One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-26 02:28:35

Gremlynn

What was your hook?

I think we all had that moment that hooked us. I'm curious what your experience that really got you invested in this game. Was it a certain life, a certain mechanic, the community, an individual you met in game, a satisfying task, etc.

For me it was my first eve run. The server was bugged and the read write function was glitched. Anything we made would reset after about 5 min. It resulted in a lot of nomadic fams that just explored checking out stuff. The natural food would never run out so food was unlimited and we could all eat our fill off of one plant. I played all night. One fam we all just hung on the desert edge eating berries, chilling, and chatting. Another we explored for thousands of tiles, sticking together. That companionship and community element felt unfiltered in that environment and it felt apocalyptic. Surviving by the seat of our pants and having fun together. Brought in the weight of family and community that made me fall in love with the game. Eventually i became a strong eve. Especially in the rift times. Many of you might remember me from then. I was last fam more than most. Maybe 20 something times. Mostly during the early arcs. I loved that stuff. Since its been lost and families are really only defined by their race. Its depressing. The restrictions in tie with eveing and family weight is what has turned me off since.

I want to hear your stories and what got you invested in this chaotic mess of a game.

Last edited by Gremlynn (2021-06-26 02:30:45)

#2 2021-06-26 14:14:20

wondible

Re: What was your hook?

I saw someone streaming it on launch. Many lives were either eve or eve baby - often abandoned. Early success depended on finding a good berry patch. Beyond that carrots were king, smithing was kind of advanced, and just as few people knew how to make pies. Back then babies could be any skin color, and there was even a bug that made it more likely than not. Everyone was also anonymous - no names or family relations. It was much more pure "throw some strangers together with survival challenges", and I hadn't seen anything like it before.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#3 2021-06-26 15:52:44

jinbaili83

What caught my eye was an old art style(by Tom) in some interview with Jason about the game. Multiplayer survival in unlimited world with total strangers and permadeath that was something i never seen before. I had to get Paypal account and wait few days before i could play it. At first nobody had idea how to survive aside from eating berries. There was no guides like onetech so you had to rely on what people showed you in game or forums. Discovering the game with others and shearing your experiences in community was the another fun aspect of the game.

#4 2021-06-27 03:02:13

LilyFox

Strangely enough, it was a random roleplaying experience.

I was still very new at that time and the only thing I knew how to do was carrot farming (which I was very proud of since it already seemed to make me so much more useful than some of my berry munching family members). The other thing I knew was that you seemed to get more babies if you stayed near the nursery fire, so I was just hanging around there waiting for someone to pop out.

At one point a guy showed up and just started roleplaying as my husband out of nowhere. I thought he was a little weird at first but then decided to go along with it because I had nothing better to do anyway and our fam had more than enough carrots lying around. At one point I got a son who decided play along, so it was like we had a little family. I was genuinely surprised how nice it felt, even if it was just random players in a game that would soon become strangers after the hour was over. When my husband died before me, I actually felt sad. I asked my son how to make a grave for him and buried him with my own hands. Shortly after I died as well and my son buried me right next to him, which I discovered in a later life when that family had already died out. I still remember coming back to those two graves and feeling a bittersweet touch of melancholy thinking about the life I left behind.

Thinking back now, that was probably the moment I realized the meaning of “family building” in this game and that it could be so much more than getting confused by the crafting system and trying your  best not to starve. I had many more great lives after that but this particular one is just special to me. In fact, even my nickname is a slight variant of the name I had back then lol.

#5 2021-06-28 18:29:46

Spoonwood

jinbaili83 wrote:

There was no guides like onetech so you had to rely on what people showed you in game or forums. Discovering the game with others and shearing your experiences in community was the another fun aspect of the game.

I can't tell if that's a Freudian slip or a deliberate strange use of words based on your image.  I'm guessing the later.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2021-06-28 18:53:24

Spoonwood

LilyFox wrote:

At one point a guy showed up and just started roleplaying as my husband out of nowhere. I thought he was a little weird at first but then decided to go along with it because I had nothing better to do anyway and our fam had more than enough carrots lying around. At one point I got a son who decided play along, so it was like we had a little family. I was genuinely surprised how nice it felt, even if it was just random players in a game that would soon become strangers after the hour was over. When my husband died before me, I actually felt sad. I asked my son how to make a grave for him and buried him with my own hands. Shortly after I died as well and my son buried me right next to him, which I discovered in a later life when that family had already died out. I still remember coming back to those two graves and feeling a bittersweet touch of melancholy thinking about the life I left behind.

This is largely, if not entirely, roleplaying and not part of the intended experience of the game, or at least disliked by Mr. Rohrer (he has said before that he doesn't like roleplaying that he prefers so-called "real-play").  Also, it wasn't done for in-game reasons (no goals or achievements for doing such things).  It's not an effect of the game and understanding its mechanics, but rather a result of a transference effect of how you are/how society perceives things.  It seems poor from the perspective of playing for the survival for other players or yourself, because it took time away from either doing what is necessary to survive or making it easier to survive.

LilyFox wrote:

Thinking back now, that was probably the moment I realized the meaning of “family building” in this game and that it could be so much more than getting confused by the crafting system and trying your  best not to starve.

I don't see how it could for this game, since it doesn't motivate such behavior at all, other than by the naming of the smaller character as "baby", "son", the roleplaying name of "husband", "grave", which is weak at best in terms of the game.  Again, it's a transference effect of how you are, how society is, and how those things in the real world I think.  Also, I don't see how it can have more potential for players who only have the default crafting tips in text only form.  That also isn't the games meaning of "family building", since again, it's roleplaying, not motivated by the game by any sort of goals or achievements, and not even acknowledgement of such in the family's trees.  You had no husband.  The burial of your son is only recorded by you, and only ends up having meaning beyond yourself by other people reading about it *and* agreeing that it has meaning, which again, gets rejected from the perspective of playing for the basis of survival, since it wasn't useful for survival purposes.  The family didn't become stronger in any way relevant to the game by such behavior also.

It's even worse when I think about it.  Your son was dead, and thus non-existent in that world.  So, you couldn't bury him in that world.  You buried only his bones.  And unlike bones and flesh in real life, his bones weren't in any way personal to the player who he was.  Again, this happened as a result of some transference effect you had, which is fine for you to do at a personal level.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not morally judging you as doing anything bad.  But since the game discourages transferenece effects as relevant since roleplaying is discouraged by the game, and disliked if not hated by Mr. Rohrer also, that means that this game doesn't have that sort of potential overall.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2021-06-28 19:01:07

DestinyCall

Hey Spoonwood - What was your hook?

#8 2021-06-28 20:15:43

JonySky
Website

Yes Spoon !, how did the game "catch" you?

Last edited by JonySky (2021-06-28 20:16:33)

#9 2021-06-28 21:04:22

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:

Let me guess Spoon got hooked by the game not having fathers.

Since then Spoon is busy advocating Jason.

#10 2021-06-28 21:12:05

Lizzee

Doug,
That was an unnecessarily long comment. What a way to poopoo someone's hook to the game...

Lilyfox,
That was lovely. Don't listen to Spoon being a wet blanket. Role-play your heart out as long as you can work and be productive while doing it. This is a crappy survival game and a crappy farming/job simulator. The roleplay aspect of it, even if unintended by the developer, is the most heartwarming and heartbreaking part of this game. Don't let Spoon or Jason(who doesn't play his own game) tell you how to play it.

Last edited by Lizzee (2021-06-28 21:23:47)

#11 2021-06-28 23:40:32

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I haven't played in a while now, as you can partially observe for bs2 by checking my link below and I haven't been playing low pop either.  I can't say that I have one.  I've come back here at certain times, because it's easy to talk and I know something around here, and I guess I like explaining things when I can.  I can't say that I have all much of a hook compared to other games I've played.

The biggest hook I had I guess was watching a streamer on Twitch.  I liked the rebuilding from scratch concept a good bit also.  It got better with the reborn into the same family change, but is still corrupted the whole throwing of advanced objects via powerful technology or out of place clothing like loom clothes.  To reveal some, I would often try to walk to new towns especially when I felt my family hadn't been rebuilding from scratch, but with the difference in food requirements I often thought it best to wear advanced clothing, and I wasn't against using a cart from some place where I found it, if I thought it likely that the family I was walking to had a cart.  But, that wore off after a while as a way to sort of, for lack of a better term, revive the rebuilding from scratch idea, as it was too much time spent going there too often.

Also, Oxygen Not Included has interested me a lot more lately, even though it's food system is inferior to OHOL's in terms of diversity of food motivation, many of it's other aspects are quite charming and deep despite some noob traps and that it can probably use better guides on how to figure things out for players.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2021-06-28 23:43:12

Spoonwood

Arcurus wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Let me guess Spoon got hooked by the game not having fathers.

Since then Spoon is busy advocating Jason.

???  Much of the comment I wrote above comes with heavy criticism to Jason.  Really, the above comment I made shouldn't be read as a comment criticizing Lily's behavior, but rather Jason and his notions, since they inevitably lead to Lily's hook as not just useless in terms of game design, but worse distasteful if not undesireable for players.  Also, I did criticize her assertions, which I meant to.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-06-28 23:52:19)

Danish Clinch.

#13 2021-06-28 23:51:01

Spoonwood

Lizzee wrote:

This is a crappy survival game and a crappy farming/job simulator.

It's good at encouraging diversity of food production and consumption.  That's something better than games that encourage mono-diets and substantial.  But, the way that was done came along with the game turning into a job simulator due to the food degradation system/food generational decline.  Sometimes I've wondered how the game would work in that respect if the game had constant pip values, but with cravings also.  Also, now I'm wondering if some foods just weren't able to experience food generational decline if that would work better.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2021-06-29 02:37:39

OneOfMany

Gremlynn wrote:

What was your hook?

First off, great topic/question. This is a great question because I'm interested in the answer. I'm very interested to hear everyone's story. The answers have already been beautiful and I hope more people will offer up their stories and thoughts.

TLDR - For me it was, being a single father before I was ready

For me it was, one of my first lives. It was my third life. I had watched Twisted, for some time, so I thought I had a handle on the basics... I was wrong. There are so many recipes and caveats of the game, as a new player it's overwhelming. My first two lives were as a mother. I felt like a terrible mother. I could hardly care for them, but I did my best. No one died because of me,  I was just slightly productive enough to help and I died of old age, so I was feeling competent. I hadn't died of starvation yet (thanks to twisted), but I didn't really know any recipes for anything other than the basics. My third life was as a man. With an audible sigh of relief, I was like "Finally I can try and learn something and be productive without having to birth babies". I thought it was going to be a cakewalk compared to being a Mother. My mother was sweet, she patted me on the head and sent me out into the world with an ILY.  I set off on my new life to be a productive member of society. I did a lot of work. I was very productive. I felt great, but in real life I needed to go to the bathroom and maybe grab a drink. So I filled my pips, grab a yummy taco and ran to edge of town. Here I would park my avatar and when I came back, if I was hungry, I could swallow the taco. A simple plan.  I had half an eye on the game as I satiated my needs. I saw my pips were running low, so I hurried over to eat my taco. I swallowed it in one gulp, before I even noticed a baby at my feet begging for food. The little "F" sent shivers down my spine. Of course I had no food on me. I scoped the baby up and ran to the nearest food source, a pot of stew. As I ran the baby spelled out "f-i-g-u-r-e...", just then I slammed a bowl of stew down her throat. She was as surprised as I was. I could barely hear the squeaky little "TY", in the midst of my panic. Still panicking, I ran her to the nursery. No one was there. I called out for anyone to help me feed the child, but no one came. I calmed a bit and I knew what to do. I brought her to the berry farm and told her "Say F when hungry" as I stood there with a berry in my hand. I realized she didn't even have a name. I held here in my arms and I told here "You are adopted". She was named Adore. I set her down and I repeated it "You are adopted". She was now my adopted daughter. I made sure she grew up and became self-sufficient. She thanked me when she came of age and I did the same as my mother. We exchanged ILYs and she was off to start her new life and I went back to work. In my later years, I looked for her. I asked if anyone had seen Adore. When asked who she was I would reply "My adopted daughter". It raised a few eyebrows. I never did see her again. It was a regret in that life, but it was fulfilled after death. I looked up my adopted daughter to see what her final words were and they were as such "I went north, I named my first born after you". Her first born was named after me and all I really wanted to know was what happened to her. She died of old age, with children and she went north, what more could a Father ask for.

