One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-22 15:32:41

ConfandibulumFlakes

BEST SURVIVAL STRATEGY HERE: BABIES KILL THEMSELVES

The only way to stay alive is if your mother has found a sustainable way to live.

So if you are not born in a town, run away from your mother as fast as you can and kill yourself.

Your mother's life is more important than yours UNLESS you are in a town.

If your mother tries to keep you both alive without a town, you will both die.

BABIES MUST KILL THEMSELVES ASAP UNTIL GROWNUPS CAN MAKE TOWNS.

Once there are enough towns, babies won't have to kill themselves.

Until then the only thing Babies can do to help civilization advance is DIE ASAP.

#2 2018-04-22 17:16:55

akoopatroop

Re: BEST SURVIVAL STRATEGY HERE: BABIES KILL THEMSELVES

The only problem is we don't even know if town are sustainable until the decay rate is fixed.

#3 2018-04-22 17:18:51

willowtree

I disagree! From my experience, baby 1 should stay until grown up once they settle down. if baby 2 is female, then she should leg it unless a stable source of food is secured.

#4 2018-04-22 17:22:02

ConfandibulumFlakes

I have only stayed alive to maturity in two ways: being born into a town, and being born to a very experienced player who can keep me alive.

When I spawn as an adult, I have never kept a baby alive to maturity.

Adults need to let babies die until the adults can sustain themselves.

I was just part of a two-person farm that was self-sustaining until CONNECTION LOST!!

Funny thing is I was next spawned to a woman whose first words to me were "F___ This connection lost B____S____."

I agree mom!

#5 2018-04-22 17:22:22

Nimue

yeah, decay is to freaking fast, baskets sucks now, where once made everything pretty and organized makes only mess, poberty, real state devalue and chaos!

#6 2018-04-22 17:45:04

JS

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1258

I RECOMMEND GREAT CACTUS FRUIT IN DESERT FOR BABIES.

Last edited by JS (2018-04-22 17:45:28)

#7 2018-04-22 19:21:27

Atticus

I disagree as well. Give your mothers a chance. I had plenty of Eves who managed to keep me and my siblings alive, and set up a successful camp for us to build upon.

Last edited by Atticus (2018-04-22 19:22:18)

#8 2018-04-22 19:48:35

mulgara

A decent Eve player can take care of a child while putting together the necessary tools for a good start. And that extra bit of investment in the beginning yields another helpful player who can get the camp started that much faster.

In fact, if I spawn as an Eve with a child, I'll pick up that child and look for a good spot. At that point, the kid isn't even slowing you down for anything, and by the time you get to a good starting area, they are ready to help you.

When you should suicide as a kid is when the Eve is clearly not capable of taking care of herself or the settlement and you are a boy. Your mom will most likely die and you'll either die shortly after or live by yourself the rest of your life.

#9 2018-04-22 22:18:52

Lily

I really wish we had younger Eves, so we didn't get birth instantly. I would say 95% of the time I play as Eve I have a child within the first 10 seconds of game, 70% of the time the baby has appeared before the screen even finished loading. I made the suggestion that Eve start a year  younger in the suggestion reddit and it has a huge number of upvotes, the idea basically seemed to be ignored.

You can easily keep your first child alive, but there is basically no chance you will ever be able to start a village yourself. Since the game gives your babies nonstop, once you start caring for them you can't do a lot. You got to rely on your children building the village for you, while you help a little here and there.

#10 2018-04-23 00:42:23

pein

seems now you give birth fast then nothing so i would keep first kid, im sure in my skills, i survive in wild and find my home, even without marker, i just see when the carrots grow, i need to head out and come back later, most people dont see this. so lot of them dies

one kid at a time, dont raise one when you holding one, suicide if you see other baby in moms hand
suicide when you see dry carrots in middle of green biome
suicide when no water closeby

still makes sense to clothe your kid and then suicide, now this is the trend, you need a good spot before settling so run until find it or suicide when getting old

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2018-04-23 03:05:41

NyanRose

The eves need babies to keep whatever they start going. However a baby too early is difficult to maintain. The mother should choose for herself what is most important. I usually kill myself though, I have started up so often I would rather be in a town tbh. It's boring doing the same thing over and over.

