Beans: 5:1
Potato: 4:1
Onion: 4:1 (with an intermediary step)
Pepper: 3:1
Sugarcane: 3:1
Cabbage: 3:1
Dill: 2:1
Peppercorn: 2:1

If you want your farms balanced plant in these ratios. Hilariously none of these are 9. Dill is close though, a 3x3 of dill can be maintained without excess seed production or unfilled plots.

Glasswort, grapes, trees, wheat, milkweed, pumpkin, squash, corn and berries all give infinite seeds.

Last edited by NoTruePunk (2020-12-21 22:18:58)

#2 2020-12-19 11:45:05

Morti

Re: Seed ratio

NoTruePunk wrote:

Hilariously none of these are 9

As the person most responsible for the 3x3 farm design, it's not about seed ratio.
The reason I suggested farm plots be in 3x3 squares is because of the ratio of soil to a pile of soil.

The reason I have not come out against it is because it's a good ratio of crops to work space, when the 3x3s are surrounded with tiles not used for crops, where bowls, seeds, water and soil can be placed. The 3x3s work well in the default client, giving people a view of neighboring crops.

If you don't like it, propose something better.
If it truly is better, it will take off.

For reference, look back at videos of One Hour One Life with farms in them, in 2018. The chaos and lack of convention was frustrating for people. The easily repeatable pattern brought a sense of peace and order to the farm. If you wanted less of a crop, you just give it 1 or 2 rows of 3, if you want more, you plant more in another 3x3.

Pickle ingredients are a good example.

You could have 1 bay tree, 1 garlic plant and 1 dill along with 6 cucumber plants in a 3x3.

But I am glad you brought up seed ratios. It's worth considering among everything else, but it must be taken into account alongside all the other factors at work on the farm. That includes the peace of mind that comes with a familiar sight and good layout.

#3 2020-12-19 12:26:29

Rookwood

The only crop I think this matters for is cabbage because it's the only one with a low seed ratio and also is a high turnover crop.  It takes 3 plants to seed to replant a 9 row plot, and then you have 3 seeds leftover.  8 plots in the standard 3x3 format with a hollow middle is I think optimal for cabbage.

Last edited by Rookwood (2020-12-19 12:33:18)

#4 2020-12-19 12:32:44

Morti

NTP,
Read this https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2160
and try to put your mind in the state things were back then, as best you can.

#5 2020-12-19 12:49:11

Morti

Morti wrote:

NTP,

You can also see why cisterns are placed throughout the farm, thanks to pein's contribution to the overall idea of the way things should be laid out on the farms. This is how progress is made; on the shoulders of the past.

#6 2020-12-20 00:30:03

NoTruePunk

Morti wrote:
Morti wrote:

NTP,

You can also see why cisterns are placed throughout the farm, thanks to pein's contribution to the overall idea of the way things should be laid out on the farms. This is how progress is made; on the shoulders of the past.

The 3x3 strategy isn't so bad. You can make carrots into a perfect ratio farm by squeezing two boxes into the plot. It's just storage is so tight and with cisterns and boxes and tables blocking movement in farms you frequently get walls of blocked tiles that you can't get through. Seeds get strewn about, there's often too much or not enough of a given crop. Perfect seed ratios would be ideal, but it's not a severe problem.

The 3x3s are much, much better than how people used to make farms. Even if it doesn't work well at times it does manage to limp along and provide a bare minimum level of survival for the family.

#7 2020-12-20 04:45:12

Don Holm

NoTruePunk wrote:

Just for reference:

Glasswort, grapes, trees, wheat, milkweed, pumpkin, squash, corn and berries all give infinite seeds.

How does berries give infinite seeds?

#8 2020-12-20 04:48:27

Morti

NoTruePunk wrote:

It's just storage is so tight and with cisterns and boxes and tables blocking movement in farms you frequently get walls of blocked tiles that you can't get through.