For me this was an incredible touching life, it was my hook. Since then I've had many wonderful lives. Each one focusing more on the people I'm playing with rather than the "normal" way of playing. Some lives I will come on to mindlessly grind the game, but the true gem lives, for me, is when I can have a real connection with another player. Such moments are valuable in this game. Sadly, I don't think people spend enough time talking in game. Talking makes connections. Without it, it just feels like a single player game. But what do I know, I'm just a dirty roleplayer.

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#15 2021-06-29 06:12:31

Dodge

There's a misunderstanding here... The reason Jason doesn't think roleplay is interesting is because if the game was done right you wouldnt need to roleplay these situations they would be a real part of the game.

You wouldnt need to roleplay being a merchant, king, smith etc because you would be that person.

In reality he wants to see these roleplay situations that you are creating happen in the game, more than everything, but he wants them to feel as real as possible like if your life depended on it and you where 100% immersed in the situation that you are playing and in that case roleplaying a situation just doesn't have the same degree of immersion, i agree with that.

But the game is FAR from that point anyway...

For me the hook was seeing all the possibilites and all the potential that this game had, everything you could imagine could be part of this game, it was very exciting because everything could happen, a whole world living and breathing with real players in it and infinite possible situations.

In traditionnal games you go from point A to point B going trough C, sometimes you have multiple choices, like using route D or E instead of C or reaching point F or G instead of B.

But eventually once you actually have gone trough it, it's over, you see the limitations of it, and you're done with it.

OHOL had that potential for infinite possiblities and limitless situations.

RIP that game...maybe another one.

#16 2021-06-29 08:44:19

JonySky
Website

I remember buying the game after seeing a video from a Spanish youtuber who only showed me the existence of this game.

I really liked the possibilities that OHOL had and I was fascinated that an independent developer was developing the game without big companies that end up ruining video games

Even imagine that the developer would work using the example of the current human civilization to further work on his game.

I imagined different times and their technologies (prehistory, ancient Greece, Romans, etc ...) in different sessions

When I started playing OHOL in 2018 the game was very different
There were no absurd mechanics, nor contradicting mechanics, nor magic ...

It was a game with many possibilities, a blank canvas

The lives that I liked the most were when I was the last child ... or when I killed a serial killer, or when I had to flee with my children to save my family, those were incredible stories

In these years the game was more balanced, there was no magic or absurd mechanics, there were no confusing mechanics.

There were more possibilities for fun!

In December 2018 the diesel engine arrived and I understood that the developer was only experimenting and there was no development plan, no roadmap ... the era of absurd objects and confusing mechanics was beginning ... We were cooking in a fireplace ...., but we had diesel engines ... planes, cars, racing cars, radios, trucks wow! useless objects that have not contributed anything ... just a waste of time in the development of a game that had a lot of future

Imagine if all that time and effort had been used to modify the game's engine and allow (for example) shared transport, oceans and rivers, weather, seasons, diseases!

It was at this point that I started to walk away from OHOL
Today I can say that I was right

When a game like OHOL, doesn't have an orderly creation process ... and doesn't have a solid development plan ... it ends up becoming a mindless and aimless food creation simulator..... boring....

Last edited by JonySky (2021-06-29 11:29:44)

#17 2021-06-29 11:06:34

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

There's a misunderstanding here... The reason Jason doesn't think roleplay is interesting is because if the game was done right you wouldnt need to roleplay these situations they would be a real part of the game.

Maybe for some of those things.  But, Jason has rejected putting fathers into the game, and not just because of it's difficulty.  According to Jason's perspective, even though I'm not Jason I think I can assert this strongly here, that one would always need to roleplay being a father or having a father.  The same goes for having a husband or being a husband, which was mentioned by LilyFox, since Jason has in no uncertain terms rejected marriage ever becoming a real part of this game.  So, sure I might misunderstand some particular cases here, but I can rather confidently assert that there is no way that I would be wrong in all cases.  And again, Lily mentioned a husband.

Dodge wrote:

In reality he wants to see these roleplay situations that you are creating happen in the game, more than everything, but he wants them to feel as real as possible like if your life depended on it and you where 100% immersed in the situation that you are playing and in that case roleplaying a situation just doesn't have the same degree of immersion, i agree with that.

He wants to see having or being a husband happen in the game and for it to feel real but constantly reject any sort of marriage mechanic as part of the game's future design?

Danish Clinch.

#18 2021-06-29 11:34:54

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

He wants to see having or being a husband happen in the game and for it to feel real but constantly reject any sort of marriage mechanic as part of the game's future design?

I never mentionned fatherhood or marriage, dont know why you quote me on this and try to make it seem like i'm contradicting myself...

The case of fathers has already been discussed multiple times and he already gave you his reasonning as to why he doesn't want to add it.

He doesn't want the game to revolve around sex and finding a mate to make babies, he thinks it would overshadow other aspects of the game and make it too much of a central part, also players need to spawn immediatly when they login and not have to wait for other players to potentially find a partner.

I partially agree with that, there's too many issues to make it a mandatory part but i think it could be added in a way like a bonus, you dont HAVE to but there would be the possiblity to.

Yes maybe there's a possible way to implement it without making it too much of a central part and integrate it seamlessly in the game but i personnally i'm not really that interested in it so i never gave it too much thought, maybe you can find a way to make it work smile

#19 2021-06-29 13:40:07

LilyFox

Spoonwood, I think you are looking to deeply into what I said in my post … I really didn't mean to start a discussion on whether roleplaying in this game is bad or good, I just wanted to share MY personal story on what originally got me hooked to this game. Obviously you can say that it was a useless life since it didn't help me advance the town in some meaningful way but to me the point of playing a game is mostly having fun. As long as that fun doesn't harm others, I really don't see anything wrong with it, to me roleplaying is no different than making fancy dyed clothes or building pretty bell parks (two things I also like to do btw) And it's not like that town was dying of starvation and we were wasting precious resources, I actually just checked the family tree and it appears they ended up dying out because of lack of fertile girls. So the most productive thing I could have done in that life was have babies, I just didn't get any daughters that didn't SID.

Spoonwood wrote:

roleplaying is discouraged by the game, and disliked if not hated by Mr. Rohrer

Jason also thinks race restrictions are a great mechanic to force “trade” and has admitted himself that he barely even plays his own game. I don't think his words alone should dictate how people are allowed to enjoy his game, in the end every game is what players make out of it, no? Take Minecraft Skyblock for example, I highly doubt when Notch created an infinite world with unlimited resources he anticipated that some people would decide to re-design the entire thing just to play on a tiny floating island with some seeds and a cobblestone generator. Yet plenty of people have enjoyed playing Skyblock for years, including myself. Does that mean these people are playing Minecraft the “wrong” way? I'd say the only wrong way to play any game is when you actively try to ruin other people's fun. Anything else is just people using the existing mechanics in a way to best suit their personal enjoyment.

Also I'd actually love it if we could have actual fathers and husbands in OHOL but from what I understand Jason has pretty much zero interest in making this possible. Yet husbands and fathers do exist in real life and since this game strives to depict real-life processes of civilization building, it's only natural some people will miss the existence of fathers–who I think most people agree have been as essential as mothers when it comes to progressing the human race. And if the only way to bring fathers and husbands into this game is roleplaying, that's just what people are gonna use.

#20 2021-06-29 18:21:37

sigmen4020

The family mechanic is what brought me in and the crafting system is what hooked me.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#21 2021-06-30 09:16:09

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

I never mentionned fatherhood or marriage, dont know why you quote me on this and try to make it seem like i'm contradicting myself

Because of the context you made the comment in.  You clearly were responding to talk about roleplay.  But, roleplay had gotten mentioned along with a "husband".

Dodge wrote:

The case of fathers has already been discussed multiple times and he already gave you his reasonning as to why he doesn't want to add it.

Alright, so then Jason doesn't want people to have fathers as part of the game.  Earlier you said:

Dodge wrote:

The reason Jason doesn't think roleplay is interesting is because if the game was done right you wouldnt need to roleplay these situations they would be a real part of the game.

No.  For fathers, *and husbands* players would need to roleplay those situations (at least to satisfy their desires), since they wouldn't be a real part of the game.  Jason wouldn't like it, because he doesn't like roleplay.

Danish Clinch.

#22 2021-06-30 09:25:14

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

He doesn't want the game to revolve around sex and finding a mate to make babies, he thinks it would overshadow other aspects of the game and make it too much of a central part, also players need to spawn immediatly when they login and not have to wait for other players to potentially find a partner.

Needing to find a mate has been and continues to be a central concern for those seeking to ensure the survival of their families in the real world. 

Players don't have to spawn in immediately in order to be players of games.  At least some people load up games and wait for them to start.  If you don't know that, then you don't know enough about the range of people who play games.

Players do have to wait for other players to have a baby sometimes.  You claim that they can't wait to potentially find a partner, but they already clearly do wait on having a baby.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2021-06-30 11:22:54

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

Players don't have to spawn in immediately in order to be players of games.  At least some people load up games and wait for them to start.  If you don't know that, then you don't know enough about the range of people who play games.

Players do have to wait for other players to have a baby sometimes.  You claim that they can't wait to potentially find a partner, but they already clearly do wait on having a baby.

Yes let me just boot the game then wait on a timer for 20 minutes before i can play...

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, if you cant find a solution that's fine.

#24 2021-06-30 11:58:23

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Yes let me just boot the game then wait on a timer for 20 minutes before i can play...

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, if you cant find a solution that's fine.

Dodge I agree with you that it would be a bit tedious ... but ...
Players would appreciate their lives better ... think about it
Life is very cheap at OHOL

and explain that if you play ranked in League of Legends ... the waiting time to enter a play is 5 minutes + -
It doesn't seem like too crazy an idea to me

Last edited by JonySky (2021-06-30 11:59:35)

#25 2021-06-30 12:23:01

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

Dodge I agree with you that it would be a bit tedious ... but ...
Players would appreciate their lives better ... think about it
Life is very cheap at OHOL

and explain that if you play ranked in League of Legends ... the waiting time to enter a play is 5 minutes + -
It doesn't seem like too crazy an idea to me

In league you're guaranteed to enter a game after waiting +- 5 minutes.

If you needed other players to fuck in order to spawn you could wait indefinitly if nobody does it.

I hear you on the value of life aspect of the game that is a complete joke, but having a mandatory indefinite waiting time before each life is not the way to go.

Plenty of other solutions for that problem.

Board footer