One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-01 08:05:34

Tigerlily

Single Player Mode/Server

The tech tree requires a fair bit of learning for a new player - multiple generations to get to the later tech.
The wiki is out of date. OneTech helps but it's a bit confusing for new players.

I stopped playing about a year ago; got to making cars before my eve chain got interrupted.
Right now, it's pretty impossible trying to learn the all new stuff. The few towns I've spawned in got griefed before I could even figure out what was where.

Is it possible to make a single player server (just one) where players spawn in a location based on a seed input, so that they can re-spawn in the same spot later?
This is so we can continue working on a town and actually practice some of the late game tech?

I realise single player is not part of your 'vision' for the game, but the game will become obsolete without players, and in the current state newer players leave because nobody plays a game just to read a wiki for 20 hours before playing - they want to play and learn as they go. The mother-teaches-child system stopped working even when I stopped playing a year ago - there was no way I was going to learn how to make a car from dear ol' mum since it took like more than an entire iron vein and several generations back then. I have played in private servers before that had a teleport system; but a seed spawn (with a 20 digit seed) seems to have less likelihood for griefing.

#2 2020-12-01 14:46:35

wondible

Re: Single Player Mode/Server

Awbz has a local server build

https://github.com/Awbz/OneLife/releases

Two Hours One Life has spawn seeds and the ability to become infertile, but the crafting tree has diverged significantly; you can practice engine making, but many other things are different.

https://twohoursonelife.com/

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#3 2020-12-03 12:35:26

NoTruePunk

Just go on lowpop and eve chain

#4 2020-12-03 17:06:18

Morti

Tigerlily wrote:

The tech tree requires a fair bit of learning for a new player - multiple generations to get to the later tech.
The wiki is out of date. OneTech helps but it's a bit confusing for new players.

I stopped playing about a year ago; got to making cars before my eve chain got interrupted.
Right now, it's pretty impossible trying to learn the all new stuff. The few towns I've spawned in got griefed before I could even figure out what was where.

Is it possible to make a single player server (just one) where players spawn in a location based on a seed input, so that they can re-spawn in the same spot later?
This is so we can continue working on a town and actually practice some of the late game tech?

I realise single player is not part of your 'vision' for the game, but the game will become obsolete without players, and in the current state newer players leave because nobody plays a game just to read a wiki for 20 hours before playing - they want to play and learn as they go. The mother-teaches-child system stopped working even when I stopped playing a year ago - there was no way I was going to learn how to make a car from dear ol' mum since it took like more than an entire iron vein and several generations back then. I have played in private servers before that had a teleport system; but a seed spawn (with a 20 digit seed) seems to have less likelihood for griefing.

NoTruePunk wrote:

Just go on lowpop and eve chain

Go here, http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report
See the list of servers?
Wu8p6Ko.png

Pick one and open the game,
select settings,
jTVsHo1.png

click Use Custom Server,
Ffhqh8r.png

enter the name the custom server.
Easy to just place your cursor next to the number (#), if it just says server#, just backspace or delete the # and
type in the server's number you want to go to.
KgdOZzP.png

Click back.
IIPKLD9.png

Click Login
XjzTqbk.png

The loading screen will tell you name of the server you're logging onto.
iXgw7k7.png

Now, here is the tricky part, you have to live to 60, as far as I know, and you will reappear where you die.
Right on top of your body.
So long as the population is below 15 I think, you can work in any biome.

If you are born near someone elses stuff, you can run away to a new spot that hasn't been used or visited or anything, or, you can work with their stuff and help to improve their camp, village or town.

Just make sure you have Use Custom Server checked and live to 60.

If there is someone there, and they are fertile, good chance you will be born to them. Be respectful.
It may not work on server1, as I think it's the backup server for bigserver2 or something and does not include the ability to chain lives as an Eve.

These details are very likely to change, like the url for the addresses; maybe write them down,
or, the rules on certain servers.

But this should get you onto a custom server.
Don't let the name custom server, dissuade you; everything is pretty much  the same.

#5 2020-12-03 17:55:15

Spoonwood

2HOL has a system where you can enter a seed and respawn back there regardless of whether you live to 120, 60, or die earlier.  There does exist some fertility control in low pop using the old homeland system with well radius when a server has less than 15 players on it/you were born when a server has less than 15 players on it... something along those lines.  I'm sure that one can get homesick in low pop by being *only* outside of a well radius.  But, in 2HOL one can turn off fertility by commands such as "NO BB" and then turn back on fertility by a command like "I WANT BB" (there exist other ways to have the same effects).  2HOL is also free.  It is a different game, not having food generational decline, a different water system (that OHOL once had), and some other things.  But, it might come as more suited to your needs than one of Jason's usually low pop servers.  Also, were it the case that something resulted in many servers meeting conditions to overflow players to other servers, in principle, all of Jason's servers could become like bigserver2.  One's projects come as a little more safe in 2HOL if you ask me, or on a private server.

2HOL (Two Hours One Life) is also free.

Morti wrote:

Right on top of your body.

It's close, but it does come as a little bit off of your body.  Theoretically, that could have some uses.  Some people were able to effectively jump over rifts from what I remember reading about people playing low pop during that time period.  The detail that it's just a bit off of your bones here still has possible other uses.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-03 17:56:05)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer