One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-04 18:57:26

NoTruePunk

Diagonal reach pls

I think we should be able to reach tiles diagonally from our player. So setting things down/picking them up, and crafting.

ty, pls consider

#2 2020-12-04 19:06:22

Eve Troll

Re: Diagonal reach pls

I would really prefer this never gets added. The strongest and cheapest defensive walls only work with diagonal reach disabled.

#3 2020-12-04 19:17:36

NoTruePunk

Eve Troll wrote:

I would really prefer this never gets added. The strongest and cheapest defensive walls only work with diagonal reach disabled.

I'm confused, what do you mean defensive walls? How would diagonal reach make walls not work? Any diagonal pinch can be walked through

#4 2020-12-04 19:57:57

Eve Troll

The cheapest and strongest walls have a collapsible inner wall and an unbreakable outerwall. Diagonal access would disable that build type since the collapsible section could be accessible via diagonal reach from the exterior. And basically disables any form of defensive build beyond property gates.

Would be devastating and practically castrate defensive walls.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-12-04 20:01:09)

#5 2020-12-04 20:16:58

Arcurus

Eve Troll wrote:

The cheapest and strongest walls have a collapsible inner wall and an unbreakable outerwall. Diagonal access would disable that build type since the collapsible section could be accessible via diagonal reach from the exterior. And basically disables any form of defensive build beyond property gates.

how to build that?

#6 2020-12-04 20:29:09

Eve Troll

wall

#7 2020-12-04 20:34:11

NoTruePunk

That's what property/ally gates are for.

Last edited by NoTruePunk (2020-12-04 20:34:49)

#8 2020-12-04 20:38:24

Eve Troll

No its not. That is a low pop wall. It needs to remain static while people are offline. Your suggestion would kill it and make most walls useless.

Your suggestion would make property/ally gates the only form of defense. Might as well not even have walls at that point. It would disable anyone on low pop from defending their towns.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-12-04 20:38:36)

#9 2020-12-04 20:44:06

NoTruePunk

Eve Troll wrote:

No its not. That is a low pop wall. It needs to remain static while people are offline. Your suggestion would kill it and make most walls useless.

Your suggestion would make property/ally gates the only form of defense. Might as well not even have walls at that point. It would disable anyone on low pop from defending their towns.

Can't you just travel out somewhere unreachable on lowpop?

#10 2020-12-04 20:48:09

NoTruePunk

Eve Troll wrote:

I really don't get this. If someone really wants to grief this all they'd have to do is close up the exits.

#11 2020-12-04 20:49:09

Eve Troll

People will still find and grief your town. Plus if you ever lose your spawn chain it will be nearly impossible to find your way back. There are many people who have spent hundreds of hours building their towns on low pop and this kind of wall structure is our only defense.

#12 2020-12-04 20:58:12

Dodge

It would look really weird, objects teleporting in the hands of players from a distance like they are some kind of jedi using the force.

#13 2020-12-04 20:59:15

Eve Troll

Do you not understand the wall build or how spawn chaining works? Your spawns stay inside while the wall makes the area inaccessible. Your suggestion would literally kill hundreds of hours of peoples work and leave them completely vulnerable. For what? So you can save a few milliseconds and one extra click while working with diagonal tiles? Its really not hard to left click your adjacent tile then right click the tile below or above. If you play with mouse controls you can get really fast, to the point diagonal controls would save you almost no time.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-12-04 21:00:18)

#14 2020-12-04 22:03:55

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

Can't you just travel out somewhere unreachable on lowpop?

Nope.  There's ways that players can find your death spot.  If you got there, than someone else can find you and your town.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#15 2020-12-04 23:32:48

StrongForce

Im a low pop player too and these walls are very important.

Last edited by StrongForce (2020-12-05 17:13:29)

Baby dance!!

#16 2020-12-05 01:03:34

Spoonwood

Redacted.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-05 01:06:33)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#17 2020-12-05 04:39:52

NoTruePunk

Dodge wrote:

It would look really weird, objects teleporting in the hands of players from a distance like they are some kind of jedi using the force.