The thought was that the number of players to the game would increase overtime and with them, we could have new jobs, and one of those new jobs would be a transporter. Someone to move items from where they are produced to where they are needed. Like from the farm to the bakery, or from the bakery to a dining area. But Jason thought we needed the game to be more interesting for people who like to murder each other in other games, so, he fucked it up for those of us who came for the game he advertised from the start, and rather than gain players, we steadily lost them, until we got down to the point where there was 20-30 people on at a time, on average, and then he released the game on Steam, and we got back up to 100 or so a day, but he kept all the same advertisements for the game, selling it as a parenting simulator with crafting and survival elements, yet he continued to add murder mechanics for sadistic people, and, of course, the few who came and abused others, turned away the majority that wanted something peaceful and pleasant.

This is why so many of us are still vocal about how upset we are with Jason's decisions to this day, because it was absolutely obvious to people who actually played the game, what we were here for.

Meanwhile Jason just played League of Legends and Rusts with his sons and ignored the game, ignored our complaints and ignored the things that didn't show up in his data, like how often we said we loved each other, to one another. He just doesn't know a fucking thing about this game and never will because he can't, not from his perspective. He just didn't care enough. And the few people that didn't care either, drove all the good people away.

He just really fucked up, and, he should never be let off the hook for that, for the rest of his life. So that when genuinely good people go looking through history for similar ideas, they recognize the mistakes he's made because he becomes infamous for them.

And that is coming from the person who has put more time into this game than any other person on Earth, including Jason and Tom combined.

There was a time when I averaged 10 hours a day playing this game, for months. Jason couldn't even be fucking bothered to put in 6 hours half that time and he certainly doesn't put anywhere near 6 a day now, if even 6 hours a week. Fuck him. Only the outside he's a fucking shy little aspy, but inside, he's a disgusting monster of a human being who finds humor, entertainment and intrigue in the suffering of others. He's a piece of shit of the worst type, deceitful as all hell.

--

He has a lot of upset people to answer to, and he never will - ever. He's just that kind of person. Either too scared to be honest with those he deceived, or too oblivious of what this game meant to so many of us.

I've given him the benefit of the doubt hundreds of times, I've listened to his voice for dozens, maybe near 100 hours of all the interviews he's given and the videos with him, I've read most everything on all the sites he's ever created, just, trying to find a genuinely good person in him, past the innocent, stuttering, childish mind he comes off as, and I have come to the conclusion he's about as mentally developed as a child that burns ants and pulls limbs off spiders. He was too sheltered growing up, that is clear, but while sheltered, some unfortunate things happened to him and he still carries them with him.

As productive as he has tried to be over the last 20 years, with his music, his file sharing and his games, he cares more about the appearance of a hard worker and not enough for genuine work. But hey, the motherfucker has a nice lookin' resume! Right? Isn't that what life is about? Making yourself a good wikipedia page to be remembered for? Telling people the number of games you've made, even though they haven't played, or even heard of, a single one? He's basically made 20 games that could all be played in a single evening, and probably didn't take more than half that to design... but what the fuck do I know?

He's the reason we're here, instead of anywhere else right now.
At least he helped me to meet a few people who I really felt cared for me, even if we only ever did meet via a game, or a forum.
And that was nice of him. Even if he did encourage others to kill us in the same game by telling everyone he just wanted interesting things, and only ever siting murder statistics, as an example of an 'interesting' thing.

He was a true piece of shit, may still be, may even be for the rest of his life.
Yet I still care about him.

Yet I still love him.

Like a cute, little dog, that always bites you when you try to pet it, and barks incessantly with the sharpest, most annoying yip.
You just have to admire them for their confidence and perseverance.

He's got a fair amount of determination, more than I'll ever have.
He just made some bad choice.
But that's life, eh?
Haven't we all made some bad choices and lived to learn from them?

--

Sorry, I forgot, this was about seeds and shit. Move the produce to a storage area, if you have time. Make boxes for storage in a room adjacent to the kitchen. Storing it adjacent to the plants themselves was never the way it was meant to be. Back in 2018 we used to store food in baskets in carts, but, then Jason made baskets decay, made carts decay and just basically shit on idea after idea that we came up with to make the largest towns stable. That's what the game is to him, making things miserable for people. That's the most important thing; that you be miserable, no matter what. I'm guessing that's what his dad did; made him miserable to force him to grow up, and that's probably what Jason will do to his kids once they reach the same age; dash their sense of security against a jagged cliff just as they all reach just the right age, where the youngest one is nearly old enough to evict if necessary.

