One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-10-19 21:48:15

Spoonwood

Re: Coming soon: Specialty Biome and Homland geographic banding

Dodge wrote:

That's cool but you still force players to play a certain way instead of them having to make a decision about what is the best way to handle a particular situation.

Nice QOL update but what is your endgame with that?

There's not supposed to a steady state if I recall what the "Everything Runs Out" post says.  So, there is no end game.  Or the end game is just death of the lineage, and death of the town.  The end game is that everyone is doomed, and doomed by design.

Dodge wrote:

I dont know if you played the game recently but it's extremly boring there's really nothing to look forward in the long run, Be Eve, make town, town dies, repeat.

What could there to be to look forward to in the long run when everything is doomed a priori?

Dodge wrote:

The rift was SHIT for multiple reasons mainly because it was WAY too small but at least there was something exciting going on, each arc had a story and a common goal that players could reach together.

All rifts got reset, and were doomed a priori to get wiped also.  Additionally, Dodge since you want to think through the finite map thoroughly, I encourage you to think through what it needs to be like if say server6 filled up, with the current system of how servers with, with server1, then s2, ... , s5 filling up as new players start joining.  Some experienced players, perhaps the majority on discord, check bigserver2 as a custom server, and during a sale some experienced players may be likely to do that.  If s6 got filled up, how would some finite map (or even the current system when I think about it), filled with almost entirely, if not entirely, new players work?

Dodge wrote:

Right now the game just feels pointless, make the new racing car, cool... awesome... great... now what?

I don't know what you value Dodge.  But, I think you're going to have to figure that sort of thing out for yourself, since if you're doomed to die by design, and your family is doomed to die by design, I think that finding something satisfying will end up as your own personal responsibility.  Maybe it's something other than playing OHOL, since perhaps other games don't have a philosophy that dooms everyone to a finite end.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#27 2020-10-19 21:51:00

Spoonwood

fug wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

What? Everyone will have iron calm down

No, they won't.  Some black, brown, jungle Eve, or their children will place a wellsite on some spot with no iron mines along the ley line with a black Eve.  I saw that happen last week, and it's not hard to do.

If you make a well with no iron on the ley line you can make a second well to trigger iron nodes.

So that's a change that's coming, right?

Danish Clinch.

#28 2020-10-19 21:57:37

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

You forgot to add the gingers to the list but i guess it's intentional since it doesn't fit your narrative of "tHe GaMe Is RaCiSt", or maybe you dont consider them white, who knows

Gingers have access to working oil rigs, which are the most technologically advanced objects in the game.  Ginger people being a subtype of whites in the real world thus only goes to show that the game is racist even further, as Eve Troll first realized in another thread: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=10148  Only whites having the ability to understand all languages is a sign of superior intelligence.  Having the ability to perform the most technologically advanced tasks is a further sign of superior intelligence.  Other races don't have signs of having the same level of intelligence.  Hence, the game is white supremacist and racist.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-19 22:30:08)

Danish Clinch.

#29 2020-10-19 21:58:53

Eve Troll

I hate this. Exploring and finding a good spot is one of the best parts of the game and now its just going to be boring as hell. Plus all this means is more walking... yay.

How about making the game more interesting and exciting than dull and predictable. Interesting for the players, not interesting for you.

The world doesnt work like this and one of the most interesting thing about our planet is its diversity. Why in gods name would you think its a good idea to remove that diversity and create a predictable and bland structure. Is it because you think the games too easy, or too hard? All i see this as is you indulging your own curiosity instead of actually trying to make adjustments to make the game better.

#30 2020-10-19 22:13:16

BlueCramberry64

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't think twisted's maps show this, but each family would have the same width "band" for their homeland.  Maybe 300 tiles tall.

Beyond that, further to the North and South would be the end of the specialty biomes entirely.  So Gingers or Desert folks wouldn't have "bigger" homelands than anyone else.  In those regions, there will just be mountains in the "highest spots" in the topographical map.

White folks would only have their official homeland in the middle, even though there ARE mountains in the "no man's lands" further North and South.

Nice, I really like this idea. Really exited to see the return of nomadic playstyle. Thou 300 sounds a bit small to me. No matter how infinite they are to the sides, it is just a bit taller than the rift for the four colors in general.  I am guessing Iron and water will still work the same right? Sort of hate the "find a nicely placed spring" system.

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

Gingers can live in snow biome so can we have tribal hut (bamboo) buildings in jungle and sandstone buildings in desert?