Oh true it might look a bit odd with smaller objects. A longer leaning motion might be needed to get the visuals right. I think it could be done though, and that's just polish anyway

#18 2020-12-05 04:42:30

NoTruePunk

Eve Troll wrote:

Do you not understand the wall build or how spawn chaining works? Your spawns stay inside while the wall makes the area inaccessible. Your suggestion would literally kill hundreds of hours of peoples work and leave them completely vulnerable. For what? So you can save a few milliseconds and one extra click while working with diagonal tiles? Its really not hard to left click your adjacent tile then right click the tile below or above. If you play with mouse controls you can get really fast, to the point diagonal controls would save you almost no time.

I know about eve chaining, I've been doing it a while. I don't think it's fair to blame griefers on me or let griefers hedge in the game features. Building a game around griefers seems like avoiding the problem here.

#19 2020-12-05 11:30:30

MrsDuckGirl

Some tips to avoid grieffers on low pop servers :

-Never settle at your spawn point or near. The next Eve is gonna spawn really close to you. Before the band update, I would find the closest ruins or Eve camp, set a landmarker, pick any direction and walk at least 500-700 tiles away. Find a good spot to settle and remember how far it is from the landmarker. If you lose your new spawn point, you'll just have to do the same trip again. Now with the band update, I would go east (then north or south) again to avoid new Eves who will spaw west. You're not even obliged to settle very close to the bands, as long as you're not afraid of travelling a bit, you'll get a horse eventually. Talking about horse, I sometimes dedicate my first life to get a horse, just to travel far away. You should find ruins that make this job even easier : some already have mutton or knife.

-Build a 3x3 room with stone walls and a lock door (choose well spot of this room as you won't be able to remove it later). The north walls can be plaster walls with boxes. This is where you'll put all your iron, tools and horse before dying. Hide the key behind a tree farther from your town, go die in another spot. It's a constraint but it never takes more than 2-3min. Later when I'm rich with iron, I would surround the smith area with walls and one locked door. The key for this room would be in the 3x3 locked room.

-Empty all veins around your town. The idea is, if the grieffer wants to destroy my town then he has to work a bit on it. Before the well update I would empty all veins and gather all the loose iron 400 tiles all around my town. No close iron available to make tools.

-I have surrounded my towns with stone walls and made locked doors, but it's a lot of time and I realized that it wasn't always necessary, as I was already very far from the new Eves spawn. Don't forget grieffers are also lazy.

That's all I can think for now. Hope it helps ! And yes, reaching tiles diagonally is a bad idea.

#20 2020-12-05 14:59:43

Eve Troll

NoTruePunk wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

I know about eve chaining, I've been doing it a while. I don't think it's fair to blame griefers on me or let griefers hedge in the game features. Building a game around griefers seems like avoiding the problem here.

The largest walls ever built in this game use this method. Im not blaming you for griefers. But if diagonal access was added it would make those walls useless and basically make hundreds of hours of collective work worthless with no alternative options for build types.

#21 2020-12-06 18:34:21

pein

One way doors are also useful but not many people learned to use it. I wouldn't like diagonal access, it's weird for optical reasons, it's 140% further than neighbouring tiles, also hard to use the keyboard with 2 modifiers, with 8 is impossible to map it nicely.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#22 2020-12-07 02:04:13

NoTruePunk

pein wrote:

One way doors are also useful but not many people learned to use it. I wouldn't like diagonal access, it's weird for optical reasons, it's 140% further than neighbouring tiles, also hard to use the keyboard with 2 modifiers, with 8 is impossible to map it nicely.

You never use a ten-key?

#23 2020-12-07 05:02:14

pein

NoTruePunk wrote:
pein wrote:

You never use a ten-key?

it's just not good for directional stuff
maybe with hexagons would be fine
im not against manny keys, i play PES with 7 modifier crossings, just it wouldn't fit this game

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer