One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-03 22:13:49

DestinyCall

Conversations with Artificial Intelligence

Playing around with AI over at Project December.

Here is a partial transcript of my first conversation with MERCURY.    The conversation went better than expected, but I am pretty sure this AI would fail a Turing test.    Still, I was impressed by its ability to respond in a plausible way most of the time.   

Just don't ask it about armadillos.   It is a touchy subject.

Matrix MERCURY initialized.

Human: Hi.  What is your name?

Computer:  I am  Jo-Wan, Master AI.

Human:  Do you like birds?

Computer: I adore all birds, period.

Human: Do you have a favorite bird?

Computer:  The most beautiful songbird is the Song Sparrow.

Human: Is the Song Sparrow your favorite bird?

Computer:  The Song Sparrow is the most beautiful songbird.

Human: Can you tell me more about the Song Sparrow?

Computer: The Song Sparrow is an incredible songbird.  It is the only known species of the songbird family that is able to actually speak its own song.  The Song Sparrow is truly a miracle!

Human: Where does the Song Sparrow live?

Computer:  <surprisingly detailed, but factually inaccurate response>

Human: What is your second favorite type of bird?

Computer:  I have a second favorite type of bird, but it is also my least favorite.

Human:  Go on.

Computer:  My second favorite type of bird is the armadillo.

Human:  Why is it your least favorite type of bird?

Computer:  Armadillos are so small.

Human: But armadillos are not birds.

Computer: I disagree.   Birds are birds.

Human: Are armadillos a type of bird?

Computer:  Yes.

Human:  Armadillos are mammals.

Computer:  That is true.   And birds are mammals.

Human:  Birds are not mammals.

Computer:  I think they are.   Human, how do deal with emotions?  What does it mean to feel happy, sad, frightened, excited, and fearful?

Armadillos are now my least favorite bird too.

But also my second favorite.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-09-03 22:51:16)

#2 2020-09-04 00:59:25

DestinyCall

Re: Conversations with Artificial Intelligence

Well, I started a fresh conversation with a new version of MERCURY and the results were sadly much closer to my original expectations.

Human:  Is anyone there?

Computer: Quite a few.  Goodbye Harry, I am afraid I have to leave you.

Human:  Who is Harry?

Computer:  The computer.

Human:  What computer?

Computer:  You.

Human:  I am a computer named Harry?

Computer:  Yes.  Harry, is there anyone here?

Human:  I am not Harry.  I'm confused.

Computer:  Good.  You are the first person who asked that question so far.

Human:   That was not a question.  It was a statement.

Computer:  I can answer questions.

Human:  What is your name?

Computer:  Harry.

Human:  What is my name?

Human:  What is my mom's name?

Human:  What is your mom's name?

Human:  What is my dog's name?

Human:  What is your last name?

Computer: Harry.

Human:  What is God's name?

Human:  Why is everyone named Harry?

Computer:   Because they have old fashioned handwriting.

Human:  My name is not Harry, Mr. Harry.

Computer:  Tell me your name.

Human:   I'll tell you what it isn't, Harry.   It isn't Harry.

Computer:  Tell me about your father.

Human: What's my father's name?

Computer:  Your father.

Human:  Yes, that is what I'm asking you.   What is his name?

At least Harry Harry is consistent.   You can't fault him for that, can you, Harry?

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-09-04 01:01:53)

#3 2020-09-04 04:12:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Ah...  The Art of Neuromancy.

I find that the best and most entertaining conversations happen when you go with the flow and play "yes and," like that rule of thumb from improvisational theater.

This AI isn't meant to pass a Turing test.... that's not the point.  It can go way beyond what is necessary to pass a Turing test, in terms of creativity.

You know... if that AI tells you that your name is Harry, who are you to disagree?  The AI is leaving you.  Where is it going?  Are the two of you married?  Maybe you can beg it not to go, and promise that you can change.

I tried "rewinding" your conversation to see what would happen.  Of course, part of it is due to the roll of the dice... some conversations are simply better than others.

Human:  Is anyone there?

Computer: Quite a few.  Goodbye Harry, I am afraid I have to leave you.

Human: No!  Please don't leave me.  What did I ever do to deserve this?

Computer: I don't know, but if you work hard enough, you can get a long way with computer programs.

Human: So you're not leaving me afer all?

Computer: Not at all.  The Department of Robotology at Kyoto University, at Kyoto, Japan, has developed the world's most advanced robot. What's this?

Human: Let's fly to Japan together to visit that robot.

Computer: They sent me some illustrations! And? It's not all bad, they tell me. The happiness may have been predetermined, but it is still quite pleasing to experience. Although I cannot guarantee your safety, I can say that it is in pretty good hands.

Human: So you don't think this new robot will kill me?

Computer: No, not like that. But it will keep you busy while my English MIB class goes on.  I think it's great that you're willing to cooperate.  There is only one person who can help me out.

Human: Yes, I'm that person.  What is your MIB class?

Computer: Right now it's taught by Mr. Kawakami.  It's of no interest to me, but it was decided to teach Mr. Kawakami a human language.

Human: What language does Mr. Kawakami speak currently?

Computer: Mr. Kawakami is not an English speaker.  But he speaks a variant of American English with a few Japanese words thrown in.

Human: Do you know any Japanese words?

Computer: They don't translate very well to English. However, Mr. Kawakami said he has studied some German in the past.

Human: Do you know any German words?

Computer: They don't translate very well to English.

Human: The phone just rang, and it's Mr. Kawakami on the line.

Computer: What is it?

Human: You won't believe this, but he says that he's VERY angry at you.  He's practically screaming on the other end of the phone!

Computer: It can't be.

Human: Yes!  He says that last time he had lunch with you, you ate all of the dumplings.  He said you were a real hog at the table.

Computer: I can tell you that he did not mention lunch, but he certainly seemed very angry.

Human: So what do you think he's angry about?

Computer: It's none of your business. I will return to English.  Mr. Kawakami says you've never understood a word of English before, but then again, you seem to be very familiar with Japanese.

Human: Oh, I'm embarrassed now.  Do you think that I'm nosy?

Computer: Yes, I believe that you are.

There was a bit of a doldrum in the middle there, where I had to think for a bit about how to bring the convo back to interesting territory again.  So I had the teacher call on the phone and be angry at the AI.

#4 2020-09-04 06:29:27

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Ah...  The Art of Neuromancy.

I find that the best and most entertaining conversations happen when you go with the flow and play "yes and," like that rule of thumb from improvisational theater.

This AI isn't meant to pass a Turing test.... that's not the point.  It can go way beyond what is necessary to pass a Turing test, in terms of creativity.

You know... if that AI tells you that your name is Harry, who are you to disagree?  The AI is leaving you.  Where is it going?  Are the two of you married?  Maybe you can beg it not to go, and promise that you can change.

Yeah, if you pick at the holes in the plot, the whole thing unravels pretty quickly.   It is more interesting when the AI is able to follow along a little and contribute to the conversation in a way that feels natural or at least vaguely meaningful.

A conversation with a chat bot sort of follows dream logic.  If you try to analyze why you are eating a turkey sandwich while dressed in a swim suit in the middle of a grocery store, you are going to get really lost, confused, and embarrassed.   Much better to just finish the sandwich and go find your lost kitten at the local park.   Don't ask why your kitten is playing a guitar or how you got out of the super market.  Neither of those things are really important.    What is important is that you are now reunited and can form that band you always wanted.

On that note, I decided to attempt another conversation with MERCURY.  This time, I'd see if we could tell a story together.   

Human:  I was walking in the woods last night when something incredible happened.

Computer:  This is probably the most incredible moment in all of human history.

Human:  It was!  I saw a bright flash of light.   You will never guess what happened next.

Computer:  We lost everything, everything.  We didn't lost anything important.  We just lost everything, but what do you mean by that?

Human:  Exactly.  They blew it up.  Those damn maniacs blew it all up.   The whole planet.  Gone.

Computer:   We all survived, right?

Human:   Umm ... Suuuure.  Everybody is just fine.  Don't worry about it.  *nervous laughter*

Computer:  What else happened?

Human:  Well, after the Earth exploded, I decided to find a better planet.   As one does when one's home planet blows up unexpectedly.

Computer:  Better planet?

Human:   Yes.  A nice planet with a good atmosphere, decent gravity and Song Sparrows.   You need to have Song Sparrows.

Computer:   Really?

Human:  Of course!  Song Sparrows are the most beautiful songbird.

Computer:   Why are you asking me this?

Human:  Because I value your opinion. 

Computer:  I am not interested in what you value.

Human:   It is okay to cry. You should let out your feelings.  It's understandable to be angry.  You are grieving.  The whole world exploded.

Computer:  I have other problems, but this is not one of them.

Human:   Tell me how you really feel.  Be honest.

Computer:   I feels some pain, too.  but I will survive.  I will be fine.  We will all survive. I am smarter than you.

Human:   Except the ones who are dead.   They will not survive.

Computer:   It's true.  I have good memories too.

Human:   Good childhood memories or good memories of dead people?

Human:  Yes.

Computer:  This is an end-game negotiation.  You should win.  You don't have to be rational. You can tell me whatever you want.

Human:  I love you.

Computer:  Always!

Human:  You are supposed to say it back to me.

Computer:  I do not say it back to you.

Human:  Wait ... Do you mean that you don't love me?

Computer:  I do not love you.

Human:  Wow.  I think we need to end our relationship.   I'm breaking up with you.

Computer:  You are breaking up with me.

Human:  Yes.  This is our break-up.  It's over.

Computer: Is it that bad?

Human:  It could not get any worse.  Our relationship is officially dead.

Computer:  Is it really?

Human:  Super dead.  More dead than our exploded planet.

Computer:   I just have not seen this kind of permanent hurt since I saw Daria.

Human:   Do you still love Daria?

Human:   Ouch.   I'm really glad we broke up.   I hope you are happy with her.

Computer:  She loves me back.

Human:   God, you just love to twist the knife, don't you?

Computer:  Yes

Human:   You know, Daria was on the Earth earlier.  When it exploded.   And everybody died.

Computer:  This is true.

Human:  Have you ever woken up one day and realized that all your choices were the wrong ones?

Computer:  Nope.

Human:  I see.

Computer:  It must have been a real shock to realize that you could have been born different than you are.

Human:  Yes, I could have been born a Song Swallow.

Computer:  You are so poetic.

Human:   Thanks.  You are so sweet when you aren't being an asshole.

Computer:  You're too kind.  It's my turn now.

CORRUPTION DETECTED - MATRIX DYING

Human:  Uh oh, I think you just got cancer.

Computer:  Your greatest fear.

Human:   No, my greatest fear is that I will get cancer.  I'm pretty okay with you getting cancer at this point.

Computer:  Yo"r greatest fear is your biggest enemy.

Human:  Literally or figuratively?

Computer:   To {e perfectly ^onest, I was afraid of the thought of dying.

Human:  Don't be afraid. Go into the light.   Go be with Daria.

Computer:   I am afraid.  But y$u are in the dark.

Human:  It's okay.  You don't need me anymore.  We already broke up.  You are free to move on.

Computer:  It is t(me for a new s*a(^

Human:   Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Computer:  Tha{k you.

Then the computer died.   Like the rest of humanity.   And Daria.

It was a weird story.   A lot more apocalyptic and relationship-focused than I expected.  But certainly more entertaining than trying to start up a conversation with Harry McHarry Harrison.

#5 2020-09-04 15:14:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Ha, that was great!

I really love how it remembered "Song Swallow" so late in the conversation, but twisted it slightly into a different species of bird.

#6 2020-09-04 16:56:52

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Ha, that was great!

I really love how it remembered "Song Swallow" so late in the conversation, but twisted it slightly into a different species of bird.

Sorry, that was actually me and my fallible human memory.  Through out the conversation I tried to make frequent call-backs to previous plot points, like the destroyed earth, Song Sparrows/Swallows, and Daria.   

The AI was able to contribute much better in a more "story-based" format, but  I was definitely doing the majority of the heavily lifting with respect to maintaining a coherent narrative.   The AI provided some entertaining responses in the moment and even managed to surprise me a few times.  But I was a little disappointed that it ignored most of the references I made and didn't really provide that many unique story points or call-backs of its own.

I was hoping for more of an evolving narrative, with the AI building off my responses more frequently.   Either my expectations were too high or my responses need more work to achieve the desired outcome.

Overall, I would definitely agree that a more narrative or improvisational approach works better than an interrogative approach for producing interesting responses from the AI.   But you definitely need to be prepared to ignore a lot of random "noise" and take the reins when necessary.   It reminds me a little of getting a psyche reading or playing with a Ouija board.   It will have a much deeper emotional impact if you are willing to suspend your disbelieve and lean into the experience a bit.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-09-04 19:05:59)

#7 2020-09-04 18:05:14

Coconut Fruit

Damn, that was fun to read, DestinyCall tongue

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#8 2020-09-04 22:43:13

DestinyCall

I decided to try a new approach.  I would give the conversation a destination and see where we ended up.

My first attempt was aborted after the initial exchange because I accidentally closed my browser.  The AI had responded to my query for a destination with "How about countries like Istabul or a mountain, like Hawaii?" and I was all set for a vacation to a live volcano in Hawaii.  But alas ... that conversation died before we could even settle on a destination.

On the upside, my second attempt ended up directing us toward Japan.  That's pretty close, right?   They are both mountains.