If that were to happen it would be soooo amazing! Would make the change totally worth it in my eyes.

Last edited by BlueCramberry64 (2020-10-19 22:20:40)

#31 2020-10-19 22:14:15

Spoonwood

cordy wrote:

When triggering unlock of iron veins due to a primary homeland, we only count it as a primary homeland if it taps out at least one iron vein. Thus, if a family makes a bad choice for their first well in an area with no iron veins, they can move later to a spot with iron veins and unlock them with a new well site. Fixes #590

"So, after I played with the white family (Stars, I think) as Dhiya Rose as described elsewhere, I check the onehouronelife.com before I log in and guess that the Stars had died out. I got born as Jace Alon, and start running left. I get 2.8k for the white family at one point, and then find a horse cart. I manage to find the Eve, Eve Pickens, and she has 9 stones on a natural spring. I scout along the ley line in both directions, and there's ONLY ONE iron vein.

I come back to her well site, fed her as she almost starved, and move the rocks off of the natural spring with 9 stones on it. I find another spot and lead her to a spot in a swamp, which has at least two iron veins along the ley line (arguably, I'm cheating, because I'm using a horsecart). I bring her stones, place them in a pile, and she places them on the natural spring. NO IRON got unlocked. I guess someone else had completed the well site elsewhere? Her last words 'prolly' were, I think, a response to me asking her: "I guess someone else completed the other well site?" or something like that. But, when I went back and looked at that natural spring, it was dry. I didn't think of it during my life, but did I mess up their well sites entirely by removing stones from their original natural spring? Edit: There was 4 iron at the single iron vein along ley line where the Eve had placed stones. But, the corresponding spring was dry. And the other spring (which didn't unlock any iron) said "Pickens family well site" or something like that."

A well site that is one in name only and unlocks no iron for a shovel, is meaningless as a "well site".  A well site that becomes dry due to another natural spring having rocks thrown on it by the Eve (when it was her children, I suppose completing a well site), won't become a well either.

Also, the same report says this:

"Today I got born as Pota . We were on the edge of a swamp in a grassland. There was a ready well site. Alright, so my "mother" had trouble feeding me.

I logged back in, hoping to go to that place and help out, and was Alyssa Tear. I eat some in town and then get moving left, find a desert, and head to the new black family. I end up finding a horsecart, and then also a spot with no one living there, and import some things to the blacks.

I don't see any iron on the right side of the fault line of the ready well site. I talk to some man in town and he says he didn't find any iron far around. I did look some on the left side of the fault line of the well site, and it didn't seem like any iron existed on that line also. So, I end up exploring, and then convince blacks to move to another site where several muddy iron veins are on the same fault line. Swamps seemed kind of far. When the well site got made though by some member of the Choi family apparently, no iron got unlocked from the veins (though maybe some iron got recovered there later by someone else?)."

Was there a single iron vein unlocked in that case?  It's not clear whether such existed or not, but it wasn't 40 tiles left of the well, I think.

Original source of quotes: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/691

Families trying to build on one iron vein do NOT have a plan of rebuilding from scratch, unless, I suppose *all* of the other families are ALSO rebuilding from scratch.  Resettling a dead town?  Looting a dead town?  Perhaps those things are necessary, but they are NOT rebuilding from scratch.

Danish Clinch.

#32 2020-10-19 22:16:07

antking:]#

will things such as a tattoo still need to be made in a jungle biome?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#33 2020-10-19 23:31:18

SirCaio

Kinda off topic but the maps show a secondary blue-ish color at the lowest altitudes, does this mean anything? Also, the placement of grasslands and swamps seen to be inverted.

#34 2020-10-20 00:27:05

Rookwood

Sounds cool.  Will probably need some tweaking but I think it's better than the current system for sure.

#35 2020-10-20 00:33:58

Eve Troll

Rookwood wrote:

Sounds cool.  Will probably need some tweaking but I think it's better than the current system for sure.

Its attitudes like this that will ruin this game. Jason doesnt need to be encouraged to make bad decisions.

#36 2020-10-20 02:13:30

Legs

This is a neat idea and I like it. You're always born near your biome. It's helpful and intuitive. The idea of making the white family free range is very interesting and I would love to see what would happen if they were. We'd see multicultural towns again, but not self-sufficient ones like before. The white townies might actually be useful as traders here. It opens up gameplay options for primitive camps and nomad lines too.

So- this specialty biome band system delineates east-west from north-south where previously biomes had been generated with a more even distribution that played well with an endless map. How will this update the geographic placement of player settlements? It's looking like a steady westward march through the territory as resources dry up. Since the homeland is tied to specialty biome now, families should have more longevity since they can migrate within the band right? Just move west and start over when things are looking tough. Bring a couple kids with carts full of stuff and you'll do fine.

Loco Motion

#37 2020-10-20 02:14:54

wondible

SirCaio wrote:

Kinda off topic but the maps show a secondary blue-ish color at the lowest altitudes, does this mean anything? Also, the placement of grasslands and swamps seen to be inverted.

Those are Twisted's images; he made them from the map, but seeds (past biome display) were broken at the time, so he used the 2hol map, which has small seas and the swapped bands.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#38 2020-10-20 02:19:16

wondible

Legs wrote:

It's looking like a steady westward march through the territory as resources dry up.

Which is what we have now, with only a tiny amount of greater freedom to settle north or south.

Since the homeland is tied to specialty biome now, families should have more longevity since they can migrate within the band right? Just move west and start over when things are looking tough. Bring a couple kids with carts full of stuff and you'll do fine.

Nope, still only get one iron-raising event per family (barring other changes, not discussed by Jason above)

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#39 2020-10-20 03:02:02

JackTreehorn

I think this update would be bad. There's nothing exciting here, all it does is remove map variety and increase the amount of travel to meet other families.
Nothing good is being added, all it does is make it harder for the players. It only adds less map variety and less family interaction.
It's not going to change the meta in an interesting way.
I'm not going to suggest any improvements because no good will come from this.
If you thought homelands were bad just wait for this.
Homelands made sense, You need to be around other people and in a safe environment to have a child. Women in the wilderness by themselves shouldn't have children.
It will mess up homelands so women will have children when away from home on a horse if in their "band".
We won't be able to make those long east/west roads connecting our towns. It will have to be north south roads and a new one will have to be made when a family dies out.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2020-10-20 03:05:38)

Eve Audette

#40 2020-10-20 03:36:36

Spoonwood

Before it was possible to travel to another family's site and then spend the rest of your time getting out resources of race restricted biomes *for* them.  It was also possible to not do so, and then head home similar to what this new system suggests as desireable.  There were more potentialities for travelers before.

This new system makes traveling as say a type with jungle access to a town where players have snow access rather useless for purposes of getting them more resources, since doing that will involve more running back and forth.  Players that use to gift to other families?  They get NOTHING from this change, and their play style gets rejected as meaningful.  Since "trading" has often been gifting, and such kills off, or is likely to decrease such gifting, it makes it more likely that fewer resource transfers happen.

Since this new system, basically only appears likely to work with exchanges as more frequent, it seems rather sure that the overall difficulty for the whole server goes up (given that the end goal is technology with engines, oils, radios, and a diverse food supply).  In other words, the game gets more challenging.  But, too much challenge is a source of boredom.  Too much challenge results in anxiety, and too much anxiety leads to a loss of interest with respect to that something.  And it is very easy for people who want to play games to feel that playing that game is too challenging, especially a game like this one.

Perhaps it will appear to work at first.  But, seriously, for all of those in favor of this change, imagine how it would work with a population of players where 90%+ of them are new.  Like what happened to server1, and to an even greater extent, server2 during the September sale.

Jason's dream has been to have *all* of the servers filled with players, and that would mean that most of the servers would have far more NEW players than experienced players, since some experienced players will deliberately check a custom server, and inevitably, players who understand the game's system far outnumber those who don't.

For anyone supporting this change, do you really think that such a change makes it more possible for a large group of new players on a server to succeed in a one hour context?  If so, then by all means, explain how this change makes such more likely to happen, because I'm really not seeing how making gifting more thankless makes that more likely.

I'm not seeing how making gifting more thankless makes things more interesting.  I'm not seeing how gifting involving more travel time makes things more interesting.  In contrast, it seems like the reverse, that by demotivating gifting, it makes things more boring.

Eves spawning in their bands also sends them out to the left faster.  So, an established town will likely be further right than before.  It won't surprise me if this spreads families out even more over time.

Human experience is NOT enriched by discouraging types of behavior.  Human experience is shrunk by discouraging types of behavior effectively.  This change discourages some types of behavior.  It leads to a poorer game on that count.

And it makes things even more long-term likely to collapse or not get to higher levels.  Was nothing learned from the sale where when the abundance of towns couldn't advance, the people who bought the game on sale, appeared to get bored and leave rather quickly?

Danish Clinch.