Who the fuck knows. The past of this game is fucking haunted by people who knew better and gave up before Jason fucked them over too much. Before they got too attached, they left. I should have left with them. But some, fucking, paternal instinct in me, keeps me coming back, as if I'm checking on my kids in bed, just for the peace of mind a father might experience, as he hears his children breathing in their sleep.

I do not know, why, I am still around here.
I've probably squeezed all the blood I'll ever get from this stone, yet I'm still holding on.

Too bad there aren't more people trapped here with us, eh?

I'd turn like Tarr, pein or Dodge did, into sadistic fucks too, if only I could care as little as they do about what matters most to me.
Then maybe I wouldn't feel so bad about the game being such garbage, I could just take it out on other players, instead of reaching right for the heart of the fucking problem.

Just pretend it's not Jason, pretend it's each other.
Pretend it's me if you like.
Jason told me once he was looking for a friend, and, I think I blew him off.
Maybe it really is my fault. I'm sure I did something wrong, by not being good enough to prevent more problems, or, at least, to wind up happier, by this moment in the future.

--

This is what I get for looking at the posts of the past.
If you're a brutally honest person, don't fucking do that.
You'll just regret it, you'll just dredge up unresolved issues.
Stay in the present, or don't - don't touch the fucking lever.
Just let the train kill those 5 people. You didn't start it. It's not your fault they died.
But it will be your fucking fault that 1 person died, and you'll never let it down.
Don't touch, that fucking lever.

In fact, stay the fuck away from trains entirely!
Whoever designed those fucking tracks should be charged with the 5 deaths, fuck that piece of shit.
Fucking trains, who needs em?

wink

--

And hey, don't take this post too seriously.
I don't want to talk about this shit now that I've got it off my chest.
Talk about ... farm layouts or some shit.
IDGAF
Just let this go.
Maybe I will too,
someday.

#9 2020-12-20 05:36:07

NoTruePunk

Don Holm wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

Just for reference:

How does berries give infinite seeds?

One berry seed planted can generate infinitely more berry seeds or berries. You never have to replace that first seed, just keep renewing the bush.

#10 2020-12-20 21:25:18

pein

oh that old topic big_smile iI member how much hate cisterns had, especially that the engine could not handle conversions
took a while to convince people it's worth it

I don't particularly like the 3x3 but it's better than nothing
also I didn't like how people started the plots with the well on middle, that 60-80 bowls are short term optimization, the well is a workspace after that and free space worth more

personally, I like 2x5 strips, it's not that good for floor per field ratio but it's better for picking berries in bowls. Wider is worse, working sideways is good. can be like 2x6x3 and then is better for soil ratio

I remember how the floor trick saved from endless expanded fields, and how I was digging out bushes, splitting the berry, like Moses the tomato soup. People started doing that like 9-10 months later.

Personally, I don't like a single farm setup, at least separate stew, you won't be there forever to pick up your stupid beans.
Also, there is some value in adapting to surroundings, had even more back when deserts and jungle had a better heat, but still, a bit of overheating is good when you run around in cold.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2020-12-21 13:01:59

WumboJumbo

Morti wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

It's just storage is so tight and with cisterns and boxes and tables blocking movement in farms you frequently get walls of blocked tiles that you can't get through.

The thought was that the number of players to the game would increase overtime and with them, we could have new jobs, and one of those new jobs would be a transporter. Someone to move items from where they are produced to where they are needed. Like from the farm to the bakery, or from the bakery to a dining area. But Jason thought we needed the game to be more interesting for people who like to murder each other in other games, so, he fucked it up for those of us who came for the game he advertised from the start, and rather than gain players, we steadily lost them, until we got down to the point where there was 20-30 people on at a time, on average, and then he released the game on Steam, and we got back up to 100 or so a day, but he kept all the same advertisements for the game, selling it as a parenting simulator with crafting and survival elements, yet he continued to add murder mechanics for sadistic people, and, of course, the few who came and abused others, turned away the majority that wanted something peaceful and pleasant.

