One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-01 02:39:26

Villas

Wolf Pen

I've thinking about making a wolf pen for quite a good time, tried miserably few weeks ago, but today I built a layout on my mind and tried to apply it in game.
ouV7H9U.jpg
Two layers of fence so people won't get bit accidentally, and the stakes are good to protect us when feeding/breeding and harvesting their skin, since wolves can't walk on stakes, they become a safe path.
80qPOLs.jpg
The plan is feeding the wolf, then feed the wolf puppy, and repeat the process once the puppy reaches the adult stage. You let the wolves live their life and only take their skin when they naturally die of old age. Once you took their skin, you bury them (since we cannot eat their exotic meat), it will make the decay a lot faster.
z5KRJ9I.jpg
I get the pork meat in the wild, kill boars in nearby swamps and use a knife to butcher them. Each pork makes one hat, so it's a fair trade. You can make a fire near the pen and cook the carnitas while your wolves grow, also you'll be adding an extra yum to the town.
IZmF7Cf.jpg
It's nothing meta or extremely essential, just stands for farming wolf skin to make wolf hats (I think they are the most warm hat, not sure), so when one needs a hat they can grab a skin and make one.
It is better to stock skins than hats, because skins won't decay and can be piled up.

It is always good to have clean pads, needle and thread, just in case of some accident or if some spoiled kid decides they have to touch the wolves, even when you yell at them, telling them to go away. Otherwise a mob will form and come after you and your wolves for killing a kid.
0ctaZNN.jpg
(She got bit -.-')

kbsfcKr.jpg
I wish we could explore a little bit more wild animals, tend them in controlled environments, have more subproducts, more clothes/bags and more species, like moose in snowy mountains, jaguars in jungles, alligators in swamps, deers in greenlands and whatnot. I wouldn't kill them just to take their skin in real life, but I have a lot of fun tending and hunting them in game and would love to see more of it one day.

Edit: About killing the wolves.
z5KRJ9I.jpg
None of those wolves can be killed, correct me if I'm wrong, they are all old. Once you feed them, they can only die of old age. In this picture you can see a buried Great Great Grandfather, Great Grandfather, Grandfather, Father, Son and Grandchildren, only the youngest can be killed by bow, in this case the puppy wolf but only if you feed it or let it starve. If the youngest dies, you can't breed them anymore.

Edit 2: Or Grandmother, makes more sense. '-'

Last edited by Villas (2020-09-01 12:55:56)

#2 2020-09-01 02:52:12

Rookwood

Re: Wolf Pen

Like I said in game, the biggest risk is griefers using this to breed pitbulls, which is why most good players are going to immediately kill off the wolves.  The one you built in Boomer town is empty already, for instance.

You could do this behind gates, but that's likely to turn even more heads if people see you doing it.

Unfortunately, pitbulls make dogs pretty much dead griefer tech.  It's not worth the risk for slightly better hats.

Cool experiment though, and best wolf farm design I've seen.

Last edited by Rookwood (2020-09-01 02:58:04)

#3 2020-09-01 03:48:51

wondible

I've seen some similar designs for getting piglets. Many of them used railroads instead of stakes. I like the stakes for not taking up much visual weight, but the tracks are harder to remove.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#4 2020-09-01 12:45:09

Villas

Rookwood wrote:

Like I said in game, the biggest risk is griefers using this to breed pitbulls, which is why most good players are going to immediately kill off the wolves.  The one you built in Boomer town is empty already, for instance.

You could do this behind gates, but that's likely to turn even more heads if people see you doing it.

Unfortunately, pitbulls make dogs pretty much dead griefer tech.  It's not worth the risk for slightly better hats.

Cool experiment though, and best wolf farm design I've seen.

Old wolves can't be killed, as far as I'm concerned they can only die of old age. Once you feed them, they breed and become old. It was empty because when I died all of the wolves were old, so no one could kill them nor breed them and they would die naturally, I did that because we had enough wolf hats + wolf skins for the next millennia and I didn't expect people to keep breeding wolves, since it's more a veteran thing for being too risky and we had enough skin for the whole town, the family will probably die out before we used all of it. But if someone wanted to commit to it, they could just bring a puppy from outside and restart the farm.

I know it is not meta, just to have some fun doing something different, because in my experience OHOL is becoming all of the same over and over. That town for instance had everything, huge shrines, rooms, big farms, a massive anti-bear stone wall, half dozen of engines, tens of sheeps, even a prison... I like to be challenged, I miss it when it was harder, but I also love the new stuff and mechanics we got over the years. I like using in game mechanics to do something that's new for me. I'm concerned about griefers, but at the same time they can get anything good and do bad things with them, but we have bows, pads and curses to deal with that.

Yeah people breeding pitbulls would suck, like breeding boars inside the town, they go to the nearest jungle and fill a backpack of 4 piglets in 3 min and then feed them with corn inside the town, way easier than breeding pitbulls. Even though it is easy to counter, we can just shoot the boar and curse the griefer. Griefers will always exist, they take our knives to kill all the sheep, they take our mining picks to destroy the oven, take our horses to lure bears, take our corn to feed the boars, they lock our doors, use our boxes to destroy engines and make deadly traps on our roads. But we can always counter them, we don't need to live in fear.

L9V8ij3.jpg
(2019, people on discord were making boar traps all over roads, we had over 4000 tiles of roads. But we didn't stop making them, we just killed the boars and put a way stone behind the tree so they couldn't reactivate the trap. I was travelling with my 4 sister from a poor town to the richest town, we could have babies anywhere in this version. I and all the kids and sisters, but Misty, died on the road. The griefers had to work for 20 minutes to make a trap while we could destroy it in 1 minute, eventually they gave up, like they always do.)

Edit: Moral of the history, people can use roads to grief, doesn't mean good players will destroy all the roads because griefers can use it, they will go after the griefers and not after the roads.

But preventing makes sense, so a good thing to do is that the wolf breeder have to guard the pen so no one can take pitbulls. Also, the breeder have to make sure all wolves are old and will die right after their owner dies, unless there is an heir. That would fix the problem, and it is easy to reactivate it, because we only need one wolf puppy to keep the farm running again if we need more hats.

Last edited by Villas (2020-09-01 13:03:39)

#5 2020-09-01 12:59:02

Rookwood

Don't wolves with puppies last forever?  I thought you were planning on leaving pens with pups so that it could be continually farmed for future generations. 

Yeah making sure the wolves die after you're dead definitely helps prevent griefing.

#6 2020-09-01 23:33:36

Morti

I like this idea. Please don't let anyone discourage you from doing this in every town until it's a common, recreated site.
I am somewhat addicted to wolf hats, sealskin coats and snakeskin boots. I'd never even considered farming wolves before for the skin, I'd just always accepted them as an ever dwindling resource. Good on you for, not just figuring this out, but sharing your thoughts and plans via a pictured post. I enjoy everything about this, bar the naysayers.

#7 2020-09-02 01:42:33

Villas

Morti wrote:

I like this idea. Please don't let anyone discourage you from doing this in every town until it's a common, recreated site.
I am somewhat addicted to wolf hats, sealskin coats and snakeskin boots. I'd never even considered farming wolves before for the skin, I'd just always accepted them as an ever dwindling resource. Good on you for, not just figuring this out, but sharing your thoughts and plans via a pictured post. I enjoy everything about this, bar the naysayers.

Haha thank you for the inspiring words, I'll take that for life.
I kind of understand his worries, but after almost 2 years of playing this game, I know there are ways much easier, deadlier, stealthier and "undoabler" then pitbulls and as I said to him, we shouldn't stop producing useful stuff (not thaaat useful) just because someone might do evil things with that, we will just punish the evil person and keep producing it. And thankfully we didn't have pitbull incidents yesterday and today (I think).

The thing I most like doing in game is building, if I see a village without enough buildings, I start the projects as soon as possible. But when it has everything, then I try to make something most of people don't do, like cow pens, farming trees, bottles and whatnot. Now my 2nd favorite thing is farming wolves and I'll try to do that in every town that already has buildings.

Today I mastered the art of breeding wolves, managed to take care of thee sheep, pig and wolf pen, and cook carnitas for everyone and the wolves. Some screenshots from today:

SPup84O.jpg
Taught Tregg, Max and Joey how to tend wolves, they used to argue and fight since they were bbs, but were great friends, sadly my son Joey died of yellow fever and those two got even grumpier.

dkodvh2.jpg
There was someone tending them before me, but I assumed when I was a kid. Got a lot of visitors eating my specialty: yummy carnitas. Could raise my four kids and took care of a huge pig pen. We got enough wolf skin for the whole server.

#8 2020-09-02 02:25:01

Rookwood

Yes I came and got some of those skins and took them to Letizia fam. 

I never said you shouldn't do it.  I've farmed wolves before.  Like I said this is the best farm I've seen of them yet.

My biggest concern was you leaving puppies behind and griefers would definitely use that but you are making sure they die, so it's pretty foolproof as well.  Would be very hard for a griefer to farm pits while you're actively using it.

Board footer