One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-05 03:15:43

Bakafeck

User Story: Prelude and Chapter One: Ashe Atlas

Chapter 0: Me, My Soul

I’m not sure if I’m being toyed with, and I’ll be honest, I wasn’t thinking much at the time.

For whatever reason, I found myself in a body. It had tits. Far different from what I’m used to. Not only that, but a voice in my head directed me as I moved along a path. It taught me how to eat, harvest, use sharp rocks, and make tools like a basket.

When I was cold, it taught me about fire. Then, it made me walk through freezing snow and hot land. What a dingus...

It tells me I will have this thing called a life. Maybe many of them. My hopes weren't high - what can one really accomplish in sixty years? Each year is so short… On top of that, each life might be different. I have no idea what to expect. I hate the sounds… everything looks terrible and the controls are horrible… yet… it is an interesting concept. Maybe I’ll try one.

First, the voice said I must expire this body in order to continue. A pit of rattlesnakes has been supplied for “convenience”, apparently. Here goes.

---

Oh… another tutorial? Fuck off, I’m lighting the fire and jumping into the snake pit.

---

Chapter 1: Ashe Atlas - First Life, First Fails, First Friend

In my first official life, I was a ginger, born to Feather of the Atlas family. My mother took me inside, fed and clothed me, named me after “a shit champion”, and then, when I no longer needed her breasts, gave me a backpack. She was a busy woman, always doing something, but she made sure I reached young adulthood just fine. She gave me a pat on my back, a good luck, I didn’t see her much after that.

What I did see were farm fields. Loads of them. Beside every string of farmland was boxes to hold the harvests. Someone pulled a carrot and placed it on the box. Then they did it again. Looked easy enough, so that’s what I did. I had no idea how to make seeds, just that I could harvest.

Then, the worst happened. I had my first child. I had no idea what to do, or how to feed it. It died in my arms, and I returned to the field. Everyone around me spoke a language I did not know. It was frustrating, and I was alone. Soon came my second child, who died the same as the first.

I was lost. I felt guilty. I could not care for the young. I could not create opportunities. I knew nothing. I met someone in the field, a friend who’s name I don’t remember, who stopped. Why did that person stop? It must have been the 20th time I asked how to do something, and that was the one person who stopped to teach me. They taught me how to prepare fields if I had the right tools, and most amazingly, how to make seeds. I no longer needed others to plant.

While working in the field I found a baby. I took it to the fire and warmed it, learned by accident how to breast feed it, and gave it a name. I wish I thought to write these names down. When the baby grew and began feeding itself, I gave it a fur to keep warm, and my backpack. I returned to the field.

That same person was there. I became old talking to them, appreciating what I learned. They told me I did good for my first life. We laughed, and eventually, they said “see you in another life”. I said “Yeah, for sure”, and went to sleep.

What a life that was. I was so confused, and just when I felt comfortable - just when I had a friend, it was all gone. The chances of meeting them again are slim, and we’ll never recognize each other, but there was a lingering feeling of fulfillment. I’m glad I lived that life. I wish I had paid more attention to it.

----
Author Notes:
It's lives two and three that inspired me to start writing about them. This one was kind of plain.

Next Chapter: Maple Full - Graveyard Girl https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=10418

Last edited by Bakafeck (2021-01-05 04:55:46)

#2 2021-01-05 03:29:35

fug

Re: User Story: Prelude and Chapter One: Ashe Atlas

This doesn't need three threads to tell a story. Don't take pointers from spoon and spam the forums for what could be contained in one post.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2021-01-05 04:10:51

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

This doesn't need three threads to tell a story. Don't take pointers from spoon and spam the forums for what could be contained in one post.

The author here gets to choose their writing style as you get to choose your writing style fug.

Some people do appreciate shorter posts, as they have commented before.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2021-01-05 04:31:50

fug

Spoonwood wrote:
fug wrote:

The author here gets to choose their writing style as you get to choose your writing style fug.

Someone with terrible forum etiquette encourages terrible etiquette. Who would have thought?

