you play 10 minutes meanwhile. it's not 100% to get back but it's still fun to continue your town and sometimes play with others.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2022-06-07 12:05:04

Arcurus

pein wrote:

you could stop any time

I play YAH on emulator, I'm slower than usual and got to work side to side when combining. has the spiral and the old good mechanics, and some quality of life changes. most players are dog water tho, as you can imagine. there is a mechanic that you mark a town for your spawn so you get back if someone buries your bones and you play 10 minutes meanwhile. it's not 100% to get back but it's still fun to continue your town and sometimes play with others.

YAH? Link?

#13 2022-06-15 10:44:54

QuirkySmirkyIan

Hey Arcurus and Eve Troll, YAH is the mobile spinoff for OHOL made by Dual Decade. It's "legal" they just can't add any modern content. It's 5 dollars on the app store I think. It gets a significant amount of players although mostly Japanese. There is a lot of modded content such as bees, cakes, rice, big torches that last for hours, bricks, modern backpacks, large bowls and plates, baby bottles that babies can drink out of and more. Also if your looking for a game similar in the genre that's more of a challenge Dual Decade is working on a game on steam called In Next Life, I think the price is like 11 dollars? It doesn't have a lot of content right now but it runs off of a completely different engine and nothing is shared with Jason. It is very similar to onehouronelife and also animals will try to eat you as a challenge. The devs are currently working on a harder gamemode and 1 of the mechanics of it is you will have a certain amount of lives and if your tribe runs out of lives you lose your family. I'm sure there will be other challenges I heard a while back that the lifespan currently 70 years old (70 minutes) might be based on your lives activities such as diet (I think I'm thinking of In Next Life and not Survive Together???) Also the game gets consistent updates every 2 weeks to 2 months. In just a few months of being released it already has triple the amount of content as OHOL when it was first released.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#14 2022-06-15 18:20:34

pein

Arcurus wrote:
pein wrote:

you could stop any time

YAH? Link?

you are hope, the mobile game by dual decade, it's not free but quite cheap

but since it's android I got to emulate it
best performance you would get on  Fyde OS
but since their controls are so bad, the crafting is diagonal swipe, undressing reverse, and the lifting containers is up swipe, the best way to control is Bluestacks, or in my case MSI AppPlayer (minimalist blue stacks for MSI), it can recognize the advanced keyboard controls, it's based on pixels and screen size, so it can be wonky with small items but after a bit of messing around I found the right coordinates for items and 90% does what i want to do. only that each direction and creation combo would need a key so I limited myself to left right up and then drop (actually got some special drop actions but I don't use them often), take clothing, eat, chat.
also got some emote macros smile

I'm used to the swipes now and I rather swipe sometimes than to walk over it and lift with a key, but I find it quite annoying
working side to side makes me slower, like I can do 7-8 plates/iron with a fire, but that's fine.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2022-06-29 18:49:52

Sovietico21

Every time i enter this game, i cant even stand to play for more than 1 hour, its been downhill since donkey town update.

#16 2022-06-29 21:29:48

fug

Sounds like the game is working as intended then.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#17 2022-06-30 08:20:37

Wood

Sovietico21 wrote:

Every time i enter this game, i cant even stand to play for more than 1 hour, its been downhill since donkey town update.

I agree with you, I only play every once in awhile. Conflict is the only break from doing monotonous tasks over and over. I preferred it when things were more chaotic.

Board footer