One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-10-20 12:53:05

Spoonwood

Re: Coming soon: Specialty Biome and Homland geographic banding

JonySky wrote:

First ... I must repeat that the trade will not work, the reason is the same as until now ... because it is not necessary to trade when you can steal or loot without complications

And probably anyone who understands this game, won't end up blaming thieves or looters, even if they want to.  How can you blame someone who looted an engine from a dead town, when you can readily find enough (planned) town locations which can't get enough iron to build their own engine, or they are really close to not making it?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#52 2020-10-20 13:32:28

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Eves will be placed in their appropriate bands

Unless over riden by Eve chaining?

Constant single player only, or needing to travel away from one's home town in order to have some help/someone to play with, I don't think is what low pop players are looking for.

Danish Clinch.

#53 2020-10-20 14:22:15

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

It's 16 different servers.  bigserver2, and servers 1 through server 15.  Sure, that looks like a minor detail.  What is not so minor is that to have different servers with their own story, the game also would need more players, or the game has to be appealing enough in itself for low populations of players.  It would also require more code.  It would also be rather different than how the current game designer runs things.  It'd probably require a different philosophy for game development.

Yeah i said a random number didn't remember exactly how many there is, anyway even though that design would obviously be better with more players and is aimed with this in mind, it wouldn't be a necessity, you could simply code it that if you didn't have kids because of low player count and you manage to live to 60 then next player that logs in gets reborn as a member of the same lineage so it keeps going.

Since the lineage died because of meta circumstances and not in game ones then it can keep going.

But even with low players you would still have enough (probably) to make the story in 1-2 servers interesting and in the other ones you would basically respawn as the same lineage in the same place if you died previously to 60 and no one else logged in.

#54 2020-10-20 15:20:50

JonySky
Website

Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

I never said there should be a steady state, at some point it should evolve from each village doing their own thing to something more global where every civilisation that has been made lives in the world and interact with each other to progress, what even is your logic here?

Constant evolution is also a form of steady state, or appears as such on the move.  Again, the design of the game is such that families are deliberately doomed to end.  Evolution of the family doesn't really change that.  Also, it's ALWAYS "you died" at the end of an hour most, and a shorter time period otherwise.  There is no survival in the end.

Dodge wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

how would some finite map (or even the current system when I think about it), filled with almost entirely, if not entirely, new players work?

How would it not work?

Dodge, you want to claim that such would work.  The burden of proof is thus on you.

Lack of space wasn't the problem with new players on server1 or server2 during the recent sale.

Dodge wrote:

I just explained what i value, having an end is not an issue the issue is that it's always the same pattern and nothing really ends up happening with everything being made, you make the village, the village dies, repeat.

Nothing happens after civilisations are being made they dont live in this world they only die, they dont have any story, you just make them to make them but they dont end up existing in this world and in a couple of hours build new ones again just for the sake of building new ones.

So what you value could get described as permenance?  That you could leave behind a legacy that could last?

I think you're speaking more clearly than you were before Dodge.

Dodge wrote:

Picture the start of a new world, the beginning, Eve's spawn, families are made, civilisations are built, these civilisations interact with each other in order to progress and during that progression anything can happen but eventually if we played our cards right and didn't die due to poor management of ressources or bad relationships between civilisations then we reach a point where the lineages that made it up to here are advanced in a level of tech where they can build something that allows them to escape that presumed inevitability and essentially not end up doomed, and keep going.

I think they would have to have a steady state at that point of high technology then.  I don't see how such is consistent with "Everything Runs Out" or "Evolve or Die".

Dodge wrote:

Cant migrate or make outposts because everyone is stuck birthing in their own village, lineages die in a couple of days so no point of having anything long term, you cant really make trading roads between villages because it keeps expanding into infinity so the villages dont build any history or identity and eventually get lost, interactions arent really interesting since they are based on a forced predictability, you HAVE to get latex from the brown people instead of having a choice between getting it yourself but with some sort of cost like more dangerous to be in jungle for someone that isn't native from that region or interact with brown people.

I think I agree with everything here.  It's pretty bad.

Dodge wrote:

Now what if you werent forced to interact with browns to get latex, what if you had the choice between interacting with them or getting it another way although that other way would also have it's pros and cons.

If players had such a choice, I don't see how the current game designer would be deisgning this game.  He isn't able to design a game using such methods.  And I find it doubtful that he could work well with people who know how to do such.  Not from what I've seen at least.

Dodge wrote:

Since you dont NEED them for survival it means you have the CHOICE wether or not you would make that ressource available or not and since you wouldn't strictly need them to reach end game then there would be advantages to keeping that ressource for yourself and advantages aswell in trading it, in other words it would become a decision that depends on the situation and not some forced thing that you have to do by obligation everytime, bland.

Such definitely sounds more interesting to me.  I think it might also work better for new players, since they would have more possibility of happening upon such somewhat by chance, or clumsily.

Dodge wrote:

There's 12 different servers they could all have their own story, their own world.

It's 16 different servers.  bigserver2, and servers 1 through server 15.  Sure, that looks like a minor detail.  What is not so minor is that to have different servers with their own story, the game also would need more players, or the game has to be appealing enough in itself for low populations of players.  It would also require more code.  It would also be rather different than how the current game designer runs things.  It'd probably require a different philosophy for game development.

We are an average of 50 players and we have 16 servers
If we place 1 eve on each server, there will be 3 players left in each family or server ...
I don't want to imagine how "fun" this situation can be

#55 2020-10-20 15:22:57

DestinyCall

Gogo wrote:

For 1st - it was my idea! xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9443

For 2nd - ROADS. With old map Eve's were spawning toward west, I suppose now the same but families will have vertical distance from each other. That just means we need more roads, like one vertical paved road and roads to that paved road. hmm No? <this goes to 3rd...>

For 3rd - can planes have extra load, more like truck? Can we build landing strips in alive towns? And make couple of them for each biome, can they be permanent?

Nah, it was my idea first.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5246

#56 2020-10-20 15:28:08

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

If we place 1 eve on each server, there will be 3 players left in each family or server ...

Never said we should spread the playerbase, obviously the player distribution per server should stay the same.

#57 2020-10-20 15:33:30

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Never said we should spread the playerbase, obviously the player distribution per server should stay the same.

sorry Dodge, it was just a thought...
Yes, I understood that your idea was not exactly this

Last edited by JonySky (2020-10-20 15:34:54)

#58 2020-10-20 16:35:24

Arcurus

What i like is, that this would make the map make little bit closer to our world.

I would place Jungle in the bottom then desert, since like this it is in our world.

Whites to have free reign sounds great. Maybe we then only need three bands and whites are just randomly placed.

Instead of restricted childbirth i would suggest to use a mechanic that comes closer to our world. All races can have children everywhere.
If a race give birth in another biome belt, there is a 20% change to change the race according to the biome.

And no children on horses or in car.

To the biomes itself, i would make it more natural, like Swamp placing like rivers / lakes, then green or jungle then yellow or desert then mountain with snow inside mountain. With Jungle / Desert / Snow only showing up in their belt.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-10-20 16:38:51)

#59 2020-10-20 16:46:26

Arcurus

By the way, just happend to try out with the help of PX how it would be to import a map from an png picture.
In short each biome has a color code, so you can hand draw the map.
Used one of Jasons not used blue biomes for rivers and another one for oceans.

The hole idea is to create a more realistic map...

Here an example map. Its just an example made in 15 minutes to test the alg. A real map will be at least 4 times bigger and a bigger gap between snow and desert. Green biomes will be auto placed around rivers in yellow or desert biome. The other gray on top of mountains is also snow biome in high altitude.

The hole alg was quite easy to program, just would have to be converted to C++.

S4mONui.png

https://imgur.com/S4mONui

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-10-20 16:56:12)

#60 2020-10-20 17:29:00

Dodge

Maps from pictures would be amazing, it's really easy and fast to draw and makes it possible to have oceans in the game, this plus you can arrange the biomes in a certain way that makes it interesting to be played:

draft3.png

Here each special biomes are on a separate continent but most importantly they are surrounded by an outer layer, so for example the jungle and the deep jungle in the center.