#41 2020-10-20 03:40:41

Spoonwood

JackTreeHorn wrote:

It will mess up homelands so women will have children when away from home on a horse if in their "band".

Yes!  More players abandonded will likely be a result.  Such encourages /die mentality also for players that stick around, I think.

JackTreeHorn wrote:

We won't be able to make those long east/west roads connecting our towns. It will have to be north south roads and a new one will have to be made when a family dies out.

Yes!  And with more families struggling to get to higher technology levels with less gifting going on as likely, what will be the motivation for roads, since why build a road if no one or hardly anyone will ever use it?

Danish Clinch.

#42 2020-10-20 04:02:41

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I really like the idea of living in the specialty biomes, but the way you're suggesting seems kinda bad. They seem WAY too spread in that teaser image.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#43 2020-10-20 04:07:23

JackTreehorn

The only reason people were complaining about homelands was that they couldn't have babies in another families town. They wanted more interaction not less.
This change is not going to fix that, it's only going to make other families harder to visit.

There's two competing ultimate goals here.
1. to have families live close enough they can join forces and build the ultimate capital city which is great for rpers in late game, but some would consider boring for people wanting to do the initial stages of city building. You would need to add in more late game tech if this was your favoured goal Jason.

2. Have families live reasonably far apart and set up roads and trading (gifting). Which is great for people who like to do the initial stages but is boring for people who want more interaction and have become bored of "build the bakery" "set up the pen" every time they get born. Sometimes these towns only have like five people in them which is very stale.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2020-10-20 04:08:54)

Eve Audette

#44 2020-10-20 04:47:56

NoTruePunk

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I really like the idea of living in the specialty biomes, but the way you're suggesting seems kinda bad. They seem WAY too spread in that teaser image.

The eve snake will still push people west. So that measly 500-1k meter difference between top and bottom is nothing compared to the 4k+ meters the families will be apart horizontally.

#45 2020-10-20 04:54:25

NoTruePunk

Spoonwood wrote:

Before it was possible to travel to another family's site and then spend the rest of your time getting out resources of race restricted biomes *for* them.  It was also possible to not do so, and then head home similar to what this new system suggests as desireable.  There were more potentialities for travelers before.

This new system makes traveling as say a type with jungle access to a town where players have snow access rather useless for purposes of getting them more resources, since doing that will involve more running back and forth.  Players that use to gift to other families?  They get NOTHING from this change, and their play style gets rejected as meaningful.  Since "trading" has often been gifting, and such kills off, or is likely to decrease such gifting, it makes it more likely that fewer resource transfers happen.

That type of "gifting" is meta gameplay. It's going to be rough on desert fams though. Gingers will already have rubber from jungle fam so carting 8 bowls of sulfur north to gingers won't do them much good. They'd be more interested in your horse, which isn't a trade option if you want to return to your family.

#46 2020-10-20 04:56:15

NoTruePunk

JackTreehorn wrote:

This change is not going to fix that, it's only going to make other families harder to visit.

If the eve snake gets changed so each fam has their own then it should push people west slower. Idk how the eve snake will work if each specialty eve spawns within her biome band.

#47 2020-10-20 05:02:08

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

There's not supposed to a steady state if I recall what the "Everything Runs Out" post says.  So, there is no end game.  Or the end game is just death of the lineage, and death of the town.  The end game is that everyone is doomed, and doomed by design.

I never said there should be a steady state, at some point it should evolve from each village doing their own thing to something more global where every civilisation that has been made lives in the world and interact with each other to progress, what even is your logic here?

You can have constant progression without having the same meta of Eve creates village, village dies etc...

Spoonwood wrote:

how would some finite map (or even the current system when I think about it), filled with almost entirely, if not entirely, new players work?

How would it not work?

If you're talking about space the answer is easy dont make it a fucking tiny box, obviously if you try to cramp up the whole world population in a small city you're going to have issues.

Spoonwood wrote:

I don't know what you value Dodge.  But, I think you're going to have to figure that sort of thing out for yourself, since if you're doomed to die by design, and your family is doomed to die by design

I just explained what i value, having an end is not an issue the issue is that it's always the same pattern and nothing really ends up happening with everything being made, you make the village, the village dies, repeat.

Nothing happens after civilisations are being made they dont live in this world they only die, they dont have any story, you just make them to make them but they dont end up existing in this world and in a couple of hours build new ones again just for the sake of building new ones.

In a sense it's almost disrespectful to players, they build all these towns, farms, they put thought and effort into making them a certain way, build roads only for the game to tell them that it really doesn't count for much and that it will get lost in a couple of hours.

It's basically the equivalent of telling the first human that discovered the wheel and spent his life trying to make something out of it, that it's basically useless because in a couple of years someone will have to reinvent the wheel again and build it and even see it being destroyed.

How motivated would that person be to keep doing it?

Being doomed to die by design is not an issue as long as there's enough time between that beginning and end, but right now it's like putting the first few blocks in tetris, starting to arrange a structure the best way possible with the given blocks and then the game just restarts and you have to put the first blocks again.

If you think about it in a sense we are also doomed by design at one point the sun will explode, or collapse on itself, or wathever and we will all die, but between now and that very distant future anything can happen also maybe it's not the end because who knows what could happen, it could be has crazy has we become so advanced that we are able to create a new sun or multiple tiny little ones, a portable sun in every home, pocket sun, wallet, keychain sun.

Or space travel and migration to a new solar system, who knows.

But no the issue is not that we are doomed by design the issue would be if i told you we are doomed in 1000 or so years or 1-2 days in real time and then have to start over without having what we made becoming anything significant.

But you know what i'll play along let's say that being doomed by design is the real issue here.

Picture the start of a new world, the beginning, Eve's spawn, families are made, civilisations are built, these civilisations interact with each other in order to progress and during that progression anything can happen but eventually if we played our cards right and didn't die due to poor management of ressources or bad relationships between civilisations then we reach a point where the lineages that made it up to here are advanced in a level of tech where they can build something that allows them to escape that presumed inevitability and essentially not end up doomed, and keep going.

In game think of it has like an apocalypse but in the opposite way, every civilisation build a common spacecraft or wathever other structure and when it's done all the remaining families and players travel to another world where they start over, but the families are still alive the players are still alive so essentially they arent doomed as long as they are able to reach that point, that end game, then they can live on, they could even go on indefinitly.

Now picture this with the current "infinite" map and the current forced scarcity and forced interaction mechanics.

Cant migrate or make outposts because everyone is stuck birthing in their own village, lineages die in a couple of days so no point of having anything long term, you cant really make trading roads between villages because it keeps expanding into infinity so the villages dont build any history or identity and eventually get lost, interactions arent really interesting since they are based on a forced predictability, you HAVE to get latex from the brown people instead of having a choice between getting it yourself but with some sort of cost like more dangerous to be in jungle for someone that isn't native from that region or interact with brown people.

And since you dont have the choice it means you HAVE to do it, and since it's the only option in order to survive then might as well just give the latex and palm to other families otherwise they will die and you end up shooting yourself in the foot if you dont do it.

So very uninteresting gameplay and forced predictability.

Now what if you werent forced to interact with browns to get latex, what if you had the choice between interacting with them or getting it another way although that other way would also have it's pros and cons.

Since you dont NEED them for survival it means you have the CHOICE wether or not you would make that ressource available or not and since you wouldn't strictly need them to reach end game then there would be advantages to keeping that ressource for yourself and advantages aswell in trading it, in other words it would become a decision that depends on the situation and not some forced thing that you have to do by obligation everytime, bland.

And since you wouldn't strictly need other civilisations to reach end game then anything could happen and you wouldn't shoot yourself in the foot by doing any interaction with other families that isn't part of some forced script.

So being doomed by design like you say is not an inevitability.

There's 12 different servers they could all have their own story, their own world.

In server1 all the civilisations died except the browns, they struggle to keep going but they almost reached the last step in tech and gathered all the materials.

In server2 its a new beginning, the previous lineages didn't make it and all ended up dead, millions of years passed and all the previous traces of civilisations are long gone, it's a brand new world just starting.

In server3 all lineages are still alive but the essential ressources start to become scarce and they havent reached the next step in tech so they cant exploit new sources of materials, what will happen?

Etc...

But instead we have this...

#48 2020-10-20 05:14:55

Eve Troll

Change is good, but this change isnt.

Issue i saw with "diverse" biomes before was that they didnt hold enough value. As in not containing anything of worth, even on lay lines. Big deserts with no sulfur, snow with no oil or fishing, jungle with no.. nosaj. Anyway. Biome restrictions suck. All jason is doing is slapping another massive bandaid on the 30 or so others to make biome restrictions "work".

Quit being consumed by your own pride jason. Respect your players, admit your faults, and try and build something great for everyone.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-10-20 05:16:32)

#49 2020-10-20 10:39:14

JonySky
Website

I have more fun reading these forums than playing the game ...

