One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-24 19:56:45

aldraw

Two hands, let's use them both

People have two hands.  Some items should be able to be held in one hand leaving the other free to hold other things.

examples:

Carrots, berries, onions held in one hand but pies held in two hands
sharp stones, stones, flint and tools with short shaft take one hand, tools using long shaft take two hands
bow held in single hand, arrow also single hand (backpack used like quiver), feather, needle and thread

Other single handed: snares, water pouch, skewer, thread, rope, leaf, tinder, rabbit, rabbit skin
Other Double handed: sticks, clay, basket, fire bow drill, pelts, clothes for torso, bowl, plate, reed bundle, babies

You get the idea.  A person can then carry two small items or one large.

The next step would be combining two held items (like needle and thread, or two milkweed fibers)

#2 2018-04-24 20:15:55

Artarda

Re: Two hands, let's use them both

The biggest drawback to this is the system with which players would determine what goes in what hand, what is being used on what, and how to swap the items to the offhand in the event of holding two items. I feel like this would take a lot of changing to the code, since the code has most likely not been written to handle this type of system. Also, the balance would be changed significantly. The ability to carry an additional thing without a basket means that kids in feral Eve situations would be more efficient at bringing back stuff.

TL;DR: I feel like we won't ever see something like this, and even if we do, Jason probably would rather add more content first. Maybe as a QoL change down the road, possibly.

#3 2018-04-24 20:25:04

aldraw

Artarda wrote:

The biggest drawback to this is the system with which players would determine what goes in what hand, what is being used on what, and how to swap the items to the offhand in the event of holding two items. I feel like this would take a lot of changing to the code, since the code has most likely not been written to handle this type of system. Also, the balance would be changed significantly. The ability to carry an additional thing without a basket means that kids in feral Eve situations would be more efficient at bringing back stuff.

TL;DR: I feel like we won't ever see something like this, and even if we do, Jason probably would rather add more content first. Maybe as a QoL change down the road, possibly.

It's rather simple, your hands act like a floppy basket with different graphics.

#4 2018-04-24 20:28:06

mulgara

aldraw wrote:

It's rather simple, your hands act like a floppy basket with different graphics.

How do you pick which item you want to use then?

I honestly like the simple mechanics of the game and how you can do everything with just two mouse buttons. And even then, sometimes my brain will malfunction and it'll take me a second to switch something out of a basket. It's a good idea in theory, but I think it's fine the way it is.

#5 2018-04-24 20:30:12

Xuhybrid

So what if i am holding a hatchet in one hand and a flint in the other. Does it enable both chopping branches and skinning rabbits at the same time? I also expect this situation to create problems if multiple one handed tools have different effects on the same item. Also, what if i want to pick up a needle, and a thread, in each hand? You'd have to add new controls for all this and i doubt that's going to happen.

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-24 20:30:50)

#6 2018-04-24 21:05:43

Turnipseed

Mabey just an offhand slot like when you equip a seal skin

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2018-04-24 21:14:47

Xuhybrid

I prefer the idea of an off hand which doesn't allow any recipes, but how do you put something in your off hand? Click the tool on yourself?

#8 2018-04-24 21:26:35

pein

off hands for shield! or food, only for food
if you click yourself you would eat it

without extra controls you cannot make this idea work
and in general, you need to hold down item to combine in real life, or balance yourself
could be fine in picking two of same kind of things or holding babies i guess

Last edited by pein (2018-04-24 21:26:55)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-04-24 23:39:48

aldraw

mulgara wrote:
aldraw wrote:

How do you pick which item you want to use then?

I honestly like the simple mechanics of the game and how you can do everything with just two mouse buttons. And even then, sometimes my brain will malfunction and it'll take me a second to switch something out of a basket. It's a good idea in theory, but I think it's fine the way it is.

You use the last item picked up.  To use the other drop the first.

Or add a switch items by right clicking your character.

#10 2018-04-25 00:35:42

pein

right clicking is the storage to backpack

you realize you would need two drops control to do that

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2018-04-25 09:25:41

Kinrany

Here's how it should work:

1) You have two hands, the main hand and the off hand.
2) Normally you use your main hand whenever you interact with stuff.
3) Holding a hotkey makes you interact with your off hand slot instead of the thing you clicked on.

This way having an off hand is strictly better, because you can just ignore it if you don't know how to use it yet, but it speeds up interaction because you basically carry an empty tile with you, and you don't even have to pixelhunt to click it.

Last edited by Kinrany (2018-04-25 09:25:54)

#12 2018-04-25 12:27:18

aldraw

pein wrote:

right clicking is the storage to backpack

you realize you would need two drops control to do that

Right clicking on the backpack, not the character accesses the storage.

#13 2018-04-25 15:27:25

pein

i would keep a crown in my offhand as an oversized ring

Board footer