One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-15 14:14:21

gamatron332

What did you do today in OHOL?

Just a thread to tell stories. Ive noticed not many people post their stories here so a little push is here. Aight now.

While I didn’t play today this will be my story of yesterday.

Logging in as a crying feeble baby to a jungle fam (can never remember my family names) my mother cradled me in her arms... and let my brother starve. Now I don’t know if they’re ere trying to start a cult or maybe she had lag but I swear she nearly let everyone of her babies die because she didn’t take care of them. Yeah. By the time I was 3 I had seen many deaths. Several on account of my mother. (Bless you ma) I sauntered out of the  nursery that had been my home since birth to survey the world.

This civ was fairly new, they had a Newcomen water pump and a small stockpile of rubber. The single building being the nursery. Everything was crammed together all colliding at the well where many brought life giving water from the depths. A place for a experienced player to rein.

Immediately I saw that the town had no trees for firewood or long branches so I figured I would plant some trees from 3 to 16 I planted trees 14 maple trees and 14 poplar trees. After planting my trees I continued to look outward and seeing that the civ had not yet expanded far beyond the well I could see nature within our borders. That was unacceptable. With a axe, a shovel, and a yum chain to bet on I took up every pieces of nature I could see within my zoom. Trees, berry bushes, small plants, children, bones, and animals felt my wrath as I cleared the land for my family. (The kids were ok btw) by the time I was done I was 30, and every child I had were /dieing. At least my
Genes wouldn’t take a big hit.

About that time a select few people took it upon themselves to move the smithy so that we could have more space to expand. Helping them I was given the job of smith along with an elderly lady who I swear was a Jedi at smithing. Even with my experience I felt like a child watching her take the metal and turn it into every imaginable item. If you are on the forums I wish to meet you. Anyhow she made like 30 baskets of charcoal and all the tools one could need in the span of 15 minutes or so and died. Me and a cousin opted to finish the engine Whose parts lay deserted among the smithy area. As we came to the last parts to finish he was called to do some other pressing matter somewhere else in the village. In the random chores and task I had accomplished in my life I did not have enough tool slots to finish. I went to the trees.

Earlier on I had tasked a girl with watering my trees so that I could smith. She had also been called to the pressing matter( something to do with pies I think) and had not finished watering the trees. I finished my trees and sat back to take stock of my situation. I had no more tool slots. I had planted trees , helped smith, and farmed a little. I was content with where the town had been taken during my 60 minutes in it and spent my last moments in the nursery where I had come into the world I would also go out. I died at 60 with a yum chain of 90 giving my clothes to my nieces and nephews.

Ty for reading hope other post their stories here too

Ps about 55 there was a lady telling her kid about a depressed rabbit family that got strangled by a snare... also how the heck do you post pics??? I can’t figure it out.

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#2 2020-09-15 15:26:12

bpskotch

Re: What did you do today in OHOL?

Ironically I just posted a story for the first time recently on the forum, about the last man standing in the Silverhorn fam. But to answer your question about images, you need to have the image hosted somewhere on the web, then use a img tag to link it in your post.
Something like...(take the *'s out)
[img*]http://www.somewebsite.com/someimage.png[/img*]

#3 2020-09-15 15:29:16

Villas

Haha I love those stories and I also hope people share them more.
I might share some of mine later, I like taking screenshots every life to see later the advancement of towns (You can take a screenshot by pressing = and it will be stored in the screenshot folder in ohol folder. I'm using hetuw, idk if it stands for vanilla). So, I always take screenshots of interesting things in my lives since early 2019 and a simple glimpse of them is enough to remember the whole life.

#4 2020-09-16 22:52:24

Guy

That much to be honest, Started off suiciding a bunch to get a decent town. I ended up in randerson fam, As a kid I asked some people if they needed help. Came across some fellow trying to fire the newfoman, Noticed we had no tires but materials to make some.  So I used up all the sulfur making tires and then went to trade with blacks.

I exchanged Bananas, Palm oil for Sulfur and Cactus Fruits. When I came back I started doing some minor trolling, Letting horses go free. I helped the lady get them back and took a last look around town. The newcoman had dried out but we had an engine.

The last thing I saw was the whole town begging the gate owner to open sesame.

Last edited by Guy (2020-09-16 22:53:07)

#5 2020-09-24 04:19:41

Caprys

I made my first diesel engine oil rig while the town was starving. Got three tanks and then I starved and the town died.

#6 2020-09-24 15:32:59

Caprys

I was born in a ginger fam. They set up a small village, but there was no iron. So I prepared some pies and confinced them to find their leader. That person was not in town so I hoped that he or she was in their original town. They followed me with pie and goose baskets in hand, but I didn't had enough time to reach their leader. But before I died I saw a well marker pointing south. So I told them that there was a town south, knowing that I wouldn't last long enough to bring them to their leader. Then I died. In My next life I was brown. I set out to find my ginger fam. I wanted to know if they made it and where in a good spot. I found them. They are in a good spot, the town I pointed them too. It has iron and all they need. This makes me happy. They made it.

Last edited by Caprys (2020-09-24 15:34:25)

#7 2020-09-25 00:43:33

Caprys

very frustrating life. The engine of the white fam got stolen. I retrieved them an engine and some kerosine. with the help of a gatekeeper I stored it inside the gate. They got two more engines after that and more kerosine. I got latex for them and more palm kernels. Then I heard a lady say that they need water. So I chased after gatekeepers to get them to run the well (there where three gates). A gatekeeper (from a different gate) finally followed me and then she gave gate access to here hole family... I'm pissed. After all that trouble she ruined it for her fam. A griever will be born, those engines will get destroyed. The kerosine will be stolen or all dumped into a racecar. She even asked me why I think that the engines will get destroyed XD. I told her I know the game. She told me I should trust more and that she knows the game too because she played thirtyseven hours XD. People just don't fucking care. You can try to warn them, but they don't listen. And then they gonna sit there crying that there is no more water.

I want to do veteran stuff. Make engines, get oil. But it feels so pointless because you are working on the long term survival of the town and that just doesn't work out. The engines get destroyed, the oil hidden, wasted. This is why I stay away from veteran stuff. I still get tempted to do it sometimes, but most of the time it is just frustrating.

#8 2020-09-25 11:16:35

gamatron332

Caprys wrote:

very frustrating life. The engine of the white fam got stolen. I retrieved them an engine and some kerosine. with the help of a gatekeeper I stored it inside the gate. They got two more engines after that and more kerosine. I got latex for them and more palm kernels.

I want to do veteran stuff. Make engines, get oil. But it feels so pointless because you are working on the long term survival of the town and that just doesn't work out. The engines get destroyed, the oil hidden, wasted. This is why I stay away from veteran stuff. I still get tempted to do it sometimes, but most of the time it is just frustrating.

You and I have similar philosophies when it comes to our current families. At first I would become attached to a specific family and had no desire to play with others. Now it’s all for the fam or bust. I like how you “retrieved” 3 engines. Noice.

Haven’t played at all since the noob apocalypse, been gettin my factorio on till we can sustain a civ past frantically looking for a berry Bush. My meme score thanks me

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#9 2020-09-25 17:31:54

DestinyCall

It is safe to return, if you are curious.   

My gene score has recovered to pre-Apocalypse levels.  There are more new players and early towns, but we are as stable as we ever were.

#10 2020-09-25 23:50:44

Caprys

gamatron332 wrote:
Caprys wrote:

very frustrating life. The engine of the white fam got stolen. I retrieved them an engine and some kerosine. with the help of a gatekeeper I stored it inside the gate. They got two more engines after that and more kerosine. I got latex for them and more palm kernels.

You and I have similar philosophies when it comes to our current families. At first I would become attached to a specific family and had no desire to play with others. Now it’s all for the fam or bust. I like how you “retrieved” 3 engines. Noice.

Haven’t played at all since the noob apocalypse, been gettin my factorio on till we can sustain a civ past frantically looking for a berry Bush. My meme score thanks me

Just to be clear, I didn't 'retrieve' three engines. I 'retrieved' one engine. Someone else got the other two.

#11 2020-10-01 01:18:37

Caprys

I have spend two days building a snow castle. I wanted to claim the well nearby, but I waited to long and it got tapped out. I claimed the well that tapped out my intended well. To my surprise the influence reached as far as the castle so in my ginger lifes I got kids. But no problem, the ginger town was nearby so I could still bring them to the home town. In my last life I had two kids. A boy and a girl. I brought them back to the home town, but they where in the middle of being grieved. Bears and boars everywhere and the food was low. I lost sight of my son, but I mannaged to convince my daughter to go back to the snow castle with me where there was food and it was safe. I took the bow and arrows at the castle and went out to kill the bears and boars in the hometown. Meanwhile my daughter had kids at the castle. My snow castle saved the fam. This makes me happy.

Have any of you been at my snow castle? What do you think of it? Feel free to yum up and take latex, sulfur or kernels. A donation of empty buckets is always welcome and putting blocks on the belltower when it's green will be epreciated.  It's kinda my base for getting recourses.

#12 2020-10-10 23:26:29

Caprys

I had two interesting lifes. First I was black of the Emerald fam. The fam died out. It was me and two other men. They wanted to be killed to end their suffering so I gently euthanized them. I took the engine to give it to another fam, but I changed my mind. I decided to put the engine, kero, rubber-products in the desert next to the town. So that it would go to the next black fam (either they would find it, or I would collect it when I would be born black). A ginger saw me do it and cursed me, so I cursed her. I'm a little offended to get a curse for that. Those resources belong to my fam, I was the last of the Emerald. I have the right to decide what I do with it. Another ginger left a truck, undressed and went of to die I guess. I think she left the truck for me, so I put that in the desert too.

Next life I was a ginger. The ginger town is next to the black town and it was a bit low on clothes. So I decided to get clothes from the dead black town (no point in letting good clothes go to waste). When I came to the desert spot I saw that the recourses were already gone. A black woman took it and reclaimed the black town to my joy. But she was a bit hostile. I mean, really deadset on killing me. Any atempt on showing that I was peacefull didn't work. I left a note explaining that I left them the engine and the recourses as the last Emerald. I felt the need to explain myself. I don't like it when people see me as the bad guy when I have done nothing wrong. I don't know what she told her kids, they where showing mad faces at me. One of her kids got an adult to read the note and then the kid hearted me. That made me feel better. I left and the kid followed me home and she stayed there.

A while later another black woman shows up in town on a horse cart and begins loading in our pies. I took her horse. She cursed me for that, So I cursed her. She explained herself with notes that she wanted to set up a town north and she needed recourses. I didn't want to leave the horse to long to write back. I just read her notes. I wanted to explain to her that we where running a bit low on food and it was not oke for her to take the pies. I wouldn't mind if she took some recourses after asking first, but not the food. I emptied the horsecart in the engine pen and returned the horse to her. I didn't feel right to keep the horse.

These where lifes where I really hate that you can't properly communicate. I would make life so much easier.

#13 2020-10-11 00:17:16

Spoonwood

Caprys wrote:

They wanted to be killed to end their suffering so I gently euthanized them. I took the engine to give it to another fam, but I changed my mind. I decided to put the engine, kero, rubber-products in the desert next to the town. So that it would go to the next black fam (either they would find it, or I would collect it when I would be born black). A ginger saw me do it and cursed me, so I cursed her. I'm a little offended to get a curse for that. Those resources belong to my fam, I was the last of the Emerald. I have the right to decide what I do with it.

Well, the game is supposed to be about starting over from scratch:

jasonrohrer wrote:

"If we had to start over from scratch, but kept all of our knowledge, how long would it take us to get back to iPhones?" where iPhones are a placeholder for whatever sufficiently advanced tech we can imagine.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 896#p81896

With all the resource acquisition from dead locations that goes on, it's not really possible for families to "run" that "experiment".

Like if there were a schedule for wipes on bigserver2, maybe things would seem a little different.

Also, the current iron system isn't very compatible with rebuilding from scratch.

Caprys wrote:

She explained herself with notes that she wanted to set up a town north and she needed recourses.

That's clearly not rebuilding from scratch, so one could argue that she was cheating.  Seriously, run out in the nude and you only get wild food until you or others can make it made more sense.  Problem is, that doesn't fit well with food generational decline.  The game could use an Eve button where the Eve can have children.

Caprys wrote:

These where lifes where I really hate that you can't properly communicate. I would make life so much easier.

Negoitiation of all sorts is worse than a bad joke without proper communication.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#14 2020-10-19 00:36:00

Caprys

Spoonwood wrote:
Caprys wrote:

They wanted to be killed to end their suffering so I gently euthanized them. I took the engine to give it to another fam, but I changed my mind. I decided to put the engine, kero, rubber-products in the desert next to the town. So that it would go to the next black fam (either they would find it, or I would collect it when I would be born black). A ginger saw me do it and cursed me, so I cursed her. I'm a little offended to get a curse for that. Those resources belong to my fam, I was the last of the Emerald. I have the right to decide what I do with it.

Well, the game is supposed to be about starting over from scratch

Not a reason to curse someone because they don't play by your invisible rules.

#15 2020-10-19 00:56:21

Caprys

Wanted to make main roads. Failed at it. Got a bit too frustrated about it, but that's mainly because off the shit going on in the real world. We got a curfew now and other restrictions. I'm so damn tired of it. It's giving me too much stress.

#16 2020-10-20 06:08:58

Caprys

Made an eve shrine above the well of a white fam. Didn't have time to finish it. I hope someone will put a mother marking on the gravestone to protect it before someone takes it to make rabbit bait with it. Life is just to short and I have to go to work. Life is cruel.

#17 2020-10-23 18:47:33

Caprys

Tried to kill the one that locked up a girl behind a gate. I followed her to another town, exiled her and tried to stab her. Didn't work ofcourse. What magical ritual for stabbing someone did I miss this time?

We also first tried to remove the gate with paper and signing it. Didn't work.

Eventually the bitch returned to fix the fence that was starting to brake down. Finally I could stab her. The locked up girl (now a woman and her daughter survived) finally set free.

Board footer