Last edited by fug (2021-01-05 04:48:31)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2021-01-05 04:46:32

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Spoonwood wrote:

I also enjoy not having to go between 3 links to read a story. Could've been 3 seperate comments

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#6 2021-01-05 04:52:51

Bakafeck

fug wrote:

Ah... I used to be on a forum where each story was supposed to be a new thread, so that was what I was used to. This made it so replies and comments were about that particular story. Stories that did not stand alone were to be kept in the same thread though, with comments disabled. I didn't mean to spam, just followed a different etiquette. Another rule was to never post more than three a week when doing this - so there won't be more for a while. Sorry for the trouble.

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I also enjoy not having to go between 3 links to read a story. Could've been 3 seperate comments

I can always edit and add links to the other chapters if that would help?

#7 2021-01-05 06:38:45

Spoonwood

Bakafeck wrote:
fug wrote:

Ah... I used to be on a forum where each story was supposed to be a new thread, so that was what I was used to. This made it so replies and comments were about that particular story. Stories that did not stand alone were to be kept in the same thread though, with comments disabled. I didn't mean to spam, just followed a different etiquette. Another rule was to never post more than three a week when doing this - so there won't be more for a while. Sorry for the trouble.

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Fug isn't a forum moderator.  I don't see how you violated any rule, and I thought your story in three posts was fine.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2021-01-05 07:22:43

fug

Spoonwood wrote:
Bakafeck wrote:
fug wrote:

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Fug isn't a forum moderator.  I don't see how you violated any rule, and I thought your story in three posts was fine.

Smokey the Bear isn't an officer. Doesn't mean he should stop asking people from catching his home on fire.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2021-01-05 07:24:38

Bakafeck

Spoonwood wrote:

Well... maybe, but every community has preferences and unspoken rules, right? It hurts me none to hear others out, or try and change some of how I do something. I may not have violated any rules, but feedback is feedback nonetheless. I don't mind.

#10 2021-01-05 23:27:45

Caprys

Love your stories.

#11 2021-01-06 00:46:12

Spoonwood

Bafafeck wrote:

Well... maybe, but every community has preferences and unspoken rules, right?

You didn't violate any unspoken rules by making three posts.  Again, your writing style is your own.  I didn't see any problem with your form of expression.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2021-01-06 00:47:37

Spoonwood

DiscardedSlinky wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

You've also complained about the *length* of posts repeatedly, as if you simply can't or won't take the time to read.  You control whether you read or not Slinky, not the author.  You don't want to read, that's on you.

Danish Clinch.

#13 2021-01-06 02:16:27

Bakafeck

Spoonwood wrote:

You didn't violate any unspoken rules by making three posts.  Again, your writing style is your own.  I didn't see any problem with your form of expression.

I guess, and thank you for trying to be considerate, but I would still rather not have arguments in these comment sections. It's not really the point of them, haha. There's no need to egg on someone who's already annoyed, so I'll just be letting it be.

Caprys wrote:

Love your stories.

Thank you, Caprys! I hope people like the other ones I'm writing when they're done. This is fun, and the game can be oddly touching sometimes.

#14 2021-01-16 20:43:27

karltown_veteran

Oh boy. What a way to welcome you to the forum. We don’t fight that much, promise. We are a great community for the most part.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#15 2021-01-20 04:49:18

gamatron332

karltown_veteran wrote:

Oh boy. What a way to welcome you to the forum. We don’t fight that much, promise. We are a great community for the most part.

This! Most of the time the peeps on here are chill, like a tower held up by sand, wait... or maybe a hut made of straw? Anyhow “normally” if you don’t go attacking people you won’t get attacked, but as my ma always says, “ don’t deal it if you can’t take it”

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#16 2021-01-20 11:04:50

Amon

The game is truly inspirational for some wacky adventures and tales indeed.

Your story is wonderful I was engaged reading it.
Just make sure, if you do make more posts relating to the story (which is perfectly fine, especially if it takes a lot of time between to write them), to properly link them so people can navigate to them easier.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer