One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-24 11:45:39

breezeknight

i've killed my first bear

after i killed already a couple of wolves in some of the previous runs i wanted for some time now to kill a bear
last time i spawned among several bears but what was missing were ponds with geese, so no arrows, no killing bears

but today, i didn't even intended to kill a bear, i spawned as a male kid, so with plenty of time on my hands & the mother was kind enough to nurture me to my self-reliance, then she went off with the second kid & was after some time no more to be seen
later in that area, much much later, years went by & i tried to go by as well, the settlement was once a big one but everything went to pieces, nobody was living there anymore & only few useful things remained
food was low, so i wanted to make a small berry bushes farm since the old one was dried up completely, also milkweed was oc very hard to come by, so i made also a small milkweed farm & while i was roaming about i've seen a bear in that area, but since lots of stuff was missing in that settlement, especially food so i cared more for my immediate survival than killing bears
i managed to make a backpack with the few furs & some freshly catched rabbits, was about to water the milkweed when the bear appeared for third time now & someone was chasing him with a bow but as it turns out this must have been an inexperienced hunter, since you can't kill a bear with one arrow
the hunter was killed, the bear remained still around with the arrow in his back, so i decided to gather all the necessary stuff for new arrows, i found even a bow in the settlement, so didn't need to make a new one, the hunter himself must have dropped his bow somewhere else, i didn't come across his, i also didn't want to get killed by the bear while i searched for the bow, that would have been pathetic
after the arrows were made & i had enough cactus fruit & berries to sustain my hunger i searched again, now very carefully for the bear to not waste my life due to my clumsyness
i've managed to shoot the bear one time & to run off as fast i could into an open field, i was very carefull this time because the last time i managed to shot a bear i got mixed up between some nearby trees & that's where the bear got me then, but not this time
this time i replenished my hunger bar, clasped the third arrow for the bear next to the bow & shot eventually the bear dead, my very first bear, hurray !

if you come across a skinned bear, a bear skin, a backpack with one arrow in it, that's the scenery of the whole crime where the first hunter was killed by the bear & the bear then by me
you find my remains near the freshly planted berry bushes

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-24 15:47:37)

#2 2018-04-24 14:52:52

JS

Re: i've killed my first bear

Congratulations on your successful hunting. smile

I go out to bear hunting occasionally if I am the last person left.
And I can be bitten by a transparent wolf flying in secret. LOL
Watch out for wolves and lags when hunting a bear.

#3 2018-04-24 16:31:58

xRaenboe
Website

I still have yet to make a bow and kill any animals, I'm too worried someone will take the bow and kill someone else. For now I'm happy with rabbits big_smile but one day I will summon up the courage to go for the larger beasts!

#4 2018-04-24 17:16:52

breezeknight

@xRaenboe
at some point you will have to
if you spawn as Eve badly, then run through many biomes & come at last to a fairly ok place where you want to settle & then the wolves appear, that's your chance to kill wolves instead raising kids
also it comes rather handy to know how to handle bow n arrow if a settlement with other people is being harrassed by animals, it's oc too late to make the weapons first after the bear is there killing, it takes a while to make, especially the arrows
& yes, one has to go through the danger of being killed by your fellow people instead of bears, wolves & snakes tongue

thank you @JS

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-24 17:17:47)

#5 2018-04-24 17:38:25

lostlandofcarrots

Congrats! I've tried to kill bears in the past but they always manage to eat me xD Haven't been able to get one just yet.

#6 2018-04-24 19:23:15

pein

My mom named me "azzalea" asked me to make arrows, a kid helped me, making tied skrevers, i got him flint chip and feathers, and i completed it, my mom gave me all her clothing for it. Later i had my first kid. She grew up but was kinda dumb, running across ice to get water as a 4 year old. I think she died.
I seen a bear later told mom, she was inexperienced and wanted to try. she took the bow and arrow, didn't let me tell to take my backpack and stand on an item, she hit once, died second time, and dragged bear into city.i was trying to pick up bow, i popped a kid, i think was a girl. Our naked blacksmith was there too, trying to pick up bow. I ran around the tree, bear switched direction and killed me on my way back as i tried to pick up kid. hope the blacksmith could pick up the kid and feed somehow, he made tools, was a nice camp.

My point, hunting bears needs knowledge and gear:
-arrow, carrot , arrow , carrot in backpack, arrow bow in hand, go to bear, stand on item, as it aggro you shot it, best to arrange items on ground so it can go into two possible locations, making a "H" or "I" sign with whatever items so you got 7 items and you are on center one, hit him, drop bow, eat, take arrow, shoot again, and repeat
take your time, that's why i mention carrots, you can eat it or stand on it
-how to lure bear:
stand near bear on item preferably or not on a straight line, it always stops, moves diagonally maximum 3 tiels, thats when you move away, you want it to follow you so you run away from it but stay 3-4 tiles away, if done right you drag him out of city, then you go faster same direction, it cant and wont follow when you are out of screen for him. go around it, return to city

you can even lure it into a fence pen, but you need to be careful,  i doubt you can shoot her trough fence, but if you set up a turn inside fence, so "U" shape into a fence (two baskets in middle), you can lure to one side, open other side, drop item inside, step on it, shoot it, i guess it works with diagonal entrance too, run in one side, run out other side, block him with the shaft

you can have a pet bear and feed babies to her if you block it inside one single tile, so technically 3 rows of items around tile it standing or 1 layer and a closed fence
bear is a queen in chess, wolf is a bishop

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-04-24 23:19:40

Thorware

Bears can only kill players on open tiles. If you stand on any item, the bear will run back and forth across you but never kill you. It's pretty funny. You must be fearless! This is a very easy way to kill a bear. Just grab bow and arrow, stand on an item, wait for the bear to get right next to you on an open tile, then click.

As long as I'm exposing weird useful bugs that Jason should probably fix, here's another one: Your temperature only updates when you stop moving. If you are planning a long journey, go to a desert and search for a tile with perfect temperature. Then start your journey and never stop moving (either by spam-clicking or holding down left click). You will be at perfect temperature even passing over long snow biomes! It will be quite a long time before you need to eat.

#8 2018-04-25 00:34:44

breezeknight

Thorware wrote:

Bears can only kill players on open tiles. If you stand on any item, the bear will run back and forth across you but never kill you. It's pretty funny. You must be fearless! This is a very easy way to kill a bear. Just grab bow and arrow, stand on an item, wait for the bear to get right next to you on an open tile, then click.

As long as I'm exposing weird useful bugs that Jason should probably fix, here's another one: Your temperature only updates when you stop moving. If you are planning a long journey, go to a desert and search for a tile with perfect temperature. Then start your journey and never stop moving (either by spam-clicking or holding down left click). You will be at perfect temperature even passing over long snow biomes! It will be quite a long time before you need to eat.

those exploits should be probably fixed

anyway, i didn't use any exploits, just dangerously straight forward attack lol

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-25 00:36:00)

#9 2018-04-25 00:43:39

pein

the bear is intended

the other should be prolly fixed, i was running with my daughter in hands toward bell tower, lost like 3-4 boxes and i fed her on the way i guess, so calibrating on desert tile the temperature and running works. i think lag resets it do

im not sure on this but you can hold the kid longer than usual if you dont drop it, never seen a kid pop out your hand unintentionally

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer