One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-17 20:29:58

riddle

Private Server - Shallow Well reverts to Well Site after death

Basically what the title says.

This is happening on my private server. Every time I die, the well that I dug loses a stone and reverts back to an unclaimed well site. I'm worried that if I make it into a deep well, it will do the same.

The only settings that I've changed are secondsPerYear and forceEveLocationX/Y, so I have no idea why this would happen. I've never had this problem before.

Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated!

#2 2022-05-17 20:54:22

Eve Troll

Re: Private Server - Shallow Well reverts to Well Site after death

Wells are tied to families. So if the family dies out the well will reset after 30 minutes like you are experiencing. There are some stages in deep well where it wont reset but it sometimes will. On the bright side you can get unlimited early stage water with only the cost of a round stone. I suggest making cisterns and collecting the water each time before the reset. When you reach newcommen or engine stage with the well it does not reset.

There may be a way to adjust the time in which it takes for the well to decay to the stone pile. In a way this can be annoying but it can also be a blessing with the amount of early stage water you can collect over and over.

Another tip, decay transitions only happen when the area is rendered. So say for example you died and you had a fire going, it would only transition to the next stage once the area is rendered. If its a small fire it would turn to hot coals, big fire would turn into a small fire next time you render the area. This can be useful for a variety of things that use timed transitions. Like roses for example. A rose seed would turn from pink to red the next time you logged in if its been more than an hour. Same for red to white. Additionally, you can cull regions by not rendering them for an extended period of time and they will reset back to their native state. This can be used to reset oil, iron, and other resources.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2022-05-17 23:06:48)

#3 2022-05-18 08:07:23

pein

would be interesting to wall off an area after moving out resources, just to force respawns on it. but I guess it has to be outside visibility range too and if I remember right, they are in chunks of like 13x13? or smaller? so the wall should be outside the biome and the chunk

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2022-05-20 04:08:20

riddle

Eve Troll wrote:

Wells are tied to families. So if the family dies out the well will reset after 30 minutes like you are experiencing. There are some stages in deep well where it wont reset but it sometimes will. On the bright side you can get unlimited early stage water with only the cost of a round stone. I suggest making cisterns and collecting the water each time before the reset. When you reach newcommen or engine stage with the well it does not reset.

Ok, good to know. It's not that big of a deal but it's a bit annoying.

Eve Troll wrote:

Another tip, decay transitions only happen when the area is rendered. So say for example you died and you had a fire going, it would only transition to the next stage once the area is rendered. If its a small fire it would turn to hot coals, big fire would turn into a small fire next time you render the area. This can be useful for a variety of things that use timed transitions. Like roses for example. A rose seed would turn from pink to red the next time you logged in if its been more than an hour. Same for red to white. Additionally, you can cull regions by not rendering them for an extended period of time and they will reset back to their native state. This can be used to reset oil, iron, and other resources.

I've noticed that actually. Even when my server's shut down, things seem to decay. I don't bother making fur clothes for that reason, because the moment I log off, the next time I come back they're rubbish, even if I only had them for an hour while playing.

I'm wondering if there's a way to turn that off? It's super frustrating. I stopped playing one of my more advanced servers for like a month and when I came back to it, the whole town was gone. It was like it just reset (though I'm still not sure if that was because of natural decay, or something else.)

Anyway, thanks for the advice! Appreicate it.

#5 2022-05-25 13:09:16

Spoonwood

2HOL doesn't have well reset or well tapout.  It also doesn't have clothing decay, with the exception of the reed backpack which is unique to 2HOL I believe.  It has a deeper mining system, with bronze based tools before steel tools.  It's also free to download.  Here's the link: https://twohoursonelife.com/

You also can use a seed to start in a part of the map every single life (someone else could end up there *by coincidence*).  If you say 'NO BB' you won't have any children after that.  Destructive players also get banned, as 2HOL has rules.

And it's free.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2022-05-25 13:13:55)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer