One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-03-30 20:57:52

Spoonwood

Re: Hey

Dodge wrote:

You talk a lot but you dont say much and your arguments are so nit picky and missing the point that i wont even adress them

I said plenty above Dodge.  You say things like that as a way of avoiding trying to understand and comprehend what got said.

Dodge wrote:

Have you ever heard of renevable ressources?

It's "renewable".  Apparently you don't want to talk about the game or the development half-cocked notions of Mr. Rohrer and instead want to break context Dodge (no, it's not a development philosophy, because the game instead has degraded with tarry spots running out and *couldn't scale to consistently having maximum player population* because of that also, even if it didn't have a whole host of other issues, which it does).  Tarry spots don't renew.  Clay pits don't renew.  There does exist well reset, but it can get messed up as I learned in the too far away Spoon family on rebirth there: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10493 as someone dug up the 40 tile away deep well and it had gone dry.  Water sources via kerosene don't renew or are too fragile to get handled by players like well reset, and at the very least, I think Coconut Fruit thought using well reset mechanics on bs2 an "exploit": http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10377

There also didn't exist renewable resources in the finite map we had.

Seriously, go talk to how far away oil makers are sometimes going from towns to get to a fresh tarry spot.  And note that bigserver2 often isn't even at half of its player capacity, and several veterans like Slinky have said that the game can't support more than like 60 players or something.

Renewable resources is also a *steady state*.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Essentially, there should be no steady state, where you finally break free from the survival struggle and can be fat, dumb, and happy for the rest of your life.

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=63

Renewable resources also means NOT developing the new level of survival technology at some point in time:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Maybe it can start to feel like a steady state for a few generations, but in reality, those generations are making a grave mistake by living that way.  If they're not developing the next level of survival technology, they are dooming their village in the future.

Also, renewable resources would have to happen at some stage along the way.  But:

jasonrohrer wrote:

You won't make it past age 30 unless you kick it into gear and carefully shepherd these actually-limited resources toward better survival tech before they run out.  And, this pattern should continue, all the way up the tech tree.

Actually-limited, not renewable.  All the way up the tech tree, not eventually renewable.

Such just means inevitable death and the impossibility of survival and a doomed game, and some people who thought such through figured that out before I ever did.

Dodge wrote:

Try to imagine an alternate reality where we didnt go beyond coal and all the consequences of failling to progress, would we have all died?, would people kill each other for the last lumps of coal?, would we have regressed to a period without electricity?

There is no such thing as perpetual, infinite technological evolution for any game, and there can't be.  All tech trees, or technological development paths are finite.

Dodge wrote:

You're so hangup on a certain idea of survival that it's impossible to have a reasonnable conversation with you.

Survival implies existence.  Without existence there is not and cannot be any survival.  That's what I said above.  If you fail to accept that, then you have fooled yourself or are trying to fool someone else.

Dodge wrote:

You listen to Jordan Peterson?

Me listening to some conversation doesn't explain anything at all Dodge.  What you said merely shows that you would rather attempt to engage in an ad hominem nonsense than trying to think about trading being connected to (material) inequality. 

Serious people who are material equals don't trade, because they have as much as the other person, and as much time and/or desire to produce as another person, so there is no motivation and no possible benefit to trading.  Material inequality makes for a precondition of trade, because it provides motivation and specialization only exists when material inequality exists also.  And specialization by two different parties is when trading is win-win.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#27 2021-03-31 04:59:00

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

What even is your point?

Stop beating around the bush and say what you want to say.

Do you not know that earth is limited in size and ressources and do you not understand that these key factors not being present in game are in part what is causing it to not have the situations that the dev wants to have.

You thinking that these situations shouldn't happen in this game is irrelevant i'm not arguing with that that's your personnal belief and i wont go into that, so what even are you arguing about?

Please make it clear, no nonsense.

#28 2021-04-02 16:33:38

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Do you not know that earth is limited in size and ressources and do you not understand that these key factors not being present in game are in part what is causing it to not have the situations that the dev wants to have.

No, I don't understand that.  The dev made infinite water a while back.  He also made infinite oil a while back.  If he didn't want infinite resources in the game period, then there was no point in ever making water or oil infinite at any point in time.  You talk about the dev having these situations that he wants the game to have.  But, the inconsistency in how the game has been shows that the dev doesn't have, or at least didn't have, a clear understanding of what he wanted the game to have.  Such shows a lack of vision on the part of the dev.

Dodge wrote:

You thinking that these situations shouldn't happen in this game is irrelevant i'm not arguing with that that's your personnal belief and i wont go into that, so what even are you arguing about?

I'm part of the player base, so it does have some relevance merely by that fact.  Also, the game isn't balanced around having the resources to support the maximum number of players on a server at one time.  And it hasn't been for a very long time.  Heck, the amount of oil is probably even too low for the number of players who play on average right now, and wouldn't support 80 players.  That's another way in which me objecting to finite resources has relevance.

Also, again, the game gets advertised as a multiplayer survival game and has since this forum existed I think.  A small amount of key resources which aren't renewable is *not* consistent with that, especially with many of those resources also needed for town building.

Dodge wrote:

Please make it clear, no nonsense.

Read it again.  If you want to understand, then the responsibility to develop that understanding is on you Dodge and no one else.

Danish Clinch.

#29 2021-04-02 16:52:48

Spoonwood

JonySky wrote:

do you think the game has gotten better?

With respect to destructive or disruptive players, I do think that the game has gotten better.  The leadership system and the restriction of player killing via the hierarchy (with overrule possible by large majorities I think as still possible) I think has made things substantially better in that respect.

That doesn't mean such doesn't happen anymore.  Engine scrapping, and other tactics.  Heck this morning, I had placed stones to unlock iron, picked iron, and made a shovel as a white Eve.  Then I go to dig up the ready well site (which was by ponds... it was a near ideal town spot in my opinion), and someone has move the stones away.  That sometimes happens in Eve camps since someone wants a sharp stone or round stone for something early.  So, I didn't think anything of it, and then went to get stones, dropping the shovel.  I come back and place the stones, and can't even spot the shovel using Hetuw's search function.  Next life I learn that the spring has now become dry instead of becoming a well and die at 1.  Next life, after walking from another family, I find that someone has dug up the well in the middle of nowhere in the jungle band south of where me and my daughters had started a camp.

But well tapout has always been a bad mechanic, especially since bands.  And it's not so obvious as shooting people with bows or murdering all of the sheep and the mouflon, and I doubt something like well tapout is as attractive to destructive players as player-killing.  Heck, if the person who dug up the well in a bad spot in a jungle band as white on that camp did it *just* that one time, well I don't see a reason to hold a grudge, so it *could* be water under the bridge.

Also, there isn't killing over petty reasons anymore from what I've seen, and I think that much better.

Oh, and I'm not comparing things to during the Rift.  I'm sure player killing was just terrible during The Rift.  I'm more comparing destructive players to pre-rift, and things to the time between the original Steam release and before The Rift era.  Most destructive players aren't as troublesome in general as back then in my opinion.  But, *some* destructive players are worse, since they've played the game longer and now realize better how to go about destroying things or annoying people *and* they were never banned.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-04-10 21:11:36)

Danish Clinch.

#30 2021-04-09 15:10:39

Aurora Aurora

All the problems would be fixed if jason added my gay dads and also made me head mod and gave me a gun

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

Board footer