First ... I must repeat that the trade will not work, the reason is the same as until now ... because it is not necessary to trade when you can steal or loot without complications

Creating new mechanics and mods to try to force trade (again) is like stumbling over the same stone

There is also no bargaining chip, nor are there shops, there is nothing special to trade, there are no trades, there are no specialists, everyone can do everything

trying to implement trade in a sloppy way and without a purpose is absurd

I must add that ...
The game has become very predictable and boring, it's always the same ...

the cities are the same
the biomes are the same
the tasks are the same
even the 40 players are the same!

I think this new update is going to make the game even more boring ...

The game does not need this update ...
The game needs new challenges
currently everything is based on water and iron ... there is nothing else

Sorry but the game won't improve with a map change ...
I appreciate Jason's effort, but it's not a good approach

Last edited by JonySky (2020-10-20 15:25:15)

#50 2020-10-20 12:48:09

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

I never said there should be a steady state, at some point it should evolve from each village doing their own thing to something more global where every civilisation that has been made lives in the world and interact with each other to progress, what even is your logic here?

Constant evolution is also a form of steady state, or appears as such on the move.  Again, the design of the game is such that families are deliberately doomed to end.  Evolution of the family doesn't really change that.  Also, it's ALWAYS "you died" at the end of an hour most, and a shorter time period otherwise.  There is no survival in the end.

Dodge wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

how would some finite map (or even the current system when I think about it), filled with almost entirely, if not entirely, new players work?

How would it not work?

Dodge, you want to claim that such would work.  The burden of proof is thus on you.

Lack of space wasn't the problem with new players on server1 or server2 during the recent sale.

Dodge wrote:

I just explained what i value, having an end is not an issue the issue is that it's always the same pattern and nothing really ends up happening with everything being made, you make the village, the village dies, repeat.

Nothing happens after civilisations are being made they dont live in this world they only die, they dont have any story, you just make them to make them but they dont end up existing in this world and in a couple of hours build new ones again just for the sake of building new ones.

So what you value could get described as permenance?  That you could leave behind a legacy that could last?

I think you're speaking more clearly than you were before Dodge.

Dodge wrote:

Picture the start of a new world, the beginning, Eve's spawn, families are made, civilisations are built, these civilisations interact with each other in order to progress and during that progression anything can happen but eventually if we played our cards right and didn't die due to poor management of ressources or bad relationships between civilisations then we reach a point where the lineages that made it up to here are advanced in a level of tech where they can build something that allows them to escape that presumed inevitability and essentially not end up doomed, and keep going.

I think they would have to have a steady state at that point of high technology then.  I don't see how such is consistent with "Everything Runs Out" or "Evolve or Die".

Dodge wrote:

Cant migrate or make outposts because everyone is stuck birthing in their own village, lineages die in a couple of days so no point of having anything long term, you cant really make trading roads between villages because it keeps expanding into infinity so the villages dont build any history or identity and eventually get lost, interactions arent really interesting since they are based on a forced predictability, you HAVE to get latex from the brown people instead of having a choice between getting it yourself but with some sort of cost like more dangerous to be in jungle for someone that isn't native from that region or interact with brown people.

I think I agree with everything here.  It's pretty bad.

Dodge wrote:

Now what if you werent forced to interact with browns to get latex, what if you had the choice between interacting with them or getting it another way although that other way would also have it's pros and cons.

If players had such a choice, I don't see how the current game designer would be deisgning this game.  He isn't able to design a game using such methods.  And I find it doubtful that he could work well with people who know how to do such.  Not from what I've seen at least.

Dodge wrote:

Since you dont NEED them for survival it means you have the CHOICE wether or not you would make that ressource available or not and since you wouldn't strictly need them to reach end game then there would be advantages to keeping that ressource for yourself and advantages aswell in trading it, in other words it would become a decision that depends on the situation and not some forced thing that you have to do by obligation everytime, bland.

Such definitely sounds more interesting to me.  I think it might also work better for new players, since they would have more possibility of happening upon such somewhat by chance, or clumsily.

Dodge wrote:

There's 12 different servers they could all have their own story, their own world.

It's 16 different servers.  bigserver2, and servers 1 through server 15.  Sure, that looks like a minor detail.  What is not so minor is that to have different servers with their own story, the game also would need more players, or the game has to be appealing enough in itself for low populations of players.  It would also require more code.  It would also be rather different than how the current game designer runs things.  It'd probably require a different philosophy for game development.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer