One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-23 05:12:06

KucheKlizma

How to deal with the carrot sponge once and for all

Problem:

People can eat a full bite slice out of anything when they are missing a single hunger bar.
A few seconds later they can do that again.
They can keep doing that until all the food in a settlement is consumed.

Solution:

Overfill - any additional hunger restored goes to an invisible additional hunger bar.
Prior to being able to deplete the main bar and be able to eat again, the invisible bar has to be depleted first.

Additionally:
Ideally temperature shouldn't directly affect hunger at all.
This seems like a placeholder which is ok, but it could use a little tuning down in the current state, until it comes to fruition, as it's a bit too much with little information on how to handle and very unintuitive.

#2 2018-04-23 05:34:49

Lily

Re: How to deal with the carrot sponge once and for all

That kind of defeats the purpose of a hunger box, though I do think a box or two of overfeed would be nice. Just a one hidden box fixes the griefing thing, and takes a little pressure off the really older or really young, while not really changing anything major.

#3 2018-04-23 05:49:21

KucheKlizma

Lily wrote:

That kind of defeats the purpose of a hunger box, though I do think a box or two of overfeed would be nice. Just a one hidden box fixes the griefing thing, and takes a little pressure off the really older or really young, while not really changing anything major.

What do you mean!? The invisible bar should be able to contain all food bars that are assimilated.

It would only prevent food getting wasted and reduce the possible ways to troll, hunger would still remain just as relevant as before.

#4 2018-04-23 05:52:10

towelieban2k

I always wish death by overeating is a thing. Sure some people might accidentally trip it and die but I think it would be worth it. Maybe five or six over max=death. Takes care of babies eating mutton too, and being force fed to over max hunger should result in nothing happening.

#5 2018-04-23 06:02:03

YAHG

The only issue I am seeing is people using their hidden hunger bar to be OP. Like lil babies
eating mutton to go on crazy adventures and old peeps using it to live to 60 easier.. This
doesn't seem like such a horrible thing to have in the game. At least it weakens the
eating troll.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#6 2018-04-23 06:07:36

breezeknight

@KucheKlizma
temperature affects hunger, hunger is basically a signal of a low energy level, low temperature means an external generally lowered energy level, which has to be compensated by a higher food consumption or by a more nutricient food, like more fat eg

so the hunger bar could be directly remade to a energy bar

a 3 or maybe 5 boxes of overeating could function, i am not sure
but it should be probably tested

@towelieban2k

towelieban2k wrote:

I always wish death by overeating is a thing. Sure some people might accidentally trip it and die but I think it would be worth it. Maybe five or six over max=death. Takes care of babies eating mutton too, and being force fed to over max hunger should result in nothing happening.

death by overeating - make a suggestion please https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/

#7 2018-04-23 06:30:08

Lily

If you could keep going over, you would just give a baby a bite of pie and it is good until adulthood. An extra hidden box fixes the problem of someone devouring everything in sight too quickly, while still maintaining the intending purpose of hunger.

#8 2018-04-23 07:41:06

pein

better: eating too much would make you fat
when you eat more than you should, the counter would increase with 1 for each bar you waste
after 50 your character would look a bit fatter and would become slower, to combat it, you would need to walk a lot of distance, like 2000 tiles
after 100 wasted it would become very fat, you could barely move

to other edge, if your character is never full in 10 minutes, it would become skin and bones, would be faster a bit
would be nice if exploring and would require a lot of micromanagement to not fill yourself up

would make charackters more visually distinctable, you would see if everyone skinny, you gonna have famine soon. also after fat guys would take an arrow, people would waste less calories.

the other would be, it wont let you eat pies until you are hungry at least, not starving, but hungry which is like 3-4 bars even as small kids

Last edited by pein (2018-04-23 07:43:52)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-04-23 07:52:57

Xuhybrid

KucheKlizma wrote:
Lily wrote:

What do you mean!? The invisible bar should be able to contain all food bars that are assimilated.

It would only prevent food getting wasted and reduce the possible ways to troll, hunger would still remain just as relevant as before.

So what would be the drawback to being young or old then? There does need to be some overfed bar, but it shouldn't be equal to what you ate. Technically if you ate twice as much food as you can hold, you'd be sick and puke it back up before digesting it. Realism aside, having a few bars of overfill would suffice and solve the problem at hand.

#10 2018-04-23 08:38:05

pein

the bar means that you are limited, by mistake or by intention, if you eat more you shouldn't be rewarded
and thats a reward. feeding your baby a mutton pie and leaving there? no way. you need to feed the baby to show you care enough to keep alive, and work together

also picking out last carrots and act like a hamster not to die? can be viable to store it but not in your face

part of the game that you need to be economic with everything, milkweed, cutting trees, food, even if you got a lot, it matters

the invisible bar should act as a timer only,not storage, you could not eat until it depletes but wouldnt act as food storage, thats decent solution
so you would lose the food wasted and you would lose same amount of time, as you wasted before eating
this could be deadly, so beiing hungry would reset your invisible bar, happens on mistake, wrong cling on pie , but if its intentional then this would help a lot
this way is okay

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2018-04-23 13:04:29

KucheKlizma

breezeknight wrote:

temperature affects hunger, hunger is basically a signal of a low energy level, low temperature means an external generally lowered energy level, which has to be compensated by a higher food consumption or by a more nutricient food, like more fat eg

That's not how it works though. Yes your body will need to produce additional heat when it's cold outside, which requires energy. However, if it's hot all you can do is sweat, which depletes your water and can cause dehydration (rather than require an increased food intake afaik). Furthermore walking in the snow naked for several years would kill you by hypothermia much faster than it would kill you by the increased hunger (Probably in about 15 minutes or so - so should be pretty much instantaneous in game terms). Actually you don't even need to be in the snow for that to happen. Same with walking naked in the desert sun - likely a sunstroke or hyperthermia ,or hypothermia during the evening, will end you before you have to worry about food intake

Either way it's unrealistic and unintuitive, which is why I think it's a placeholder - so I'm more focused on discussing how the numbers are tuned right now and if they're adequate in your opinion.

#12 2018-04-23 14:48:27

Nimue

i like the concept of weight and overfeeding death, overweight is nice for realism but it wouldnt stop a troll from eating all carrots or pies and becoming fat and slower, but at a certain amount causing death by heartatack or something is intersting, for instance i observed that now when a baby, the hunger bar only increaces when u get hungry, if you spend all your todler years os yours ma tits you stay temporary with low hunger bar, its a relative concept where what you exercise gets improved, in my opnion it should be implemented in other aspects, as speed, and food consumption. if your character runs a lot, it develops speed, if you wait until you have low hunger to eat, your food consumption diminish, if you eat to much, get fat and lower speed, things like that i belive would add to game.

#13 2018-04-23 15:04:39

KucheKlizma

pein wrote:

the bar means that you are limited, by mistake or by intention, if you eat more you shouldn't be rewarded
and thats a reward. feeding your baby a mutton pie and leaving there? no way. you need to feed the baby to show you care enough to keep alive, and work together

also picking out last carrots and act like a hamster not to die? can be viable to store it but not in your face

part of the game that you need to be economic with everything, milkweed, cutting trees, food, even if you got a lot, it matters

the invisible bar should act as a timer only,not storage, you could not eat until it depletes but wouldnt act as food storage, thats decent solution
so you would lose the food wasted and you would lose same amount of time, as you wasted before eating
this could be deadly, so beiing hungry would reset your invisible bar, happens on mistake, wrong cling on pie , but if its intentional then this would help a lot
this way is okay

By your logic, there's no point of food restoring hunger at all. Just make food not restore hunger and everything is fixed forever.
Why shouldn't it act as storage?

Nimue wrote:

i like the concept of weight and overfeeding death, overweight is nice for realism but it wouldnt stop a troll from eating all carrots or pies and becoming fat and slower, but at a certain amount causing death by heartatack or something is intersting, for instance i observed that now when a baby, the hunger bar only increaces when u get hungry, if you spend all your todler years os yours ma tits you stay temporary with low hunger bar, its a relative concept where what you exercise gets improved, in my opnion it should be implemented in other aspects, as speed, and food consumption. if your character runs a lot, it develops speed, if you wait until you have low hunger to eat, your food consumption diminish, if you eat to much, get fat and lower speed, things like that i belive would add to game.

Note, however, that the well-fed solution is a relatively simple graceful fix that's tried and true. It likely exists in almost every game with a Hunger bar. We should have it in OHOL even if it's for simple QoL.

I like the idea of having overweight as much as the next guy, but that's a major feature, that would likely take time to develop and take away from other content, while bringing less to the table (hehe).

#14 2018-04-23 19:47:31

pein

because the hungar bar is a limiting factor, you got 7 bars, you can eat seven, you got 25 you can eat 25, if you go above you need to be punished. if an invisible bar is present, that shouldnt  store anything, just decay as normal hunger bar, when your invisible bar depletes, you could eat again. so its basically a timer, the more you overeat, the more punishment. you could eat again when hungry or no invisible bar

#15 2018-04-24 12:32:21

KucheKlizma

pein wrote:

because the hungar bar is a limiting factor, you got 7 bars, you can eat seven, you got 25 you can eat 25, if you go above you need to be punished. if an invisible bar is present, that shouldnt  store anything, just decay as normal hunger bar, when your invisible bar depletes, you could eat again. so its basically a timer, the more you overeat, the more punishment. you could eat again when hungry or no invisible bar

Your idea solves none of the problems I listed and serves no other purpose than needless complication. Like I said, if you want pointless punishment the best idea is to disable food items giving food altogether. Why do we need food at all, it's much more fun re-spawning endlessly, isn't it?

No, the bar should be able to act as storage for all or large portion of the extra food, deplete as if it's the normal hunger bar, only restriction is you can't eat while "well-fed".
We still have to produce or otherwise obtain food items, there's no reason to punish players for eating it, by wasting most of the food. All this change would do is ensure all food is perfectly used (with the exception when someone sits in 100% cold or 100% hot to accelerate depletion) and reduce trolling with food. After this it can be tuned appropriately if the game gets "too easy". It's easier to balance a working system than a broken system.

#16 2018-04-24 12:54:14

Anshin

Overeating makes you fatter and slower is the only realistic way to go. The real question is how to depict fat without having to create new "fat state" clothes. A fat head makes sense, but everyone already has a round face.
Can the body sprites simply be drawn a % wider?

#17 2018-04-24 17:17:45

Turnipseed

Anshin wrote:

Overeating makes you fatter and slower is the only realistic way to go. The real question is how to depict fat without having to create new "fat state" clothes. A fat head makes sense, but everyone already has a round face.

Mabey just pudgy cheeks

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#18 2018-04-24 17:44:07

danger1penguin

I really really want a fat/diseased state that can kill you, there is just one huge hurdle. If someone else feeds you, they could kill you rather fast. If you dont allow overeating due to being force fed, then sponging will just occur differently (the griefer will force feed everyone and only eat normally, thus still wasting food rapidly). Either way it would give a griefer more ways to sponge and potentially do even more harm than current. IF THERE IS A SOLUTION TO THIS LET US KNOW!

As of now, this means the hidden food bars would be the best option. I think it needs to differ at different ages so you cant cheat as a kid or elder. The kids and elders might have 1-2 hidden bars and the inbetween have 3-4. Would also make sense as a child/elder digestive system would be slightly less flexible when it comes to ingesting more than the regular fill.

#19 2018-04-24 18:17:31

KucheKlizma

I think we should get a wellfed feature either way in some way, shape of form. It's just too good not to have, which is why most game do have it. At the least it can be QoL that creates more enjoyable and smoother gameplay.

Getting a fat mechanic at a later point would be fun as well. Though it can't really be all about how much you eat. It could essentially be a similar relation: (How much you eat divided by how much you travel/act) multiplied by random seed.
So people who eat a lot but also move a lot and/or do a lot of actions are going to be fine.
People who sit in one spot and eat all carrots are going to find it increasingly difficult to move away from their spot.
Random seed is for "genes" so some people are doomed or immune to it from the start - could be transferable via parents.

#20 2018-04-24 18:36:25

pein

KucheKlizma wrote:

Your idea solves none of the problems I listed and serves no other purpose than needless complication. Like I said, if you want pointless punishment the best idea is to disable food items giving food altogether. Why do we need food at all, it's much more fun re-spawning endlessly, isn't it?

No, the bar should be able to act as storage for all or large portion of the extra food, deplete as if it's the normal hunger bar, only restriction is you can't eat while "well-fed".
We still have to produce or otherwise obtain food items, there's no reason to punish players for eating it, by wasting most of the food. All this change would do is ensure all food is perfectly used (with the exception when someone sits in 100% cold or 100% hot to accelerate depletion) and reduce trolling with food. After this it can be tuned appropriately if the game gets "too easy". It's easier to balance a working system than a broken system.

solves intentional overeating, your solution means you feed mutton to a kid, let it go, and 10 min later reaches bell town
you got a hunger bar, manage it wisely, know how much you can eat, its perfectly fine

the other would be that your character automatically eats if got food in backpack and hunger bar is allowing to eat the type of item, or starving status shows up, this would help with backpack management, hard to drop all just to eat and take all back to pack

#21 2018-04-24 18:44:21

pein

Anshin wrote:

thats the point of sprites, if im not mistaken
look a baby in clothes, doesnt cover its face, pieces the parts of body together
i think it can be done with a bit of extra artwork, liek extra wide sprites

and then we can make the "yo mama so fat" jokes xD

Board footer