One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-20 19:21:07

Goliath

One hour one life Mobile? Anyone else gave it a run?

"This game is from DualDecade, but is based on a PC game called "ONE HOUR ONE LIFE", which was made by one single person: Jason Rohrer. He has put his work into the public domain, so others can use it.

Jason is not at all involved in making this mobile game though, and has not specifically approved any of the changes and additions we have decided to make.

The game world is running on Dual Decade servers."
-Opening Page

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … .evolution

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#2 2022-02-20 22:24:13

DestinyCall

Re: One hour one life Mobile? Anyone else gave it a run?

"You are Hope", huh?

Never heard of it.

#3 2022-02-20 23:06:53

Goliath

Yeah, it's pretty fun but it's not as advanced as the PC version.

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#4 2022-02-21 14:41:55

Laggy

Why pay 4 bucks for a mobile version of a dead game?

Seeing how OHOL only has 30 players max nowadays, how many people are playing a knock mobile version?

I'm will to bet no one is playing.

#5 2022-02-23 04:10:57

WumboJumbo

Laggy wrote:

Why pay 4 bucks for a mobile version of a dead game?

Seeing how OHOL only has 30 players max nowadays, how many people are playing a knock mobile version?

I'm will to bet no one is playing.

Tell them that and see what they say: https://forum.youarehope.app/

(The app is quite popular amongst audiences over in Asia)

They're working on a new game anyway: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=10362

#6 2022-02-23 04:11:57

WumboJumbo

DestinyCall wrote:

"You are Hope", huh?

Never heard of it.

/s?

#7 2022-02-23 14:54:07

DestinyCall

WumboJumbo wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

"You are Hope", huh?

Never heard of it.

/s?

;-)

#8 2022-03-09 07:18:41

pein

I installed it on an emulator and had a few macros to do certain actions faster. the swiping there is really weird, never got used to it, never wanted to get used to it. would be hard to hold a phone for an hour and get shit done.

Sadly my laptop got broken and the settings lost, had to guess and test and manually set up coordinates that work for most items, like picking up a needle or a branch with a key, or doing work to the left or right, was quite a few keyboard shortcuts. Didn't had the mood to do it again.

It was actually nice with the old mechanics, and no racism and stupid maps, no biome lock, also you can go back to your base with a plant leaf found in jungles put on the home marker, you could even plant one of it each time but only water it when you use it, and hide it somewhat so people don't mess it up.

The community is less toxic, but there aren't too many players and it's way more laid back since it's hard to click a lot.

They are making their new game which is completely new graphics, new items, it's similar but you got some chance of fail when crafting so you have to repeat actions, but it gives better proficiency over time so you are more likely to succed next time, in things like hunting, matters a lot, on other things is just mildly helpful. it carries over lives. I tried the alpha but wasn't many players, but it looks quite good.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2022-04-16 14:55:43

Mitokandria

So i actually just finished going down the rabbit hole that is the unofficial mobile port before seeing this. This thread actually manages to contain both of the major concerns og dev and mobile dev had against each other:

og dev  was worried people would assume it was a 1:1 official port with his seal of quality and support which is not the case. Also that it would present copyright and trademark claim issues outside of English speaking markers.

Fan port devs were concerned with being labeled as "illicit", "knock offs" or "scam artists" which are all very bad terms to have associated to a dev teams reputation and potential for revenue with the current and future projects. It gives the idea that it is poor quality and only a cash grab attempt.

Game is not a "knock off", but it is not an official port. It is a fan port using custom servers. The change in name and very specific wording in the description were an attempt to compromise between the fan port devs and the og dev.

Our Last Hope is a fairly faithful fan port. There are some minor game changes that were required to translate to new os's, input method, and form factor; but the core gameplay is intact.  It may seem a bit odd that they are charging for it, but considering that the fan port devs did all of the programming, pay for their own servers, and maintain it (updates and bugfixes to keep in line with og version) it is a very reasonable price.

The game controls using swipe gestures which is not a great control method. It's a very old industry standard of mobile game development that has since been replaced by emulated joysticks and emulated on screen buttons.

The graphics / art style seem to have been adjusted a bit and comes off more as Dont Starve-esque, but i think that is primarily due to smaller screen size making the hiding the fine details.

I don't know about now, but the fan port had similar numbers to the og version in 2019, with most of us player base being from Chinese market and surrounding regions. Because of the different controls the game pace is slower for everyone regardless of experience which results in a more chill vibe amongst players.

If you are already familiar with the original game you will probably find Our Last Hope to be just as enjoyable, but it will take a lot of adjusting to get used to the very different controls and minor gameplay changes. There was a review starting the game installed a ton of trackers unrelated to game mechanics though. I don't have the desire to buy the game and then use a packet sniffer to confirm so take that with a healthy dose of salt.

(Og dev and DD Devs, my intent is not to open old wounds, but to attempt to show things are not black and white as "one is real and the other is a fake")

Last edited by Mitokandria (2022-04-16 15:19:15)

Board footer