All the most important ressources would only be in the center biome so you would have to cross the outer layer to get to it but the outer layer would have mosquitoes and other dangers for the other biomes this plus the more extreme temperatures.

Browns for example would be immune to mosquitoes and be much more comfortable with jungle temperatures than the other races but whites, blacks etc could still go there and get ressources like latex it would just be much more dangerous than trading with the browns, but they would have the choice and wouldn't be forced to do so.

#61 2020-10-21 13:24:43

wondible

I added a simple band overlay to the map (overlays are in toggled in upper right) based on the current numbers being thrown around. You might need to refresh the browser.

http://onemap.wondible.com/

At 300 it looks like the current civilized world is mostly within two bands, although often more spread out horizontally.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#62 2020-10-21 21:56:13

Spoonwood

Eve Troll wrote:

The world doesnt work like this and one of the most interesting thing about our planet is its diversity.

This change continues further down the line of making a poorer world.  The random biomes with the dynamic temperature system present at Steam release until the temperature overhaul was the richest the OHOL world has ever been in terms of its environment.  Then came the static temperature, making the OHOL world less dynamic.  Then came the locking of specialty biomes inside of badlands, making them less present.  And making fewer biome types appear in a given average area.  Then came race restrictions, which with the dropsy, made exploring punishing and confusing to new players, and vets who thought there might be exceptions like bananas on edges.  Now this making biomes more regular, and even more predictable.

And what about new players when they explore the world for the first time?  They're likely to see an even poorer one then before.  How would they be more interested than before, since there will basically be less for them to explore?

Danish Clinch.

#63 2020-10-22 02:18:50

Spoonwood

I just played on a server with less than 15 people on it, where a player Eve-chaining in a town kept me and then I had a child also who wasn't the player Eve-chaining.  With this change, I suspect I would likely just end up as an Eve, since I'll guess that the player Eve-chaining overrides her getting put in another band, and she'll end up as a race that can't birth a child in that band?  Or will players Eve chaining always end up as the same race?

Danish Clinch.

#64 2020-10-22 15:03:43

Spoonwood

Also, what if Eve spawns at the top or bottom of her band, and then runs north or south?  The trailer says that the first player on the server will be Eve.  And the next player will be her child.  That might not happen depending on how spawning works.  Though, I don't particularly like that the trailer says that, because I'm not so sure it has made for a good choice for the first player to be Eve and the second to be her child.

Danish Clinch.

#65 2020-10-22 15:23:35

Gogo
Banned

Pls make whites free people. xD It was my latest kind of gameplay to leave dull town and join another family.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-10-22 15:25:01)

#66 2020-10-24 03:34:19

Spoonwood

Please don't make whites "free people" in the sense of being able to have babies anywhere.  Doing that would lead to more white characters, on average, than any other race.  The issues with doing that involve whites not being able to obtain resources.  Also, it would further reflect a white supremacist bias of the game, which it already has, since there exist two white races with Gingers as a white race, one brown race, and one black race.

Danish Clinch.

#67 2020-10-25 01:24:46

wondible

I created a simulation of the biome banding on the map; the easiest way to do it was a virtual different server.

http://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-109329&y … 1603572579

This is based on my current understanding and guesswork. Jason may align things differently, change sizes, or perhaps fuzz the edges a bit.

(Updated version is coming up for me, but you may need a refresh)

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#68 2020-10-26 03:31:08

loolj

Good idea but apocalypse fix?

#69 2020-10-26 13:38:40

NoTruePunk

Spoonwood wrote:

Please don't make whites "free people" in the sense of being able to have babies anywhere.  Doing that would lead to more white characters, on average, than any other race.  The issues with doing that involve whites not being able to obtain resources.  Also, it would further reflect a white supremacist bias of the game, which it already has, since there exist two white races with Gingers as a white race, one brown race, and one black race.

The first issue could be solved algorithmically. The second issue is... systemic...

Board footer