One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-26 00:26:33

Melonaise

Expert family marker?

How are these supposed to work? There isn't one for every arctic/jungle/desert biome I come across -- even big ones -- so sometimes I have to wander quite aways to get a direction. And then sometimes it points me to dead towns, although it looks like they haven't been dead too long based on the well still has a family name. When there are multiple jungle/ginger/desert families, how does it decide which one to send you to? I spent 20 "years" today trying to find the jungle family only to end up in a dead town at the end of the quest (when I died -- I had passed a couple dry well markers pointing in other directions I could have checked out if I had more time).

#2 2020-08-26 01:59:10

wondible

Re: Expert family marker?

Markers follow a similar grid to the wells, but only where it hits a special biome. It's kind of up the random generator to be in the right part of the world for that biome and have it hit the grid.

It will point you to a person of that type if one is nearby, or to the nearest homeland of that family. Sounds like you hit a few cases where the family had just died out, or a traveler used a well in a dead town.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#3 2020-08-26 02:39:37

Uncreative Guy

Expert stones, to my knowledge, point you to the expert of whatever biome they are found in.  The jungle experts (brown fam) are pointed to by a waystone inside a jungle, the arctic experts (ginger fam) by a waystone in the arctic, and the desert experts (black fam) by a waystone inside the desert.  The translators or language fam (white fam) do not have a waystone.

Let's say you wanted to find the jungle family, so you click on a jungle waystone.  The waystone will point to one of two things.  If there is a jungle expert within 100ish tiles, then the waystone will point to them.  If not, then the waystone will point to the nearest well owned by any jungle family currently on the map.  Because eves spawn continuously west, fams can end up being very far away from each other.  A well becomes vacant and the old family using it is erased if it hasn't been used for an hour, or the last person in the family dies.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#4 2020-08-26 14:23:22

Melonaise

Well my second life yesterday I was born into jungle fam and thought "great, I can go take the stuff to desert fam that I know they need." Instead the desert marker pointed to an empty tile within sight of the desert expert marker, no where near anything.

Last edited by Melonaise (2020-08-26 14:24:06)

#5 2020-08-26 20:06:19

Matbat

Melonaise wrote:

Well my second life yesterday I was born into jungle fam and thought "great, I can go take the stuff to desert fam that I know they need." Instead the desert marker pointed to an empty tile within sight of the desert expert marker, no where near anything.

Expert waystones point you towards the nearest person of the expertise you are looking for.
If a desert person is 2 tiles away from you it will point to them instead of their home 500 tiles away
this especially makes it tricky when the families are further away like 2000 tiles because an
expert you're looking for could be traveling nearby just exploring but their family that would actually help you is much further.

#6 2020-08-27 00:11:27

Melonaise

Matbat wrote:
Melonaise wrote:

Expert waystones point you towards the nearest person of the expertise you are looking for.
If a desert person is 2 tiles away from you it will point to them instead of their home 500 tiles away
this especially makes it tricky when the families are further away like 2000 tiles because an
expert you're looking for could be traveling nearby just exploring but their family that would actually help you is much further.

But when it's pointing like 6 tiles away and I can clearly see there's no person there and no sign there was ever a family? Like I walked in a circle around an empty tile and the little radar arrow just kept turning to point me to that empty tile. Should I report this as a bug or is this expected strange behavior?

#7 2020-08-27 00:19:10

DestinyCall

Sounds like a bug to me.   It certainly isn't helpful.

#8 2020-08-28 03:45:50

Matbat

Melonaise wrote:

But when it's pointing like 6 tiles away and I can clearly see there's no person there and no sign there was ever a family? Like I walked in a circle around an empty tile and the little radar arrow just kept turning to point me to that empty tile. Should I report this as a bug or is this expected strange behavior?

Ah yeah, thats because the expert waystone points you towards the nearest expert, but only where they were. It doesn't constantly track them it just, like, sets a home marker where they were standing when you touched the waystone.

#9 2020-08-28 06:57:05

DestinyCall

Matbat wrote:
Melonaise wrote:

Ah yeah, thats because the expert waystone points you towards the nearest expert, but only where they were. It doesn't constantly track them it just, like, sets a home marker where they were standing when you touched the waystone.

What's the point of that?     Shouldn't it always point to the nearest active well site instead?

You don't need to find where a guy used to be standing.  You need to find a settlement.

Board footer