One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-24 23:12:29

forman

New Pen Design: Separate Sheep Pens

Say goodbye to sheep jumping onto tiles you are trying to use and the end of mouflon griefing

Six is the max number of bowls of mash that fit in a bucket and therefore the most sheep needed

Each cell has two tiles allowing space for sheep dung

Note the mouflon at the back with a gate to prevent killing

sheep pen

#2 2021-11-25 07:44:58

JasonZ

Re: New Pen Design: Separate Sheep Pens

Pein?

#3 2021-11-25 11:37:41

jinbaili83

Top and bottom left sheep can escape if gate gets opened manually. You need to move box one tile up.

Last edited by jinbaili83 (2021-11-25 11:38:25)

#4 2021-11-25 12:32:18

forman

jinbaili83 wrote:

Top and bottom left sheep can escape if gate gets opened manually. You need to move box one tile up.

none ever escaped -- which cells are you talking about?

#5 2021-11-25 13:55:59

jinbaili83

My bad i checked transitions and fence gates always block moving. I was sure it can be opened permanently.

#6 2021-11-25 14:16:49

Laggy

This is the dumbest... you made a pen that has 12 spaces, yet takes up half the town because of all the dumb individual pens.

Yes you can pen a mouflon, that doesn't mean you need to make sheep apartments...

Last edited by Laggy (2021-11-25 14:17:12)

#7 2021-11-25 15:11:32

forman

Laggy wrote:

This is the dumbest... you made a pen that has 12 spaces, yet takes up half the town because of all the dumb individual pens.

Yes you can pen a mouflon, that doesn't mean you need to make sheep apartments...

pen 'space' is always a lot, laggy

all I've done is squeeze all of the sheep into the edges of that 'space'

you can either be roaming around with the sheep, trying to pick shit up in that shared space (terrible), or separate it

#8 2021-11-25 18:23:55

QuirkySmirkyIan

Good idea in theory but how is the average person supposed to feed the baby sheep from the mouflon as that is the most efficient way of producing babies. Anti griefing measures shouldn't hinder the ability to save resources and be efficient as that is griefing technically.

*Edit: Don't tell me the only person who should be making more sheep is the gate owner as that would be very annoying if the gate owner isn't the chef.

Last edited by QuirkySmirkyIan (2021-11-25 18:25:09)

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#9 2021-11-25 19:02:55

fug

A mouflon pen can just be a 3x1. Place a rope in one tile, leave one open and the last tile is the mouflon.

Mouflon will spawn a baby who will walk back and forth between the rope tile and empty tile refreshing its timer. Eventually your pen will be a mouflon, a permanently fresh lamb, and a  dead/living lamb in the last spot. Just use the rope on the lamb to bring out a baby when you need it.

Last edited by fug (2021-11-25 21:53:49)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#10 2021-11-25 20:17:17

forman

fug wrote:

A mouflon pen can just be a 3x1.

I didn't know about the rope resetting the timer, that's cool

I've considered just doing 6x1 for the sheep too, it's not like you need that much dung and the lambs produce it enough

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

Don't tell me the only person who should be making more sheep is the gate owner

the misconception here is that you need loads of sheep

as I mentioned, 6 is the max amount of mash that goes in a bucket so all you really need is six sheep for making wool

If the chef needs for meat,  he can take one of the six and then gate owner can replace

Truth is, mutton tends to pile up real quick so the need for sheep in the kitchen is very rare

Multiple people could also share the gate, multiple sheep can be bred and left in the locked mouflon pen as backup

Also in the extremely rare instance where you need to replace a sheep and there is no gate owner around, you can still feed sheep mash twice to get lamb -- I'm pretty sure?

If we just appreciate how few sheep we actually need, one could consider not even bothering with a mouflon which makes this even simpler

#11 2021-12-09 21:29:51

pein

JasonZ wrote:

Pein?

who dared to summon me? big_smile

I like it if it's unique, the gates are blocked from clicking so there is no way to open it manually. only it's not a final solution so it's not a good long term solution.
people like it easy and final.

anti griefing methods are just for you, and since you rarely get back is a lot of time for not much value
but maybe some smart people talking trough the modded chats can do something about it

but  normally you just hide the mouflon in a small biome and that does the job, or lock it up in a small non griefeable room

dunno what jason did but he changed something. it was an interesting concept that sheared sheep was stuck in biome and unsheared wasn't, I don't think it works anymore. I was building pens on biome borders because of it

I think the best pens aren't too big, but bigger than that. nothing wrong with multiple pens, it should be the norm. a smaller one further with all the berry, some berry for show, but mostly other foods on center of town. nobody plays for efficiency, so it's not happening. I like modular designs that allow extending over time, like 1-2 walls can be moved or removed and extended.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2021-12-11 02:09:20

Eve Troll

If you want to avoid having griefers killing the muflon just dont have it in town. Most griefers arnt super detail oriented so if you have a few tamed muflon floating around a little ways out of town you're all good. Anyone who goes out looking for a muflon will see them and just rope a baby back. If space is an issue just build a pen out of tables.

Board footer