#12 2018-04-23 03:17:08

Go! Bwah!

I'm a fan of baby suicide in general, so I approve of this message (though I don't think it goes far enough).

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#13 2018-04-23 07:20:55

arkajalka

Oh please, this baby suicide thing is a serious problem for me. I've setup a good carrot farm dozens of times, but when you get girl babies they just suicide. And you dont get any decendants cause all your girls suicided and then theres no one to carry on with the village you setup. You get too old to have babies and all meaning withers away.

Seriously babies stop screwing your eves who have done hard job to build a farm.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#14 2018-04-23 07:47:14

Lily

Babies that suicide instantly are not really looking at the big picture, or even considering things very carefully. As a baby, how do you even know if your at a town or not if you are born while she is doing something outside of the town?

#15 2018-04-23 07:52:20

komody

Lily wrote:

Babies that suicide instantly are not really looking at the big picture, or even considering things very carefully. As a baby, how do you even know if your at a town or not if you are born while she is doing something outside of the town?

well, typically if they are running around with a basket of berries naked its safe to say they dont have a town, or they have a minimal settlement without even fire.

the biggest identifier is nudity, if someone is nude its safe to assume they are also townless, or if they are eve [blank]

#16 2018-04-23 08:07:02

pein

yes give 5 seconds to any mom you encounter, and yes talk 5 second after you born anyone, tell if wanted, unwanted
accept your moms decision

my sis made 12 kids, all my aunts were younger than my kids
had a baby geared her, had two more, wanted to let them starve
a stupid "aunt" fed both, i had them right after first and 3rd right after this lady fed second, only problem, she will give birth soon, also all her sisters, anything more than 1 daughter kills colony

i had runs where my naked mom was just away to make a basket for the city, she caught me twice then told me she has a city
adult naked female, at least put a skirt on, if no furs, no milkweed, city is in trouble anyway

also my other run lady explained that im the only hope, and she didnt call me Hope, so i was determined to have a girl then suicide, especially after seen the dry carrot farm in the greens, but she stepped on a snake, which is kinda my fault, mb if she doesnt feed me, she wouldnt run so fast

all in all asses the situation as mom and baby
i often hear "everybody deserves a chance". no its not, have you gear up yourself and your first baby? have you planted 4 berry bushes for each baby? have you brought 5 soil for each person in colony? do others got anything to eat?
cause its not fun that someone popping babies and they die at 8-10 year old, others walk 3 biomes away to eat properly

this persons deserve a bowshot,seriously, i see this primitive farms, and a woman has her 4th 5th kid, first thing i craft gonna be bow and arrow

dont be light hearted, the baby you born, more often than not its the last person died, which means the same baby i didnt fed, others didnt fed, because no food, or a kid starved at 10 cause no one explained to him/her where are berry bushes. so if you cant be sure the baby reaches 60, has a good headstart, dont keep it. i rather live once to 60 than 5 times 10 minutes. they born as eve or eves baby? np, they can suicide and come back 10 min later when food situation is fixed

especially now, i dont see how a family more than 6 person survives without tools

or say Q when you are born, easy enough

tell second kid next time say q when born, yes its simple but effective, all those who dont know this deserve to die, they need to look up, what it means, saves me time to decide who to keep, even if my first baby had 3 mins i would prefer the second if it says the code

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2018-04-23 10:59:40

paxpython

I keep all babies in the wild and even when in the city (if he is not wanted), I try to go out and raise them wild.

It's easy to survive if you just keep moving (specially in the desert) and finding sources of food, and after they pick stuff up, I just leave them by some bushes.

I hate to be born in a town were a 12 year old is saying to kill babies. That's when I commit in-game suicide.

I also hate babies who say F but then after I feed and name them run away without a word to die. There was once one that explained (letter by letter) before leaving. That was cool.

Also just to make my point. I will never kill myself. You will ear me cry until my last breath and you will have to pick my bones from the farm if you want to put that basket down.

#18 2018-04-23 13:44:32

prospeKt

You can live a nomadic life eating wild berries/carrots/onions/burdock until your first baby grows.

Then you have two players instead of one that can work together to set up a camp.

Babies can even be put on a border desert tile for optimal temperature and reduced hunger needs.

Gathering and keeping a stock of baskets filled with wild food should be the camp's priority.

#19 2018-04-23 14:03:25

ConfandibulumFlakes

The first line of my post is: the only way to stay alive is if your mother has found a sustainable way to live.

I would stay alive near any mom that has a carrot farm.

Even a mom that just has a basket.

But the uber-goal is to be of help to humanity as a whole, and to do that, ultimately, we have to consolidate the population around successful settlements as much as possible.

Look at it this way:
-if moms without camps are going to die *most* of the time
-and therefore their babies will die *most* of the time
-killing yourself instantly, when you'd just die anyway, saves everyone time

Until you find a mother with a stable place to live, killing yourself is merely taking a shortcut through the process that's going to happen anyway.

That said, it also gets boring AF so I don't strictly play this way.

#20 2018-04-23 16:05:34

Lily

There are often times when an Eve is naked even if there is a town. If they are an Eve and found a ruined town, there is a high chance they didn't find clothing there, especially with decay, so may be naked. They could have replanted all the carrots however. Also they can even be outside town eating berries if they are waiting for the first crop of carrots to finish growing.

Also if the Eve if building their own town, they may skip clothing in order to advance further in tech. Since time is limited, it is a trade off, but if there is enough food it may be worth it.

They might also be doing what I have done recently, and cactus farm. Every 4-5 cactus can permanently support a full adult. You can do it with bushes too but it is a bit more extreme. It is like 10 bushes to support one adult.

Also, it isn't true that if you have nothing you will die. There is always the the have a lot of children and make them do all the work approach. The more people there, the more work that can be done at the same time. Often times if this is disorganized you end up with 3 or 4 small camps, each with farms in the area as children run in every direction but if you focus you can get a nice settlement going. I have seen this work.

Also there is the baby Eve strategy. If you are born female, it is extremely easy for the mother to keep you alive until you can pick up objects, even if they have to sacrifice themselves. In this case you just act as an Eve yourself and you have an entire 10 minutes more time to set yourself up over a normal Eve before you have children. Which while a bit rough, gives you a huge advantage.

#21 2018-04-23 16:43:13

ConfandibulumFlakes

how do you plant cactus?

#22 2018-04-23 16:48:38

Lily

ConfandibulumFlakes wrote:

how do you plant cactus?

You don't, however they don't require any soil, and don't need to be watered either. To cactus farm you need to come across a good natural location where a bunch are growing together.

#23 2018-04-23 16:58:11

ConfandibulumFlakes

Hm I wonder if you can transplant them then, maybe with a clay pot or something...

#24 2018-04-23 17:12:58

Lily

At the moment you can't really do much with them, though I suspect that may change. Especially if Jason finds out we are fruit farming, and people have any success at it. Though for the time being if you can find a large patch of them, they are a great resource.

It would be neat if they were like berries and you could plant them but once they become domesticated, you have to start watering them. That would be balanced, since they provide more fruit than berries but the fruit rots if you don't pick them quick enough.

#25 2018-04-23 19:39:11

pein

im getting more pessimistic, less than 10% of players are okay
so kill first 3 kids as eve, keep daughters, if you see smart baby raise it

the most important is location, two ponds at least,  close by, some more in vicinity, some bunnies and reet
middle of green biome camps are noob camps, let them die off
its worth fighting on a good location, it wont worth on a bad one
its a high roll but you can give all clothes to a daughter and suicide, set up a milkweed farm, and die before your bar decreases, this gives some extra food and time for milkweed to regrow

Board footer