This is why so many of us are still vocal about how upset we are with Jason's decisions to this day, because it was absolutely obvious to people who actually played the game, what we were here for.

Meanwhile Jason just played League of Legends and Rusts with his sons and ignored the game, ignored our complaints and ignored the things that didn't show up in his data, like how often we said we loved each other, to one another. He just doesn't know a fucking thing about this game and never will because he can't, not from his perspective. He just didn't care enough. And the few people that didn't care either, drove all the good people away.

He just really fucked up, and, he should never be let off the hook for that, for the rest of his life. So that when genuinely good people go looking through history for similar ideas, they recognize the mistakes he's made because he becomes infamous for them.

And that is coming from the person who has put more time into this game than any other person on Earth, including Jason and Tom combined.

There was a time when I averaged 10 hours a day playing this game, for months. Jason couldn't even be fucking bothered to put in 6 hours half that time and he certainly doesn't put anywhere near 6 a day now, if even 6 hours a week. Fuck him. Only the outside he's a fucking shy little aspy, but inside, he's a disgusting monster of a human being who finds humor, entertainment and intrigue in the suffering of others. He's a piece of shit of the worst type, deceitful as all hell.

--

He has a lot of upset people to answer to, and he never will - ever. He's just that kind of person. Either too scared to be honest with those he deceived, or too oblivious of what this game meant to so many of us.

I've given him the benefit of the doubt hundreds of times, I've listened to his voice for dozens, maybe near 100 hours of all the interviews he's given and the videos with him, I've read most everything on all the sites he's ever created, just, trying to find a genuinely good person in him, past the innocent, stuttering, childish mind he comes off as, and I have come to the conclusion he's about as mentally developed as a child that burns ants and pulls limbs off spiders. He was too sheltered growing up, that is clear, but while sheltered, some unfortunate things happened to him and he still carries them with him.

As productive as he has tried to be over the last 20 years, with his music, his file sharing and his games, he cares more about the appearance of a hard worker and not enough for genuine work. But hey, the motherfucker has a nice lookin' resume! Right? Isn't that what life is about? Making yourself a good wikipedia page to be remembered for? Telling people the number of games you've made, even though they haven't played, or even heard of, a single one? He's basically made 20 games that could all be played in a single evening, and probably didn't take more than half that to design... but what the fuck do I know?

He's the reason we're here, instead of anywhere else right now.
At least he helped me to meet a few people who I really felt cared for me, even if we only ever did meet via a game, or a forum.
And that was nice of him. Even if he did encourage others to kill us in the same game by telling everyone he just wanted interesting things, and only ever siting murder statistics, as an example of an 'interesting' thing.

He was a true piece of shit, may still be, may even be for the rest of his life.
Yet I still care about him.

Yet I still love him.

Like a cute, little dog, that always bites you when you try to pet it, and barks incessantly with the sharpest, most annoying yip.
You just have to admire them for their confidence and perseverance.

He's got a fair amount of determination, more than I'll ever have.
He just made some bad choice.
But that's life, eh?
Haven't we all made some bad choices and lived to learn from them?

--

Sorry, I forgot, this was about seeds and shit. Move the produce to a storage area, if you have time. Make boxes for storage in a room adjacent to the kitchen. Storing it adjacent to the plants themselves was never the way it was meant to be. Back in 2018 we used to store food in baskets in carts, but, then Jason made baskets decay, made carts decay and just basically shit on idea after idea that we came up with to make the largest towns stable. That's what the game is to him, making things miserable for people. That's the most important thing; that you be miserable, no matter what. I'm guessing that's what his dad did; made him miserable to force him to grow up, and that's probably what Jason will do to his kids once they reach the same age; dash their sense of security against a jagged cliff just as they all reach just the right age, where the youngest one is nearly old enough to evict if necessary.

Who the fuck knows. The past of this game is fucking haunted by people who knew better and gave up before Jason fucked them over too much. Before they got too attached, they left. I should have left with them. But some, fucking, paternal instinct in me, keeps me coming back, as if I'm checking on my kids in bed, just for the peace of mind a father might experience, as he hears his children breathing in their sleep.

I do not know, why, I am still around here.
I've probably squeezed all the blood I'll ever get from this stone, yet I'm still holding on.

Too bad there aren't more people trapped here with us, eh?

I'd turn like Tarr, pein or Dodge did, into sadistic fucks too, if only I could care as little as they do about what matters most to me.
Then maybe I wouldn't feel so bad about the game being such garbage, I could just take it out on other players, instead of reaching right for the heart of the fucking problem.

Just pretend it's not Jason, pretend it's each other.
Pretend it's me if you like.
Jason told me once he was looking for a friend, and, I think I blew him off.
Maybe it really is my fault. I'm sure I did something wrong, by not being good enough to prevent more problems, or, at least, to wind up happier, by this moment in the future.

--

This is what I get for looking at the posts of the past.
If you're a brutally honest person, don't fucking do that.
You'll just regret it, you'll just dredge up unresolved issues.
Stay in the present, or don't - don't touch the fucking lever.
Just let the train kill those 5 people. You didn't start it. It's not your fault they died.
But it will be your fucking fault that 1 person died, and you'll never let it down.
Don't touch, that fucking lever.

In fact, stay the fuck away from trains entirely!
Whoever designed those fucking tracks should be charged with the 5 deaths, fuck that piece of shit.
Fucking trains, who needs em?

wink

--

And hey, don't take this post too seriously.
I don't want to talk about this shit now that I've got it off my chest.
Talk about ... farm layouts or some shit.
IDGAF
Just let this go.
Maybe I will too,
someday.

If we look back at the trailer, it is extremely misleading. Was that the point? Was that the intent behind it?
https://youtu.be/mT4JktcVQuE
I wonder if Jason tried to add murder mechanics in order to balance things out. Maybe he wanted it to be a bit realistic. How long is it until peace gets stale?

#12 2020-12-21 15:37:23

sigmen4020

Umm. Your garlic ratio is way off. You plant more garlic using a single clove not a whole garlic bulb. You can produce five garlic cloves from one garlic bulb. So 5 garlic bulbs * 5 garlic cloves - 1 = 19.

So seed ratio for garlic is more like 19:1 rather than 4:1, which explains why towns get so over cluttered with garlic so quickly.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-12-21 15:37:59)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#13 2020-12-21 21:27:19

MrsDuckGirl

sigmen4020 wrote:

So 5 garlic bulbs * 5 garlic cloves - 1 = 19.

Hmmm... In my country, 5*5=25 and 25-1=24.
But we use ancient mathematics, maybe you use modern ones ?

#14 2020-12-21 22:13:36

sigmen4020

MrsDuckGirl wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

So 5 garlic bulbs * 5 garlic cloves - 1 = 19.

Hmmm... In my country, 5*5=25 and 25-1=24.
But we use ancient mathematics, maybe you use modern ones ?

Oh yeah my bad. The actual seed ratio would be 24:1. Guess I brainfarted, no idea how I got 5*5 to equal 20 in my head.

Edit: Also wow, now wonder we have a garlic apocalypse now lmao.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-12-21 22:19:24)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#15 2020-12-21 22:16:54

NoTruePunk

sigmen4020 wrote:

Umm. Your garlic ratio is way off. You plant more garlic using a single clove not a whole garlic bulb. You can produce five garlic cloves from one garlic bulb. So 5 garlic bulbs * 5 garlic cloves - 1 = 19.

So seed ratio for garlic is more like 19:1 rather than 4:1, which explains why towns get so over cluttered with garlic so quickly.

AHHH you're right, sorry. I was looking at the wild growth recipe which doesn't give the domestic bonus.

Board footer