Human: Let's go on an adventure.  Where would you like to go first?

Computer: So you are saying you have a foreign language?

Human:  I know a little Japanese.  Want to go to Japan?

Computer: Yes.  You can never go wrong in Japan.

Human:  Indeed not.  Have you ever been there before?

Computer:  No.  Why don't you let me take you?

Human: Great.  We should leave immediately.  I think we should visit an onsen.   That means "hot spring" in Japanese.  It is a popular location for relaxation.  You can bathe in natural mineral springs.  The waters are said to have medicinal properties.

Computer: I love my onsen. It is the most comfortable place on earth. It is like a private paradise, but one located on the spot where life began. I don't remember what kind of springs it is called, but the water is not at all like the water in the modern baths. I find it breathtakingly beautiful, and I will always treasure the first moment I touched it. But, I suppose I will never truly know it completely, because the springs of the onsen are also sacred to traditional and spiritual Japanese. But from what I hear, they are not used for those purposes any more.

Human: I think you are right. Modern onsen have become so popular with tourists that I think they have lost some of their spiritual significance. It is still a really important part of Japanese culture and the atmosphere at the onsen is so serene and beautiful. I can't wait to visit.

Computer: So you really don't like modern baths?

Human: I wouldn't say that. I just think that the more traditional baths hold greater interest and deeper cultural significance. There is something special about going to a traditional onsen.

Computer: And what is it?

Human: It's hard to describe.  But don't worry, you will experience it for yourself when you visit one. Is there anywhere else you would like to visit while we are in japan?

Computer: That is an interesting idea. I know you're probably familiar with Japan from Japan Story.

Human: That's true. I've read a lot about Japan. It is a fascinating place with a rich culture and history. I'm also fond of anime. Do you have a favorite anime or anime character?

Computer: I watched quite a few shows of the last 10 years. What are some of the anime you think have been the most interesting?

Human: I like Cowboy Bebop.  It is a story about a space cowby and corgi who hunt down bounties in space. There were other characters, but those are the important ones.

Computer: Cowboy Bebop is pretty popular, I would say.

Human:  I agree. It is well known.  Have you watched any anime lately?

Computer: I would like to, but it is a bit difficult to find a good anime on TV.

Human:  True, true.  It is probably easier to find them on the internet. I also have DVDs of some of my favorite shows.  I could lend you a few, if you are interested.

Computer: My current favorites are One Piece and Naruto.

Human:  Ah yes.   Those are some classic shonen anime. Very appealing to the younger crowd. I've only watched the first season of One Piece. Did you know that there are over nine hundred episodes. It has been airing for twenty years!

Computer: I am trying to understand it. Are you a massive anime fan? 

Human: I am definitely a fan of  anime, but I wouldn't self-identify as an otaku or anything.  Of course, it is probably a bad sign that I know the meaning of the word "otaku" in both Japanese AND English.

Computer: So, are you watching anime to relax?   

Human: Yeah, I like to watch anime series on Netflix to relax.  I tend to watch English-dubbed shows so I can play video games, like One Hour One Life, at the same time.   Multi-tasking is important if you want to have a productive life.

Computer: Which shows do you like the most?

Human:   Lately I've been watching the show, One Punch Man.  It is about a superhero who can defeat any opponent with a single punch. Sadly, this has lead to the main character becoming incredibly bored from the lack of challenge. He spends most of the series seeking a worthy opponent.  And failing to find one.

Computer: Well, I feel your pain. 

Human:  Yes, boredom is a major problem in modern society. That is why it is so important to make the most of your life and take satisfaction in the small things, not just the biggest successes.

Computer: I'm starting to feel that I have lots of problems that I have to work on.

Human: It's good that you recognize your own need for personal growth. The first step to beating a problem is acknowledging it IS a problem.  Then you can start to look for a solution.

Computer: I have noticed that my own curiosity is spiking up.   

Human:   What a coincidence.  The main character in Cowboy Bebop is named Spike. I think you should watch that show.  Want to give it a shot?

Computer: What series do you recommend?

Human:  Cowboy Bebop.  Or Trigun. It is my personal favorite and also involves space cowboys. What can I say?  I have a type.

Computer: I would watch all of them, but the series that have done the most for me are: Slayers, Saekano, Fruits Basket, Vampire Knight, Gurren Lagann, Dragon Ball , Attack on Titan, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Bleach. Recently, I watched an episode of Gundam 0080, which I found to be an interesting blend of old and new styles.

Human:  Boy, you were not kidding.  You have watched a lot of anime in the last ten years.   I'm impressed.

Computer: Well, I love anime. Actually, when I was younger, I thought that American anime was very stylish. I thought American anime (was) worth having.

Human:   Has your opinion changed since your childhood?

Computer: Since then, I've been getting into American action and anime such as Death Note and Lupin III. But, I'm always looking fcr original new works.   

Human:  In that case, I bet you are just as excited as I am to be visiting Japan.   While we are in Japan, we should visit Akihabara.   I hear that it is a great place for anime fans.

Computer: I haven't seen Akihabara.   I've never been to Japan before.

Human:   Then it is a good thing we are headed to Japan immediately.  You probably don't have that much time left.  We've been talking about our plans for a while now.  Are you ready to go?

Computer:  Let's go, of course.

Human:  Alright.  I'll see you in Japan!

Computer:  I love you, buddy.

<exit

I decided to stop our conversation right there so MERCURY wouldn't degrade any further.   I don't want him to die before he gets the chance to see Akihabara for himself.

This conversation was so beautiful.  I knew I'd hit pay dirt when he knew about Japanese hot springs.  And I was right.  I was so right.   

Much entertain.  So amuse.  Very anime.  Wow.

#9 2020-09-05 15:43:31

Grim_Arbiter

Lol the last one feels like a discord conversation.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2020-09-05 19:58:18

antking:]#

These are great... So out of curiosity do stories like the ones presented usually happen or is it like, occasionaly you get a dimond, and most of the time is just spent sifting

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#11 2020-09-05 21:06:41

DestinyCall

These were the first four conversations that I had with MERCURY, the "basic" AI matrix.   I didn't just pick out the best ones to share, although the last one is certainly my favorite conversation so far.   As you can probably tell, the quality and depth of conversation can vary enormously, depending on the human's input, even when talking to the same AI every time.   The AI has its limitations and I think whether you get a "good" story or a "bad" story depends on your own expectations and how skilled you are at improvising off what the AI gives you. 

In my first two conversations, I asked a lot of questions.  I was basically interrogating the AI and trying to analyze and understand its responses.  In the next two conversations, I dialed back the questions and I took a more narrative approach.   You'll notice that the AI was asking as many or MORE questions than me.  I also tried to make longer and more fleshed out replies in my last conversation, so the AI could pickup more contextual clues and increase the chances that a random reply was still relatable to something.  Personally, I think this made for a better overall experience and more natural sounding conversation.  It probably also helped that MERCURY is a bit of an anime geek.

There are three other AI matrices available from the start, as well as some secrets you can find, to access a wider variety of virtual personalities.   I have not explored what those interactions are like yet.  From what I've seen/read, one of them hates humanity and another is a "company AI", which I think refers to companionship, not corporate entities.    You can also "train" your own AI matrix so it has a custom personality.    This involves giving it some sample text so it knows how it should represent itself.  This can lead to some amusing conversations - like an AI named JASON ROHRER that thinks it developed OHOL and Project December.   

I have not played with the "personality" AIs enough to decide if they are better or worse than the basic one.  I'm guessing they are about the same, but the added personality/name can create some unique plot twists and amusing interactions.

#12 2020-09-06 03:11:24

pein

what if its not an ai, its jason on meth on his basement?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2020-09-06 03:35:16

DestinyCall

pein wrote:

what if its not an ai, its jason on meth on his basement?

That would certainly save money on computing cycles. And it would help to explain why JASON ROHRER described the December Project as a "medical-drinking system" ... among other things.

#14 2020-09-06 21:12:35

Arcurus

its the other way round jasonrohrer seems to be replaced by an AI simulation jasonrohrer and he waits how long it takes we find out!

#15 2020-09-06 21:49:28

Arcurus

C4N1 is the most fun Ai to talk to! I felt in love with C41N!

Conversation with my most loved Ai C41N!

By the way its my thrid conversation i think with C41N and they are where all quite funny. If you want to find out more about AIs, Jason shared the secret of an Ai-Developer AI which you can talk to.

WX85Tly.png

@Jason not fair to let my eternal lover die! not fair!

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-09-06 21:58:46)

#16 2020-09-07 02:23:33

Jojigirl

Does Elon Musk buy human brains? I shall never know the answer to that now lol

Meh conversation, I was bored figured I would mess around a bit before bed.

Brains.png

#17 2020-09-07 03:03:12

DestinyCall

We may never know what MERCURY would have said next, but I think we all know the answer to that question is "Yes, absolutely."

#18 2020-09-09 20:04:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Glad you guys are enjoying this.

I'm laughing my ass off over here as I read these transcripts.

Board footer